PDA

View Full Version : The Bowl Game Season is over, so prospects are lining up for draft

ghz in pittsburgh
01-07-2014, 08:25 AM
This is another draft where it can go anywhere any place any order in the top 10. It reminds me of the Cam Newton draft where you have the general idea of top guys in different category but you don't know which order. The one interesting thing is QB position that as a whole, they are better than last year. EJ, Geno, etc. were all graded 3rd round and beyond in general and wound up in 1st and 2nd. This year these 1st, 2nd round grade QBs could easily throw the whole draft into different scenario than we expect - including trades.

Since the Bills have a few positions they can use a starter off the draft. Free agency may change somewhat. I like the idea of getting the best guy in one position instead of settling for 2nd/3rd best which often leads to unhappy results.

trapezeus
01-07-2014, 10:17 AM
with the team being in most games, but losing some because of inadequate QB play, i think not seriously looking at a top QB with the #9 pick is foolish. if there is a run on the QB's early, then obviously we have other holes to fill, but the QB play for the bills was average at it's best moments. It would be great to get more LB's and Pass rushers to help as well as a couple OL who know how to block.

but honestly, a good to great qb could have had us in the hunt for a playoff birth.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-07-2014, 12:20 PM
If you step back a bit, you gotta say EJ, Woods, Goodwin played about what you expect as rookies in their respective position where Kiko probably exceeded some. So I understand they may not want to remove EJ so quickly by bringing another first round QB pick at #9, unless they rate him so high and think they have another Roethlisberger at hand.

At QB position, the realistic question is whether they take a stab at someone with potential, like Wilson, Kaepernick in round 3 - 4 where they are serious candidates.

By the way, I do see at least one QB drafted in top 5 and potentially a lot of QB drafting positioning around 10th pick area. The Bills may be in position make a play of their 9th pick if they don't want to take a QB, though I think the pressure to find a starter in one of the position (and playoff for 2014) is so high for this coaching staff that I think they will stay put.

coastal
01-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Trade down get the extra second if possible... take the two best offensive lineman with your first two picks.

take 2 offensive skill players and QB with your next three.

tag Byrd.

resign Carrington and Chandler.

fill in the D with a couple of key vets.

trapezeus
01-07-2014, 04:11 PM
If you step back a bit, you gotta say EJ, Woods, Goodwin played about what you expect as rookies in their respective position where Kiko probably exceeded some. So I understand they may not want to remove EJ so quickly by bringing another first round QB pick at #9, unless they rate him so high and think they have another Roethlisberger at hand.

At QB position, the realistic question is whether they take a stab at someone with potential, like Wilson, Kaepernick in round 3 - 4 where they are serious candidates.

By the way, I do see at least one QB drafted in top 5 and potentially a lot of QB drafting positioning around 10th pick area. The Bills may be in position make a play of their 9th pick if they don't want to take a QB, though I think the pressure to find a starter in one of the position (and playoff for 2014) is so high for this coaching staff that I think they will stay put.

if the trade is good for multiple picks this year, and we see OL being deep, make the trade and really build around EJ. i don't think EJ is ever going to be the fast decision maker. he's going ot look best when he's given a lot of time. So if the brain trust really wants EJ and doesn't think getting more skilled QB's in the mix is important, then you got to build a real line that gets the run game going consistently and gives EJ enough time to make the throws. he's got a strong arm, but he hasn't exhibited any sense of knowing what to do immediately like some of the better qbs.

TacklingDummy
01-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Trade down get the extra second if possible... take the two best offensive lineman with your first two picks.

.im all for trading down if Watkins and Evans are gone. Just trade down far enough to still be in play for Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech or Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina.

coastal
01-07-2014, 07:34 PM
im all for trading down if Watkins and Evans are gone. Just trade down far enough to still be in play for Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech or Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina.
Da faq u want toys for?

DraftBoy
01-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Da faq u want toys for?

I don't get this mentality either. Do we need another WR? Yes but do we need an OL more? Absolutely. Finish the OL, and the D and then move on to the toys.

alohabillsfan
01-08-2014, 12:00 PM
What we need is a competent QB! And you don't need all 1st round picks on the oline, if you do then the QB is the problem. How come our Oline is good enough for the run game but not the passing? Is it the play of the toys or the QB? Checkmate!

Buffalogic
01-08-2014, 12:22 PM

take 2 offensive skill players and QB with your next three.

tag Byrd.

resign Carrington and Chandler.

fill in the D with a couple of key vets.

This is a terrible idea. Draft no defensive players? Really silly. We desperately need LB help. We should go LB/OL, WR/OL, TE/DT, CB/Safety in first four. We usually hit great on second round players, so leaning toward OL in second.

coastal
01-08-2014, 12:24 PM
This is a terrible idea. Draft no defensive players? Really silly. We desperately need LB help. We should go LB/OL, WR/OL, TE/DT, CB/Safety in first four. We usually hit great on second round players, so leaning toward OL in second.
Well considering our defense led the league in fewest yards per drive... I think it's a pretty good idea.

agree about LB need. I would go after Brandon Spikes hard.

Mr. Pink
01-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Da faq u want toys for?

You want the best players on your team to have long standing capability of competing.

Getting one guard or one tackle or one linebacker isn't going to propel this team into the playoffs.

What this team really needs to compete for the playoffs is one QB but I doubt the front office will make a move to signify that Manuel was a mistake.

jimmifli
01-08-2014, 12:30 PM
What we need is a competent QB! And you don't need all 1st round picks on the oline, if you do then the QB is the problem. How come our Oline is good enough for the run game but not the passing? Is it the play of the toys or the QB? Checkmate!
Our running average is inflated because we never try to run for the tough 3rd and short yards. Having a good 1st down or second average is OK, but to be a real running team you need to be able to run 3rd and 2 and pick up 2.5 yards consistently. We can't.