PDA

View Full Version : Keep your fingers crossed Miller does well in Sochi

Skooby
01-08-2014, 02:47 AM
If USA wins it on Miller's shoulders, we should be able to get first round value out of him from somebody.

swiper
01-08-2014, 05:39 AM
If USA wins it on Miller's shoulders, we should be able to get first round value out of him from somebody.

Again, if Regier was able to get a first for Paul Gaustad (http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-02-27/paul-gaustad-trade-rumors-nashville-predators-buffalo-sabres), then getting a 1st for Ryan Miller should be easy.

JATMtheJATM
01-08-2014, 06:09 AM
millers worth sways depending on performance, but not THAT much. if he has an average olympics, its not like hes going to plummet to a third round value.

rbochan
01-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Again, if Regier was able to get a first for Paul Gaustad (http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-02-27/paul-gaustad-trade-rumors-nashville-predators-buffalo-sabres), then getting a 1st for Ryan Miller should be easy.

Except that Regier didn't. It was Gaustad and a 4th.

trapezeus
01-08-2014, 10:15 AM
i agree. if ryan plays like he has and grabs the headlines again, it'd be interesting to look at the top 8 teams in both divisions to see who is in need of goalie.

gebobs
01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Wow, I didn't expect Miller would be the starter but I see Quick has been injured.

mightysimi
01-08-2014, 10:42 AM
i agree. if ryan plays like he has and grabs the headlines again, it'd be interesting to look at the top 8 teams in both divisions to see who is in need of goalie.

The problem being that most of those teams already have a goalie. Miller isn't getting any younger either. He is still a real good goalie but I'm not so sure you will get anything near the top of the 1st round. I would think prospect and 2nd or 3rd would be a good grab for Miller.

gebobs
01-08-2014, 11:30 AM
The problem being that most of those teams already have a goalie. Miller isn't getting any younger either. He is still a real good goalie but I'm not so sure you will get anything near the top of the 1st round. I would think prospect and 2nd or 3rd would be a good grab for Miller.
All we need are two teams to bid each other up. Probably don't want to trade inside the division, but if it means getting a 1st or more I'd do it. I think both Ottawa and Toronto would be better off with Miller.

Still in the East, the Capitals would probably show interest. Grubauer is waking up to reality. Holtby is all over the place. And Neuvirth is looking to get out.

In the West, maybe Ruff might want Miller. Lehtonen has been a bit shaky this year. And Phoenix could use an upgrade.

coastal
01-08-2014, 12:32 PM
All we need are two teams to bid each other up. Probably don't want to trade inside the division, but if it means getting a 1st or more I'd do it. I think both Ottawa and Toronto would be better off with Miller.
Toronto's problems have nothing to do with goaltending. Those poor boys have been shell shocked all year.

Toronto's problems are almost all coaching. Carlyle sucks... bad.

if I'm Toronto, I'm looking at a Kadri/Ott swap in some form... perhaps with Weber on top.

gebobs
01-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Toronto's problems have nothing to do with goaltending. Those poor boys have been shell shocked all year.
That's true, but it wouldn't be the first time a Leafs GM made a dumb trade. Of course, the chances of that were much better with Burke than Nonis.

JATMtheJATM
01-08-2014, 12:52 PM

Toronto's problems are almost all coaching. Carlyle sucks... bad.

if I'm Toronto, I'm looking at a Kadri/Ott swap in some form... perhaps with Weber on top.

kadri for ott? can he play wing?

i like kadri. kids got skill.

JATMtheJATM
01-08-2014, 12:56 PM
i see a miller trade to really 3 teams.

pittsburgh (depending on vokoun) and we all witnessed fleury melt down last postseason
st louis. they have decent goaltending, but this could be the year. they have the team
washington. holtby is ok, but hes nothing special so far. neuvirth wants out.

philly COULD have an outside shot, but masons playing well.

Downinfloflo
01-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Sochi will have no affect on Millers trade value..The NHL already know's who he is.

Pitt....That's a really a long shot, Fleury is signed through next season at $5m per..So many parts would have to be moved for this to make sense.

Washington, Erat, Orlov, Neurvirth, have asked to be traded.

St Louis may bite, but the Sabres may not be happy with what they may be offered.

I know it's been beat to death, But when your going to be 34 and a UFA and a Goalie who's going to be asking for around $8m per....Good luck Mr Murray.

JATMtheJATM
01-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Sochi will have no affect on Millers trade value..The NHL already know's who he is.

Pitt....That's a really a long shot, Fleury is signed through next season at $5m per..So many parts would have to be moved for this to make sense.

Washington, Erat, Orlov, Neurvirth, have asked to be traded.

St Louis may bite, but the Sabres may not be happy with what they may be offered.

I know it's been beat to death, But when your going to be 34 and a UFA and a Goalie who's going to be asking for around $8m per....Good luck Mr Murray.

to me, st louis makes the most sense. and a late first with maybe a second next year or something is what i expect for miller. id love more, but realistically, a late first is probably going to be the centerpiece.

mightysimi
01-08-2014, 03:04 PM
St. Louis is 3rd in the league in points and 3rd in Goals allowed. Seems to me their goaltending is working out just fine.

coastal
01-08-2014, 03:05 PM
kadri for ott? can he play wing?

Can who play wing? Kadri? Why would you want to play him on wing?

Ginger Vitis
01-08-2014, 03:27 PM

He does but every HC he has had(Wilson..Carlyle) have made it known to the media they think he is lazy

mightysimi
01-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Can who play wing? Kadri? Why would you want to play him on wing?

Of all the teams to trade with, the one who had 2 C out for half the season probably isn't going to want to deal one. Not to mention a 24 yr old prospect for a 32 yr old grinder.

coastal
01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Of all the teams to trade with, the one who had 2 C out for half the season probably isn't going to want to deal one. Not to mention a 24 yr old prospect for a 32 yr old grinder.
The Leafs are primed now and Kadri is a puss.

Plus sticking Ott with Clarkson and Kulemin strikes me as a 1+1+1 = 9 kinda scenario.

mightysimi
01-08-2014, 06:14 PM
The Leafs are primed now and Kadri is a puss.

Plus sticking Ott with Clarkson and Kulemin strikes me as a 1+1+1 = 9 kinda scenario.

That does make a good line. I can't imagine in any way they make this trade now considering how fast it went down last time plus giving him a new contract I just don't see it. Regardless of all that, no way it happens straight up.

Skooby
01-08-2014, 07:12 PM

Miller could put a good team over the top, also their higher draft pick the following season won't produce an immediate result like Miller could possibly provide. Either way, spending $8 Million on a goalie for a last place going nowhere is crazy. By the time the team rebuilds, Miller will be retired.

coastal
01-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Miller could put a good team over the top, also their higher draft pick the following season won't produce an immediate result like Miller could possibly provide. Either way, spending $8 Million on a goalie for a last place going nowhere is crazy. By the time the team rebuilds, Miller will be retired.
Couldn't disagree with you more. Having Miller here helps the whole organization.

He's a pro. He's a leader. He's a teacher.

get it?

mightysimi
01-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Also, some teams will have to add salary for next season due to rising floor. The Isle did it just last year trading for Thomas just to add salary.

Skooby
01-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Couldn't disagree with you more. Having Miller here helps the whole organization.

He's a pro. He's a leader. He's a teacher.

get it?

We have some huge goalie talent ready to move off the farm that won't cost us $8 Million a losing season, they need ice time as well. Add in our #1 or 2 draft pick & a few others coming together & this might time out well for our future.

trapezeus
01-09-2014, 08:02 AM
i think getting a prospect and a 2nd or 3rd would be good. it'd have to be a high level prospect.

i don't mind keeping miller or trading him for some immediate impact. i think teams that are doing well but don't have a solid belief that their goaltending will be there for the playoffs wouldn't mind an expensive rental if the mindset is that "this is our year".

as buffalo fans, our teams rarely go all in. but some teams do and they trade the future to win it now. it can be great insurance if your starting goalie gets the yips early. helps the team play offensively without worry that the goalie has fallen apart.

Ginger Vitis
01-09-2014, 10:08 AM
We have some huge goalie talent

if you are implying Hackett or Makarov are huge goalie talents I think that is a bit of a stretch

The Jokeman
01-09-2014, 11:28 AM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9871613/ryan-miller-goalie-trade-market is an old article but it does a good job as it talks about previous trades made for goalies. Asking for a 1st seems to be a lot. I think we should be happy with a 3rd Round pick and a middle of the road G in return. I could see us getting a 3rd and Mike Smith from Coyotes.

gebobs
01-09-2014, 11:45 AM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9871613/ryan-miller-goalie-trade-market is an old article but it does a good job as it talks about previous trades made for goalies. Asking for a 1st seems to be a lot. I think we should be happy with a 3rd Round pick and a middle of the road G in return. I could see us getting a 3rd and Mike Smith from Coyotes.

In that case, what's the point of getting rid of him? Resign him and let him finish off his career in Buffalo.

The Jokeman
01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
In that case, what's the point of getting rid of him? Resign him and let him finish off his career in Buffalo.

He might not want to re-sign as he could be seeking to play with a playoff contender to get him a Stanley Cup. Which I feel to be true so I say get something for him while still have a chance.

JATMtheJATM
01-09-2014, 01:20 PM
if you are implying Hackett or Makarov are huge goalie talents I think that is a bit of a stretch

hackett, maybe not so much. he has lots of talent. many minnesota fans were upset that he was moved, as they felt he was going to take the reigns from backstrom when backstrom retired.

i dont know if hackett is a long term answer, but outside him, the sabres dont have much. thats why i advocate drafting a goalie high this draft, or trading for young stud. if ones available.

- - - Updated - - -

We have some huge goalie talent ready to move off the farm that won't cost us $8 Million a losing season, they need ice time as well. Add in our #1 or 2 draft pick & a few others coming together & this might time out well for our future.

no, the sabres dont have huge goalie talent waiting in the wings.

gebobs
01-09-2014, 01:36 PM
He might not want to re-sign as he could be seeking to play with a playoff contender to get him a Stanley Cup. Which I feel to be true so I say get something for him while still have a chance.

Here's hoping we now have a GM that actually talks with his players before they become free agents and doesn't get left with his dick in his hands on July 1st.

Downinfloflo
01-09-2014, 02:05 PM
This can't help the situation with Miller..

Year of the backup goalie shows growth at position

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=699719&navid=DL|NHL|home

JATMtheJATM
01-09-2014, 04:19 PM
its funny, i figured out why goalies are doing so well. and its a small piece of equipment.

gebobs
01-09-2014, 08:35 PM
its funny, i figured out why goalies are doing so well. and its a small piece of equipment.

Maybe yours was. ;-)

JATMtheJATM
01-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Maybe yours was. ;-)

jerk!

its the new cowlings skates have. the new cowlings sit closer to the inside of your foot and are a little taller then previous cowlings. you wouldnt think it makes a difference, but they do. almost every goalie use the bauer vortexx cowlings. thats what i used till recently, hoping the new graf cowlings have the same affect (so far, they dont as much). you get explosive pushes, thats why goalies are able to come across so much quicker now, and get set quicker. its made goalies so fast, its literally changed the position.

gebobs
01-09-2014, 09:03 PM
jerk!

its the new cowlings skates have. the new cowlings sit closer to the inside of your foot and are a little taller then previous cowlings. you wouldnt think it makes a difference, but they do. almost every goalie use the bauer vortexx cowlings. thats what i used till recently, hoping the new graf cowlings have the same affect (so far, they dont as much). you get explosive pushes, thats why goalies are able to come across so much quicker now, and get set quicker. its made goalies so fast, its literally changed the position.
Interesting!

JATMtheJATM
01-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Interesting!

heres the cowlings on my old grafs.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/407827_777650247619_995322857_n.jpg

mightysimi
01-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Why would Phoenix want to make that trade? Miller isn't a huge upgrade on Smith. Also Smith's puck handling is far superior to Miller's. Both are olympians too so that is a push.