PDA

View Full Version : Second last play of the 2nd Quarter Bengals Vs. Chargers

Famous Amos
01-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Gresham catches the ball near sidelines, gets pushed by defender, goes out of bounds, going back towards own sidelines. This happens around the 14 second mark of the second quarter. The clock continues to run, so the Bengals are forced to scramble to the LOS and down the football, with about 2 seconds left. The referees review the play to determine if Gresham caught the ball, which he did and it was obvious to me that he did. The ball hit the ground and that's when he lost possession. Some guys have big enough hands where they can hold onto the ball, its not like they need to hold the ball against their chest to maintain posession. Anyways, the play gets reviewed and the call stands, he caught the ball. Yet the clock was not rewound to 14 or so seconds. The TV guys said something about him going backwards, which caused the clock to kepp going even when gresham went out of bounds.

What the actual ****? I never heard of that. Is that true, if you are going backwards and you go out of bounds, the clock keeps on going? And the TV guys were totally matter of fact about that. They were sure that's why the clock didnt stop. Im no football guru and I dont study the rules book but I have never heard or or seen that rule before.

SpikedLemonade
01-05-2014, 01:44 PM
First time I heard of it as well.

stuckincincy
01-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Jeff Triplette is the ref. His will be done...I wonder who he's picked as the winner? Looks like SD so far.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/04/nfl-assigns-jeff-triplette-san-diego-cincinnati/

Famous Amos
01-05-2014, 02:25 PM
The refs missed an obvious horse collar call on the Bengals, said it wasn't a penalty because the defender pulled on the back of the jersey.

Typ0
01-05-2014, 02:44 PM
it's the forward progress rule. Been in football for years you should check it out. The play is dead due to forward progress and the ball is spotted as far as you get...ie you can't back up and go out of bounds.

coastal
01-05-2014, 02:44 PM
This is one of the worst refs games I've seen.

coastal
01-05-2014, 02:46 PM
And I would love for someone to smack Phil Sims in the mouth.

he sucks.

SquishDaFish
01-05-2014, 02:47 PM
As Typo said it is the forward progress rule. Has always been there and if you look it up it explains just that.

Skooby
01-05-2014, 03:10 PM
I didn't figure SD to go into a lousy weather stadium & win by 17, wow.

Goobylal
01-05-2014, 03:16 PM
That's been the rule for as long as I can remember. If you go backwards OOB, the clock keeps running.

stuckincincy
01-05-2014, 03:26 PM
I didn't figure SD to go into a lousy weather stadium & win by 17, wow.

Weather wasn't bad - 40 degrees, a bit of spotty rain. Coach-for-Life Marvin Lewis goes 0 and 5 in playoffs.

:kid:

coastal
01-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Weather wasn't bad - 40 degrees, a bit of spotty rain. Coach-for-Life Marvin Lewis goes 0 and 5 in playoffs.

:kid:
Dalton lost that game.

no one else.

stuckincincy
01-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Dalton lost that game.

no one else.

After you have evaluated the Brown family in action, their way of doing business, and watched their club play for the next 23 years like I have since 1990, report back with your findings.

stuckincincy
01-05-2014, 03:43 PM
BTW - down by 3 points going into the 2nd half, their OC - locally known as The Pumpkin (Jay Gruden) - called a total of 3 rushing play in the 2nd half...

Most CIN fans rejoiced when they heard WAS has an interest in him as their HC.

Mr. Pink
01-06-2014, 12:06 PM
The clock doesn't stop when you go out of bounds when your forward progress is stopped. This has been in effect for ages. It was called right on the field.

What wasn't called right is that the clock should have been put back to 13-14 seconds on the next snap after the review since the QB spike play technically never happened.

While a team in that situation would have probably had their kicker out there anyway and just snapped at like 4 seconds and the same end result happened because of it...having only 2 seconds could have potentially rushed the Bengals into making a mistake and not making their kick.

Typ0
01-07-2014, 01:49 PM
The clock doesn't stop when you go out of bounds when your forward progress is stopped. This has been in effect for ages. It was called right on the field.

What wasn't called right is that the clock should have been put back to 13-14 seconds on the next snap after the review since the QB spike play technically never happened.

While a team in that situation would have probably had their kicker out there anyway and just snapped at like 4 seconds and the same end result happened because of it...having only 2 seconds could have potentially rushed the Bengals into making a mistake and not making their kick.

I understand why they didn't put the time back on the clock. The clock was running and it's not going to stop until they blow the whistle to review the play. What I don't understand is how they can go back and review that play at all after another one has been run. If the refs blew the whistle before the ball was snapped on the spike play the clock stops then. If they did not blow it and the ball was snapped the previous play is unreviewable.

stuckincincy
01-07-2014, 01:56 PM
I understand why they didn't put the time back on the clock. The clock was running and it's not going to stop until they blow the whistle to review the play. What I don't understand is how they can go back and review that play at all after another one has been run. If the refs blew the whistle before the ball was snapped on the spike play the clock stops then. If they did not blow it and the ball was snapped the previous play is unreviewable.

After watching this season, I'm sad to say that the conspiracy theorists' contentions are advancing...not you, just in general.

Mr. Pink
01-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Some time should have been put back on the clock as it was 2 seconds when the ball was spiked. Even if it was 4 seconds, seeing the snap of the spike play would have been at 3. That's the only thing I don't get about how that all went down.

Typ0
01-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Some time should have been put back on the clock as it was 2 seconds when the ball was spiked. Even if it was 4 seconds, seeing the snap of the spike play would have been at 3. That's the only thing I don't get about how that all went down.

This is where the conspiracy crap comes in...because it's a cover up. They stopped the clock when the whistle was blown just as they should have. They never should have reviewed that play and putting time back on the clock would be an admission they went back in the game and reviewed previous plays. I can't even imagine the outcry were something had been changed as a result of that review. I think the league is pretty good at recognizing these things but poor in taking actual corrective action. I think the review process is important but they need to get it right and they don't. So I question it's worthiness.

stuckincincy
01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
This is where the conspiracy crap comes in...because it's a cover up. They stopped the clock when the whistle was blown just as they should have. They never should have reviewed that play and putting time back on the clock would be an admission they went back in the game and reviewed previous plays. I can't even imagine the outcry were something had been changed as a result of that review. I think the league is pretty good at recognizing these things but poor in taking actual corrective action. I think the review process is important but they need to get it right and they don't. So I question it's worthiness.

I can't see a conspiracy being engineered, but I refuse to believe that bad apples aren't out there. NFL betting is big, and it's inconceivable that organized or local crime that dips into extortion, gambling, drugs, prostitution, you name it, draws the line at flashing cash to NFL game day officials.

coastal
01-07-2014, 03:35 PM
After you have evaluated the Brown family in action, their way of doing business, and watched their club play for the next 23 years like I have since 1990, report back with your findings.
The brown family played the second half like Billy Joe Hobert?

Typ0
01-08-2014, 04:20 PM
I can't see a conspiracy being engineered, but I refuse to believe that bad apples aren't out there. NFL betting is big, and it's inconceivable that organized or local crime that dips into extortion, gambling, drugs, prostitution, you name it, draws the line at flashing cash to NFL game day officials.

no I should have clarified better. I said conspiracy 'crap' not conspiracy goodness LOL. Basically I think they played a little CyA on their decision making which lacked integrity. So it kicks up the conspiracy theorists because it gives them something to dig their teeth into.