• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

X's 2014 Fearless Off-season Plan V1.1

Overall:

I feel the team isn't that far off. Injuries of course caused us major issues since our depth is sub-par but that seems to be an annual issue. The coaching was average but Pettine was very good. The offense needs offensive line help and a few key additions and subtractions. The defense does as well.

Coaching:

Marrone is safe as is Pettine of course. Hackett is very much on the hotseat. We do have the 2nd ranked rushing offense so I think he gets another year.

Fire:
    Danny Crossman

Hire:
    Bobby April

Free Agency:

Cap wise the link says we will go in with 28.6 in room.

We will burn through a good chunk with Byrd and Carrington. However, some other moves will give us room to make a few signings.

Re-sign:
    Jarius Byrd- He'll get 8-8.5 mill per with a cap number of say 6-7 next year
    Alex Carrington- Could bring 4-5 mill per and around that in a cap number
    Dan Carpenter
    Jim Leonhard
    Brian Moorman

Let walk:
    Scott Chandler
    Arthur Moats
    Thomas Welch
    Chris Hogan
    Antoine McClain

Cut:
    Erik Pears- 3.45 cap number and 550k in dead money means a savings of 2.9
    Kevin Kolb- 3.6 mill cap figure with only 500k in dead money. He's on the IR and he'll be gone.

Pay cut:
    Stevie Johnson- Reduce the cap number to 5.5 from 8.5. Gives us 3 mill in cap space

Trade:
    Marcel Dareus- a 6.5 mill cap figure that all would be dead money means he's here unless he's traded and then we recoup all of it I believe. Branch re-signed and him being late so many times makes him being part of the Bills going forward very much in question.

Those moves take us from 38.2 to 44.97 in cap room. 10-12 is eaten up by Byrd and Carrington. Probably have 30 or so left.

Sign:
    RT- Zach Strief- Could bring 4-6 per in cap number
    OG- Jerry Asamoah- 3-4.5 per in cap hit
    CB- DRC- 3.5-4.5 per in cap hit
    OLB- Jason Worilds- close to vet min

Thats a max spend of 15 mill in new cap hit from FA. Leaves us 15 mill which is plenty for the draft and fill in's

Draft:

1) Move down to mid to late 1st and grab a 2nd. Draft Eric Ebron, TE, UNC
    2a) Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU
    2b) David Yankey, G, Stanford
    3) Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
    4a) Daniel McCullers, DT, Tenn
    4b) (Supp) Max Bullough, ILB, Mich St
    5) Taj Boyd, QB, Clem
    6a) Ryan Groy, G, Wis
    6b) (Supp) De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Ore
    7) Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley

Depth:

QB- Manuel, Lewis, Boyd
    RB- Spiller, Jackson, Thomas
    WR- Woods, Moncrief, Stevie, Goodwin, Easley, Janis
    TE- Ebron, Smith, Moeaki
    LT- Glenn, Hairston
    LG- Yankey, Legursky
    C- Wood
    RG- Asamoah, Asper, Groy
    RT- Streif, Hairston
    DE- Williams, Hughes
    DT- K Williams, McCullers
    DT- Dareus, Branch
    DE- Carrington, Bryant
    OLB- Van Noy, Bradham
    ILB- Alonso, Bullough
    OLB- Lawson, Worilds
    CB- Gilmore, Robey, Brooks
    FS- A Williams, D Williams
    SS- Byrd, Leonhard, Searcy
    CB- McKelvin, DRC, Brooks
    K- Carpenter
    P- Moorman
    LS- Sanborn

Don't make the team:
    Meeks
    Graham
    Powell
    Charles
    Welch
    Roberson
    Unga
    Gragg
    Tuel
    Rodriguez
    Elliot
    Hopkins

---------------

Updated 12/30- Keep Urbik, cut Kolb, trade Dareus
    Last edited by X-Era; 12-30-2013, 11:23 AM.

• The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: X's 2014 Fearless Off-season Plan V1.0

To me we can improve our offense more with veteran skill players than O-lineman, Also not sure how you'd think we'd get Jason Worilds at the vet minimum as the guy's increased his sack total each season he's played over the last 4 years and got 8.0 in 2013. Also while I'd like to bring in some help at CB not sure I'd use the space on a guy like DRC. A guy like Kelvin Hayden might fill be better suited here.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Caussin and Batten have been cut a long time ago. Where have you been?
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
        To me we can improve our offense more with veteran skill players than O-lineman, Also not sure how you'd think we'd get Jason Worilds at the vet minimum as the guy's increased his sack total each season he's played over the last 4 years and got 8.0 in 2013. Also while I'd like to bring in some help at CB not sure I'd use the space on a guy like DRC. A guy like Kelvin Hayden might fill be better suited here.
        Worilds has a cap hit this year of about a mill. I'm only saying he won't command huge money. Could be a mill or two in cap hit. He's been inconsistent until this year. If he commands a lot more than forget it.

On DRC I just want a vet to push McKelvin or to at least be a solid #3 CB. Robey should never have been up against Vincent Jackson for example. And I like Robey. We need veteran depth at several spots. CB is one.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
        Oops, lost I guess. Lol.

This can be fixed.

Comment

• elltrain22
          • Sep 2003

I like it. Very well done. I especially like the new offensive line. I also like it b/c it is very realistic, and also like the fact that you had resigning Byrd priority number 1.
          If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• BillsFever21
            • Aug 2004

Urbik isn't the greatest but if we only saved 870k by releasing him then what good does that do? At the worse he would be a reliable backup for us. You won't find anybody else for the 870k in cap savings from cutting him.

Our starting guard position is already bad enough with a glaring hole at LG. The depth is even worse. No sense in cutting a veteran player just for the sake of it when you will only save 870k. Not only do we need a reliable starter(s) at them positions but we also need depth. No sense in creating anymore holes over 870k. It will cost a draft pick to replace him or any scrub free agent brought in would cost at least that much. We could always see what Colin Brown is doing nowadays.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
              Urbik isn't the greatest but if we only saved 870k by releasing him then what good does that do? At the worse he would be a reliable backup for us. You won't find anybody else for the 870k in cap savings from cutting him.

Our starting guard position is already bad enough with a glaring hole at LG. The depth is even worse. No sense in cutting a veteran player just for the sake of it when you will only save 870k. Not only do we need a reliable starter(s) at them positions but we also need depth. No sense in creating anymore holes over 870k. It will cost a draft pick to replace him or any scrub free agent brought in would cost at least that much. We could always see what Colin Brown is doing nowadays.
              I won't disagree. I'm a fan of vet depth.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                Caucasian is still on the team
                GO Gators!!!!!!
                GO GATORS!!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                  • Feb 2004

X nicely done...
                  I don't think k we bring back Moorman or Leonard...
                  Urbik I think stays.....

What about Mario restructuring his contract?
                  GO Gators!!!!!!
                  GO GATORS!!

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by tampabay25690 View Post
                    X nicely done...
                    I don't think k we bring back Moorman or Leonard...
                    Urbik I think stays.....

What about Mario restructuring his contract?

He has a $10.8 million roster bonus that could be converting into a signing bonus for proration. Save $7.1 million there alone. Almost enough to get Byrd re-signed

Comment

• tampabay25690
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by clumping platelets View Post
                      He has a $10.8 million roster bonus that could be converting into a signing bonus for proration. Save $7.1 million there alone. Almost enough to get Byrd re-signed
                      Thanx for that info
                      GO Gators!!!!!!
                      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Good job, X.

But I think we will continue to plod along in quiet mediocrity, which is what we do so well. We will let Byrd go, and spend the draft and free agency filling the holes created by losing Levitre, Byrd and others (e.g. David Nelson - did anyone else see him killing Miami yesterday?), and trying - while staying well below the cap - to catch up with a league that is quite a bit ahead of us.

The related combination of letting quality players walk and keeping our cap money under Ralph's mattress has created an unprecedented 14 years of s**t.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

DT and MLB need to be a much higher priority. As much as I like K.Williams and Kiko, it's time KW moved aside into situational duties and a real space-eater was brought in to man the middle. Kiko is too light in the ass to play MLB against the run. Screw Byrd, plug in Duke Williams to be the safety valve and spend the money where it will help the most, on the o-line and defensive front seven.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Overall good stuff X. I don't agree with keeping Leonhard or Moorman at this point but it is what it is. Also I think all the assistants are retained unfortunately.

On the FA's I like Streif, and Asamoah. You know I like DRC and Worlids is ok too.

Im hesitant to agree that Van Noy lasts to Round 2 but if he does he's a steal. Same with Moncrief in Round 3. Not really interested in Tajh Boyd but we could do a lot worse. I think you need to add some OT depth instead of the OG in Round 6. You only have three on the roster you posted. I'm not huge fan of Ebron because he's a bigger slower WR who can't play inline. Nice hands and a big time mismatch issue but I want a TE who can add something to the running game as well.

Also I think Stefan Charles beats out Corbin Bryant for a spot based on potential alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            DT and MLB need to be a much higher priority. As much as I like K.Williams and Kiko, it's time KW moved aside into situational duties and a real space-eater was brought in to man the middle. Kiko is too light in the ass to play MLB against the run. Screw Byrd, plug in Duke Williams to be the safety valve and spend the money where it will help the most, on the o-line and defensive front seven.
                            To be fair McCullers is a space eater, he's 6'6 340 on a light day.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Thurmal
                              • Oct 2005

If we tell Steve Johnson to take a $3 million/year paycut, he'll say "no," so does he get cut then? And you're not resigning Chandler, so know your two most productive receivers are gone.

I'm also not sure why Alex Carrington, who has four sacks in his entire career, would garner a $5 million/year salary.
                              "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

Working...
                              X