X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyGold
    • Dec 2008

NFL to consider reseeding playoffs purely by record

Although the Saints and 49ers have superior records, both teams are playing on the road. Is change coming? The NFL says it's considering reseeding the playoffs.

What's the consensus of billszone.com to this one?

I say it's an awful idea--if you want to host a playoff game, win your division, it's as simple as that.
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Re: NFL to consider reseeding playoffs purely by record

I'd be ok with that. It makes more sense for the better team to get the advantage of home field. With only 4 teams per division, it's not that hard for an entire division to suck. And if the two best teams happen to be in the same division, I don't see why the second best team should get penalized and a crap team get rewarded.

I don't feel that strongly either way though. Probably because my team is irrelevant and never makes the playoffs, so this won't ever effect them either way.

Comment

• Thurmal
      • Oct 2005

Division winners always need to make the playoffs. But if you win a bad division with 8 wins, you shouldn't get to host a playoff game against a team that came in 2nd in a great division with 12 wins.
      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Buffalogic
        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
        • Feb 2006

Yeah, either way is fine by me. Not that big of a deal in my eyes.

Comment

• Gibby
          • Jun 2006

I've long been a fan of redoing the way playoff rankings are done. Yes, if you win your division, you should get in. However, if a wildcard team has a better record than you, then you should have to play them on the road.

Comment

• imbondz
            Democrats are people too
            • Jan 2003

I hate it. The Chiefs this year are the 5th / 6th best team. They'd be reseeded to 3rd but couldn't beat Denver either time.

Winning division should count for a higher seed.
            My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
              • Jun 2005

Love it. Needs to be like the NHL IMO

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                I hate it. The Chiefs this year are the 5th / 6th best team. They'd be reseeded to 3rd but couldn't beat Denver either time.

Winning division should count for a higher seed.
                But they would still be seeded behind Denver...
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

2 divisions, play every team in division once, every team plays one game outside of division. Best records in each division get into playoffs.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

If they would have done this 14 ****ing years ago, then the Music City Mirage would have been played in Buffalo and Tennessee never would have got that bull**** hometown call. We were 11-5 that year, they were 9-7.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Thurmal
                      • Oct 2005

The Titans were like 12-4 or 13-3 that year, though.

That call was bull**** though. As were the calls at the end of the first half when Peerless Price caught a ball at the one and was inexplicably ruled out of bounds, and when Del Greco was allowed to re-try a missed kick from 15 closer b/c Gabe Northern was called for unsportsmanlike defensive holding on a freaking kick.

League was definitely trying to push the new franchise through to sell tickets and new uniforms.
                      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Seems to me that such a change would diminish the special value you get by beating a division opponent. You would think less about "tailoring" your team to play best against your division rival's strengths.

In fact, the NFL just went to more division games being scheduled later in the season, to spur competition, and to combat the behavior of clubs to more or less dump the last few games in their season if they have their division sewed up. IND comes to mind. Folks that went to a late IND game got to watch the bench, not Manning and the starters.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
                          The Titans were like 12-4 or 13-3 that year, though.

That call was bull**** though. As were the calls at the end of the first half when Peerless Price caught a ball at the one and was inexplicably ruled out of bounds, and when Del Greco was allowed to re-try a missed kick from 15 closer b/c Gabe Northern was called for unsportsmanlike defensive holding on a freaking kick.

League was definitely trying to push the new franchise through to sell tickets and new uniforms.
                          I stand corrected- I don't know why I thought they were only 9-7 that year.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Non-conference games would then play too large of a role in the playoff format, which is unfair to me. Why should a wildcard with an 11-5 record, helped by being 4-0 against a ****ty NFC East division (but 7-5 within their own conference), get home field advantage over a division winner with a 10-6 record that played against tougher NFC West teams and went 1-3 (9-3 conference record)? Unless, of course, you completely revamp the entire structure as TDummy suggests.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              Non-conference games would then play too large of a role in the playoff format, which is unfair to me. Why should a wildcard with an 11-5 record, helped by being 4-0 against a ****ty NFC East division (but 7-5 within their own conference), get home field advantage over a division winner with a 10-6 record that played against tougher NFC West teams and went 1-3 (9-3 conference record)? Unless, of course, you completely revamp the entire structure as TDummy suggests.
                              Well why should SF- who won 12 games in a division with 3 10+ win teams- have to go on the road to play Green Bay, who won their piss-poor division on a mere 8 wins?

Hell, a few years ago, Seattle got to host a playoff game with a LOSING 7-9 record. That's crap.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X