PDA

View Full Version : How about Michael Vick as a backup?

JohnnyGold
01-02-2014, 07:26 AM
This damn near seems logical at this point:

This quote comes from Vick himself, when he was looking to sign with an NFL team after getting out of prison:

“I didn’t want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options.” Those two teams wanted him and would’ve allowed him to start, but after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced – and granted league approval – to sign with Philly. “And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation.”

Fast forward to today, and Vick wants out of Philly, but with the caveat that he wants to start next year (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10226074/michael-vick-philadelphia-eagles-expects-start-qb-team-2014). He says he's open to returning to Philly to back up Foles--I'm not sure if he's hoping to be released/traded/or if he's a UFA.

Now, I can't think of a single team who would want a mobile 34 year old qb with an injury history as their starter... Oakland, potentially?

But if you think about the cap room we have/will have (when Byrd doesn't resign :yucky: ) why not take a flyer on Vick. With EJ's injury history, and the offense we run, you would have to think he would have a reasonable shot of starting some games by week 8. At that point, with the weapons on offense, and the (hopefully) still decent defense, it wouldn't be a long shot to think Vick could have this team at the top of the AFC.

He seems like the ideal guy to bring in as a backup?

*I only made this thread because I know Ralph/Russ wanted him, and it seems like a logical move this offseason from our "front office" (marketing department) to generate some enthusiasm for next season.

Novacane
01-02-2014, 07:32 AM
Can't see them doing this. They don't want a QB controversy and this would start one.

OpIv37
01-02-2014, 08:33 AM
This is not a good idea. Vick is far too expensive as a back-up, we'd have a potential QB controversy, and Thad has done fine as a back-up.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-02-2014, 08:37 AM
sounds great.
an injury riddled, inaccurate, mistake prone, turnover machine as QB.

can't think of anything better

WagonCircler
01-02-2014, 02:09 PM
sounds great.

can't think of anything better

Beat me to it.

But I feel the need to add:

**** Michael Vick.

jimmifli
01-02-2014, 02:27 PM
sounds great.

And he'd be the best QB on the roster.

OLDSRIP
01-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Maybe he would sign for less money if we told him that we have underground Bison fighting.

Meathead
01-02-2014, 02:51 PM
ron mexico vs. a wild buffalo steel cage match sunday sunday sunday

Thurmal
01-02-2014, 03:10 PM
I still can't believe that a bigger deal wasn't made out of the fact that the league commissioner forced Vick to go to a big-market team. That was shady as all hell, and any team with a decent front office (obviously not Buffalo) would've raised hell.

I'm convinced Goodell wants the Bills moved to Toronto or LA and will do whatever it takes to ensure it happens as quickly as possible.

WagonCircler
01-02-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm convinced Goodell wants the Bills moved to Toronto or LA and will do whatever it takes to ensure it happens as quickly as possible.

It doesn't matter what Goodell wants. No way in hell an existing franchise is allowed by the owners (who Goodell works for, BTW) to move to LA, when an expansion fee of well over $1 BIL would be divided evenly amongst them.

Follow the money.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Another ********* running back, and this one is an old one with head problems (the dogfighting thing, Ron Mexico, flipping off the Atlanta fans, etc. . . .), injury problems, and one who can't throw worth ****. There have only been two running qbs that have ever been any good in this league (Randall Cunningham and Cam Newton) and the jury is still out on Newton. So no thank you, not as a backup, and not as a starter because if you bring in Vick as a backup people will start clammoring for him to start. Then you have two backup calibre qbs and we continue to lose. Now I am not ready to write off Manuel just yet, but how about keeping the qbs we already have except for Jeff Tuel. EJ and Thad have both shown flashes of potential (they may or may not be flashes in the pan, but they were flashes). Sadly, Tuel has not. He's expendable.

better days
01-02-2014, 04:42 PM
I still can't believe that a bigger deal wasn't made out of the fact that the league commissioner forced Vick to go to a big-market team. That was shady as all hell, and any team with a decent front office (obviously not Buffalo) would've raised hell.

If Goodell was responsible for Vick going to Philly rather than Buffalo, I think it was to save the Bills for the City of Buffalo, not to have them moved.

BillsFever21
01-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Hell no on Vick. I would rather have a reliable veteran backup that isn't injured all the time or just stay with Lewis.

soapman
01-02-2014, 06:57 PM
How about Vick as the new starter?

BillsFever21
01-02-2014, 06:59 PM
How about Vick as the new starter?

For what the first month of the season before he starts getting injured every week? Then by week 8 he is knocked out for good.

Night Train
01-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Running out on the field to " Who let the dogs out " blasting over the PA system. It would drown out the booing, which would be entertaining for about 60 seconds..

soapman
01-02-2014, 07:12 PM
For what the first month of the season before he starts getting injured every week? Then by week 8 he is knocked out for good.
Are you referring to Vick or EJ? I'm not sure.

BillsFever21
01-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Are you referring to Vick or EJ? I'm not sure.

I'm talking about Vick but it may pertain to both of them. That makes it even more important to have a reliable backup that can stay on the field and win games. Vick has proven for years that's not going to happen.

The Eagles were a totally different offense after Foles took over and they didn't have all of the turnovers, injuries and boneheaded plays. Vick couldn't even make it through a game for several weeks before he was knocked out for good.

colin
01-03-2014, 12:50 PM
i'd sign vick with a quickness. he'd give us better qb play instantly. he may not last long, but he'd come for a 2 year contract, and he can do exactly what thad has done but with more scoring and yards.