PDA

View Full Version : Sabres trade brewing with Canadiens?

DetDannyWilliams
01-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 28m
Rumblings indicate that a possible sabre/habs deal could be gathering momentum

Ginger Vitis
01-02-2014, 06:15 PM
The Canadiens need a Top 6 forward with size.. Matt Moulson? I would love it if the Sabres were to get Zach Fucale somehow. Carey Price signed a 6 year extension in July 2012 not out of the question the Habs would deal Fucale

coastal
01-02-2014, 06:35 PM
The Canadiens think they are on the verge. I highly doubt a Fucale trade, but you never know.

JATMtheJATM
01-02-2014, 06:38 PM
ive been hearing briere. he hasnt worked for montreal. maybe moulson for briere + pick?

OpIv37
01-02-2014, 06:50 PM
No. Trades. Within. The. Division.

Just ask hammer or Valerie how trading for Kessel worked out for the Leafs......

OpIv37
01-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Also the Briere ship has sailed. Letting him go at the time was a mistake, but bringing him back now with an extra 5 years of mileage on that tiny frame isn't going to rectify that mistake.

And, what do we need an aging vet for? I know we can't go with all youth, but Briere will be out of the league in two years. If we bring in a vet, it should be someone who can help steady the ship for 4-5 years.

JATMtheJATM
01-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Also the Briere ship has sailed. Letting him go at the time was a mistake, but bringing him back now with an extra 5 years of mileage on that tiny frame isn't going to rectify that mistake.

And, what do we need an aging vet for? I know we can't go with all youth, but Briere will be out of the league in two years. If we bring in a vet, it should be someone who can help steady the ship for 4-5 years.

it could be a salary dump. sabres take briere and his salary and get a pick or prospect along with it while they get moulson or something.

OpIv37
01-02-2014, 08:00 PM
it could be a salary dump. sabres take briere and his salary and get a pick or prospect along with it while they get moulson or something.

Ok but how does helping the Canadiens with their cap do us any favors?

JATMtheJATM
01-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Ok but how does helping the Canadiens with their cap do us any favors?

depends on the return. but if (IF) the habs said "give us moulson and .. i dont know, a third for briere and fucale" the sabres have to take that. if it helps montreal short term, and buffalo long term, win/win.

Downinfloflo
01-02-2014, 08:17 PM
I don't see Fucale going anywhere since he's only 18.

Price would be through the majority of his contract before he was ready for the NHL.

He will only be 23 years old in 5 years..And goalies take a bit of time.

I was hearing Max Pacioretty was not a guy the Michel Therrien really likes.Seem's crazy since he's leading the team in goals.

Sabres may be looking for some mature D-Men, Too many kid's at that position is a recipe for disaster.

And Montreal has 8 D-men on the active roster.

JATMtheJATM
01-02-2014, 08:29 PM

Price would be through the majority of his contract before he was ready for the NHL.

I was hearing Max Pacioretty was not a guy the Michel Therrien really likes.Seem's crazy since he's leading the team in goals.

Sabres may be looking for some mature D-Men, Too many kid's at that position is a recipe for disaster.

i could see pacioretty getting moved. ive heard rumblings about that too. moulson for pacioretty?

Downinfloflo
01-02-2014, 08:31 PM
i could see pacioretty getting moved. ive heard rumblings about that too. moulson for pacioretty?

Could be something along those lines.

I would not be shocked at all if the Sabres sent some of their Draft picks and Kept moulson too.

I don't think Pat want's to dick around and wait 3-5 years on a rebuild, If you can get 25 year old proven players now, For Draft picks that will take a few years to pan out if they even pan out at all.I think you do it.

And that would turn the franchise around quick.

JATMtheJATM
01-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Could be something along those lines.

I would not be shocked at all if the Sabres sent some of their Draft picks and Kept moulson too.

I don't think Pat want's to dick around and wait 3-5 years on a rebuild, If you can get 25 year old proven players now, For Draft picks that will take a few years to pan out if they even pan out at all.I think you do it.

And that would turn the franchise around quick.

possibly, but the sabres wont move their first the next two years for anything short on young, elite talent. and even then, its a stretch. and probably the isles first too. you could see a 2 for 1 trade where the sabres send moulson and ott for pacioretty. or the sabres second round pick (which would be the 30th pick, instead of the 31st)

Ginger Vitis
01-02-2014, 09:07 PM
or the sabres second round pick (which would be the 30th pick, instead of the 31st)

The Sabres have 3 2nd round picks in 2014 and 2 2nd Rounders in 2015. I wouldn't be opposed at all if some of those picks were traded for or used for compensation for a established player/players

DetDannyWilliams
01-02-2014, 09:24 PM
also keep in mind that Sabres put CoHo on IR today he's got a cast on his left wrist and thumb which was reported by Kevin Sly on Hockey Hotline this morning he hurt after blocking a shot in the Boston game here on Dec. 19th time table for Cody the Sabres are saying is 4-6 wks. tops.

JATMtheJATM
01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
The Sabres have 3 2nd round picks in 2014 and 2 2nd Rounders in 2015. I wouldn't be opposed at all if some of those picks were traded for or used for compensation for a established player/players

same here. but i wouldnt move the firsts the sabres have so far. if they got a late first from any additional trades, those could be in play. but not potential lottery picks. unless the sabres got some super young stud in return, like huberdeau.

Skooby
01-02-2014, 10:13 PM
If Fucpilsner or Cream Fucale won't work, than Fucale it may be.

clumping platelets
01-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Just say :no: to Briere

Downinfloflo
01-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Sound's like this is about Briere.

clumping platelets
01-03-2014, 12:48 AM
:down:

YankeeInRaleigh
01-03-2014, 05:17 AM
Just say no to Daniel Briere.

coastal
01-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Briere for Moulson makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

gebobs
01-03-2014, 10:25 AM
For Briere? Give up nothing. NOTHING!

JATMtheJATM
01-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Briere for Moulson makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

it does if briere is just a dump and a first or prospect comes back with him.

SkateZilla
01-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Briere would be a Temp.

Fill Center void with Hodgson out with broken wrist.

When CoHo is back, trade away.

Downinfloflo
01-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Briere has a $4m dollar cap hit for next season as well.

He's 36 and has 10 points and a concussion this season.

This would be a salary dump for Montreal.

OpIv37
01-03-2014, 12:47 PM
It could also be a salary boost for the Sabres. Once Miller is gone, the only significant contract we has is Leino. The Sabres have to pay some people to hit the cap floor.

SkateZilla
01-03-2014, 12:49 PM
It could also be a salary boost for the Sabres. Once Miller is gone, the only significant contract we has is Leino. The Sabres have to pay some people to hit the cap floor.

Stafford

OpIv37
01-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Stafford
Oh right- he's so insignificant that I tend to forget he exists.

JATMtheJATM
01-03-2014, 03:00 PM
myers and coho also have large deals. leino, from what im hearing, will also be bought out this summer.

swiper
01-03-2014, 04:37 PM

This.

And please. Somebody stick a fork in Briere. He's done. Everyone knows it. It's not 2006 any more.

JATMtheJATM
01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
This.

And please. Somebody stick a fork in Briere. He's done. Everyone knows it. It's not 2006 any more.

absolutely hes not what he used to be. not even CLOSE. but i think everyones sorta missing the point why montreal would trade briere to buffalo. buffalo wouldnt be getting him to help the team, really. it would be a salary dump and roster spot dump by montreal, and buffalo would probably take something of value along with briere. its not like buffalo would be trading for him to improve the team (though, i suspect his leadership could help younger guys.)

JATMtheJATM
01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
as for pacioretty, yes please. hes established, and young enough to be a long term addition, but wont cost lottery picks. if montreal is willing to part with him for moulson and say a second, id do it.

also, hearing the pens might be interested in moulson. grain of salt.

coastal
01-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Oh right- he's so insignificant that I tend to forget he exists.
I think he's actually played better under Nolan.

Rockstar
01-03-2014, 08:58 PM

I'm literally walking out the door to bartend downtown, but I totally agree with everything you said.......... EXCEPT I would totally trade for Briere. ( I know makes no sense)
**** it why not??!! This season is lost and I'm still enjoying it. Seriously. I love the effort most these guys put in everynight, I love Ted Nolan, I was always behind Miller and I guarantee Briere would be our top goal scorer until he got injured by some ******* that knew he was the only guy on the team who could score.
All that said means I agree with your logic and trading for him is foolhardy.. But I would ***** do it.

Rockstar
01-03-2014, 09:00 PM
For Briere? Give up nothing. NOTHING!

How about Leino? :)

clumping platelets
01-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Pacioretty would be a great addition

Cleve
01-04-2014, 08:13 AM
What would the Sabres gain from such a move? Other than pleasing some fans? I hated it when the Sabres let Briere and Drury go - but now almost seven years later, Briere is too old to be of use, sadly. It's just too bad that Darcy Regier wasn't shown the door at the time Briere and Drury left.

JATMtheJATM
01-04-2014, 11:22 AM
did you read the other posts in this thread? the purpose is already explained.

THATHURMANATOR
01-04-2014, 11:55 AM
I would take Briere back if it was for basically nothing.

Trading Moulson for Briere would be idiotic.

JATMtheJATM
01-04-2014, 12:13 PM
I would take Briere back if it was for basically nothing.

Trading Moulson for Briere would be idiotic.

*hits head on desk*

a moulson for briere trade would not feature briere as the centerpiece of the return. a high pick, prospect, or even established player like pacioretty would be included with briere.

Downinfloflo
01-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Sabres won't get Pacioretty unless a 1st rd pick is in play.

He's 25 and a proven NHL goal scorer, He has more value then a top 5 pick does.,Sabres would have to part with one their 1st or the Piles just to start.

Moulson has low value at the moment since he is a UFA.

JATMtheJATM
01-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Sabres won't get Pacioretty unless a 1st rd pick is in play.

He's 25 and a proven NHL goal scorer, He has more value then a top 5 pick does.,Sabres would have to part with one their 1st or the Piles just to start.

Moulson has low value at the moment since he is a UFA.

he does not have more value then a potential lottery pick. picks have tons of value. moulson himself is worth a late first. heck, ott could be too.

moulson + a second or 2 seconds could be enough to get pacioretty, if they want to move him.

Downinfloflo
01-04-2014, 04:37 PM
he does not have more value then a potential lottery pick. picks have tons of value. moulson himself is worth a late first. heck, ott could be too.

moulson + a second or 2 seconds could be enough to get pacioretty, if they want to move him.

No 1st...No max, Draft picks are players who 'MIGHT' pan out, Max is a player that is 'PROVEN'.

Taylor Pyatt was selected 8th over all, Brian Boyle was taken 22nd Benoit Pouliot was taken 4th overall...See what I'm saying?

JATMtheJATM
01-04-2014, 06:49 PM
of course some picks miss. thats nothing new. but the sabres would be dumb to move a potential lottery pick for pacioretty. pacioretty is a good player. certainly not worth trading a potential lottery pick.

Downinfloflo
01-04-2014, 07:02 PM
of course some picks miss. thats nothing new. but the sabres would be dumb to move a potential lottery pick for pacioretty. pacioretty is a good player. certainly not worth trading a potential lottery pick.

He's a 30 goal scorer..If that's not worth it, Nothing is.

JATMtheJATM
01-04-2014, 07:07 PM
giving up a potential franchise player for a 30 goal scorer? if montreal asked for a 12-15 overall pick, sure. decent trade. but lottery? no way.

Downinfloflo
01-04-2014, 07:18 PM
giving up a potential franchise player for a 30 goal scorer? if montreal asked for a 12-15 overall pick, sure. decent trade. but lottery? no way.

How many goals does a franchise player usually score?

JATMtheJATM
01-04-2014, 07:41 PM
How many goals does a franchise player usually score?

its not necessarily about offensive production, though i do expect reinhart to be near a point per game. what makes reinhart special is hes one of those two way guys (apparently, hes very good in his own end) with off the charts hockey smarts and leadership qualities. ive heard several comparisons to jonathon toews. so, you tell me: would you trade a potential toews like player within your division for a good scorer?

i dont think theres a single GM who would trade buffalos pick for a pacioretty. toews or kane? maybe.

is it possible reinhart misses? sure. but a team this bad doesnt trade away its first for anything less then an elite talent. pacioretty, while very good, doesnt qualify.

coastal
01-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Top overall pick for Pac? No.

5th overall pick... this year I think about it long and hard.

JATMtheJATM
01-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Top overall pick for Pac? No.

5th overall pick... this year I think about it long and hard.

and where the sabres are in the standings, itll be a top 2 pick. you can only lose 1 spot in the draft if another team wins the lottery.

coastal
01-04-2014, 08:29 PM
and where the sabres are in the standings, itll be a top 2 pick. you can only lose 1 spot in the draft if another team wins the lottery.i know this.

im just giving my opinion on the trade value discussion.

JATMtheJATM
01-04-2014, 08:38 PM
i know this.

im just giving my opinion on the trade value discussion.
absolutely. as it stands now though, i dont make that move. i dont think anyone does. isles lost again tonight. hmm..

Skooby
01-04-2014, 10:31 PM
We're going to go on a second half run & mess up our #1 spot, it's just the way it is.

SkateZilla
01-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Screw that, Keep our Lottery Pick, and finish the season and use it. That way we only have 5 or 6 more seasons of sucking and getting top 3 picks to re-build with.

Doin' shiz the Pittsburgh Way.

Downinfloflo
01-04-2014, 11:40 PM
I don't think this draft has a "Franchise" player.

Pretty unlucky year to be so close to the top.

Downinfloflo
01-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Screw that, Keep our Lottery Pick, and finish the season and use it. That way we only have 5 or 6 more seasons of sucking and getting top 3 picks to re-build with.

Doin' shiz the Pittsburgh Way.

And the Edmonton Oiler's and Florida Panther's way...

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 01:22 AM
I don't think this draft has a "Franchise" player.

Pretty unlucky year to be so close to the top.

the fact that toews and reinhart are mentioned in the same sentence at all is worth the low risk. at worst, they get a first line player. the first or second overall is not worth pacioretty. if pacioretty was 22 or something, maybe. but hes in his prime and by the time buffalo starts to come out of the rebuild, he will be 28-29 and probably looking to hit the market (im unsure of his contract)

now, if montreal called and offered galyenchuk for the first, absolutely.

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 01:23 AM
And the Edmonton Oiler's and Florida Panther's way...

you keep focusing on those two teams who have missed with the rebuild, but ignore chicago, st louis, pittsburgh, ect that have had rebuilds work. its not like this is a high risk rebuild.

Downinfloflo
01-05-2014, 01:48 AM
you keep focusing on those two teams who have missed with the rebuild, but ignore chicago, st louis, pittsburgh, ect that have had rebuilds work. its not like this is a high risk rebuild.

I don't put them in with the Sabres rebuild because they also had 'ESTABLISHED' nhl talent to go along with their picks.

They also made moves to bring in even more 'ETABLISHED' nhl talent...The Sabres do not have the talent..

Your #1 center can't play defense.

Your #1 D-man lost his game,

Your #1 goalie is going bye-bye.

Your #1 winger is going to be a UFA and doubtful he resigns, You even want to move him (Moulson)..

Once Ryan Miller is gone, My god is it going to be bad for Buffalo..Not for him this Sabres team could well be the worst NHL team we have seen in 25 years.

If you think your going to DRAFT your way out of this DISASTER, Your strait up buggin....

50% of all the Sabres picks will NOT pan out...That's just reality.

Downinfloflo
01-05-2014, 01:50 AM
the fact that toews and reinhart are mentioned in the same sentence at all is worth the low risk. at worst, they get a first line player. the first or second overall is not worth pacioretty. if pacioretty was 22 or something, maybe. but hes in his prime and by the time buffalo starts to come out of the rebuild, he will be 28-29 and probably looking to hit the market (im unsure of his contract)

now, if montreal called and offered galyenchuk for the first, absolutely.

I could care less if Reinhart was mentioned in the same sentence as the baby Jesus.It means NOTHING.

Downinfloflo
01-05-2014, 02:18 AM
Out of the Penguins top 5 goal scorers, 3 of them were brought in by trade or free agency.

Out of the Blackhawks top 5 goal scorers, Thier #1 and #3 goal scorers were brought in by trade or free agency.

Out of the Blues top 5 goal scorers, Their #1 goal scorer was brought in by trade as was their #5 goal scorer.

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 10:26 AM
yeah, and? those teams also didnt trade lottery picks away in their worst years. they held on to them and drafted. they used lower picks and other players to acquire those players. which is something ive advocated for.

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 10:28 AM
I could care less if Reinhart was mentioned in the same sentence as the baby Jesus.It means NOTHING.

it absolutely means something. pacioretty isnt worth a potential top 2 draft pick. the sabres would be giving away a young cornerstone for a player in his prime while the rest of the team is in dire need of fixing. if those picks meant nothing, teams would be trading them away. but they dont.

JATMtheJATM
01-05-2014, 10:32 AM
I don't put them in with the Sabres rebuild because they also had 'ESTABLISHED' nhl talent to go along with their picks.

They also made moves to bring in even more 'ETABLISHED' nhl talent...The Sabres do not have the talent..

Your #1 center can't play defense.

Your #1 D-man lost his game,

Your #1 goalie is going bye-bye.

Your #1 winger is going to be a UFA and doubtful he resigns, You even want to move him (Moulson)..

Once Ryan Miller is gone, My god is it going to be bad for Buffalo..Not for him this Sabres team could well be the worst NHL team we have seen in 25 years.

If you think your going to DRAFT your way out of this DISASTER, Your strait up buggin....

50% of all the Sabres picks will NOT pan out...That's just reality.

who was the established NHL talent on chicago and pittsburgh? looking at pittsburgh, the only established NHL talent that rode out most of the rebuild with them was an aging mario. and he didnt make it through.

the draft is but one facet of a rebuild. with the sabres being the worst team in the league right now, its also the most important. no one said the sabres shouldnt make trades. no one said the sabres shouldnt sign free agents. the only thing thats really off limits are buffalos first this year and next, and new yorks first. and second round picks hold plenty of value, so they can get established players for those picks. and of course some picks dont pan out. do i really think the sabres are going to miss on reinhart or ekblad? no.

you seem to think my refusal to trade the sabres lottery picks means i only want to build through the draft when thats absolutely not true.

and lets say the sabres did decide to trade their first overall. they could get a much better player then pacioretty.