PDA

View Full Version : Mike Evans? Heck No, Sammy Watkins? Heck yes

Raptor
01-03-2014, 08:34 PM
I mean it's not even close, Watkins is getting doubled and tripled and killing it and Mike Evans can barely get separation. If we are taking a WR in the first it's Watkins or nobody

Skooby
01-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Are you on the BBMB as well with this ?

X-Era
01-03-2014, 08:40 PM
I think there is little chance he will be there at 9. If he is, he should be the pick.

tomz
01-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Very impressive play by Watkins. He has half decent size as well.

X-Era
01-03-2014, 09:08 PM
I mean it's not even close, Watkins is getting doubled and tripled and killing it and Mike Evans can barely get separation. If we are taking a WR in the first it's Watkins or nobodyI'm not as big a fan of Evans as some are. But, don't sleep on Marqise Lee and Donte Moncrief... Especially Moncrief.

TacklingDummy
01-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Just say no to midget wide revivers.
This isn't the 1980s Fun Bunch Redskins wide reciver league anymore.

X-Era
01-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Midget?

Watkins is 6' 0" 1/2 and 205 lbs.

Skooby
01-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Midget?

A shot caller.

X-Era
01-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Watkins, with 800+ yards after the catch this year is ideal for an up tempo, quick throw to shorter routes game.

Right now, I think he's in play at 2 to STL, 3 to Oak, and 7 to TB.

I think if he gets by Oak, you would probably have to move to 6 to get him. 3 spots for us.

kingJofNYC
01-04-2014, 12:27 AM
Watkins is a beast, unfortunately for us he's going to be gone by 9.

And Sammy Watkins may not be "big" but he plays big. Tough as nails, will run around you or through you, loves contact, he's no softy. Would love him on this, unfortunately he won't be there. One can hope though...

Mouldsie
01-04-2014, 01:16 AM
James Hardy > DeSean Jackson

coastal
01-04-2014, 02:39 AM
No way Watkins is there. He's a top 3 talent.

ICRockets
01-04-2014, 03:18 AM
Why do idiots around here continue to act like you're not allowed to like more than one prospect at a time? I'd love either Evans or Watkins. I see Watkins as a Mike Wallace type, who would indeed fit well in an up-tempo offense like ours. But I prefer Andre Johnson 2.0, Mike Evans. Would I be angry at the Bills FO for taking one over the other if both are available? Abso-****ing-lutely not.

stuckincincy
01-04-2014, 07:02 AM
I mean it's not even close, Watkins is getting doubled and tripled and killing it and Mike Evans can barely get separation. If we are taking a WR in the first it's Watkins or nobody

That's a big if...

NFL Team Opponent Rushing Yards per Game

2013 #28 BUF
2012 #31 BUF
2011 #28 BUF
2010 #32 BUF
2009 #30 BUF.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-rushing-yards-per-game

swiper
01-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Midget?

That's big enough for me!

TacklingDummy
01-04-2014, 08:14 AM
Midget?

I want a Big Receiver like one of these.

Calvin Johnson 6'5"
Josh Gordon 6'3"
Demaryius Thomas 6'3"
AJ Green 6'4"
Jimmy Graham 6'7"
Vernon Davis 6'3"
Eric Decker 6'3"
Larry Fitzgerald 6'3"
Brandon Marshall 6'4"
Andre Johnson 6'3"
Jordy Nelson 6'3"
Alshon Jeffery 6'3"
Vincent Jackson 6'5

14 of the top 20 in receiving Touchdowns are 6'3" or taller.
20 of the top 30 are 6'3 or taller. 2 of -6'3" are running backs.

justasportsfan
01-04-2014, 08:19 AM

The irony. You need to get rid of your Flutie-midget/mullet posters in your bedroom and bathroom.

X-Era
01-04-2014, 08:20 AM

Calvin Johnson 6'5"
Josh Gordon 6'3"
Demaryius Thomas 6'3"
AJ Green 6'4"
Jimmy Graham 6'7"
Vernon Davis 6'3"
Dez Bryant 6'2"
Eric Decker 6'3"
Larry Fitzgerald 6'3"
Brandon Marshall 6'4"
Andre Johnson 6'3"
Jordy Nelson 6'3"
Alshon Jeffery 6'3"
Vincent Jackson 6'5

20 of the top 30 are 6'3 or taller. 2 of -6'3" are running backs.For me I think Watkins and Lee are tall enough and add bigger playmaking potential.

I'm not stuck on any particular prospect. I just think Watkins and Lee are the top 2 guys.

You and I both would like to have a possession receiver and I agree that neither Watkins nor Lee are really that. But Watkins is certainly rugged and is so explosive with the ball in his hands that he would be too good to pass up.

Personally, I like Moncrief who has the best blend of size, tenacity, and speed. He's 6' 3" 226 and runs a reported 4.48. He fights for the ball and is deceptively elusive in the open field. Probably can get him with our 2nd roounder.

Scumbag College
01-04-2014, 08:25 AM
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=WR&y=2014

Just looking at a quick list of free agent receivers, there are going to be some good veteran, bigger WRs on the market. We already have enough young receivers, I would like a big veteran to add to the mix. Plus, I think that the Bills have already invested enough picks on WRs the past two years and need to really get some help at LB or OL.

justasportsfan
01-04-2014, 08:33 AM

Calvin Johnson 6'5"
Josh Gordon 6'3"
Demaryius Thomas 6'3"
AJ Green 6'4"
Jimmy Graham 6'7"
Vernon Davis 6'3"
Eric Decker 6'3"
Larry Fitzgerald 6'3"
Brandon Marshall 6'4"
Andre Johnson 6'3"
Jordy Nelson 6'3"
Alshon Jeffery 6'3"
Vincent Jackson 6'5

it's harder for tall receivers to bend over and catch throws thrown to their knees by Ej

tampabay25690
01-04-2014, 08:52 AM

I like Sammy Watkins a lot
I knew this was coming because everyone saw him play last nite.
Remember Ohio at defense is putrid...
But I would draft him no doubt.... Mike Evans is a hell of a player as well..

DraftBoy
01-04-2014, 08:54 AM
I think Watkins could still be there at 10. I don't think he's going Top 5. Not with QB's OT's and Clowney all available.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2014, 09:29 AM
it's harder for tall receivers to bend over and catch throws thrown to their knees by Ej

:lol:

TacklingDummy
01-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Personally, I like Moncrief who has the best blend of size, tenacity, and speed. He's 6' 3" 226 and runs a reported 4.48. He fights for the ball and is deceptively elusive in the open field. Probably can get him with our 2nd roounder.
Walters football has Moncrief going in the 3rd round to Denver. Talk about a WR Dream.
In Denver he could be a star because who's throwing to him, in Buffalo he could look like a bust because of who's throwing to him.

better days
01-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Well, I think it would be stupid to waste a 1st or 2nd rnd pick on a WR.

OL & LB that is what those first two picks SHOULD be used for.

If a hidden gem at WR is there in the 4th or 5th, great grab one then.

The last buffalo fan
01-04-2014, 11:58 AM
I think Watkins could still be there at 10. I don't think he's going Top 5. Not with QB's OT's and Clowney all available.

Can you give us your top 10 picks for this year's draft?

TacklingDummy
01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Going by the 100 or so Mock Drafts I've looked at, I think the only sure locks in the top 10 are...no particular order.

1. Clowney
2. Matthews
3. Bridgewater
4. Bortles
5. Barr

Those 5 are almost in every Mock Drafts Top 10.

The last buffalo fan
01-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Going by the 100 or so Mock Drafts I've looked at, I think the only sure locks in the top 10 are...no particular order.

1. Clowney
2. Matthews
3. Bridgewater
4. Bortles
5. Barr

Those 5 are almost in every Mock Drafts Top 10.

Gracias, Compadre! Then I guess we have a shot at this two guys, Watkins and Evans. I really would love this, but I'm torn in our brilliant minds selecting WR, OLB or DT. We need the ****ing playoffs in a really bad way!

ICRockets
01-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Gracias, Compadre! Then I guess we have a shot at this two guys, Watkins and Evans. I really would love this, but I'm torn in our brilliant minds selecting WR, OLB or DT. We need the ****ing playoffs in a really bad way!

Why the **** would we draft DT when we have Dareus and Kyle?

IlluminatusUIUC
01-04-2014, 01:19 PM

This defense might benefit from a true nose tackle if we're going to have smaller backers like Alonso behind them.

Raptor
01-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Why do idiots around here continue to act like you're not allowed to like more than one prospect at a time? I'd love either Evans or Watkins. I see Watkins as a Mike Wallace type, who would indeed fit well in an up-tempo offense like ours. But I prefer Andre Johnson 2.0, Mike Evans. Would I be angry at the Bills FO for taking one over the other if both are available? Abso-****ing-lutely not.

because if you think Watkins is Wallace and Evans is A.Johnson you really don't understand what you're watching

- - - Updated - - -

Are you on the BBMB as well with this ?

Yea, I like screwing around with the posters on there because they have the least amount of football knowledge of any of the sites...and it's not close

Raptor
01-04-2014, 01:24 PM

Calvin Johnson 6'5"
Josh Gordon 6'3"
Demaryius Thomas 6'3"
AJ Green 6'4"
Jimmy Graham 6'7"
Vernon Davis 6'3"
Eric Decker 6'3"
Larry Fitzgerald 6'3"
Brandon Marshall 6'4"
Andre Johnson 6'3"
Jordy Nelson 6'3"
Alshon Jeffery 6'3"
Vincent Jackson 6'5

i want a talented WR, not an overrated one like Evans. Far to many of his receptions are from broken plays, he's a horrible route runner

SpikedLemonade
01-04-2014, 01:47 PM
All I want to see for our first 2 rounds is OL.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Figured this thread would come after Watkins monster effort vs Ohio State.

Try to remember however that Ohio State's best corner, Bradley Roby, was out due to injury and Watkins was going against a sophomore corner.

Raptor
01-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Figured this thread would come after Watkins monster effort vs Ohio State.

Try to remember however that Ohio State's best corner, Bradley Roby, was out due to injury and Watkins was going against a sophomore corner.

He's been doing it for 3 years, it didn't just start last night....

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-04-2014, 04:04 PM
i'm down for one of these two as well..
so long as they are also good at pass protection, run blocking and run stuffing

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-04-2014, 04:07 PM
it may sound crazy but don't be surprised if the bills go RB sometime this draft (not first or second round) because Freddie ain't getting any younger (as much as I love him) and CJ (if i'm not mistaken) is nearing the end of his rookie contract with the opt out clause being available after next season

ICRockets
01-04-2014, 04:23 PM
it may sound crazy but don't be surprised if the bills go RB sometime this draft (not first or second round) because Freddie ain't getting any younger (as much as I love him) and CJ (if i'm not mistaken) is nearing the end of his rookie contract with the opt out clause being available after next season

I would like to see Jerome Smith in the 4th or 5th round. He'd be a great 3rd back for this offense, and it'd be pretty easy for him to pick it up since he already is familiar with Doug, Nate, and Tyrone.

The Jokeman
01-04-2014, 05:24 PM
For me I think Watkins and Lee are tall enough and add bigger playmaking potential.

I'm not stuck on any particular prospect. I just think Watkins and Lee are the top 2 guys.

You and I both would like to have a possession receiver and I agree that neither Watkins nor Lee are really that. But Watkins is certainly rugged and is so explosive with the ball in his hands that he would be too good to pass up.

1 5 5 Justin Blackmon Jaguars Oklahoma State
2 1 13 13 Michael Floyd Cardinals Notre Dame
3 1 20 20 Kendall Wright Titans Baylor
4 1 30 30 A.J. Jenkins 49ers Illinois
===============================
1 8 8 Tavon Austin Rams West Virginia
2 1 27 27 DeAndre Hopkins Texans Clemson
3 1 29 29 Cordarrelle Patterson Vikings Tennessee

That's a list of WR who have all been taken in the 1st Round in the last two drafts. Why do I bring them up? As if we're looking for an impact as a rookie we might want to look another way. I don't disagree we need a WR put honestly most rookie WRs don't make impacts that we're all seeking. I say this and I was as big a fan as anyone on this last offseason calling for us to grab Cordarrelle Patterson last year. Honestly if you look at impact I think a LB could make the biggest impact as a rookie to help the Bills and I'd be looking for a veteran WR as think Robert Woods showed some good things as a rookie and think him, Stevie and veteran like James Jones could be as good as a tight WR 1-3 combo as you can find. As everyone feels the Bills need to find a red zone/outside target and to me this is the perfect role for Jones.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=WR&y=2014

Just looking at a quick list of free agent receivers, there are going to be some good veteran, bigger WRs on the market. We already have enough young receivers, I would like a big veteran to add to the mix. Plus, I think that the Bills have already invested enough picks on WRs the past two years and need to really get some help at LB or OL.

I agree with you. James Jones to me is an ideal WR for the Bills. A guy like Anquan Boldin and Eric Decker might also be worth pursuing but think they'd cost to much. Another name I'd consider but don't trust is Kenny Britt. Jeremy Maclin and Hakeem Nicks are also guys you could look at but each might be looking for big time money but are injury risks. To me a veteran WR just makes more sense to me than a rookie.

The Jokeman
01-04-2014, 05:25 PM
All I want to see for our first 2 rounds is OL.

I'd prefer a LB like Mack or Mosley in Round 1 and then use 2nd and 3rd Round picks on O-linemen assuming we find a veteran WR, TE and nickel CB in free agency.

X-Era
01-04-2014, 07:42 PM
1 5 5 Justin Blackmon Jaguars Oklahoma State
2 1 13 13 Michael Floyd Cardinals Notre Dame
3 1 20 20 Kendall Wright Titans Baylor
4 1 30 30 A.J. Jenkins 49ers Illinois
===============================
1 8 8 Tavon Austin Rams West Virginia
2 1 27 27 DeAndre Hopkins Texans Clemson
3 1 29 29 Cordarrelle Patterson Vikings Tennessee

That's a list of WR who have all been taken in the 1st Round in the last two drafts. Why do I bring them up? As if we're looking for an impact as a rookie we might want to look another way. I don't disagree we need a WR put honestly most rookie WRs don't make impacts that we're all seeking. I say this and I was as big a fan as anyone on this last offseason calling for us to grab Cordarrelle Patterson last year. Honestly if you look at impact I think a LB could make the biggest impact as a rookie to help the Bills and I'd be looking for a veteran WR as think Robert Woods showed some good things as a rookie and think him, Stevie and veteran like James Jones could be as good as a tight WR 1-3 combo as you can find. As everyone feels the Bills need to find a red zone/outside target and to me this is the perfect role for Jones.

I agree with you. James Jones to me is an ideal WR for the Bills. A guy like Anquan Boldin and Eric Decker might also be worth pursuing but think they'd cost to much. Another name I'd consider but don't trust is Kenny Britt. Jeremy Maclin and Hakeem Nicks are also guys you could look at but each might be looking for big time money but are injury risks. To me a veteran WR just makes more sense to me than a rookie.
You want to use the past two years for data? WR's can take a few years to develop. That's typical.

That really doesn't persuade me. Some of the best WR's in the league were first rounders. Using this logic, you should never draft one in the first round.

Sorry man, I disagree.

Not a big Mosley fan... He's way more like Sheppard than he is like Willis to me.

Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
Demaryius Thomas
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Larry Fitzgerald

All 1st rounders

Jordy Nelson
Desean Jackson
Josh Gordon- Round 2 suppl
Alshon Jeffery

2nd rounders

Pierre Gracon and Antonio Brown are the only two in the top 10 in receiving yards this year that weren't 1st or 2nd rounders.

Night Train
01-04-2014, 08:08 PM
We are all savy scouts...watch how players perform in one game.

Somewhere, Rob Johnson is laughing.

X-Era
01-04-2014, 09:47 PM
We are all savy scouts...watch how players perform in one game.

Somewhere, Rob Johnson is laughing.
Interesting...

Yet Rob Johnson was traded for... not drafted.

Mouldsie
01-05-2014, 01:03 AM
I disagree with your evaluation

BertSquirtgum
01-05-2014, 01:11 AM
Midget?

So, he is 6'0 then. The Bills need a big target. They already have robert woods.

coastal
01-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Not a big Mosley fan... He's way more like Sheppard than he is like Willis to me.thats just hyperbole.

nothing about mosley's game parallels Sheps.

He he one hell of a linebacker.

my only concern regarding him and why I remove a first round grade on him is the injury history.

DraftBoy
01-05-2014, 08:44 AM

I'm just really guessing because I don't follow the draft the way I used to but I'd say;
Bridgewater
Manziel
Bortles
Watkins
Matthews
Lewan
Clowney
Barr
Mack

Are Top 10 guys in some order. Watch for Greg Robinson (Auburn), or Mike Evans (Texas A&M) to potentially round out that group.

DraftBoy
01-05-2014, 08:48 AM
thats just hyperbole.

nothing about mosley's game parallels Sheps.

He he one hell of a linebacker.

my only concern regarding him and why I remove a first round grade on him is the injury history.

I like Mosley a lot, and in this D he's a good fit. Wouldn't want him in a 43 alignment though.

- - - Updated - - -

Need a plugger at NT and Kyle Williams isn't a spring chicken.

DraftBoy
01-05-2014, 08:51 AM
He's been doing it for 3 years, it didn't just start last night....

Yes but the point is a larger one, how has Watkins faired against the best competition?

Against FSU this year he had 8 catches for 68 yards and a TD, against South Carolina it was 7 catches for 93 yards and no TD's. Those were by far the two best D's he saw all year.

In 2012 the numbers are far worse but he was also hurt so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

The Jokeman
01-05-2014, 09:09 AM
You want to use the past two years for data? WR's can take a few years to develop. That's typical.

That really doesn't persuade me. Some of the best WR's in the league were first rounders. Using this logic, you should never draft one in the first round.

Sorry man, I disagree.

Not a big Mosley fan... He's way more like Sheppard than he is like Willis to me.

Calvin Johnson
Andre Johnson
Demaryius Thomas
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Larry Fitzgerald

All 1st rounders

Jordy Nelson
Desean Jackson
Josh Gordon- Round 2 suppl
Alshon Jeffery

2nd rounders

Pierre Gracon and Antonio Brown are the only two in the top 10 in receiving yards this year that weren't 1st or 2nd rounders.

My point being is we're looking for an impact next year not two-three years down the road that it may take some of these guys to develop. Yet two or three years from now Robert Woods might turn into the Donald Driver/Hines Ward type WR that we need. As to me for 2014 the Bills need a starting WR who can make an impact. I just don't see a rookie doing that. Sure one of these guys might be great in two years or so (as I still feel it takes WRs a good three years to develop) but again if the Bills are playing to win next year a rookie won't give us the impact a veteran like Jones can. Robert Woods had a solid rookie year but was it the impact we all wanted? Nope but honestly it was as good as one could truly hope if have realistic expectations for a rookie WR.

X-Era
01-05-2014, 09:18 AM
My point being is we're looking for an impact next year not two-three years down the road that it may take some of these guys to develop. Yet two or three years from now Robert Woods might turn into the Donald Driver/Hines Ward type WR that we need. As to me for 2014 the Bills need a starting WR who can make an impact. I just don't see a rookie doing that. Sure one of these guys might be great in two years or so (as I still feel it takes WRs a good three years to develop) but again if the Bills are playing to win next year a rookie won't give us the impact a veteran like Jones can. Robert Woods had a solid rookie year but was it the impact we all wanted? Nope but honestly it was as good as one could truly hope if have realistic expectations for a rookie WR.I have zero issue with signing a guy instead of drafting one (obviously depending on who it is). But our path seems to usually be the draft and we might have some very good play-making prospects at 9.

I think we both agree another starting play-making WR on the outside opposite Woods is a need. I'm fine with solving it however we can. But I want a serious effort made to do so.

stuckincincy
01-05-2014, 11:20 AM
My point being is we're looking for an impact next year not two-three years down the road that it may take some of these guys to develop. Yet two or three years from now Robert Woods might turn into the Donald Driver/Hines Ward type WR that we need. As to me for 2014 the Bills need a starting WR who can make an impact. I just don't see a rookie doing that. Sure one of these guys might be great in two years or so (as I still feel it takes WRs a good three years to develop) but again if the Bills are playing to win next year a rookie won't give us the impact a veteran like Jones can. Robert Woods had a solid rookie year but was it the impact we all wanted? Nope but honestly it was as good as one could truly hope if have realistic expectations for a rookie WR.

Good post.

DraftBoy
01-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Btw you guys can have Watkins and Evans, for the pick value and the ability give me Donte Moncrief in the 2nd Round all day.

TigerJ
01-05-2014, 08:19 PM
I looked him up, DraftBoy, and it looks as if he suffered the same ailment as Robert Woods in his senior year. In Woods' case it was named Marquise Lee. I don't know what Ole Miss's fab freshman receiver is but it sounds like Moncrief just found himself stuck on a team where he couldn't be the star he might have been elsewhere.

DraftBoy
01-06-2014, 05:19 AM
I looked him up, DraftBoy, and it looks as if he suffered the same ailment as Robert Woods in his senior year. In Woods' case it was named Marquise Lee. I don't know what Ole Miss's fab freshman receiver is but it sounds like Moncrief just found himself stuck on a team where he couldn't be the star he might have been elsewhere.

Yup, Moncrief isn't Treadwell (the fab freshman) but he's got big time ability. He'll run a little slower (4.5ish) but he's got size (6'3) is built for the NFL (225 lbs.) and loves to go over the middle. He's very similar to another former WR from the state of Mississippi that played for the Bills for a long time. The best part about Moncrief's game though is that he attacks the ball in air. He knows how to high point the jump ball and he's dangerous down the field despite not always getting great separation.

ICRockets
01-06-2014, 05:27 AM
Why would we want to make our #1 WR on an NFL team a guy who couldn't be the #1 WR on a college team? I don't mind having Moncrief on the roster, but if you're looking for a true #1 it has to be a guy who is clearly a #1.

TacklingDummy
01-06-2014, 05:58 AM
Btw you guys can have Watkins and Evans, for the pick value and the ability give me Donte Moncrief in the 2nd Round all day.it's pick value picking someone in the 2nd round that most have ranked a 3rd rounder? I'd call that reaching and trying show the league you are smarter than everyone else. Thats the Buffalo way. Look for Moncrief to be drafted by the Bills.

DraftBoy
01-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Why would we want to make our #1 WR on an NFL team a guy who couldn't be the #1 WR on a college team? I don't mind having Moncrief on the roster, but if you're looking for a true #1 it has to be a guy who is clearly a #1.

Moncrief was the #1 at Ole Miss so I'm not sure what point you're making.

- - - Updated - - -

it's pick value picking someone in the 2nd round that most have ranked a 3rd rounder? I'd call that reaching and trying show the league you are smarter than everyone else. Thats the Buffalo way. Look for Moncrief to be drafted by the Bills.

You mean have him mocked as a 3rd rounder?

kingJofNYC
01-06-2014, 08:28 AM
I think we can all agree that this draft is stacked at the WR position.

Always hard to figure out what OBD will do, usually it's a boneheaded move but every once in a while they do something right, as rare as it is.

better days
01-06-2014, 08:42 AM
I think we can all agree that this draft is stacked at the WR position.

Always hard to figure out what OBD will do, usually it's a boneheaded move but every once in a while they do something right, as rare as it is.

Well, the Bills got it right in the draft last year.

I expect to see them draft like last year, not like 10 years ago.

The Jokeman
01-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Well, the Bills got it right in the draft last year.

I expect to see them draft like last year, not like 10 years ago.

Ironically 10 years ago the Bills had one of their better drafts:

1 23 23 Willis McGahee RB Miami (FL)
2 2 16 48 Chris Kelsay DE Nebraska
3 3 30 94 Angelo Crowell LB Virginia
4 4 14 111 Terrence McGee DB Northwestern State (LA)
5 4 30 127 Sam Aiken WR North Carolina
6 5 16 151 Ben Sobieski G Iowa
7 6 14 187 Lauvale Sape DT Utah
8 7 14 228 Mario Haggan LB Mississippi State

As Sobieski and Sape were the only ones to completely bomb but the rest of the crop had decent careers.

better days
01-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Ironically 10 years ago the Bills had one of their better drafts:

As Sobieski and Sape were the only ones to completely bomb but the rest of the crop had decent careers.

Overall a good draft, but McGahee was one of those bonehead moves mentioned.

A WASTE of a first rnd pick for the Bills. He did NOTHING for the Bills & his career has been nothing more than a mid level draft pick. NOT a first rnd pick.

Ed
01-06-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm just really guessing because I don't follow the draft the way I used to but I'd say;
Bridgewater
Manziel
Bortles
Watkins
Matthews
Lewan
Clowney
Barr
Mack

Are Top 10 guys in some order. Watch for Greg Robinson (Auburn), or Mike Evans (Texas A&M) to potentially round out that group.
I think Greg Robinson is the guy I like the most right now at #9, but I have a feeling that by the time the draft roles around he won't be a realistic option.

OL's not as fun as WR, but I think an OT like Robinson could step in and make an impact on offense right away.

As for big WR's, I really like the look of Kelvin Benjamin from FSU. Anyone have a good idea of where he's projected to go? I've seen late first, but he seems like a guy that could see his stock really rise.

DraftBoy
01-06-2014, 11:09 AM
I think Greg Robinson is the guy I like the most right now at #9, but I have a feeling that by the time the draft roles around he won't be a realistic option.

OL's not as fun as WR, but I think an OT like Robinson could step in and make an impact on offense right away.

As for big WR's, I really like the look of Kelvin Benjamin from FSU. Anyone have a good idea of where he's projected to go? I've seen late first, but he seems like a guy that could see his stock really rise.

I'd be a bit shocked if Benjamin leaves. Stay for next year with Jameis and take a shot at back to back titles.

Ed
01-06-2014, 11:55 AM
I'd be a bit shocked if Benjamin leaves. Stay for next year with Jameis and take a shot at back to back titles.
I thought since he'll already be 23 next month that he was likely to leave, but he probably would be better off staying.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2014, 12:00 PM

A WASTE of a first rnd pick for the Bills. He did NOTHING for the Bills & his career has been nothing more than a mid level draft pick. NOT a first rnd pick.

Most first round running backs are never worth a first round pick as guys from the mid rounds can also put up 1000 yard seasons.

better days
01-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Most first round running backs are never worth a first round pick as guys from the mid rounds can also put up 1000 yard seasons.

Agreed, but McGahee is the only RB EVER taken in the first rnd that never had a hope of even playing in his rookie year.

BONEHEADED move to draft him.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Agreed, but McGahee is the only RB EVER taken in the first rnd that never had a hope of even playing in his rookie year.

BONEHEADED move to draft him.

To be fair, if McGahee was healthy, he would have been a top 5 pick that year and never been a Bill.

Plus while he was a Bill, he was really good. He just didn't like it here.

better days
01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
To be fair, if McGahee was healthy, he would have been a top 5 pick that year and never been a Bill.

Plus while he was a Bill, he was really good. He just didn't like it here.

To be fair, McGahee was NOT healthy when drafted & EVERYONE in the WORLD knew that.

He did not play a down in his rookie year & as you pointed out yourself a mid round pick could have done what he did.

Hell, UNDRAFTED Fred Jackson is a better RB than McGahee ever was or will be.

A BONEHEADED move to draft McGahee PERIOD.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2014, 12:41 PM
To be fair, McGahee was NOT healthy when drafted & EVERYONE in the WORLD knew that.

He did not play a down in his rookie year & as you pointed out yourself a mid round pick could have done what he did.

Hell, UNDRAFTED Fred Jackson is a better RB than McGahee ever was or will be.

A BONEHEADED move to draft McGahee PERIOD.

All of the Bills drafting of RB's in the first round the past decade have been bonehead moves.

Drafting McGahee when you had Henry, drafting Lynch to replace McGahee when Fred was already here, drafting Spiller because you had to get rid of the drunken driving ganja smoking gun toting Lynch. I'm sure we must be close to drafting another RB to run Spiller out of town.

better days
01-06-2014, 12:45 PM
All of the Bills drafting of RB's in the first round the past decade have been bonehead moves.

Drafting McGahee when you had Henry, drafting Lynch to replace McGahee when Fred was already here, drafting Spiller because you had to get rid of the drunken driving ganja smoking gun toting Lynch. I'm sure we must be close to drafting another RB to run Spiller out of town.

I can't argue against any of this post.

As I said, drafting McGahee was ONE of the Bills bonehead moves.

EDS
01-06-2014, 01:50 PM

McGahee rushed for more yards and touchdowns in his first three seasons than Spiller has in his first four seasons combined.

But sure, the new regime is smarter.

TacklingDummy
01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
I can't argue against any of this post.

As I said, drafting McGahee was ONE of the Bills bonehead moves.

Biggest boneheaded draft picks since McGahee.

1. Aaron Maybin: to me it's like the bills were trying to say "look at us, we are smarter than you"
2. Donte Whitner: Ngata and Cutler were right there.
3. EJ Manuel: again the Bills trying to prove they are smarter than everyone
4. CJ Spiller: Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson on the roster.
5. Willis McGahee: knee injury, Donahoe with Luxury pick.
6. Marcell Dareus: AJ Green and Patrick Peterson were right there.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Biggest boneheaded draft picks since McGahee.

1. Aaron Maybin: to me it's like the bills were trying to say "look at us, we are smarter than you"
2. Donte Whitner: Ngata and Cutler were right there.
3. EJ Manuel: again the Bills trying to prove they are smarter than everyone
4. CJ Spiller: Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson on the roster.
5. Willis McGahee: knee injury, Donahoe with Luxury pick.
6. Marcell Dareus: AJ Green and Patrick Peterson were right there.

1a. Manuel
1b. Losman
3. Maybin

QB is the most important position on the field and both times they've overdrafted a QB, they've whiffed and whiffed horribly.
If positions don't matter, Maybin is easily the worst pick since Flowers.

better days
01-06-2014, 03:38 PM
1a. Manuel
1b. Losman
3. Maybin

QB is the most important position on the field and both times they've overdrafted a QB, they've whiffed and whiffed horribly.
If positions don't matter, Maybin is easily the worst pick since Flowers.

Of course position matters.

QB being the MOST IMPORTANT position I would rather see the Bills swing & miss on a QB than any other position.

You can put me in the group that thinks it is too early to judge EJ.

But if EJ is a bust, the only QB in that draft that could be better than him is Mike Glennon, the QB I wanted the Bills to draft.

Maybin was a TERRIBLE pick, even worse than McGahee.

TacklingDummy
01-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Maybin was a TERRIBLE pick, even worse than McGahee.

The Dirty Bakers Dozen.

2009 Maybin
2002 Mike Willaims
2000 Erik Flowers
1983 Tony Hunter
1982 Perry Tuttle
1981 Booker Moore
1979 Tom Cousineau
1978 Terry Miller
1977 Phil Dokes
1975 Tom Ruud
1973 Paul Seymour
1972 Walt Patulski
1970 Al Cowlings

better days
01-06-2014, 04:18 PM
The Dirty Bakers Dozen.

2009 Maybin
2002 Mike Willaims
2000 Erik Flowers
1983 Tony Hunter
1982 Perry Tuttle
1981 Booker Moore
1979 Tom Cousineau
1978 Terry Miller
1977 Phil Dokes
1975 Tom Ruud
1973 Paul Seymour
1972 Walt Patulski
1970 Al Cowlings

All TERRIBLE picks, but at least we got Jim Kelly by trading Cousineau to the Browns.

ParanoidAndroid
01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
i want a talented WR, not an overrated one like Evans. Far to many of his receptions are from broken plays, he's a horrible route runner

He saves plays because you can just throw the ball up and he comes down with it. The guy destroyed Alabama and Auburn. Maybe he isn't worth #9 but he's going to be a good target in the NFL. His catch radius is outstanding.

tomz
01-06-2014, 10:16 PM
I like Watkins' hands, not just his explosiveness. Love the way he plucks the ball.

Any love for Jordan Matthews? He looked really good in his bowl game. Very smooth and deceptively fast.

Raptor
01-07-2014, 07:11 AM
He saves plays because you can just throw the ball up and he comes down with it. The guy destroyed Alabama and Auburn. Maybe he isn't worth #9 but he's going to be a good target in the NFL. His catch radius is outstanding.

Yea, He's not doing that against NFL CB's...

better days
01-07-2014, 12:43 PM
McGahee rushed for more yards and touchdowns in his first three seasons than Spiller has in his first four seasons combined.

But sure, the new regime is smarter.

McGahee couldn't play his Rookie year.

BUT CJ had Gailey as his HC & hardly ever saw the field.

STUPID Coaching, pull CJ on 3rd down in the red zone & insert a SCRUB RB in his place.

I could even understand it if Chan pulled CJ for Freddie in the red zone.

But for Choice??????????????

STUPID!

tampabay25690
01-10-2014, 06:31 AM
Bridgewater
Manziel
Bortles
Watkins
Matthews
Lewan
Clowney
Barr
Mack

DB you could almost put Ebron in that group as well.
I think he is going to FLY up boards come April...
But you are pretty accurate on the top 10....

tampabay25690
01-10-2014, 06:36 AM
There is a nice flock of big WR'S in FA I would luv for the Bills to sign a VET guy...
I think Stevie is 50/50 if he is coming back and I think its just a matter of time on TJ Graham.
1st round for me would be get a guy like Ebron, a Stud Tackle, or lets face it a LB...
Get a nice WR later in the draft.

I would not be upset if Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans were drafted when the Bills pick....

DraftBoy
01-10-2014, 08:21 AM
DB you could almost put Ebron in that group as well.
I think he is going to FLY up boards come April...
But you are pretty accurate on the top 10....

I agree with the thought, I just could never rank a TE that can't block that high.

Dr. Lecter
01-10-2014, 08:31 AM
I agree with the thought, I just could never rank a TE that can't block that high.

I think the game is changing and evolving enough that you will start to see them go that high.

DraftBoy
01-10-2014, 08:48 AM
I think the game is changing and evolving enough that you will start to see them go that high.

I get that and don't disagree, just think its a horrible idea. There are plenty of tall WR's who offer what Ebron does.

tampabay25690
01-10-2014, 02:13 PM

I know what u are saying but what a weapon to have...
I know Jimmy Graham isn't a TE that is asked to be a blocker.... I'm not comparing the 2!!

- - - Updated - - -

I get that and don't disagree, just think its a horrible idea. There are plenty of tall WR's who offer what Ebron does.

Mike Evans fits that bill pretty much

TacklingDummy
01-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I know what u are saying but what a weapon to have...
I know Jimmy Graham isn't a TE that is asked to be a blocker.... I'm not comparing the 2!!

- - - Updated - - -

Mike Evans fits that bill pretty muchI'd be like a pig rolling in crap if the Bills could get Evans and Ebron in the first round. Trading Byrd to get it done.

stuckincincy
01-10-2014, 03:17 PM
I'd be like a pig rolling in crap if the Bills could get Evans and Ebron in the first round. Trading Byrd to get it done.

The rest of the league would love to see a club that hasn't been over #25 in run defense for 5 years spend high picks on putative pass catchers again after doing the same last year. :bravo:

Bill Cody
01-12-2014, 04:50 PM
1st round- trade down, linebacker
2nd round- OL, extra 2nd WR
3rd round- CB
4th round- NT
5th rd- QB
6th rd- RB
7th rd - OT