PDA

View Full Version : As a Bills fan: who to root for in the 2013 playoffs!

JohnnyGold
12-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Being on vacation this week, I had a little time on my hands to create a mathematical formula for who we (as Bills fans) should cheer for this postseason. Now, keep in mind, this is nothing overly complicated... I merely assigned point values to certain measures of success that an NFL franchise can experience on a season by season basis. They were:

Attaining a wild card (1 point)
Winning a division (2 points)
Winning a wild card game (4 points)
Winning a divisional round playoff game (8 points)
Winning a conference title (16 points)
Winning a Super Bowl (32 points)

Using the results from the Super Bowl era only, I calculated the relative value of each franchise in this years playoffs, and the Buffalo Bills as well. It worked out to the following:

1) San Francisco 49ers (423 points)
2) New England Patriots (331)
3) Green Bay Packers (329)
4) Denver Broncos (263)
5) Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts (237)
*) Buffalo Bills (138)
6) Philadelphia Eagles (137)
7) Kansas City Chiefs (111)
8) New Orleans Saints (87)
9) San Diego Chargers (83)
10) Seattle Seahawks (77)
11) Cincinnati Bengals (72)
12) Carolina Panthers (57)

A few things that were interesting to me:

* How bout dem Bills! For you younger posters: we haven't always been the dregs of the league. If I were to include AFL championships--the Bills would damn near be considered a "storied" franchise.

* Look at the teams that got a bye in the NFC: the Panthers and the Seahawks, 2 of the bottom 3 "valued" franchises on this list

If anyone (literally anyone...) finds this even slightly interesting, I'm just looking for an excuse to include every team, and go all the way back to the beginning of professional football... It would make a good project for some point this winter.

Anyways... enjoy, and go GO PANTHERS!

coastal
12-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Drugs r bad... in this case however, I recommend an increased dosage.

The Jokeman
12-31-2013, 01:13 PM
I'll root for the Patriots as it gives them lower draft picks and builds on the legacy that is Brady and Bill Belichick and may want them to retire sooner than later as how much more do they want to prove?

Ed
12-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Go Broncos

IlluminatusUIUC
12-31-2013, 01:19 PM
I'll root for the Patriots as it gives them lower draft picks and builds on the legacy that is Brady and Bill Belichick and may want them to retire sooner than later as how much more do they want to prove?

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/128/b/2/ha_ha_get_out__by_wolf_shadow77-d3fujm9.png

The Jokeman
12-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Get Out. ] Trust me I hate them as much as anyone but I still respect them.

Thurmal
12-31-2013, 01:32 PM
"Anyone but New England" is the obvious answer. I would love to see someone like San Diego knock them out.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Trust me I hate them as much as anyone but I still respect them.

I respect them too but I never wish them success.

I'll root for Cincy, because they've been tortured as badly as we have. Plus Vontaze Burfict on media week will be comedy gold.

YardRat
12-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Nice job...very interesting. If you include the old AAFL, Cleveland should shoot up pretty high also.

1) San Francisco 49ers - no way. Don't like Harbaugh, and don't want Whitner to get a ring. Yes, I can be petty like that.
2) New England Patriots - no ****ing way. I hope they get screwed somewhere along the line. Karma is a *****.
3) Green Bay Packers - Maybe...except my boss is a Pack fan and always dogs on Buffalo, so that's a big downside.
4) Denver Broncos - Maybe...except my (insert co-worker here and repeat the above)
5) Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts - I'd be OK with Indy. Frank Reich is still QB coach there, right?
6) Philadelphia Eagles - Screw Chip Kelly, I hope he learns that defenses win championships in the NFL.
7) Kansas City Chiefs - Maybe...Gives Bills fans hope.
8) New Orleans Saints - Maybe...Would like to see the city have another one to celebrate.
9) San Diego Chargers - No, with no real reason.
10) Seattle Seahawks - Hell no. Pete Carroll can eat a dick. Admittedly, I love their D and watching Marshawn truck the ball though.
11) Cincinnati Bengals - Hell no, part 2. Screw Lewis for snubbing us.
12) Carolina Panthers - Not a fan of Cam, so no.

Thurmal
12-31-2013, 02:06 PM
Nice job...very interesting. If you include the old AAFL, Cleveland should shoot up pretty high also.

1) San Francisco 49ers - no way. Don't like Harbaugh, and don't want Whitner to get a ring. Yes, I can be petty like that.
2) New England Patriots - no ****ing way. I hope they get screwed somewhere along the line. Karma is a *****.
3) Green Bay Packers - Maybe...except my boss is a Pack fan and always dogs on Buffalo, so that's a big downside.
4) Denver Broncos - Maybe...except my (insert co-worker here and repeat the above)
5) Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts - I'd be OK with Indy. Frank Reich is still QB coach there, right?
6) Philadelphia Eagles - Screw Chip Kelly, I hope he learns that defenses win championships in the NFL.
8) New Orleans Saints - Maybe...Would like to see the city have another one to celebrate.
10) Seattle Seahawks - Hell no. Pete Carroll can eat a dick. Admittedly, I love their D and watching Marshawn truck the ball though.
12) Carolina Panthers - Not a fan of Cam, so no.
That's some lofty hatred. Nice work.

It seems like come playoff time, when you're a Bills fan you pull against teams rather than for them.

Oldbillsfan
12-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Im rooting for anyone who will beat the Pats. Rooting for them? God Im going to barf!

YardRat
12-31-2013, 02:14 PM
That's some lofty hatred. Nice work.

It seems like come playoff time, when you're a Bills fan you pull against teams rather than for them.

Rooting against teams is just as much a part of the sport as rooting for them :D

SpikedLemonade
12-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Didn`t the NYG win 2 SBs over the past 6 years which alone is 64 points.

YardRat
12-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Didn`t the NYG win 2 SBs over the past 6 years which alone is 64 points.

He only included this year's playoff teams, plus Buffalo.

pmoon6
12-31-2013, 02:33 PM

12) Carolina Panthers - Not a fan of Cam, so no.Reich is the SD QB's Coach. Interesting when San Diego beat Denver, Reich came over to Peyton to shake hands and talk and Manning snubbed him. So, the image that Peyton puts on of being the quintessential sportsman took a hit in my book. If the league didn't protect most of these "elite" as much as they do, they might not even make the playoffs let alone set passing records.

Personally, I root for KC, Bengals and the Chargers.

TacklingDummy
12-31-2013, 02:37 PM
San Diego or Denver.

pmoon6
12-31-2013, 02:41 PM
**** Denver.

YardRat
12-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Reich is the SD QB's Coach. Interesting when San Diego beat Denver, Reich came over to Peyton to shake hands and talk and Manning snubbed him. So, the image that Peyton puts on of being the quintessential sportsman took a hit in my book. If the league didn't protect most of these "elite" as much as they do, they might not even make the playoffs let alone set passing records.

Personally, I root for KC, Bengals and the Chargers.

OK then, I'll swap my analysis on San Diego and Indy...wouldn't mind seeing Reich get a ring.

Ed
12-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Broncos vs. Seahawks would probably make for the best superbowl, so I would hope for that.

coastal
12-31-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm rooting for Seattle and a Marshawn Lunch MVP.

pmoon6
12-31-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm rooting for Seattle and a Marshawn Lunch MVP.HaHa. No alterior motive here.

Miami_Vice
12-31-2013, 04:02 PM
I'd like to see Peyton get another ring. So Denver. Anyone but the Colts or Pats

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-31-2013, 05:07 PM
i just couldn't be happier that the steelers didn't make it as someone who lived in pittsburgh for 6 miserable f***ing years. That team is SOOOO f***ing lucky and their fans are such spoiled little bastard *****s. And of course (since they are so lucky) it was fitting that despite the fact that they needed a complete miracle to make the playoffs that they almost did. They are like Chris Kelsey.. They just will NEVER go away and leave you alone.

- - - Updated - - -

i just couldn't be happier that the steelers didn't make it as someone who lived in pittsburgh for 6 miserable f***ing years. That team is SOOOO f***ing lucky and their fans are such spoiled little bastard *****s. And of course (since they are so lucky) it was fitting that despite the fact that they needed a complete miracle to make the playoffs that they almost did. They are like Chris Kelsey.. They just will NEVER go away and leave you alone.

WagonCircler
12-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Peyton.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Go Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick so it can finally put the notion that running QBs can't win in this league out of some people's heads.

Night Train
12-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Go Broncos

Manning is my favorite non-Bill and I want him to win 1 more SB.

Mace
12-31-2013, 07:09 PM
I always fall back to the Saints, because I remember Archie Manning being an awesome QB without a team around him, they have cool colors and helmets, and I always wanted to end up on a porch in a bayou.

stuckincincy
12-31-2013, 07:16 PM

I lived there 11 years. I share your sentiments about the club and the fans. Still to this date, I exclaim "clunk" to my wife, when yet another lucky horseshoe falls out of their rears. They also have run neck and neck with DEN for being the cheap shot-and-get-away-with-it kings.

The Natrix
12-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Don't want to see win it:

New England - Obviously

Cincy- Envisioning Dalton playing Christian music on his acoustic guitar annoys me. Sorry rest of Bengals team.

Philly - I've never cared for the entire NFC East

YardRat
12-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Go Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick so it can finally put the notion that running QBs can't win in this league out of some people's heads.

Why is it necessary to prove otherwise? If they can't, and it's proven, why not just accept it?

pmoon6
01-01-2014, 05:59 AM
Why is it necessary to prove otherwise? If they can't, and it's proven, why not just accept it?Because like I said, the Anti-Fans would rather be "right" than anything else.

Mr. PinkPansie couldn't even admit that both Seattles and SFs defenses running games and defenses were built before Wilson and Kaepernick got to their respective cities and those units carry the team. That goes against his theory that QB is the only position on the field and therefore the ball licking of both QBs. Or maybe race plays a part in Pinkies admiration?.

JohnnyGold
01-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Philly - I've never cared for the entire NFC East

True confessions of a Bills fan: I love every team in the NFC--even the Giants, the Redskins, and yes, the Dallas Cowboys.

Years and years of watching interconference games and rooting for random NFC teams to defeat random AFC teams to "improve" the Bills playoff standing (ha!) has conditioned me to be partial to every team in that conference. Not to mention, the Giants 2 upset Super Bowl victories over the Patriots.

RedEyE
01-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Refuse to root for any other AFC team than Buffalo. I'll be cheering for the Packers for too many reasons to list.

justasportsfan
01-01-2014, 10:11 AM
broncos are my Far 2nd favorite team after bills. I hope NE gets eliminated badly in their first playoff game proving more that BB can't win the sb without cheating

Mr. Pink
01-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Because like I said, the Anti-Fans would rather be "right" than anything else.

Mr. PinkPansie couldn't even admit that both Seattles and SFs defenses running games and defenses were built before Wilson and Kaepernick got to their respective cities and those units carry the team. That goes against his theory that QB is the only position on the field and therefore the ball licking of both QBs. Or maybe race plays a part in Pinkies admiration?.

Yeah that must be it. You'd think Steve Young and John Elway proved QBs who run can win the big game 20 years ago but nope, you have people like you who are stuck with 1970s NFL mentality still around. So I'm sure even if the Hawks or 9ers win the Superbowl, people will like you will do whatever they can to discredit Kaepernick and Wilson anyway.

pmoon6
01-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Yeah that must be it. You'd think Steve Young and John Elway proved QBs who run can win the big game 20 years ago but nope, you have people like you who are stuck with 1970s NFL mentality still around. So I'm sure even if the Hawks or 9ers win the Superbowl, people will like you will do whatever they can to discredit Kaepernick and Wilson anyway.I like being stuck in the '70's and of course I will.

My new job is to be a needle in your side.

Lecter approved.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2014, 11:49 AM
I like being stuck in the '70's and of course I will.

My new job is to be a needle in your side.

Lecter approved.

Every hero needs an archenemy. :up:

Thanks!

pmoon6
01-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Thanks!:rofl:

THATHURMANATOR
01-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Denver and Green Bay here.

I love to watch Manning and Rodgers.

BillsFever21
01-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Thanks!

Which one is David Dunn and which one is going to be Mr. Glass? That was a great movie.

BillsFever21
01-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I definitely don't want the Patriots in the Super Bowl as probably every Bills fan would hate to see. I'm not a big fan of Peyton Manning. He already has his ring and wouldn't mind watching him choke in the playoffs again.

If I could pick two teams that I would want to see in the Super Bowl then I would go with the Chargers and Seahawks. The Seahawks have a great chance and will be tough to beat in Seattle. I wouldn't mind seeing the Chargers over the rest of the AFC teams. I doubt that will happen though.

The AFC is so weak this year that unless the Chiefs, Colts, Bengals or Chargers get hot and go on a good run that it will probably be either the Broncos or Patriots. The Pats aren't great this year but they seem to find ways to win either way. If there were better teams in the AFC I wouldn't give them a great chance this year but that's not the case.

Owen DeBoard
01-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Because like I said, the Anti-Fans would rather be "right" than anything else.

Very well put.

Historian
01-02-2014, 07:27 AM
I love Denver, but can't stand its pizza-hawking QB.

I would like to see Seattle win it all...just somebody different.

Seeing SD KC CINN win a SB would bother me, because it would exhaserbate the fact that Buffalo has become an irrelevent, football wasteland to see other **** franchises win one before us. (KC aside) Seattle too really, but at least they have been fun to watch.

stuckincincy
01-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Anybody but DEN, with their long tradition of offensive line chop blocks to intentionally injure players, and all those years of the refs having a blind eye to Elway's past-the-LOS tosses.