PDA

View Full Version : So what do we learn about the 2013 Bills?

ghz in pittsburgh
12-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Marrone looks like a CEO that oversees offense & defense, maybe not as much the special team. That is a biggest departure from the previous HC's we had for the last 14 years (Gregg, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey were all so much one sided).
This defensive is going to tilt towards the high end of risk/reward ratio in terms of big plays (e.g. sacks vs 20+ yard plays given up).
The run defense seemed to be a constant deficiency throughout the season which may point to personnel issues.
There are some attitude issues like Dareus which was not brought up to the surface before (I don't believe he never had the same issue before this season). Stevie Johnson is another one that I'm sure having something going on. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Dareus/Johnson - it reminds me of what Chris Brown mentioned big changes before the end of the season from this administration.
The million dollar question, EJ Manuel, turns out to be just like what pundits have been saying, needs time to grow. He has an up and down season. Overall, I say he shows the slightest improvement in consistency from the beginning of the season towards the end. However, his record with injury cannot be encouraging to the front office, particularly when it looks like his running needs to be a big part of his game.
No one on the offensive side has a career year (maybe you can count Eric Wood not missing a game for the first time being an achievement). You can look at it from both sides: 1) No superstar or potential superstar on this team who can overcome deficiencies of others to distinguish himself, or 2) the key players are so young that good days are still ahead (Glenn, Woods, Goodwin, EJ, maybe injury ridden CJ).
Thad Lewis just proved that he's backup of this team. He has a very similar style to EJ, which allows the offense not changing one bit should them move from EJ to him.
They need to take a close look at the special team inside out from coaches to players to shoes they wear/music they listen. That's a consistently subpar unit this season.

EDS
12-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately, what we learned is that changes in the front office, coaching staff and players have yielded the same results as 2012.

It amazes me that the Bills managed to finish with more loses than the Jets who are completed devoid of offensive talent.

stuckincincy
12-30-2013, 12:20 PM
- They need a refresher course on running off tackle and pulling. Strictly IMO with limited direct observation.
- Stop selling out DL play for mad pass rushes. Fans with their mania for sacks share blame here.
- M. Williams had 38 total tackles. That's pitiful for a player with his amount of playing time. Good coaching gets - demands - that their DEs have to seal off the sidelines.
- This quick offense was a madness the 1st day they declared it. Shoulda have given Manuel time to scan, learn, and assimilate.
- The HC needs to stop telegraphing his QB starter choices. Most clubs guard their injury lists, Marrone has been a clarion.
- Bit*h all ya like at the ST coach - this club has a lousy bench, masked by a virtually injury-free season for the starters. This is a big point, IMO.
- It wouldn't kill them to teach their WRs how to juke off of the snap...
- It also wouldn't kill them to back of the DL rush and send in blitzing dbs now and again. Get the opposition thinking, eh?
- They have to stop drafting for today. When's the last time some club plucked a player from the BUF practice squad? After 14 years, they need to start building a foundation. This will take a couple of years.