PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Benjamin, WR Florida State

BillsImpossible
01-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Looking forward to watching how this kid performs tonight. He's big, tall, and fast.

14 touchdowns. Here is all 6'5 234 lbs of him from 2013.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Uk2T3FAEkCk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Goobylal
01-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Invisible so far.

Ingtar33
01-06-2014, 10:01 PM
not so easy to dominate when the CB is as fast and as big as you.

Later
01-06-2014, 10:55 PM
He made the play when it counted most. I for one would like him on the Bills. Would be nice to have a receiver who can actually out-jump people in the red zone.

Downinfloflo
01-06-2014, 11:34 PM
He's too tall to play for the Bills...

Are there any track athletes (6' or under) the Bills can teach to catch a football at FL State?

This Benjamin guy won the game for FL...Auburns CB's could not cover him.

Ingtar33
01-06-2014, 11:38 PM
I didn't like how he got zero separation all night; heck he was getting blanketed by a linebacker on some plays. even on the TD he was blanketed.

Downinfloflo
01-06-2014, 11:42 PM
I didn't like how he got zero separation all night; heck he was getting blanketed by a linebacker on some plays. even on the TD he was blanketed.

As long as he can jump up and get the ball..I could care less about the other stuff.

If he has a poor 40 time, No biggie, Draft him in the 4-5 round. And use him on 3rd downs and the red zone.

Ingtar33
01-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Green was the WR who made a difference for FSU tonight; auburn couldn't cover him.

Downinfloflo
01-06-2014, 11:45 PM
Buffalo has a room full of smurfs at WR...It's not working out.

I would even say...Robert Woods is the only WR on the Bills that could be counted on.

That need's to be addressed pronto..

X-Era
01-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Too many easy drops.

Downinfloflo
01-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Too many easy drops.

A tall Stevie Johnson?

Night Train
01-07-2014, 05:05 AM
With the game on the line, he makes the big catch to win the national title.

BillsImpossible
01-07-2014, 10:31 AM
I freaking fell asleep and missed it! Woke up, saw the score and said, "holy @hit!"

The first half was all on Winston, he was horrible. Benjamin was getting separation, but Winston couldn't hit him.

The game winning catch was awesome. That wasn't an easy catch, and only a receiver that big and tall could have caught it.

He could be there in the 2nd round because he does have a slight case of the butterfingers, but I think that is mainly due to his hand/eye coordination that is still developing as he grows into his huge body.

imbondz
01-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Was the 5'10'' Auburn guy the tallest they had to defend him? I didn't get that on the last play at all. I was routing for Auburn tho. Great game overall, again, started way too late.

DraftBoy
01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Benjamin is a 23 year old RS Soph. I doubt he declares honestly.

He runs below average routes so he needs some serious work. Plenty of talent and size but fundamentals are behind.

TedMock
01-07-2014, 01:07 PM
I want a guy who's tall and good. Not just tall. I don't dislike Benjamin, but he needs a ton of work. He made a great play on the most important play, no doubt about. He also had a couple bad drops and could not consistently get open. He needs a ton of work.

I would like that go-to big target, but it's easier said than done. It's not like our WR corp is short anymore. A few years ago - yes, it was short. We had Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, etc, all under 6' tall. Now, we have 2 WR's under 6' tall and we carry 7. I'm not saying they're a good group. Just that it's not the fun bunch wannabe gang any longer.

Mike Evans is the tallest of the first rounders this year, but I'd go with Sammy Watkins before Evans. I would also look at the free agent market for a crafty bigger body before drafting any of them in round one.

DraftBoy
01-07-2014, 01:08 PM
I want a guy who's tall and good. Not just tall. I don't dislike Benjamin, but he needs a ton of work. He made a great play on the most important play, no doubt about. He also had a couple bad drops and could not consistently get open. He needs a ton of work.

I would like that go-to big target, but it's easier said than done. It's not like our WR corp is short anymore. A few years ago - yes, it was short. We had Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, etc, all under 6' tall. Now, we have 2 WR's under 6' tall and we carry 7. I'm not saying they're a good group. Just that it's not the fun bunch wannabe gang any longer.

Mike Evans is the tallest of the first rounders this year, but I'd go with Sammy Watkins before Evans. I would also look at the free agent market for a crafty bigger body before drafting any of them in round one.

Thoughts on Moncrief?

TedMock
01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Thoughts on Moncrief?

I like him a lot. Plays faster than he probably is. Great at using his body deep down field. Big boy. I don't think he's a first rounder. I would be thrilled in the third, but it'll probably be too late. Not as productive as I would have expected this year from what I watched, so that's why I'm a little gun shy.

tampabay25690
01-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Didn't have a great game at all...
I seen him dominate a few games....
He dominated a very good Florida secondary bad when they played...
Don't just look at his game last nite!

The Jokeman
01-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Benjamin is a 23 year old RS Soph. I doubt he declares honestly.

He runs below average routes so he needs some serious work. Plenty of talent and size but fundamentals are behind.

At 23 there's more reason for him to enter now than later. As I doubt he's going to get any faster and his stock might never reach any higher than it is now. That said I see him as a 3rd Round draft pick as, I've read comparisons to Alshon Jeffery but actually would compare him more to a former Bear/Panther in Muhsin Muhammed.

Ingtar33
01-08-2014, 01:37 AM
At 23 there's more reason for him to enter now than later. As I doubt he's going to get any faster and his stock might never reach any higher than it is now. That said I see him as a 3rd Round draft pick as, I've read comparisons to Alshon Jeffery but actually would compare him more to a former Bear/Panther in Muhsin Muhammed.

I remember Muhsin Muhammed coming out of college... I'm pretty sure he was plenty fast.

Skooby
01-08-2014, 02:59 AM
Didn't have a great game at all...
I seen him dominate a few games....
He dominated a very good Florida secondary bad when they played...
Don't just look at his game last nite!

This.

DraftBoy
01-08-2014, 06:50 AM

He doesn't need to get faster. That's one of the greatest misconceptions about the WR position, speed is only good if you know what to do with it (See TJ Graham). Benjamin needs to learn routes, he needs to learn head fakes, he needs to work on agility and how to get into and out of breaks faster. He needs to learn that a quick slant on step three means make the damn break at step 3 and make sure you're on a 45 degree angle cut.

With his size, he doesn't need more speed, he just needs to learn better routes. He won't get the reps he needs in the pros next year to learn that (see James Hardy). Another year of college focused on route running will raise his stock.

The Jokeman
01-08-2014, 09:41 AM
He doesn't need to get faster. That's one of the greatest misconceptions about the WR position, speed is only good if you know what to do with it (See TJ Graham). Benjamin needs to learn routes, he needs to learn head fakes, he needs to work on agility and how to get into and out of breaks faster. He needs to learn that a quick slant on step three means make the damn break at step 3 and make sure you're on a 45 degree angle cut.

With his size, he doesn't need more speed, he just needs to learn better routes. He won't get the reps he needs in the pros next year to learn that (see James Hardy). Another year of college focused on route running will raise his stock.

Waiting to come out next year comes out next comes out with some added risk. As he'll be even older, risks replicating the success he had this year and most of all injury. I only made the speed comment as a reference that he is what he is physically and that won't change. I'm not sure spending another year in school will do he much in terms of ultimate draft grade. As he might improve his route running but if he stats suffer or gets hurt then he goes from a 3rd Round pick to possibly undrafted. IMHO at his age he's probably and with all his success I think he's best served to come out sooner than later.

DraftBoy
01-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Waiting to come out next year comes out next comes out with some added risk. As he'll be even older, risks replicating the success he had this year and most of all injury. I only made the speed comment as a reference that he is what he is physically and that won't change. I'm not sure spending another year in school will do he much in terms of ultimate draft grade. As he might improve his route running but if he stats suffer or gets hurt then he goes from a 3rd Round pick to possibly undrafted. IMHO at his age he's probably and with all his success I think he's best served to come out sooner than later.

I think you vastly under rate how much impact improved route running will have on his draft grade. I'm not saying he's going from 3rd Round pick to Top 5, but as a 24 year old kid he has plenty of years left and in the NFL you have to know how to get open. In college size or speed can help mask ones inability to work themselves open but in the NFL that's not the case.

I think he could be a 2nd Rounder (and maybe even borderline 1st) with another year and improved routes. It's not like he has a massive body of work already accomplished either. You're talking about a guy with less than 100 career receptions.

The Beef
01-08-2014, 09:31 PM
He's too raw to fit here IMO. If we had a vet QB, maybe a different story. Benjamin has to go to the right spot.

These big WR's are so tricky, and DraftBoy nailed it, you need to know how to get open.

Stephen Hill is 6'5 and can run by almost anyone. Hardy was 6'6 with an NFL body. Neither if them came out with the ability to get themselves separation. Ball skills are huge too (I think Hardy had those, he just never ran a real route in college, did not have elite speed, blew out his knee and that all caught up with him).

If you're hung ho on a big wideout the pick has to be Evans. He uses his physicality to get open (push off). He has performed as a go to guy. As well don't underestimate what playing with a guy like. Manziel does for WR's. It makes them work back across he field and through zones.

EJ was effective at times extending plays after the initial pressure. However those plays rarely results in a big play ala Big Ben. However if you throw a big athletic target working down he field, you may give EJ an option he would trust to make a play on the ball. However that's up to the QB to be able to avoid pressure and keep his eyes down the field looking to makes play. Too often EJ avoided the rush, didn't make a bro down the field, and didn't use his legs to get chunk yardage. Especially after the Cleveland game. Yes sliding is key to staying healthy, however when you're a 6'5 athlete and you can beat a defender in space you need to trust yourself to make a play, I didn't see enough of that out of EJ this year.

GvilleBills
01-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Word is, he's declaring today.

stuckincincy
01-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Who says bowl performances don't titillate? :tricycle:

RedEyE
01-11-2014, 09:10 AM
CBS has him ranked 24th overall 2nd in the position and a late 1st round pick. I think that is a bit high. Wouldn't be surprised to see him mid 2nd.

tampabay25690
01-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Well I dont look at a Bowl game to say were the kid can go.
I will say I seen him play many games and he took over a few of them

I bet he is gone late 1st round.

Oaf
01-11-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm still scared of James Hardy.

tampabay25690
01-12-2014, 08:07 AM
I'm still scared of James Hardy.

Is he being drafted this year?