PDA

View Full Version : Norv Turner - Upgrade From Kid Hackett

Night Train
01-01-2014, 10:53 AM
He's 61 and leaving Cleveland in a bad mood, if you read his blasting of the owners there yesterday.

Not much of a HC but an excellent OC. Thrived in that role with the great Cowboy teams of the 90's, Troy Aikman says he owes him everything to his development.

Don't we have a young QB needing development and better play calling fitting his skill sets ? Instant credibility. Just a thought.

THATHURMANATOR
01-01-2014, 10:58 AM
No he runs and old and tired offense.

I keep Hackett personally. The guy was dealing with a rookie, a practice squad nobody, and an undrafted FA rookie.

If more of the same next year then yes bye bye

YardRat
01-01-2014, 11:11 AM
I've always favored hiring experienced coordinators with a proven track record...they'll contribute more to a team's success far more than a head coach. One of my criticisms of Marrone is his hiring...I don't mind giving young guys their shots, but Hackett has to improve by leaps and bounds next season if this team hopes to improve on the offensive side of the ball. Like EJ he deserves a little bit of time to develop his skills, but if Turner could fit in I certainly would strongly consider bringing him in as a QB coach and to assist Hackett with his growth.

SpikedLemonade
01-01-2014, 11:25 AM
I would hire Norv as OC in a minute.

He had crap to work with in Cleveland.

cookie G
01-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Norv Turner's offense built one of the greatest Oline's of all time, much like Joe Gibbs' offense was built around the Hogs.

The deeper routes usually take more time to develop.

You don't run an offense like that with people like Colin Brown and Robert Pears.

That said, if Hackett's going to make it, he has a ton of work to do.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Turner's offense likes throwing the ball down the field...EJ Manuel doesn't like throwing the ball down the field.

YardRat
01-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Norv Turner's offense built one of the greatest Oline's of all time, much like Joe Gibbs' offense was built around the Hogs.

The deeper routes usually take more time to develop.

You don't run an offense like that with people like Colin Brown and Robert Pears.

That said, if Hackett's going to make it, he has a ton of work to do.

Actually, Dallas' offensive line when Turner was OC there was built around guys like Brown and Pears.

Gesek was a Raiders cast-off, originally drafted in the tenth round.
Gogan was an 8th rounder, drafted by Washington.
Newton was fat and an UDFA for Washington, had to start his career in the USFL before landing in Dallas.
Stepnoski was a third rounder.
Tuinei was an UDFA for the Cowboys and was originally signed to play DT.
Williams was a third rounder.

Maybe one of the greatest olines of all time, but certainly not built with high draft picks or expensive free agents. By a long shot.

BillsFever21
01-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Hackett won't be replaced this season. He is Marrone's buddy he brought with him from Syracuse and him and the front office will give him at least another year. Plus the Bills aren't usually the type to hire experienced and/or expensive coordinators.

BillsImpossible
01-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Turner's offense likes throwing the ball down the field...EJ Manuel doesn't like throwing the ball down the field.

If no team hires Turner as their OC, I'd love to have him as EJ Manuel's QB Coach.

kingJofNYC
01-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Marrone isn't firing his boy, not yet anyway.

bdutton
01-01-2014, 01:45 PM
The offense didn't suck bad enough with rookies running a new system to call for anyone getting fired.

OLDSRIP
01-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Actually, Dallas' offensive line when Turner was OC there was built around guys like Brown and Pears.

Gesek was a Raiders cast-off, originally drafted in the tenth round.
Gogan was an 8th rounder, drafted by Washington.
Newton was fat and an UDFA for Washington, had to start his career in the USFL before landing in Dallas.
Stepnoski was a third rounder.
Tuinei was an UDFA for the Cowboys and was originally signed to play DT.
Williams was a third rounder.

Maybe one of the greatest olines of all time, but certainly not built with high draft picks or expensive free agents. By a long shot.

Sounds like we should be looking for who ever the o line coach of that team was.

Goobylal
01-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Having a rookie QB and a rookie OC who also doubled as the (rookie) QB coach was a bad mix. At this point Marrone isn't going to part ways with Hackett (especially considering he apparently gave Crossman an endorsement), but hopefully they hire an experienced QB coach.

The Beef
01-01-2014, 09:28 PM
I like Hackett. He was limited early by EJ being so green.

Despite a QB situation that was one if the 5 worst in the league, he coordinated a running attack that finished second in the league behind an OLine lacking even average talent at LG and RT.

After the first month of the season he offense lacked execution, not creativity. He was by no means perfect, but the goal was clear. Play smash mout football, control the football, take shots deep. This guy was light years ahead of offenses we witnessed with Mike Shepherd, Dan Henning, Kevin Gilbride, Steve Fairchild, Turk Schonert, AVP. That list is terrible, and surely some of it was lack of talent from the players, lack of consistency in the staff but all in al, most of these guy's sucked. They lacked imagination and didn't play to, or couldn't identify the team's strengths.

I have no problem with Hackett for another season. Let him work on the screen game and misdirection, give him a real OLine, and cross your fingers, improved play from EJ and hopefully the offense takes a leap.

Night Train
01-02-2014, 04:50 AM
I don't expect a change to be made either.

What was bothersome were all those 3rd and short calls where Hackett had our erratic QB's throw these deep sideline passes that didn't even come close. That happened frequently. Why not just run Fred or throw a short pass to anyone in order to move the chains ? Sustain the drive and keep the D from being gassed.

I'm surprised Marrone didn't kill that failing practice after a couple times. That was so frustrating and unnecessary.

Historian
01-02-2014, 05:39 AM
I've always favored hiring experienced coordinators with a proven track record...

Ralph doesn't.

Never happen.

YardRat
01-02-2014, 05:40 AM
Ralph doesn't.

Never happen.

Oh, c'mon now Hist...Pettine is a good example.

Historian
01-02-2014, 05:59 AM
How many SBs did we go into with Walt Corey running our D, or Tom Breshnihan as OC?

I'm with you, Rat. I think experienced coordinators are the key to success, ala Dom Capers, etc. There is nothing better than a coordinator with HC experience. Think of how dynamic our O was with Ted Marchibroda here running it for Marv.

Unfortunately, RW pays such rock bottom wages for his head coach, no experienced coordinators are going to come here for half of what they could make in Chicago...NY...or KC.

It's simple economics.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Ralph doesn't.

Never happen.

He's old and senile. What we do is get Norv in and during the interview have him change his last name to Tanner. Then he says Mr. Wilson, I'm Norv Tanner, I was the waterboy for a NCAA division three team, but I like seeing passes and running plays and think its fun to doodle running plays on napkins at Denny's. Ralph is sure to hire him then. Its really the only way.

Bill Cody
01-02-2014, 05:53 PM
EJ is still working on THIS playbook. You want him to learn another one?

Bill Cody
01-02-2014, 05:59 PM
He's old and senile. What we do is get Norv in and during the interview have him change his last name to Tanner. Then he says Mr. Wilson, I'm Norv Tanner, I was the waterboy for a NCAA division three team, but I like seeing passes and running plays and think its fun to doodle running plays on napkins at Denny's. Ralph is sure to hire him then. Its really the only way.

Tanner was the kid on the Bad News Bears. He'd fit in here ok.

Bill Cody
01-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Marrone isn't firing his boy, not yet anyway.

Hackett had a similar year to EJ, uneven with some reason for hope and some reason for despair. They both get another year before the whole ship floats or sinks like the Titanic

Generalissimus Gibby
01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Tanner was the kid on the Bad News Bears. He'd fit in here ok.

I forget, one of the two older kids who were really good, or one of the others? I could just see Ralph and Russ being intrigued by a WR, Return man, or DB who played like that one outfielder o that movie who could never catch anything.

kishoph
01-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Unless Jason Campbell was running someone else's offense, what you say doesn't show in the stats. In 9 games Jason Campbell threw the ball in the air 2 times over 41 yds., in 10 (9 1/2) games Manuel threw 5 passes over 41 yds. Campbell threw 9 passes between 31 and 40 yds., Manuel threw 9. Campbell threw 8 passes between 21 and 30 yds., Manuel threw 19. In all passes that went over 21 yds. Manuel had 5 TD's Campbell had 3 TD's. EJ Manuel ranked 18th in percentage of passes thrown down field.