PDA

View Full Version : My Offseason Plans

The King
12-31-2013, 09:43 AM
If Doug Whaley were to call me today and ask for my course of action for the Buffalo Bills off season this is my plan.

Make an aggressive offer to John Kuhn. Kuhn is 31, but he's an aggressive run blocker, and he's very effective in short yardage. Regardless of how EJ does next season we're committed to running the football and we need a nasty FB paving the way.

See what market value is on Garrett Graham and Andrew Quarless before extending and offer to Chandler. You know what you're getting with Chandler there's not going to be any dramatic improvement, there's not ever going to be any YAC, Graham and Quarless can bring the same production with upside. If the market is inflated for TE, we can look to the draft.

Sit out the first wave on Guard signings, let the big contracts settle down and go out and acquire some depth on the Oline.

Resign Carpenter. I full confidence in him. I don't care what we do with Hopkins, Carpentner has earned the gig.

Resign Moorman. Moorman had some ups and downs this season, but I want him as an insurance policy, bring in someone to compete with him for the job. But let's not get caught with our pants down at punter.

Negotiate with Byrd. If Byrd is willing to negotiate do it. If Byrd is holding the team at ransom, you need to tag and trade. I am willing to pay Byrd close to the 9M he wants, if he's willing to negotiate. If it doesn't work out with Byrd take a long hard look at Duke Ihenacho.

McKelvin needs to focus on corner full-time. He's had ball security issues as long as he's been around. His negatives now outweigh the positives at PR.

Only FA WR's I am interested in is Andrew Hawkins and Golden Tate both can contribute at WR but are also very good on Special Teams (Hawkins as a gunner, Tate as a Returner).

Resign Jim Leonard. Solid depth a locker room leader, knows the system and doesn't make mistakes.

No changes with Darues and Johnson. Marrone made an example of Dareus. The season was over and he didn't want his players losing focus I agree with that 100% but Dareus showed huge improvement this year. The veterans will rub off on him and he will be fine. Stevie showed a great deal of maturity this year, he didn't show a ton on the field however, but I believe the way Stevie plays this game relies on chemistry and getting reps. He needs to be on the same page with the QB and that obviously was a challenge this year. He gets a pass and a chance to prove himself next year.

Potential depth moves at LBer, Pat Angerer, Donald Butler, Jamari Lattimore. I also have no objection to resigning Moats.

In the draft we take BPA every single pick. With a focus on WR, OL, LB:
Players I like in round 1 (not necessarily at 9). CJ Mosley, ILB (Bama), Sammy Watkins, WR (Clemson), Eric Ebron, TE (NC), Kelvin Benjamin, WR (FSU), Ryan Shazier, OLB (Ohio), Zach Martin, OG (ND)

The Jokeman
12-31-2013, 12:51 PM
I get people want to replace Chandler, as I'm one of them, yet what I don't get is why we think replacing him with another team's backup see Graham/Quarless means we've improved the position? As both the guys mentioned only had career years because of injuries to the guys ahead of them. To me if you want to improve the TE you don't take a risk but take a proven guy. It's why I've been calling for Pitta the last few weeks. I'd give him a Jared Cook type offer on the first few days of free agency and not look back.

Jarius Byrd is a hot topic. I say better to keep a Pro Bowl player than let one guy. We all said last offseason that we can't afford to keep a Pro Bowl talent like Levitre at LG and can better use his cap money for other needs and what is one of our top needs coming into 2014? None other than LG. Don't make the mistake with FS. Give him the money he wants and in a long term contract so we can focus on other needs in the coming years.

I jokingly brought up the name Mike Pollok in another thread as a veteran OG we'd sign to shore up the spot at LG but in reality he is an ideal backup/veteran type I could see bringing in. Much like Legursky from last year but he's a little taller and more experienced. I don't mind him as a backup to a rookie like David Yankey, who I like as our second round pick.

At WR, we need to improve. Yet to me we also need a physical guy. I've brought him up other threads but James Jones to me is that guy. Yes, he's not Megatron/Dez Bryant/Demarious Thomas/AJ Green sized but he is a tough move the chains guy you can look to throw to in the redzone type we lack. Toss in at 30 giving him a two - three year contract is better for the Bills as gives us time to further develop Robert Woods. Singing him also allows you to keep Graham/Goodwin to be what role they're best suited for which is returnman/depth receiver. Toss in all I remember this offseason is the Bills talked about Marrone's offense rooted in the WCO and to me Jones has experience with his Green Bay ties and fits the mold of a WCO type WR. Tate's numbers are better but he's a tad small and I can't see the Seahawks risk losing him where the Packers can move aside Jones as have Nelson and Cobb and Boykin ready to step in 2014. Hawkins is a bit of a meh as he's shined at times with the Bengals but not sure he is a real improvement over Goodwin/Graham.

Carpenter had a great year here but he's a kicker, we drafted Hopkins. At the end of the day if Hopkins isn't healthy enough to play in 2014 then find another veteran to play the Carpenter/Lindell role or get someone younger and sign him to a three year deal but to me I'm not ready to say singing a kicker a key offseason move. Punter however is a different story, I love Brian Moorman just like any other Bills fan but we need to replace him. Jim Leonhard is like Moorman in that his a lunch pail guy that fans love but at the end of the day I don't say he's a must sign but if want to bring him in again sure why not but the more he place the less we'll know what Williams and Meeks offer.

My draft concerns are MLB/WLB and CJ Mosley seems to be at the top of everyone's wish list right now. As to me as we saw asking a rookie LB to step in and start isn't a bad thing. We've seen Alonso, Poz, Conlan do it quite well. Meanwhile asking a rookie WR to step in and be a top flight guy usually an exception. In the later rounds I look for O-lineman and hope. David Yankey's a guy I pencil in Round 2 as seems like can fit the Levitre strong pass blocking good run blocking LG we could use. Round 3 feels like a good round to take a RT and I've mentioned Ja’Wuan James in other threads.

The King
12-31-2013, 02:02 PM
James Jones is 29 and he's been successful, but only while Cobb, Nelson, Jennings were drawing double teams. When Jones had to carry the load himself he's not getting the best of top DB's. You can get the same production from a rookie, Jones would be a good depth guy but he's not looking for WR3 money.

I like Pitta, but he's missed a whole season, he's probably the most attractive TE on the market assuming Jimmy Graham gets locked up. I don't want to shell out what he's going to command on the FA market.

YardRat
12-31-2013, 02:17 PM
'Not willing to negotiate' on Byrd's part equals 'Ralph is cheap' for many of the posters around here.

The King
12-31-2013, 02:24 PM
'Not willing to negotiate' on Byrd's part equals 'Ralph is cheap' for many of the posters around here.
There just has to be some give and take. His negotiation will set a standard for other players as well.

YardRat
12-31-2013, 02:26 PM
There just has to be some give and take. His negotiation will set a standard for other players as well.

I agree with you...Byrd and Parker don't. If there were any actual negotiations, he probably would have been signed last spring.

The King
12-31-2013, 02:28 PM
I agree with you...Byrd and Parker don't. If there were any actual negotiations, he probably would have been signed last spring.Which is why I listed Ihenacho as well. He's a very good safety too. Probably about 3-4M less per season than Byrd.

The Jokeman
12-31-2013, 04:00 PM
James Jones is 29 and he's been successful, but only while Cobb, Nelson, Jennings were drawing double teams. When Jones had to carry the load himself he's not getting the best of top DB's. You can get the same production from a rookie, Jones would be a good depth guy but he's not looking for WR3 money.

I like Pitta, but he's missed a whole season, he's probably the most attractive TE on the market assuming Jimmy Graham gets locked up. I don't want to shell out what he's going to command on the FA market.

All that matters to me and Jones is 1)He's far and away better than Graham/Goodwin and 2)He has size and is a legitimate red zone threat. We saw what Robert did as a rookie, which was goof but not James Jones' good. I've shared in other threads that too many of us have unrealistic expectations on rookies. I know someone will point out Keenan Allen but think his numbers got inflated because Rivers had no one else to throw to in San Diego. At least EJ has Stevie and Woods in 2014. As good as Mike Evans looks on paper, if I'm playing for to win in 2014 I want a veteran WR.

In terms of shelling out for Pitta than don't expect us to improve the TE position. The Bills have $29M to play with, if we give Byrd his money that's roughly $9M which leaves us $20M Pitta could cost around $7M and a guy like Jones $5M . I'm not sure what the rookie class will cost but I can't think it be more than $7M.

Meathead
12-31-2013, 04:36 PM
its not even a probably, if byrd has been willing to negotiate at all hed be in a long term deal right now

YardRat
12-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Which is why I listed Ihenacho as well. He's a very good safety too. Probably about 3-4M less per season than Byrd.

Well, he's almost a full .2 faster than Byrd...

imbondz
12-31-2013, 04:38 PM
my off season plan is to try to not be so addicted to this site that never brings me joy but only heartache.

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-31-2013, 05:00 PM
my off season plan is to try to not be so addicted to this site that never brings me joy but only heartache.

is it the 'sites' fault or is it the perpetual state of suck of our beloved favorite team?

Mace
12-31-2013, 05:09 PM
You're a lot more focused than I am, my offseason plans are just to grow a beard while it's cold, and cut it off again when it gets warm. Was thinking about putting up a nail to hang something on the wall, but no sense rushing it before next season starts.

I will tell you this though, if Doug Whaley were to call me today I'd be astonished and ask him how he got my number.

Novacane
12-31-2013, 05:31 PM

Good luck with that lol

YardRat
12-31-2013, 05:42 PM
You're a lot more focused than I am, my offseason plans are just to grow a beard while it's cold, and cut it off again when it gets warm. Was thinking about putting up a nail to hang something on the wall, but no sense rushing it before next season starts.

I will tell you this though, if Doug Whaley were to call me today I'd be astonished and ask him how he got my number.

Back in the day, when Will Wolford was bolting for Indy, I called and left a message with John Butler's secretary. Shortly after I returned home from work the phone rang, and it was JB returning my call.

GingerP
12-31-2013, 06:31 PM
Which is why I listed Ihenacho as well. He's a very good safety too. Probably about 3-4M less per season than Byrd.

This is your replacement for Byrd? He can't hold his jock.

First of all, he isn't a free agent, unless he is non-tendered by Denver. He will be an exclusive-rights FA because he only has 2 years of service time after this year.

After going undrafted, he was cut and spent last year bouncing between the Broncos PS and roster. He didn't start a game as a rookie. He became a starter for Denver this preseason, mainly because Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter were lost to injury. Despite that, Ihenacho has played poorly at times this year, being benched against Tennessee in favor of CB Omar Bolden playing at S. Your replacement for Byrd is still looking for his first career interception, and is a big target of opponents in Denver's 27th-ranked pass defense.

$3M-$4M less than Byrd? A lot more than that. This year, he is making the $480K minimum, with no bonus. He likely will get the minimum tender as an exclusive FA this year, and may be non-tendered after next year, because paying him the lowest restricted tender may be too much.

I understand some of you people think Byrd is asking for too much, but I swear you would think the money is coming out of your pocket. Byrd is a good player, in any scheme, and makes the defense better. Guys like Ihenacho are schlubs, and if that is the replacement it is a big mistake.

justasportsfan
01-01-2014, 09:58 AM
I would call the Saints or Broncos and see if EJ could hang out with their qb's starting today.

justasportsfan
01-01-2014, 10:03 AM
See what market value is on Garrett Graham and Andrew Quarless before extending and offer to Chandler. You know what you're getting with Chandler there's not going to be any dramatic improvement, there's not ever going to be any YAC, Graham and Quarless can bring the same production with upside. If the market is inflated for TE, we can look to the draft.

Yes to Graham proving he can replace Chandlers nos. but Quarless hasn't proven it yet.

Sit out the first wave on Guard signings, let the big contracts settle down and go out and acquire some depth on the Oline.

No thanks to depth. We need proven studs. Make Pears and our current LG depth if you want but we need a DOMINANT OL to protect a still very raw EJ.

Beebe's Kid
01-01-2014, 10:40 AM
I noticed it stated that we need time for Woods to develop. He looked pretty developed to me. I think the Bills need to throw the ball at him more. I think he is going to be a really solid WR, and has the ability to put up solid numbers. He needs a lot more looks, and I think that he is finally a receiver that can catch a ball if he is covered. I liked what I saw out of him, and I would move him to be the primary target, unless there is a stud WR drafted...with the Bills history, I won't hold my breath.

As for Byrd...how does anybody know that Byrd is not mad at Parker for not taking what may have been a decent offer? That is a very real possibility, yet there is the ****ing typical, "Byrd doesn't want to be here" **** going on that always does. You have no idea that he fully supports how Parker has handled the situation. It may be that if a long term deal is presented at a reasonable amount, and he knows he is going to be tagged again, that he just takes it. The security is what he wants, and the money is going to have to be right, but to let a top-tiered player go is an awful mistake if you want to win...no matter how much your uninformed view of the negotiating process has hurt your feelings.

THATHURMANATOR
01-01-2014, 10:51 AM
I definitely keep Chandler.

I am interested in Graham but now Quarles at all.

I would love a game changer drafted in round 1 or 2.

DraftBoy
01-02-2014, 08:15 AM
I agree with you...Byrd and Parker don't. If there were any actual negotiations, he probably would have been signed last spring.

You don't know what (if any) negotiations took place. All we know is that Byrd and Parker want him to be the highest paid safety in the NFL and that the Bills sent at least one (though I thought it was more) offer(s). If they sent multiple offers that means that yes they did in fact negotiate.

We get that you want Byrd gone but you're being very liberal with the facts to make your opinion known.

The King
01-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Arthur Lynch had a huge drop yesterday but I like him in the 3rd round, that's good value there.

DraftBoy
01-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Arthur Lynch had a huge drop yesterday but I like him in the 3rd round, that's good value there.

He's had huge drops his entire career at UGA. Late on Day 3 I'd take a look at him.

k-oneputt
01-02-2014, 10:41 AM
It doesn't matter who they draft unless they can get one at #9 named Bortles, Manziel, Hundley, or Bridgewater. Anything else is meaningless until they fiqure out that EJ is a stiff with no qb instincts.

k-oneputt
01-02-2014, 10:46 AM
But since the front office will not admit their mistake yet and won't take a qb, I will be happy if they can just not totally f the pick up and get a productive player. O-tackle, DL, UCLA lber, {NOT the UB LINEBACKER}, even the stud #1 wr I can live with. No d-backs, tight-ends, or God forbid another rb.

The King
01-02-2014, 10:52 AM
He's had huge drops his entire career at UGA. Late on Day 3 I'd take a look at him.
I figured you'd have better insight on him, I'm really only familiar with his body of work this year. I like him a lot on 3rd down though.

DraftBoy
01-02-2014, 10:54 AM
I figured you'd have better insight on him, I'm really only familiar with his body of work this year. I like him a lot on 3rd down though.

I like him because he catch and block but I think in the 5th his value is great. He's not the most athletic guy but he can move some.

k-oneputt
01-02-2014, 10:55 AM
I would be happy with Lynch from 4th rd to 7th rd.

The King
01-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Maybe I didn't see enough of him. I thought he looked a bit like Heath Miller. Sounds like he's more like a Scott Chandler.

Novacane
01-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Back in the day, when Will Wolford was bolting for Indy, I called and left a message with John Butler's secretary. Shortly after I returned home from work the phone rang, and it was JB returning my call.

What did he say?

stuckincincy
01-02-2014, 02:16 PM
If Doug Whaley were to call me today and ask for my course of action for the Buffalo Bills off season this is my plan.

Only FA WR's I am interested in is Andrew Hawkins and Golden Tate both can contribute at WR but are also very good on Special Teams (Hawkins as a gunner, Tate as a Returner).

In the draft we take BPA every single pick. With a focus on WR, OL, LB: Players I like in round 1 (not necessarily at 9). CJ Mosley, ILB (Bama), Sammy Watkins, WR (Clemson), Eric Ebron, TE (NC), Kelvin Benjamin, WR (FSU), Ryan Shazier, OLB (Ohio), Zach Martin, OG (ND)

Hawkins has close ties with CIN - they gave him a chance when no one would, put him on that 8 game IR thing this season after a high ankle sprain, and his brother Artrell played with CIN and does media stuff here. I'd be surprised in CIN doesn't get a home town consideration. I still say BUF should have their peepers on CIN's Ryan Whalen. He's buried on their wr roster.

I do like Shazier in the 2nd - he stood out in a weak OSU defense. But let's see how he does against Clemson in their bowl game.

GingerP
01-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Hawkins has close ties with CIN - they gave him a chance when no one would, put him on that 8 game IR thing this season after a high ankle sprain, and his brother Artrell played with CIN and does media stuff here. I'd be surprised in CIN doesn't get a home town consideration. I still say BUF should have their peepers on CIN's Ryan Whalen. He's buried on their wr roster

Hawkins is also a Restricted FA after this year. He was undrafted, but depending on if or at what level Cincy tenders him he may not an option for the Bills this offseason.

YardRat
01-02-2014, 06:48 PM
You don't know what (if any) negotiations took place. All we know is that Byrd and Parker want him to be the highest paid safety in the NFL and that the Bills sent at least one (though I thought it was more) offer(s). If they sent multiple offers that means that yes they did in fact negotiate.

We get that you want Byrd gone but you're being very liberal with the facts to make your opinion known.

Obviously nobody outside of the individuals involved know the details, but pragmatically speaking if Byrd/Parker started at #1 money, and didn't move away from that stance, then there really was no negotiation. Unless, of course, they started with such a ridiculous expectation that dropping down to attempt to compromise (or, negotiate) still resulted in #1 money. Which, knowing Parker's rep, is a possibility I guess.

YardRat
01-02-2014, 06:52 PM
What did he say?

Quite a lot, actually. We talked about some of the specifics of Indy's offer to Wolford, and also hit on some other players that were FA's that season. I was surprised how candid he was, considering he was talking to just any Joe Blow that he never met or talked to before in his life.

stuckincincy
01-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Hawkins is also a Restricted FA after this year. He was undrafted, but depending on if or at what level Cincy tenders him he may not an option for the Bills this offseason.

The 2013 amounts were 2.879M for 1st rounder tender, 2.023 for 2nd, 1.323 for original draft round or 1st right of refusal. I'd expect a 2nd round tender.

swiper
01-03-2014, 05:31 AM
It doesn't matter who they draft unless they can get one at #9 named Bortles, Manziel, Hundley, or Bridgewater. Anything else is meaningless until they fiqure out that EJ is a stiff with no qb instincts.

+ 100%

YardRat
01-03-2014, 05:40 AM
lol...

"We want a first-round QB!!!"

After 10 games...

"We want a first-round QB!!!"

Night Train
01-03-2014, 06:10 AM
My off-season plans are to vacation in Colorado and eat a lot of brownies.

stuckincincy
01-03-2014, 06:18 AM
My off-season plans are to vacation in Colorado and eat a lot of brownies.

...but, but...you'll violate Federal law! I'm telling Eric. :flush: