PDA

View Full Version : I just changed my view on re-signing Carpenter

Albany,n.y.
12-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Chris Brown is on WGR and he said when he spoke with Dustin Hopkins, Hopkins told him he still is not recovered from the groin injury. If he was 100% and ready to go for 2014, I'd be less inclined to bring back Carpenter. Now, I think that Hopkins may never fully recover & it's time to make sure Carpenter re-signs, let Hopkins go & hope that Carpenter has a better rest of his career.

Thurmal
12-30-2013, 10:27 AM
There was a time recently when you didn't want to re-sign Carpenter?

Albany,n.y.
12-30-2013, 10:50 AM
There was a time recently when you didn't want to re-sign Carpenter?

I never recovered from the whole Gary Anderson release & keeping Nick Mike-Mayer over the rookie draft choice. I figured a healthy Hopkins would have a great career & now he's looking more like the 2nd coming of Kirk Roach.

Bangarang
12-30-2013, 10:53 AM
How has he not fully recovered from the groin injury yet?

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-30-2013, 10:54 AM
How has he not fully recovered from the groin injury yet?

who knows. maybe banging too many chicks

lightningbolt444
12-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Carpenter will be to expensive and he played well this season. Let him walk he wont be worth the money he is asking (sarcasm)

Historian
12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
I never recovered from the whole Gary Anderson release & keeping Nick Mike-Mayer over the rookie draft choice. I figured a healthy Hopkins would have a great career & now he's looking more like the 2nd coming of Kirk Roach.

...or Todd Schlopy, lol.

This one made me laugh out loud Albany....well played!

Beebe's Kid
12-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Why would you want a kicker that makes all kinds of field goals, when you could have the guy with potential and all of that?

Mr. Pink
12-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Hopkins should be given an injury settlement and a sorry for your luck kid.

A 5 month long groin injury? Really?!?

ParanoidAndroid
12-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Surgery. And when kicking is your bread and butter, you better have full range of motion. If he has any scarring in there, he will not have full range of motion.... he'll have adhesions. It takes a long time to really come back from groin surgery, especially for a kicker.

GvilleBills
12-30-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm sure everyone raised an eyebrow when it was revealed how severe Hopkins groin injury was. But this is very damning, Carpenter has become a priority FA.
I was all for resigning him before, but, damn...

alnilla
12-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Re sign him its not that hard him and Byrd Get it done

Ingtar33
12-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Why would you want a kicker that makes all kinds of field goals, when you could have the guy with potential and all of that?

Russ Brandon?

Night Train
12-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Carpenter was fantastic this year. I could see the wind push a couple wide, thru no fault of his.

How about that 51 yarder into that driving wind last Sunday ? Clutch.

Turf
12-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Carpenters the best kicker we've had maybe ever. It would be crazy to let him go.

better days
12-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Carpenters the best kicker we've had maybe ever. It would be crazy to let him go.

I wouldn't say ever, but Carpenter is the best kicker the Bills have had in a LONG time.

And he just had a birthday & is only 28 years old. I look forward to him kicking for the Bills for a long time to come.

Whaley said he is working on getting him resigned.

YardRat
12-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Carpenter should be a priority, and he's earned a pay raise.

Anderson simply didn't want to be in Buffalo...better to cut ties while he was purposely shanking kicks in pre-season rather than give him the opportunity to do the same in real games.

stuckincincy
12-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Chris Brown is on WGR and he said when he spoke with Dustin Hopkins, Hopkins told him he still is not recovered from the groin injury. If he was 100% and ready to go for 2014, I'd be less inclined to bring back Carpenter. Now, I think that Hopkins may never fully recover & it's time to make sure Carpenter re-signs, let Hopkins go & hope that Carpenter has a better rest of his career.

I'd put Hopkins on PUP, or whatever the correct classification is. I think whatever they would have to pay him would be worth it to keep a promising, albeit injured, kicker in the fold. It wouldn't be a lot of $, I suppose.

If he recovers - cheap insurance in case Carpenter develops a problem.

Mace
12-31-2013, 06:59 PM

Stop thinking about Gary Anderson though. He was absolutely terrible here for whatever reason. I always thought he was determined to be somewhere else. There wasn't any real way they could have even justified keeping him before he went on to awesomeness. He made it a point not to kick anything anywhere near goalposts, and his following career showed he had to try hard not to.

Carpenter is only 28. Don't know about Hopkins and his groin but well, things are what they are. Keep Carpenter until he proves you need cut him. That's just what you do with kickers. Carpenter looked plenty sharp enough to me.

stuckincincy
12-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Stop thinking about Gary Anderson though. He was absolutely terrible here for whatever reason. I always thought he was determined to be somewhere else. There wasn't any real way they could have even justified keeping him before he went on to awesomeness. He made it a point not to kick anything anywhere near goalposts, and his following career showed he had to try hard not to.

There were rumors at the time, that he was being harassed in the clubhouse because of false assumptions based on the particular "tonality" of his voice. If you get my drift.

Parzival
12-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Most moves have pros and cons but I think we can all agree carpenter needs to be resigned. Come on front office, this is easy.

Novacane
12-31-2013, 08:25 PM
Carpenter should be a priority, and he's earned a pay raise.

Anderson simply didn't want to be in Buffalo...better to cut ties while he was purposely shanking kicks in pre-season rather than give him the opportunity to do the same in real games.

Never heard that story. Is it true?

DynaPaul
12-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Carpenter has been money. Gotta keep him on the roster.

Mace
12-31-2013, 09:27 PM
Never heard that story. Is it true?

I can't say it was, per the story, but if you remember Gary Anderson here, it was like having the gatorade guy kick without a warmup. He was absolutely horrible, couldn't kick from any range or extra points, and it sure never happened again when he left and we didn't even have bad weather. If you were around back then you were amazed anyone even picked him up, much less that he suddenly started nailing everything in sight. He came in here with this cocky arrogance then couldn't kick anything anywhere. It was stupendous, and pure indictment of Bills personnel moves.

Skooby
01-01-2014, 12:18 AM
Who's dumb enough to even talk about not wanting Dan back ?

Albany,n.y.
01-01-2014, 10:57 AM
There were rumors at the time, that he was being harassed in the clubhouse because of false assumptions based on the particular "tonality" of his voice. If you get my drift.

That sounds like something Freddie Smerlas would do.