• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

My Offseason Plans

If Doug Whaley were to call me today and ask for my course of action for the Buffalo Bills off season this is my plan.

Make an aggressive offer to John Kuhn. Kuhn is 31, but he's an aggressive run blocker, and he's very effective in short yardage. Regardless of how EJ does next season we're committed to running the football and we need a nasty FB paving the way.

See what market value is on Garrett Graham and Andrew Quarless before extending and offer to Chandler. You know what you're getting with Chandler there's not going to be any dramatic improvement, there's not ever going to be any YAC, Graham and Quarless can bring the same production with upside. If the market is inflated for TE, we can look to the draft.

Sit out the first wave on Guard signings, let the big contracts settle down and go out and acquire some depth on the Oline.

Resign Carpenter. I full confidence in him. I don't care what we do with Hopkins, Carpentner has earned the gig.

Resign Moorman. Moorman had some ups and downs this season, but I want him as an insurance policy, bring in someone to compete with him for the job. But let's not get caught with our pants down at punter.

Negotiate with Byrd. If Byrd is willing to negotiate do it. If Byrd is holding the team at ransom, you need to tag and trade. I am willing to pay Byrd close to the 9M he wants, if he's willing to negotiate. If it doesn't work out with Byrd take a long hard look at Duke Ihenacho.

McKelvin needs to focus on corner full-time. He's had ball security issues as long as he's been around. His negatives now outweigh the positives at PR.

Only FA WR's I am interested in is Andrew Hawkins and Golden Tate both can contribute at WR but are also very good on Special Teams (Hawkins as a gunner, Tate as a Returner).

Resign Jim Leonard. Solid depth a locker room leader, knows the system and doesn't make mistakes.

No changes with Darues and Johnson. Marrone made an example of Dareus. The season was over and he didn't want his players losing focus I agree with that 100% but Dareus showed huge improvement this year. The veterans will rub off on him and he will be fine. Stevie showed a great deal of maturity this year, he didn't show a ton on the field however, but I believe the way Stevie plays this game relies on chemistry and getting reps. He needs to be on the same page with the QB and that obviously was a challenge this year. He gets a pass and a chance to prove himself next year.

Potential depth moves at LBer, Pat Angerer, Donald Butler, Jamari Lattimore. I also have no objection to resigning Moats.

In the draft we take BPA every single pick. With a focus on WR, OL, LB:
    Players I like in round 1 (not necessarily at 9). CJ Mosley, ILB (Bama), Sammy Watkins, WR (Clemson), Eric Ebron, TE (NC), Kelvin Benjamin, WR (FSU), Ryan Shazier, OLB (Ohio), Zach Martin, OG (ND)
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: My Offseason Plans

I get people want to replace Chandler, as I'm one of them, yet what I don't get is why we think replacing him with another team's backup see Graham/Quarless means we've improved the position? As both the guys mentioned only had career years because of injuries to the guys ahead of them. To me if you want to improve the TE you don't take a risk but take a proven guy. It's why I've been calling for Pitta the last few weeks. I'd give him a Jared Cook type offer on the first few days of free agency and not look back.

Jarius Byrd is a hot topic. I say better to keep a Pro Bowl player than let one guy. We all said last offseason that we can't afford to keep a Pro Bowl talent like Levitre at LG and can better use his cap money for other needs and what is one of our top needs coming into 2014? None other than LG. Don't make the mistake with FS. Give him the money he wants and in a long term contract so we can focus on other needs in the coming years.

I jokingly brought up the name Mike Pollok in another thread as a veteran OG we'd sign to shore up the spot at LG but in reality he is an ideal backup/veteran type I could see bringing in. Much like Legursky from last year but he's a little taller and more experienced. I don't mind him as a backup to a rookie like David Yankey, who I like as our second round pick.

At WR, we need to improve. Yet to me we also need a physical guy. I've brought him up other threads but James Jones to me is that guy. Yes, he's not Megatron/Dez Bryant/Demarious Thomas/AJ Green sized but he is a tough move the chains guy you can look to throw to in the redzone type we lack. Toss in at 30 giving him a two - three year contract is better for the Bills as gives us time to further develop Robert Woods. Singing him also allows you to keep Graham/Goodwin to be what role they're best suited for which is returnman/depth receiver. Toss in all I remember this offseason is the Bills talked about Marrone's offense rooted in the WCO and to me Jones has experience with his Green Bay ties and fits the mold of a WCO type WR. Tate's numbers are better but he's a tad small and I can't see the Seahawks risk losing him where the Packers can move aside Jones as have Nelson and Cobb and Boykin ready to step in 2014. Hawkins is a bit of a meh as he's shined at times with the Bengals but not sure he is a real improvement over Goodwin/Graham.

Carpenter had a great year here but he's a kicker, we drafted Hopkins. At the end of the day if Hopkins isn't healthy enough to play in 2014 then find another veteran to play the Carpenter/Lindell role or get someone younger and sign him to a three year deal but to me I'm not ready to say singing a kicker a key offseason move. Punter however is a different story, I love Brian Moorman just like any other Bills fan but we need to replace him. Jim Leonhard is like Moorman in that his a lunch pail guy that fans love but at the end of the day I don't say he's a must sign but if want to bring him in again sure why not but the more he place the less we'll know what Williams and Meeks offer.

My draft concerns are MLB/WLB and CJ Mosley seems to be at the top of everyone's wish list right now. As to me as we saw asking a rookie LB to step in and start isn't a bad thing. We've seen Alonso, Poz, Conlan do it quite well. Meanwhile asking a rookie WR to step in and be a top flight guy usually an exception. In the later rounds I look for O-lineman and hope. David Yankey's a guy I pencil in Round 2 as seems like can fit the Levitre strong pass blocking good run blocking LG we could use. Round 3 feels like a good round to take a RT and I've mentioned Ja’Wuan James in other threads.

Comment

• The King
      • Jun 2004

James Jones is 29 and he's been successful, but only while Cobb, Nelson, Jennings were drawing double teams. When Jones had to carry the load himself he's not getting the best of top DB's. You can get the same production from a rookie, Jones would be a good depth guy but he's not looking for WR3 money.

I like Pitta, but he's missed a whole season, he's probably the most attractive TE on the market assuming Jimmy Graham gets locked up. I don't want to shell out what he's going to command on the FA market.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

'Not willing to negotiate' on Byrd's part equals 'Ralph is cheap' for many of the posters around here.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The King
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          'Not willing to negotiate' on Byrd's part equals 'Ralph is cheap' for many of the posters around here.
          There just has to be some give and take. His negotiation will set a standard for other players as well.
          It was all

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by The King View Post
            There just has to be some give and take. His negotiation will set a standard for other players as well.
            I agree with you...Byrd and Parker don't. If there were any actual negotiations, he probably would have been signed last spring.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• The King
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              I agree with you...Byrd and Parker don't. If there were any actual negotiations, he probably would have been signed last spring.
              Which is why I listed Ihenacho as well. He's a very good safety too. Probably about 3-4M less per season than Byrd.
              It was all

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

James Jones is 29 and he's been successful, but only while Cobb, Nelson, Jennings were drawing double teams. When Jones had to carry the load himself he's not getting the best of top DB's. You can get the same production from a rookie, Jones would be a good depth guy but he's not looking for WR3 money.

I like Pitta, but he's missed a whole season, he's probably the most attractive TE on the market assuming Jimmy Graham gets locked up. I don't want to shell out what he's going to command on the FA market.
                All that matters to me and Jones is 1)He's far and away better than Graham/Goodwin and 2)He has size and is a legitimate red zone threat. We saw what Robert did as a rookie, which was goof but not James Jones' good. I've shared in other threads that too many of us have unrealistic expectations on rookies. I know someone will point out Keenan Allen but think his numbers got inflated because Rivers had no one else to throw to in San Diego. At least EJ has Stevie and Woods in 2014. As good as Mike Evans looks on paper, if I'm playing for to win in 2014 I want a veteran WR.

In terms of shelling out for Pitta than don't expect us to improve the TE position. The Bills have $29M to play with, if we give Byrd his money that's roughly $9M which leaves us $20M Pitta could cost around $7M and a guy like Jones $5M . I'm not sure what the rookie class will cost but I can't think it be more than $7M.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

its not even a probably, if byrd has been willing to negotiate at all hed be in a long term deal right now
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Which is why I listed Ihenacho as well. He's a very good safety too. Probably about 3-4M less per season than Byrd.
                    Well, he's almost a full .2 faster than Byrd...
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• imbondz
                      Democrats are people too
                      • Jan 2003

my off season plan is to try to not be so addicted to this site that never brings me joy but only heartache.
                      My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                        my off season plan is to try to not be so addicted to this site that never brings me joy but only heartache.
                        is it the 'sites' fault or is it the perpetual state of suck of our beloved favorite team?
                        I came.
                        I saw.
                        I conquered.

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

You're a lot more focused than I am, my offseason plans are just to grow a beard while it's cold, and cut it off again when it gets warm. Was thinking about putting up a nail to hang something on the wall, but no sense rushing it before next season starts.

I will tell you this though, if Doug Whaley were to call me today I'd be astonished and ask him how he got my number.

Comment

• Novacane
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by imbondz View Post

Good luck with that lol

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                              You're a lot more focused than I am, my offseason plans are just to grow a beard while it's cold, and cut it off again when it gets warm. Was thinking about putting up a nail to hang something on the wall, but no sense rushing it before next season starts.

I will tell you this though, if Doug Whaley were to call me today I'd be astonished and ask him how he got my number.
                              Back in the day, when Will Wolford was bolting for Indy, I called and left a message with John Butler's secretary. Shortly after I returned home from work the phone rang, and it was JB returning my call.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                              X