As a Bills fan: who to root for in the 2013 playoffs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyGold
    • Dec 2008

As a Bills fan: who to root for in the 2013 playoffs!

Being on vacation this week, I had a little time on my hands to create a mathematical formula for who we (as Bills fans) should cheer for this postseason. Now, keep in mind, this is nothing overly complicated... I merely assigned point values to certain measures of success that an NFL franchise can experience on a season by season basis. They were:

Attaining a wild card (1 point)
    Winning a division (2 points)
    Winning a wild card game (4 points)
    Winning a divisional round playoff game (8 points)
    Winning a conference title (16 points)
    Winning a Super Bowl (32 points)

Using the results from the Super Bowl era only, I calculated the relative value of each franchise in this years playoffs, and the Buffalo Bills as well. It worked out to the following:

1) San Francisco 49ers (423 points)
    2) New England Patriots (331)
    3) Green Bay Packers (329)
    4) Denver Broncos (263)
    5) Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts (237)
    *) Buffalo Bills (138)
    6) Philadelphia Eagles (137)
    7) Kansas City Chiefs (111)
    8) New Orleans Saints (87)
    9) San Diego Chargers (83)
    10) Seattle Seahawks (77)
    11) Cincinnati Bengals (72)
    12) Carolina Panthers (57)

A few things that were interesting to me:

* How bout dem Bills! For you younger posters: we haven't always been the dregs of the league. If I were to include AFL championships--the Bills would damn near be considered a "storied" franchise.

* Look at the teams that got a bye in the NFC: the Panthers and the Seahawks, 2 of the bottom 3 "valued" franchises on this list

If anyone (literally anyone...) finds this even slightly interesting, I'm just looking for an excuse to include every team, and go all the way back to the beginning of professional football... It would make a good project for some point this winter.

Anyways... enjoy, and go GO PANTHERS!
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: As a Bills fan: who to root for in the 2013 playoffs!

Drugs r bad... in this case however, I recommend an increased dosage.

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

I'll root for the Patriots as it gives them lower draft picks and builds on the legacy that is Brady and Bill Belichick and may want them to retire sooner than later as how much more do they want to prove?

Comment

• Ed
        Dude
        • Sep 2002

Go Broncos

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
          I'll root for the Patriots as it gives them lower draft picks and builds on the legacy that is Brady and Bill Belichick and may want them to retire sooner than later as how much more do they want to prove?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
            Get Out. ]
            Trust me I hate them as much as anyone but I still respect them.

Comment

• Thurmal
              • Oct 2005

"Anyone but New England" is the obvious answer. I would love to see someone like San Diego knock them out.
              "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                Trust me I hate them as much as anyone but I still respect them.
                I respect them too but I never wish them success.

I'll root for Cincy, because they've been tortured as badly as we have. Plus Vontaze Burfict on media week will be comedy gold.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Nice job...very interesting. If you include the old AAFL, Cleveland should shoot up pretty high also.

1) San Francisco 49ers - no way. Don't like Harbaugh, and don't want Whitner to get a ring. Yes, I can be petty like that.
                  2) New England Patriots - no ****ing way. I hope they get screwed somewhere along the line. Karma is a *****.
                  3) Green Bay Packers - Maybe...except my boss is a Pack fan and always dogs on Buffalo, so that's a big downside.
                  4) Denver Broncos - Maybe...except my (insert co-worker here and repeat the above)
                  5) Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts - I'd be OK with Indy. Frank Reich is still QB coach there, right?
                  6) Philadelphia Eagles - Screw Chip Kelly, I hope he learns that defenses win championships in the NFL.
                  7) Kansas City Chiefs - Maybe...Gives Bills fans hope.
                  8) New Orleans Saints - Maybe...Would like to see the city have another one to celebrate.
                  9) San Diego Chargers - No, with no real reason.
                  10) Seattle Seahawks - Hell no. Pete Carroll can eat a dick. Admittedly, I love their D and watching Marshawn truck the ball though.
                  11) Cincinnati Bengals - Hell no, part 2. Screw Lewis for snubbing us.
                  12) Carolina Panthers - Not a fan of Cam, so no.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Thurmal
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    Nice job...very interesting. If you include the old AAFL, Cleveland should shoot up pretty high also.

1) San Francisco 49ers - no way. Don't like Harbaugh, and don't want Whitner to get a ring. Yes, I can be petty like that.
                    2) New England Patriots - no ****ing way. I hope they get screwed somewhere along the line. Karma is a *****.
                    3) Green Bay Packers - Maybe...except my boss is a Pack fan and always dogs on Buffalo, so that's a big downside.
                    4) Denver Broncos - Maybe...except my (insert co-worker here and repeat the above)
                    5) Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts - I'd be OK with Indy. Frank Reich is still QB coach there, right?
                    6) Philadelphia Eagles - Screw Chip Kelly, I hope he learns that defenses win championships in the NFL.
                    8) New Orleans Saints - Maybe...Would like to see the city have another one to celebrate.
                    10) Seattle Seahawks - Hell no. Pete Carroll can eat a dick. Admittedly, I love their D and watching Marshawn truck the ball though.
                    That's some lofty hatred. Nice work.

It seems like come playoff time, when you're a Bills fan you pull against teams rather than for them.
                    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
                      shelby's big brother smilie smilie
                      • Mar 2007

Im rooting for anyone who will beat the Pats. Rooting for them? God Im going to barf!

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
                        That's some lofty hatred. Nice work.

It seems like come playoff time, when you're a Bills fan you pull against teams rather than for them.
                        Rooting against teams is just as much a part of the sport as rooting for them
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                          • Jun 2024

Didn`t the NYG win 2 SBs over the past 6 years which alone is 64 points.
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                            Didn`t the NYG win 2 SBs over the past 6 years which alone is 64 points.
                            He only included this year's playoff teams, plus Buffalo.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• pmoon6
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post

Reich is the SD QB's Coach. Interesting when San Diego beat Denver, Reich came over to Peyton to shake hands and talk and Manning snubbed him. So, the image that Peyton puts on of being the quintessential sportsman took a hit in my book. If the league didn't protect most of these "elite" as much as they do, they might not even make the playoffs let alone set passing records.

Personally, I root for KC, Bengals and the Chargers.

Comment

Working...
                              X