PDA

View Full Version : EJ to start in 2014

X-Era
12-30-2013, 12:20 PM
https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/417722366949462016

(https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/417722366949462016)"EJ Manuel: Has been told by Doug Marrone that he will start for 2014 <s>#</s>Bills (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills&src=hash)."

EJ also not sure if his knee will need surgery.

https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/417719623497580544

lightningbolt444
12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
WTF! I am all for him starting but make him earn it dont just hand it to him like that.

Beebe's Kid
12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Hope he learns all kinds of footwork before next season...and to thrown a football with a bit of accuracy.

Novacane
12-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Marones tying his career to EJ. If EJ bombs next year Marone better be gone too.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope this will put an end to all the draft a QB talk

DraftBoy
12-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Makes sense, he's your first round pick, he's your guy. He may need that confidence this offseason with the way some fans reacted to Thad. Also puts the responsibility on him to make sure he's doing everything he can.

T-Long
12-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm confused...I thought Manuel wasn't available to the media today.

X-Era
12-30-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm confused...I thought Manuel wasn't available to the media today.It's Buffalo Bills official twitter. So, maybe he's not available to non-official media.

Or maybe they just aren't letting anyone talk to Jerry Sullivan... That's a good move.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Ahhh a vote of confidence.

Everyone who's followed sports over the years knows what that generally means.

stuckincincy
12-30-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm getting tired of this guy chronically telegraphing his choices. The rest of the league jots down his utterances and says "Thanks for the info!" :curse:

Ed
12-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Good. Hopefully this means that some people around here won't waste the next 4 months debating which qb we should draft.

X-Era
12-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Makes sense, he's your first round pick, he's your guy. He may need that confidence this offseason with the way some fans reacted to Thad. Also puts the responsibility on him to make sure he's doing everything he can.
I like it.

Gives him every reason in the world to start to become the leader that he is well-known for being. I want to see him gather the receivers like Fitz did and throw in the off-season.

He can mentally prepare to be the starter and the guy going forward.

If he does, great. If not, so be it and move on.

But the Bills are showing all the confidence in him and I think he's the type of personality where he will be just that much better for it.

coastal
12-30-2013, 12:48 PM
how about hire him a QB coach right ****ing now and buy them a room together for the remainder of the offseason.

DraftBoy
12-30-2013, 12:57 PM
how about hire him a QB coach right ****ing now and buy them a room together for the remainder of the offseason.

Id rather he go work with Whitfield.

The Jokeman
12-30-2013, 01:08 PM

I've been harping on getting a QB coach ever since Marrone was named HC. It makes sense, the only question is who should we bring in? One idea would be to promote Jason Vrable to QB coach and find another Quality Coach. As at least he has some experience according to http://coachingroots.com/football/coaches/jason-vrable of course I'd prefer someone with more NFL experience yet it doesn't look many options on Marrone's coaching trees unless we bring in Paul Hackett in but not sure if that be a slap in the son to Nate or note.

JohnnyGold
12-30-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm torn on this one, I really am. EJ was 4-6 as a starter, but damn if he didn't do everything in his power for us to have won the:

Cleveland, New England, Atlanta and NYJ games.

Also crazy to think that had the Bills beaten Pittsburgh, that game against New England would have been to send US to the playoffs.

The line between success and failure in the NFL is razor thin. I hope the Bills organization knows what they're doing with this kid. At this time last year people we're ready to fire Ron Rivera, and we're saying Cam Newton was a locker room cancer because he didn't smile on the sideline. Now the Panthers are at home, just like us. The only difference being, after they stay home this weekend, theyll stay home the following weekend as well: to host an NFC divisional playoff game.

I would love to look back and laugh at how little confidence I had in EJ--but Cam came out of college with Sterling credentials and no lack of confidence/faith in his abilities from his fanbase.

So... I guess I'll just watch the games again next year expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

Go EJ! Go Bills!

The Jokeman
12-30-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm torn on this one, I really am. EJ was 4-6 as a starter, but damn if he didn't do everything in his power for us to have won the:

Cleveland, New England, Atlanta and NYJ games.

Also crazy to think that had the Bills beaten Pittsburgh, that game against New England would have been to send US to the playoffs.

The line between success and failure in the NFL is razor thin. I hope the Bills organization knows what they're doing with this kid. At this time last year people we're ready to fire Ron Rivera, and we're saying Cam Newton was a locker room cancer because he didn't smile on the sideline. Now the Panthers are at home, just like us. The only difference being, after they stay home this weekend, theyll stay home the following weekend as well: to host an NFC divisional playoff game.

I would love to look back and laugh at how little confidence I had in EJ--but Cam came out of college with Sterling credentials and no lack of confidence/faith in his abilities from his fanbase.

So... I guess I'll just watch the games again next year expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

Go EJ! Go Bills!

You're right about the thin-ness as had we not botched the Bengals or Falcons games we could have also been playoff bound. Again there's a fine line between drafting in the top 10 of a draft and being a wild card team. If this team can make some improvements there's a chance. I haven't been positive in recent years but am this offseason. I can't explain why but think we have a chance.

stuckincincy
12-30-2013, 01:50 PM
I've been harping on getting a QB coach ever since Marrone was named HC. It makes sense, the only question is who should we bring in? One idea would be to promote Jason Vrable to QB coach and find another Quality Coach. As at least he has some experience according to http://coachingroots.com/football/coaches/jason-vrable of course I'd prefer someone with more NFL experience yet it doesn't look many options on Marrone's coaching trees unless we bring in Paul Hackett in but not sure if that be a slap in the son to Nate or note.

What does a Quality coach do?

The Jokeman
12-30-2013, 01:54 PM
What does a Quality coach do?Simply put breaking down films of future opponents and looking for tendencies or any other grunt work the real coaches don't want to do. Here's a link to one article: http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/11/2043379/the-role-of-an-nfl-quality-control-coach-denver-broncos-football-scouting

stuckincincy
12-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Simply put breaking down films of future opponents and looking for tendencies or any other grunt work the real coaches don't want to do. Here's a link to one article: http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/11/2043379/the-role-of-an-nfl-quality-control-coach-denver-broncos-football-scouting

I see. A clerk without any say, that does the scut work that real coaches should go out and do for themselves and get a feel for the opposition first hand.

Sounds like a civil service patronage job to me.

The Jokeman
12-30-2013, 02:13 PM
I see. A clerk without any say, that does the scut work that real coaches should go out and do for themselves and get a feel for the opposition first hand.

Sounds like a civil service patronage job to me.

I liken it to a paid internship and with hard work and a few years put in it might warrant you the chance to become a position coach and from there who knows what else.

BuffaloRedleg
12-30-2013, 02:41 PM
I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe he has a reasonable chance of panning out as a Super Bowl caliber QB. Not only has he been incredibly average during games (understandable, he's a rookie... but that's not a vote of confidence that is an excuse) but also he's been injured way too much. I can't think of a single rookie QB who has been injured as much as him that has ever even close to panned out.

Whatever. Go Bills etc etc.

X-Era
12-30-2013, 02:45 PM
I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe he has a reasonable chance of panning out as a Super Bowl caliber QB. Not only has he been incredibly average during games (understandable, he's a rookie... but that's not a vote of confidence that is an excuse) but also he's been injured way too much. I can't think of a single rookie QB who has been injured as much as him that has ever even close to panned out.

Whatever. Go Bills etc etc.

Matt Stafford?

TacklingDummy
12-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Marones tying his career to EJ. If EJ bombs next year Marone better be gone too.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope this will put an end to all the draft a QB talk

Smoke screen.

The Bills are pulling an KneeJ and Eagles from last year. They smoked screen the Bills into wasting a first rounder on him.

WagonCircler
12-30-2013, 08:06 PM
It's official, then.

The Bills will be drafting 9th in 2015.

Skooby
12-30-2013, 08:44 PM
It's official, then.

The Bills will be drafting 9th in 2015.

If EJ stays healthy, it'll be more like 6th.

justasportsfan
12-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Means nothing. Tuel was EJ's back up but Thad took that spot. If someone comes in at camp and outplays EJ, EJ will see the bench.

Night Train
12-31-2013, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Marrone told him he expected him to be the starter next year, so be ready to put in the extra work. Marrone said on radio he told Manuel he expected far more of him next year and the off-season would be important.

Good or bad, they weren't going to bail on the guy after 1 year. Come on. This was a rebuilding team and when he played, he did have some positives. I agree the jury is still out but year 2 was a given.

Turf
12-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Call me nuts but I'm for bringing in Manziel and letting EJ backup. Lets get the QB thing out of the way and move on.

kishoph
12-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Call me nuts but I'm for bringing in Manziel and letting EJ backup. Lets get the QB thing out of the way and move on.

Manziel ? You're "nuts".

Gilly
12-31-2013, 12:30 PM

I say offer Peyton Manning $5 million to teach him all he can this offseason..

better days
12-31-2013, 12:36 PM
What does a Quality coach do?

It is the lowest level in Coaching.

Basicly an intern/apprentice.

They cut up the game film (digital today)

And run errands & help out in general.

better days
12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
And Eric Wood said he believes EJ will be a successful QB because EJ has a great work ethic.

I think work ethic separates the wheat from the chaff.

A lot of guys get by in College & flash potential without a good work ethic just because of their God given ability.

In the NFL, everyone has ability. The guys with a good work ethic like Payton Manning & Tom Brady are the guys that excel.

Neither Manning or Brady had outstanding College careers. They are both going into the HOF because of their work ethic.

The Jokeman
12-31-2013, 01:08 PM
And Eric Wood said he believes EJ will be a successful QB because EJ has a great work ethic.

A lot of guys get by in College & flash potential without a good work ethic just because of their God given ability.

In the NFL, everyone has ability. The guys with a good work ethic like Payton Manning & Tom Brady are the guys that excel.

Neither Manning or Brady had outstanding College careers. They are both going into the HOF because of their work ethic.

While I sometimes question your blind loyalty to all that is Buffalo Bills on this subject I agree with you. I honestly can't see why so many here are ready to throw EJ Manuel out the door. If you look at his numbers as a rookie they compare to other rookie QBs. The one thing I wanted to see from EJ this year is if he could be a QB. To me a QB is a guy who can take his team and march down the field and get long drives for TDs. EJ this did this many a time. Sure many times he also went 3 and out too. Yet on the whole he just looked to me like a QB. Something I can say I never felt about JP Losman. Of course some will comment that EJ had more Trent Edwards in him but Manuel had better numbers than Trent as a rookie and most of us all loved Trent as he was developing until he got knocked silly against the Cardinals. So maybe it's because everyone saw what the QB Class of 2013 did as rookies but look back at that rookie class and EJ did better than Tannehill and both guys were drafted at about the same spot in the draft. Like the Dolphins did last offseason the Bills should focus on giving our young QB more weapons and shore up the D like the Dolphins did and we could be in Wild Card discussion next year as unlike the Dolphins the Bills have a strong running game but aren't about to lose Reggie Bush as an UFA.

justasportsfan
01-01-2014, 09:55 AM

Will work ethic help EJ grow a pair like both Brady and Manning have? Or will EJ have the same great work ethic that Rob Johnson had which won him the job at camp but play just like him on gameday?

Historian
01-02-2014, 08:29 AM

I agree.

I was once told that every player in the NFL has the physical tools to be there.

What separates them is the mental aspect of the game. That includes film study, perparation, all that.

So far, from what I have seen, EJ has seems to have a good work ethic.

I really hope it pans out for him, as well as the team.

alohabillsfan
01-02-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure why people think EJ will develope into an above average nfl QB, he has really been the same QB since day one at fsu IMO. His head is already touching the ceiling.

better days
01-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Will work ethic help EJ grow a pair like both Brady and Manning have? Or will EJ have the same great work ethic that Rob Johnson had which won him the job at camp but play just like him on gameday?

I think EJ does have a pair & that is why he got injured trying to pick up extra yds.

Hopefully he is not as injury prone as Rob.

justasportsfan
01-02-2014, 09:02 AM
I think EJ does have a pair & that is why he got injured trying to pick up extra yds.

Hopefully he is not as injury prone as Rob. He doesn't have a pair to throw the ball like Brady and Manning , is what I meant. He doesn't have the confidence to throw it in tight places or is tentative to throw the ball unless the wr is open. Just like rob Johnson. Rob Johnson also ran the ball. Doesn't mean he had a pair to throw it deep.

What I hope he does is play like he did vs. the jets in the 2nd game where he did take chances and trusted his players to make plays.

justasportsfan
01-02-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure why people think EJ will develope into an above average nfl QB, he has really been the same QB since day one at fsu IMO. His head is already touching the ceiling.

I think he can develop into an average qb but we're not hoping for an average qb. I can see him being as good as Jason Campbell but Campbell is not good enough.

better days
01-02-2014, 09:32 AM
I think he can develop into an average qb but we're not hoping for an average qb. I can see him being as good as Jason Campbell but Campbell is not good enough.

I question if EJ can stay healthy, but I think he can be VERY GOOD. MUCH BETTER than Campbell.

I also think Jeff Tuel has more upside than Thad Lewis. Aside from ONE TERRIBLE play in the Chiefs game, Tuel played better in that game than Lewis did in any game he played.

justasportsfan
01-02-2014, 09:53 AM
I question if EJ can stay healthy, but I think he can be VERY GOOD. MUCH BETTER than Campbell. I hope so but that still remains to be seen.

I also think Jeff Tuel has more upside than Thad Lewis. Aside from ONE TERRIBLE play in the Chiefs game, Tuel played better in that game than Lewis did in any game he played.

I think Tuel can be a better passer than EJ.

better days
01-02-2014, 12:46 PM
I hope so but that still remains to be seen.

I think Tuel can be a better passer than EJ.

Well, I heard an "expert" (I think football outsiders) on the radio the other day say EJ played at the level of an average NFL QB this year.

He said NOT ROOKIE QB's, but all NFL QB's. In other words EJ played at the level of Campbell & Fitz this year.

So if EJ improves next season, which I expect him to do ( The expert also said QB's make a big jump in their 2nd year from their rookie year.)

EJ should be an ABOVE average QB next year. The only question is how much above average he is.

Well, and can he stay healthy?

justasportsfan
01-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Well, I heard an "expert" (I think football outsiders) on the radio the other day say EJ played at the level of an average NFL QB this year.

He said NOT ROOKIE QB's, but all NFL QB's. In other words EJ played at the level of Campbell & Fitz this year.

So if EJ improves next season, which I expect him to do ( The expert also said QB's make a big jump in their 2nd year from their rookie year.)

EJ should be an ABOVE average QB next year. The only question is how much above average he is.

Well, and can he stay healthy?

Experts said a lot of things about Gabbert and Geno Smith. I didn't see RGIII make that big jump this year. I only know what I saw. EJ was barely average the entire season.

I expect EJ to get better too, but how much better, I don't know.