PDA

View Full Version : Lamarr Woodley

ghz in pittsburgh
01-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Very likely to be released from the Steelers. I believe Whaley was credited with scouting and helping the Steelers pick him in 2007.

The guy starred vey quickly from 2007 to his best year 2010. Made pro ball, too. But after a rich contract extension, he's in steady decline since. He would be a better version of Manny Lawson though.

Just remember his tie to Whaley.

BillsFever21
01-02-2014, 06:45 PM
For the right price on a shorter term deal I would take him as a pass rushing OLB. He is still young and maybe we could get a good season or two out of him. We're not very good at pass rushing from our LB position.

I met him as a rookie during a Steelers VIP session during training camp. I had field passes since my friend worked in the media covering the Steelers at the time. He wasn't a dick like Santonio Holmes was when it was mandatory for them to meet the VIP's and sign autographs and give interviews, etc.

YardRat
01-02-2014, 06:55 PM
I would rather get a MLB and kick Kiko outside.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-02-2014, 07:22 PM
I actually believe Jason Worilds is worth gambling on who is going to be a FA. But the Steelers are likely to resign him and cut Woodley.

Downinfloflo
01-02-2014, 08:42 PM

I don't know about that, He could add a few pounds to his frame tho.

Don't fix something that's not broken.

YardRat
01-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I don't know about that, He could add a few pounds to his frame tho.

Don't fix something that's not broken.

If he can add enough ass to engage blockers, fine, but if he can't that is part of our run D that is broken.

jimmifli
01-02-2014, 09:35 PM
If he can add enough ass to engage blockers, fine, but if he can't that is part of our run D that is broken.
I said in a thread a few months ago about how Kiko manages to mostly evade blockers completely. It's pretty remarkable and likely something he's learned to do because of his size and speed. The downside of that, is that when he guesses wrong or does get engaged he's completely removed from the play. Put a "Fred Jackson" type (extremely productive even though his 40 time and combine numbers suck) MLB in that spot and Kiko can protect him with his speed. Then runs that get through the line become 5-6 yard pickups instead of the 20+ rip that happens now.

I'd also like to see a real pass rushing LB added. Right now, when the LB blitzes the Oline is forced to go single team on the Dline or leave a RB heads up against the blitzer. With Lawson it seems teams would rather keep the double inside and hope the RB can slow him down. A better pass rushing LB would force teams to keep in even more blockers, or go single team on our whole Dline. Either situation seem like a win for us.

WagonCircler
01-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Wasn't he a character in Blazing Saddles?

Wait---that was Hedley Lamar.

Mouldsie
01-02-2014, 11:33 PM

We need a Brandon Spikes clone, they don't make many of them though.

Desmond Bishop was always a thumper even if he's not as big, I'd bring him in for a look if he becomes available again.

Meathead
01-03-2014, 12:26 AM
wasnt he a quarterback for the miami dolphins?

wait---that was david woodley

GingerP
01-03-2014, 04:37 AM
We need a Brandon Spikes clone, they don't make many of them though.

Desmond Bishop was always a thumper even if he's not as big, I'd bring him in for a look if he becomes available again.

Spikes is actually due to hit FA, so if they don't sign him before March he will be available. Bishop is due to be a FA as well, but he blew his ACL in October. That means he is likely not going to sign anywhere until he can work out again. He may be an option come summer, but unlikely to be earlier.