PDA

View Full Version : Scott Chandler: Bring him back?

The King
12-30-2013, 11:35 AM
I find Chandler to be the most frustrating player on this roster. His size and his ability to get separation are tremendously valuable, his hands and his decision making are incredibly maddening.

135 Catches on 203 Targets
1623 Yards
14 TD's
4 Fumbles
8 Drops

Can we improve on this production at the TE position? Do you want to see Chandler resigned?

coastal
12-30-2013, 11:42 AM
For the right contract... resign him.

Historian
12-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Time to move on.

Bangarang
12-30-2013, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't mind him back as a #2 TE

I still think we need to draft someone that can be more a threat.

stuckincincy
12-30-2013, 11:47 AM
I find Chandler to be the most frustrating player on this roster. His size and his ability to get separation are tremendously valuable, his hands and his decision making are incredibly maddening.

135 Catches on 203 Targets
1623 Yards
14 TD's
4 Fumbles
8 Drops

Can we improve on this production at the TE position? Do you want to see Chandler resigned?

No reason to dump him without nothing else on the horizon. IMO, his td number is misleading - he had that early spurt a while back...something like 5 tds in 4 games.

Novacane
12-30-2013, 12:04 PM
If he comes cheap. I agree we still need to draft a better option. With his size he should contribute more. Especially in the red zone.

THATHURMANATOR
12-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Yes keep him for sure but also upgrade the position.

He won't get much money and would be a solid #2.

Yasgur's Farm
12-30-2013, 12:06 PM
The good...
67% of targets caught.
12 yards per catch.
6.4% TD's per target.
8.9% TD's per catch

The bad...
Hits the turf too easily.
6% drops is too much.
TOO MANY FUMBLES IMO!

Skooby
12-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Time to move on.

Agreed, the wheels on the bus go round & round.

X-Era
12-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Replace him with a guy who's more elusive but more importantly has better hands. And since we need a blocker like Smith and have Moeaki who I'd like to see get a chance. Just let him go and upgrade.

DraftBoy
12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Dump him, get a TE who can catch and block in here.

Beebe's Kid
12-30-2013, 12:25 PM
I think we should totally get rid of the one TE we have that knows how to play at the NFL level.

I mean, we could grab a few late round picks and UDFAs, and they will have potential, and upside, and all the things that our TEs had before Chandler...what were their names again?

Either way, you definitely want to get rid of Chandler. We have guys banging down the door to give us production like he has.

Ed
12-30-2013, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him re-signed if the money is right, but I still want to see TE be a priority in the draft.

stuckincincy
12-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Dump him, get a TE who can catch and block in here.

They haven't been able to do that for years. I don't see anything that's wised them up.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2013, 12:32 PM
He's an average TE, easily replaceable.

Now hoping for a guy like Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez - minus shooting people, Gronk is far fetched but you can go out and spend the same amount of money for a guy who may be a little more dependable in the passing offense.

ParanoidAndroid
12-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Keep him until we find an adequate replacement. Even with Moeaki we don't have a guaranteed serviceable player at TE, although I'm hoping Mo somehow beats the injury bug and fulfills his potential. Either way, draft one.

The Jokeman
12-30-2013, 01:27 PM
He's an average TE, easily replaceable.

Now hoping for a guy like Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez - minus shooting people, Gronk is far fetched but you can go out and spend the same amount of money for a guy who may be a little more dependable in the passing offense.

His name is Dennis Pitta and he's due to be an UFA. Though it might be tough getting him but he's top on my free agent list after re-signing Byrd.

122 catches on 188 targets
1244 Yards
11 TDs
0 Fumbles
Couldn't locate career drops stats.

Thurmal
12-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Chandler, Byrd, Dareus, Spllier, Johnson...are there any other contributors we want to get rid of? This team has like 10 good players and half the people on this site want to cut or trade 80% of them.

stuckincincy
12-30-2013, 01:37 PM
His name is Dennis Pitta and he's due to be an UFA. Though it might be tough getting him but he's top on my free agent list after re-signing Byrd.

122 catches on 188 targets
1244 Yards
11 TDs
0 Fumbles
Couldn't locate career drops stats.

Waste of $ if they continue this quick snap offense. He won't get open.

better days
12-30-2013, 02:16 PM
No reason to dump him without nothing else on the horizon. IMO, his td number is misleading - he had that early spurt a while back...something like 5 tds in 4 games.

What is misleading about 5 TD's in 4 games? That just tells me there was a spurt of games the Bills took advantage of the weapon they had in Chandler.

better days
12-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Chandler, Byrd, Dareus, Spllier, Johnson...are there any other contributors we want to get rid of? This team has like 10 good players and half the people on this site want to cut or trade 80% of them.

The fans that want to get rid of Spiller would have wanted to get rid of Barry Sanders as well.

The Bucs & Lions were in the same division for Barry's entire career. As a Bucs fan I saw him play a lot.

IMO, Barry Sanders is the Player Spiller reminds me of. Both players have a number of carries with little gain or even a loss of yds & then BOOM they break a long one.

There were MANY games the Bucs contained Barry 98% of the game, but the 2% he broke out killed the Bucs.

bdutton
12-30-2013, 02:30 PM
as I said in the other thread... he's better than 1/2 of all the other team's number 1 TE's. Sign him to a reasonable contract commensurate with his production. Bring in a top TE in the 2nd round of the draft. If we don't sign him, sign the best TE available in FA and skip the TE in the draft and focus on other needs like OL or safety.

ETA: We should also be looking at upgrading the WR position with a legit #1 WR in the draft or FA.

stuckincincy
12-30-2013, 02:35 PM
What is misleading about 5 TD's in 4 games? That just tells me there was a spurt of games the Bills took advantage of the weapon they had in Chandler.

Long may he wave, then. Why haven't they taken advantage, as you say, since that? We could have been talking about 20 scores if they were smart enough to use the weapon that he is, eh?

GingerP
12-30-2013, 02:43 PM
IMO, Barry Sanders is the Player Spiller reminds me of. Both players have a number of carries with little gain or even a loss of yds & then BOOM they break a long one.

Spiller doesn't have anywhere near Sander's vision, he doesn't have the same run skills. Spiller has more long-speed, though. He may break a lot of long runs, but he isn't as special as Barry.

The biggest difference between those 2 is that Spiller has a career high of 207 carries. Barry, on the other hand, toted the rock. He averaged over 300 carries for his career and his fewest season for carries was 243 (in 11 games). Spiller has yet to show he can be a feature guy, and the reason Fred plays so much is because Fred is a better pure runner in terms of vision and setting up blocking.

Spiller is a valuable player, his ability to break big plays makes him a real threat. His ability in the open field is scary and he can catch the ball, and it is dumbfounding that he hasn't been used more in the passing game. He isn't a bellcow, though, or at least he hasn't been. He is a specialty player in a time-share backfield.

GingerP
12-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Chandler is a good player and they should try to re-sign him. They do need to get better at TE, but I think that means adding to Chandler. Chandler led the team in receiving this year, and he shouldn't do that, but that says more about the team than it does him.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2013, 02:48 PM
The fans that want to get rid of Spiller would have wanted to get rid of Barry Sanders as well.

The Bucs & Lions were in the same division for Barry's entire career. As a Bucs fan I saw him play a lot.

There were MANY games the Bucs contained Barry 98% of the game, but the 2% he broke out killed the Bucs.

:rofl:

Spiller reminds you of a hall of fame running back? Based on what?

He reminds me of a very poor man's Eric Metcalf who has no business being a running back in the NFL because he's afraid of contact, can't run between the tackles and has poor vision in crowded spaces.

Get him in the open field and he excels, problem is he can't get himself into the open field on his own.

A move to WR might be the best thing that could ever happen to him.

pmoon6
12-30-2013, 02:56 PM

He reminds me of a very poor man's Eric Metcalf who has no business being a running back in the NFL because he's afraid of contact, can't run between the tackles and has poor vision in crowded spaces.

Get him in the open field and he excels, problem is he can't get himself into the open field on his own.

A move to WR might be the best thing that could ever happen to him.I agree for the most part. C.J. drives me nuts when he goes wide and doesn't even try to turn up field. The poor vision part is what I see as well.

That said, he is an OK compliment to Fred Jackson and we really don't know how much the ankle and his dings affected him.

stuckincincy
12-30-2013, 03:12 PM
I agree for the most part. C.J. drives me nuts when he goes wide and doesn't even try to turn up field. The poor vision part is what I see as well.

That said, he is an OK compliment to Fred Jackson and we really don't know how much the ankle and his dings affected him.

Spiller isn't quick enough to cut the corner reliably. Never was.

I curse that decision to go to a quick snap offense once again. It robbed CJ, just like it robbed EJ, the time to scope out the opposing defensive sets and movements. No time for nuance. No time to digest. Not to mention the OL who had to set and go play after play - little time to gauge defender's posturing, little time to see if their foot placements and leanings gave a clue.

Particularly, you gotta take your time on the road, what with the noise.

So - another 6 and 10 season.

justasportsfan
12-30-2013, 03:43 PM
I would bring him back. He's had his best season yet with what we had at qb. Yes, he's had his drops but he also hasn't had a chance to have any chemistry with any of our qb's. Chandler was not the only one having problems with our qb situation.

Night Train
12-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Time to move on.

Agreed.

Seems to be a increase in tall TE's coming out with size who can run, catch and jump like an NBA power forward. Many need blocking work but we could use a big guy who can split the middle seam. That pass and the slant were 2 passes Manuel threw well this year.

RedEyE
12-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Bring him back. Concentrate on the holes already need filling instead of creating new ones.

THRILLHO
12-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Drop him like he drops half the passes thrown his way.

Skooby
12-30-2013, 08:43 PM
No.

OpIv37
12-30-2013, 09:54 PM
No. Just no. Chandler gets the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval:https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WvEtYgTKZ6o/UmMeJOV6kWI/AAAAAAAABCE/7cMzRIAEbuk/s512/Krusty__s_Seal_of_Approval_by_KrnBgn.png

He's the epitome of what's wrong with the team: a guy who's just barely good enough that we attempt to use as a reliable vet.

tampabay25690
12-30-2013, 10:19 PM
sign him

OpIv37
12-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Bring him back. Concentrate on the holes already need filling instead of creating new ones.

Here's the problem: TE is a hole even with Chandler. Granted, not as glaring a hole as G, T or LB, but a hole nonetheless. Pretending otherwise is just going to get us the same results we already have: utter mediocrity.

And if we sign Chandler than this team won't make a serious effort to fix the position. See Johnson, Stevie.

BertSquirtgum
12-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Unless they can find someone better then there is no reason not to bring him back. Even then, I would still keep him as a #2 and resign him for 3 million a year like he was getting. That's peanuts for a tight end.

OpIv37
12-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Unless they can find someone better then there is no reason not to bring him back. Even then, I would still keep him as a #2 and resign him for 3 million a year like he was getting. That's peanuts for a tight end.

Like I said in another thread: do you REALLY believe this team will re-sign Chandler and still bring in a #1 TE? If they get Chandler back, that's their built-in excuse for not upgrading the position.

Mouldsie
12-31-2013, 12:52 AM
For the right price sure but always looking to upgrade. He cant block for **** which is frustrating when you think about trying to phase him into a lesser role

BertSquirtgum
12-31-2013, 02:25 AM
Like I said in another thread: do you REALLY believe this team will re-sign Chandler and still bring in a #1 TE? If they get Chandler back, that's their built-in excuse for not upgrading the position.

Yes.

DBrown77
12-31-2013, 07:18 AM
He led the team in catches and receiving yards this year.

better days
12-31-2013, 07:23 AM
Long may he wave, then. Why haven't they taken advantage, as you say, since that? We could have been talking about 20 scores if they were smart enough to use the weapon that he is, eh?

Why didn't the Bills take advantage of Frank Summers in the NE game in TERRIBLE weather?

I blame that on Marrone & Hackett.

sukie
12-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Simplistic ? Perhaps. Here is my desire as far as the Bills go at all positions.

I want offensive skill players at every position that are selected in fantasy drafts all around the country in the first 10 rounds. I don't want WR and TE that are picked when everyone is drunk and it's round 15

better days
12-31-2013, 07:30 AM
Spiller doesn't have anywhere near Sander's vision, he doesn't have the same run skills. Spiller has more long-speed, though. He may break a lot of long runs, but he isn't as special as Barry.

The biggest difference between those 2 is that Spiller has a career high of 207 carries. Barry, on the other hand, toted the rock. He averaged over 300 carries for his career and his fewest season for carries was 243 (in 11 games). Spiller has yet to show he can be a feature guy, and the reason Fred plays so much is because Fred is a better pure runner in terms of vision and setting up blocking.

Spiller is a valuable player, his ability to break big plays makes him a real threat. His ability in the open field is scary and he can catch the ball, and it is dumbfounding that he hasn't been used more in the passing game. He isn't a bellcow, though, or at least he hasn't been. He is a specialty player in a time-share backfield.

Spiller's vision is every bit as good as Sanders was.

Sanders was tackled in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage MANY TIMES just like Spiller.

Of course they are not identical, but to compare two players, Sanders is the closest comparison to Spiller.

And I have no doubt that if Barry Sanders in his prime played for the Bills today, there would be people on this board calling for the Bills to get rid of him.

Jan Reimers
12-31-2013, 07:38 AM
It doesn't matter what we want. It's simply about the almighty dollar, and how many of them the Bills are willing to take from Ralph's wallet to bring him back.

better days
12-31-2013, 07:44 AM

A move to WR might be the best thing that could ever happen to him.

Sanders did not look for contact any more than Spiller does. Sanders knew how to protect his body just as Spiller does.

And to call Spiller a poor mans Eric Metcalf is a JOKE.

Metcalf had 2,392 rushing yds for his career.

Spiller has already passed that mark with MANY more years to play.

GingerP
12-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Spiller's vision is every bit as good as Sanders was.

Disagree. Barry had a knack for seeing guys and setting up blocks that Spiller lacks. Spiller's vision and setting up blockers isn't even as good as Fred Jackson. Spiller has great long speed, he is a home-run threat that is patient and waits for an opening to explode through. He isn't a great instinctive runner like Sanders. Sanders used fakes and jukes to create his own holes to run through, he was one-of-a-kind. Spiller does have great change-of-direction, but he doesn't have the kind of leg drive or squatty build that Sanders possessed. Barry was a bell-cow back who carried the ball over 300 times year-after-year and could handle the load. Spiller has never shown that.

Probably the closest thing to Sanders style in the NFL today is Shady McCoy, but even he isn't in Sander's league. If I were to pick a comparison to Spiller style-wise it would be Reggie Bush, although Spiller may have more pure speed. Both guys like to dance in the hole and break stuff outside. Both have great athleticism and break big plays. Both have great burst, but aren't powerful runners.

GingerP
12-31-2013, 08:23 AM
I can't see why people wouldn't want Chandler back. He isn't anywhere near a guy like Jimmy Graham, but that doesn't mean he isn't a productive guy. I do wish he blocked better for his size, but he is a pretty good receiver and had pretty good production. He did that coming off ACL surgery. Keeping him doesn't preclude adding to the position, but he is worth having on the team.

justasportsfan
12-31-2013, 09:36 AM
No. Just no. Chandler gets the Krusty Brand Seal of ApprovalHe's the epitome of what's wrong with the team: a guy who's just barely good enough that we attempt to use as a reliable vet.

for someone who's complained about letting guys like Posey/POZ go without finding a replacement first, you should name TE's at this point in time who have PROVEN to catch for more than 53 catches and 655 yards with a questionable qb performance , to replace Chandler.

Chandler is not elite but he can be PRODUCTIVE .Until you bring in a proven upgrade, I say keep him for the right price. Fix the OL and fix the QB and he'll have better nos. than he had last year.

If his drops are a problem, keep in mind everyone from SJ, FJ, TJ, Goodwin and especially Woods (who supposedly has had the best chemistry) all had drops and I blame it mostly on EJ's inaccuracy and the revolving qb position. It's hard to make catches when your qb who doesn't know where he's going with the ball and when he finally pulls the trigger , he's inaccurate under pressure.

EJ's ruins timing in the passing game.