PDA

View Full Version : Mid to late round OL that I think Buffalo will have high grades on

DesertFox24
01-02-2014, 01:50 PM
These are not in any particular order and are guys rated for rounds 3 or later

OT
1. Morgan Moses UVA - Very good athlete could push to start at RT
2. Cornelius Lucas KSU - Might be my favorite pick watched him against Jackson Jeffcoat and he did very well would start at RT
3. Joel Bitonio Nevada - He is not as big as the other guys but I think he could be a could Guard candidate

OG
1. Jon Halipo UF
2. Brandon Linder UM
3. Ryan Groy Wis - Great game against South Carolina and physical but not as athletic as the other two
4. Andrew Norwall OSU
5. Spencer Long Neb
6. Andrew Rodriguez

These are just a few guys that I thought fit what it looks like our front office likes for OL.

Personally I would go Lucas as a RT as I think Moses will go way earlier than 4, then follow up with a Linder or Bitonio as my guard.

stuckincincy
01-02-2014, 01:52 PM
These are not in any particular order and are guys rated for rounds 3 or later...

Thanks - I appreciate the input.

JCBills
01-03-2014, 01:18 AM
I do like Moses as an option in the mid rounds to address RT.

TigerJ
01-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Spencer Long might be a first or second day pick had he not blown out his knee early in the season. He should be healthy by the time the season starts and could be a steal.

coastal
01-03-2014, 02:50 PM
There r three holes on the oline. If we wait till the mid to late rounds to address... guess what?

we'll have three holes on the oline still.

cookie G
01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
There r three holes on the oline. If we wait till the mid to late rounds to address... guess what?

Its all well and good to take one of the later round guys with the hopes that he works out.

Just don't do it and plug him in as your starter and say "we're set at OL", as we've been doing forever.

SpikedLemonade
01-03-2014, 02:55 PM
It is the same idiotic thinking here that is shared by the Bills.

A failure to invest early round draft picks into the OL because any fat guys can play OL.

Instead draft that shutdown CB or tall WR.

Yasgur's Farm
01-03-2014, 07:09 PM

3 holes? Not 100% sure about that.
Questions to be answered yet...
1) What is Hairston's status? Maybe not an answer at RT... Then again...
2) Can Pears play G? I know this is a reach... Worth considering IMO.
3) Is Urbik better between Woods and Glenn? I think yes!

All these questions need answers before addressing draft and free agency.

coastal
01-03-2014, 07:53 PM
3 holes? Not 100% sure about that.
Questions to be answered yet...
1) What is Hairston's status? Maybe not an answer at RT... Then again...
2) Can Pears play G? I know this is a reach... Worth considering IMO.
3) Is Urbik better between Woods and Glenn? I think yes!

All these questions need answers before addressing draft and free agency.
Hairston may be a serviceable RT. Pears sucks. Urbik's role should be our swing backup interior linemen.

if I'm calling the shots... our first two picks are offensive linemen.

stop ****ing around with crap linemen and build a decent one for once.

Mace
01-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Interesting that San Diego went from giving up 4th most sacks in 2012 (49) to 4th least (30) in 2013.

I miss Joe D'Alessandris the o-line coach. Was really stupid not keeping him. Is even more stupid making a strength not a strength anymore, but who needs D'Alessandris and Levitre anyway, guards are easy to find and line coaches don't matter any.

X-Era
01-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Hairston may be a serviceable RT. Pears sucks. Urbik's role should be our swing backup interior linemen.

if I'm calling the shots... our first two picks are offensive linemen.

stop ****ing around with crap linemen and build a decent one for once.If Hairston is healthy I think he can be a very good RT and better than Pears.

But he may not be healthy.

Yasgur's Farm
01-04-2014, 08:54 AM
What is the scoop on Hairston anyway?

Albany,n.y.
01-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Interesting that San Diego went from giving up 4th most sacks in 2012 (49) to 4th least (30) in 2013.

I miss Joe D'Alessandris the o-line coach. Was really stupid not keeping him. Is even more stupid making a strength not a strength anymore, but who needs D'Alessandris and Levitre anyway, guards are easy to find and line coaches don't matter any.

I think what you've said here & similar posts about keeping assistants from a prior coaching regime miss something important-you're asking 2 guys, the new head coach and the prior regime's assistant to have a comfort level with a total stranger to each & work together with one guy being the boss, when both might feel better off associating with someone they already know and trust.
Like it or not, assistant coaching positions often come down to a form of nepotism, be it family or friends. A coach feels more comfortable working with people he already knows and hiring reflects this. Look at what happens when a new guy comes in mid-season, like Marv did in 1986. He works with the guys left over for the rest of the season, then when the season ends, he gets rid of most if not all of the guys he inherited. This is after he has had time to get to know the assistants. The guys he wants to replace are gone, regardless of their abilities. All coaching changes come with good assistants moving on for one reason or another & I bet about half the time the assistant doesn't want to be retained & work with the new boss any more than the new HC wants him around.

Albany,n.y.
01-04-2014, 09:18 AM
What is the scoop on Hairston anyway?

It's actually 3 scoops, 1 flavor each from Neapolitan. These lineman are big guys & 1 scoop just isn't enough.

Yasgur's Farm
01-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Searching for clues at https://twitter.com/C_Hairston75

24 Aug (https://twitter.com/C_Hairston7524 Aug)
I get all the hard tests of life I must be in the advanced class or something

28 Aug (https://twitter.com/C_Hairston75/status/372794196748685312)
When a situation goes from bad to worse u actually find out who cares

29 Aug (https://twitter.com/C_Hairston75/status/373052103666573312)
Thankful for my life, health, & family it's so easy to take for granted until ur faced with ur mortality

Mace
01-04-2014, 09:33 PM
I think what you've said here & similar posts about keeping assistants from a prior coaching regime miss something important-you're asking 2 guys, the new head coach and the prior regime's assistant to have a comfort level with a total stranger to each & work together with one guy being the boss, when both might feel better off associating with someone they already know and trust.
Like it or not, assistant coaching positions often come down to a form of nepotism, be it family or friends. A coach feels more comfortable working with people he already knows and hiring reflects this. Look at what happens when a new guy comes in mid-season, like Marv did in 1986. He works with the guys left over for the rest of the season, then when the season ends, he gets rid of most if not all of the guys he inherited. This is after he has had time to get to know the assistants. The guys he wants to replace are gone, regardless of their abilities. All coaching changes come with good assistants moving on for one reason or another & I bet about half the time the assistant doesn't want to be retained & work with the new boss any more than the new HC wants him around.

You are very right. Good coaches though, can appreciate strengths and not be threatened by them, they look at a situation and use resources as they can best be used without creating more problems.

Cookie/Gilchristfan once took me to school on a diff board about changing players for scheme or changing scheme for players. I was all in on changing players, but the truth was his, a good coach adapts his approach, and adjusts it for strengths and weaknesses.

A good coach doesn't really worry about being comfortable, he worries about what works, and what he doesn't need worry about. D'Alessandris used Nix's tank linemen creatively, he often had the more mobile guards pulling to tackle and the tackles folding in to guards, it worked on run and on pass. It wasn't a problem past Marrone wanting his own guy. Look at Crossman, special teams, that's Marrone's "own guy" that he likes and is comfortable with, it's not necessarily going to translate to success.

By now, I don't really care about who likes who, and if Marrone does his eye is not on the goal and he's not going to get there. Levy came in here with a rep as a conservative offensive coach and he hired Marchibroda. A successful coach, and I have no clue yet about Marrone like anyone else though I am hopeful, has to be able to see if his crony is sufficient or someone not his crony can do better.

I think my point is, a determined organization is not going to care about friends or cronies, they are going to care about what works and keep the people here that ensure it.

DesertFox24
01-06-2014, 09:42 AM
I dont think we have 3 holes to fill on the OL.

I think we need a new starting LG, and guess what you dont draft guards in round 1.

I also think we need better depth at Tackle, and a potential starter at RT. Hairston may be the option at RT and Pears will probably be cut if he does not win out. That leaves us with Welch, we need to draft a young mid round tackle to push welch and potentially be a starter in year 2 at the RT spot.

All the tackles I listed have good athletic ability and I think would do well.

Also you do not need first rounders at all OL positions to have a great OL, but you do have to draft guys with good skill sets and athletic ability.

Additionally Marrone eluded to the fact that he likes Unga, Asper, and McClain and that they might be the answer at LG next year. However, he did say depth needs to be increased. You draft depth later not earlier.

Lastly plenty of guys have become really good after bouncing around the league, yes not all pros but solid starters.

Hopefully Marrone and Whaley pick up two good OL this offseason either FA or draft and I am going to trust they know what it takes till proven otherwise.

TigerJ
01-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Searching for clues at https://twitter.com/C_Hairston75

24 Aug (https://twitter.com/C_Hairston7524 Aug)
I get all the hard tests of life I must be in the advanced class or something

28 Aug (https://twitter.com/C_Hairston75/status/372794196748685312)
When a situation goes from bad to worse u actually find out who cares

29 Aug (https://twitter.com/C_Hairston75/status/373052103666573312)
Thankful for my life, health, & family it's so easy to take for granted until ur faced with ur mortality

This does not sound hopeful with respect to Hairston's future in football. For his sake, I hope he is able to have something close to a normal life, whether or not his football career is over.