X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

EJ Manuel being good is our only shot

Enough already with the draft Manziel crap. You know they wouldn't do that so why even talk about it?

Also enough with the QB competition garbage. Thad Lewis is a backup level QB at best.

If we want any shot at being a good team we need to do everything possible to get EJ ready for next season.
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: EJ Manuel being good is our only shot

if they get an aaron rodgers type draft fall from some qb who is the hugely bpa at the time i can see them taking him but otherwise theres no chance they will use a high pick on a qb. they arent going to trade for anybody good, and there wont be any good qb fas so youre right they really have no choice but to go/stay all-in on ej

i do think thad will be a long term backup and might be a bottom level starter with time
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I agree that we've hitched our wagon to EJ and he needs to be given every opportunity to develop, but if we upgrade the oline and continue to make improvements to the D we could have a 'shot' with anybody at QB, including Jeff Tuel.

Yeah...I went there...
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        I agree that we've hitched our wagon to EJ and he needs to be given every opportunity to develop, .

He's had every opportunity to develop, its not the coaches or anyone elses fault that KneeJ can't stay healthy.

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        but if we upgrade the oline and continue to make improvements to the D we could have a 'shot' with anybody at QB, including Jeff Tuel.
        So another words instead of the QB being a leader and making everyone else around him better, the Bills should make everyone around EJ better in hopes he's not a bust?

All the great QBs throughout time make everyone around them better. Manning, Brady, Kelly, Marino, Elway, Rodgers, Favre, etc...
        Last edited by TacklingDummy; 01-01-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

I am talking about at being good. Contending level.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
            • Mar 2013

I think Marrone was smart to say EJ Manuel is going to be the starter next year. He left no doubt, pretty much saying any talk of drafting another qb is totally out of the question.

Manuel was not 100% all season long. He played okay, had his moments, and played like a rookie. He was not an embarrassment. He didn't look like JP Losman. He wasn't as bad as Geno Smith. He had two horrible games, which was to be expected.

Manuel is still a young man growing into his huge body. Give him an entire off season to get healthy, and stronger for next year.

I'm skeptical as hell, but the kid deserves a 2nd shot to prove people wrong.

There's no going back now, the Bills are married to EJ Manuel for at least the next season.

And if EJ Manuel was healthy in 2013, I honestly think the Bills would have been 8-8.

Remember that Thursday Night game against Cleveland when catastrophe struck?

Just when it looked like the Bills were finally on their way to rolling the Browns and being good again, the defining play of the year happened.

Mulligan!

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
              He's had every opportunity to develop, its not the coaches or anyone elses fault that KneeJ can't stay healthy.
              I wouldn't consider half of a preseason and 10 regular season games 'every opportunity'. Yes, for his first season the injuries are a concern, but it's only one season, his first to boot.

So another words instead of the QB being a leader and making everyone else around him better, the Bills should make everyone around EJ better in hopes he's not a bust?

All the great QBs throughout time make everyone around them better. Manning, Brady, Kelly, Marino, Elway, Rodgers, Favre, etc...
              Yeah, but...

Peyton...couldn't win a playoff game hardly, let alone a Super Bowl, until his defense stepped up and played championship football.
              Eli...clutch in the big games, but average the rest of the time and led by the defense.
              Brady...Maybe the closest example, but still hasn't won since the defense was shelved in favor of the passing offense.
              Kelly...Frank Reich called to remind you of his record as a Bills' starter.
              Marino...sorry......his problem was he actually bought into your philosophy and thought his team's success depended solely on his performance.
              Elway...epic fail, until T.Davis came along to carry the load.
              Rodgers...I'll give you that one, but he did have the benefit of a defense that allowed the fewest points in the league.
              Favre...Marino with a ring. Thanks to Reggie White.

All we need EJ, or any QB, to do is come up big at crucial times in big games...that's what a QB adds to a championship. And nothing more. The rest of the real work belongs to the defense and the guys in the trenches. All the pretty passing stats during the regular season are just window dressing.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

Near future, absolutely. Get him enough support and Thad Lewis can win some games, but the Bills have hitched their wagon to EJ Manuel, and we need him to develop into a QB who can not only manage the offense be lead it and make big plays.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                  • Sep 2009

Then we're ****ed.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post

You hate everyone and every thing so I don't care what you have to say on anything Bills related. It is a broken record with you.

EJ has to take a huge leap forward next season. If he doesn't and continues to get injured I am fine with moving on, but to give up on him already is asinine and typical of our ADD fan base.

Typical Bills fan:

EHHHH DRAFT A QB EHHHHHH

After 2 games
                    MANUEL IS GOING TO THE HALL OF FAME EHHHHHHH

After a couple bad games
                    CUT DIS BUM NOW EHHHHHH

He looks amazing against the Jets
                    HEY SCHOPP AND DA BULLDAWG DIS MANUEL IS GOING TO BE GREAT EHHHHH

Hurts his knee after beating Jags
                    DIS BUM MANUEL NEEDS TO BE CUT. DRAFT DAT JOHNNY MANZEIAALLL GUY.

I can't take you people anymore.

Will EJ be good?? Who the hell knows. He showed some good things and some bad things. We knew he wasn't polished like Luck so why are we freaking out when he didn't light it up. I know for sure he was our best QB on the roster. The injuries concern me for sure, but none were season ending even that nasty hit in Cleveland. He now gets a full offseason to strengthen his knees, work on footwork, learn the offense, gel with his WRs. We aren't drafting a 1st round QB, We aren't signing crappy Jay Cutler, there should not be a QB competition with Thad.
                    Last edited by THATHURMANATOR; 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• 2slowtogofast
                      • Sep 2007

EJ being good is Marrone's only shot.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by 2slowtogofast View Post
                        EJ being good is Marrone's only shot.
                        Not only shot but huge part of his success.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                          • Nov 2009

He just needs to work on his footwork.

Get rid of Byrd, wait for EJ to magically develop, championship. Why is this so hard?

Besides, the real determining factor will be whether or not EJ wants to be in Buffalo.

It is absurd to make an authoritative statement about Manuel. We didn't see nearly enough, and what I saw was far from convincing. If you are in position to grab a guy. Grab a guy.

And for all of the "Lewis is a backup, period" statements...they sound pretty, but he sure looked like a better starter than Manuel did. Talk about lack of time to develop...how could you not be encouraged with what you saw out of him coming off of the practice squad? Why is he not able to magically develop? Because he had one previous NFL start?

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
                            Not only shot but huge part of his success.

What? That makes no sense. It is going to be success or failure that determines his legacy. If Manuel is what Manuel has looked like, Marrone will lose his shot. I don't know if you have noticed, but we don't keep coaches around.

The bright side is that we can rebuild...again...and again...and again...and people will still be excited about some UDFA that is going to be the savior.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid View Post
                              He just needs to work on his footwork.

Get rid of Byrd, wait for EJ to magically develop, championship. Why is this so hard?

Besides, the real determining factor will be whether or not EJ wants to be in Buffalo.

It is absurd to make an authoritative statement about Manuel. We didn't see nearly enough, and what I saw was far from convincing. If you are in position to grab a guy. Grab a guy.

And for all of the "Lewis is a backup, period" statements...they sound pretty, but he sure looked like a better starter than Manuel did. Talk about lack of time to develop...how could you not be encouraged with what you saw out of him coming off of the practice squad? Why is he not able to magically develop? Because he had one previous NFL start?
                              Thad was a 4 year veteran for christ's sake. Sure had only 1 start but has been around NFL camps, programs for 4 years.

He is a backup at best. In fact I would be fine with upgrading at backup over him. If we are talking Thad Lewis I am disgusted and already done with next season as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X