X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wozrob11
    • Mar 2007

Most penalized Buffalo Bills: Nos. 6-10

Saw this on ESPN i assume 1-5 will be up tomorrow!!
    Jan 8
    2:00
    PM ET

Breaking down the most-penalized Buffalo Bills players during the 2013 season:

No. 10: Frank Summers
    Position: Fullback
    Snaps: 19 percent (offense), 32 percent (special teams)
    Penalties: 1 offense, 2 special teams
    Total penalty yards: 31
    Quick take: One of Summers' penalties on special teams came at a critical point in Week 2. He was called for holding on a fourth-and-18 punt, extending a Carolina Panthers drive that later ended in a touchdown. The Bills eventually came back to win.

No. 8 (tied): Ron Brooks
    Position: Cornerback
    Snaps: 4 percent (defense), 34 percent (special teams)
    Penalties: 1 defense, 2 special teams
    Total penalty yards: 34
    Quick take: Brooks played sparingly on defense, so his one penalty -- a pass interference call in Week 17 -- is a more of a blemish than his infractions on special teams.

No. 8 (tied): Stephon Gilmore
    Snaps: 57 percent (defense), 14 percent (special teams)
    Penalties: 6 defense
    Quick take: Having missed the first five games, Gilmore lands higher on this list than most would like. However, flags against a top cornerback aren't necessarily cause for alarm. Rather, they can be a sign of aggressive play.

No. 7: Jerry Hughes
    Position: Defensive end
    Snaps: 53 percent (defense), 22 percent (special teams)
    Penalties: 5 defense
    Total penalty yards: 35
    Quick take: Four of Hughes' penalties were for being offsides (or a neutral zone infraction). For a pass rusher, especially one who set a career high with 10 sacks, those can pass.

No. 6: Kyle Williams
    Position: Defensive tackle
    Snaps: 82 percent (defense), 3 percent (special teams)
    Total penalty yards: 37
    Quick take: The Bills could have done without Williams' taunting and face mask penalties in Week 6's loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. But like Hughes, Williams enjoyed a career season, notching 10.5 sacks, so his encroachment penalties weren't a major issue.
    IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST :op:
  • GingerP
    • Aug 2012

Re: Most penalized Buffalo Bills: Nos. 6-10

I bet Wood is up there, if not #1. He got called a ton for stuff this year.

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

I'll give Gilmore a pass since he obviously had to shake a lot of rust off after his injury, and playing with a "club" on his arm made playing CB (tackling) much more difficult when he first cmae back.

I remember Ron Brooks' pass interference call. He gave the receiver an extra shove well past the 5 yard line that really had nothing to do with causing the incompletion. I hope he got a good lecture from his position coach.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• casdhf
        • Jul 2002

I think these are all going to be OL or DB for the top
        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
          • Nov 2009

I think the Bills should cut the entire list. This is unacceptable behavior. I want them GONE...NOW!!!

Comment

• wozrob11
            • Mar 2007

Here are the rest of them
            Jan 8
            2:00
            PM ET

Breaking down the most-penalized Buffalo Bills players during the 2013 season:

No. 10: Frank Summers
            Position: Fullback
            Snaps: 19 percent (offense), 32 percent (special teams)
            Penalties: 1 offense, 2 special teams
            Total penalty yards: 31
            Quick take: One of Summers' penalties on special teams came at a critical point in Week 2. He was called for holding on a fourth-and-18 punt, extending a Carolina Panthers drive that later ended in a touchdown. The Bills eventually came back to win.

No. 8 (tied): Ron Brooks
            Snaps: 4 percent (defense), 34 percent (special teams)
            Penalties: 1 defense, 2 special teams
            Quick take: Brooks played sparingly on defense, so his one penalty -- a pass interference call in Week 17 -- is a more of a blemish than his infractions on special teams.

No. 8 (tied): Stephon Gilmore
            Snaps: 57 percent (defense), 14 percent (special teams)
            Quick take: Having missed the first five games, Gilmore lands higher on this list than most would like. However, flags against a top cornerback aren't necessarily cause for alarm. Rather, they can be a sign of aggressive play.

No. 7: Jerry Hughes
            Position: Defensive end
            Snaps: 53 percent (defense), 22 percent (special teams)
            Total penalty yards: 35
            Quick take: Four of Hughes' penalties were for being offsides (or a neutral zone infraction). For a pass rusher, especially one who set a career high with 10 sacks, those can pass.

No. 6: Kyle Williams
            Position: Defensive tackle
            Snaps: 82 percent (defense), 3 percent (special teams)
            Total penalty yards: 37
            Quick take: The Bills could have done without Williams' taunting and face mask penalties in Week 6's loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. But like Hughes, Williams enjoyed a career season, notching 10.5 sacks, so his encroachment penalties weren't a major issue.[/QUOTE]

No. 4 (tied): Aaron Williams
            Position: Safety
            Snaps: 81 percent (defense), 21 percent (special teams)
            Total penalty yards: 53
            Quick take: Williams three costly penalties early this season. In Week 2, he was called for unnecessary roughness on third down, extending a Carolina Panthers drive. In Week 4, he was flagged for a horse collar tackle against the Baltimore Ravens. And in Week 5, he kept the Cleveland Browns on the field after another unnecessary roughness flag on third down. Even in his third season, Williams was one of the youngest players on the Bills' roster, so outside-the-limits play may come with the territory but he needs to continue to reel that in as he matures within the defense.

No. 4 (tied): Nickell Robey
            Snaps: 53 percent (defense), 8 percent (special teams)
            Penalties: 4 defense, 1 special teams
            Total penalty yards: 53
            Quick take: Since the Bills got solid play this season out of Robey, an undrafted rookie, his flags are less of an issue. He will need to cut down on costly defensive pass interference penalties and prove that he can play bigger than his size (5-foot-8, 165 pounds) without costing his team with penalties.

No. 3: Leodis McKelvin
            Snaps: 81 percent (defense), 26 percent (special teams)
            Penalties: 3 defense, 1 special teams
            Total penalty yards: 54
            Quick take: Despite his relatively high playing time, McKelvin was flagged only three times on defense, which is a positive for the former first-round pick who had a career season. He finishes high on this list because of his penalty yardage, mostly the result of a 29-yard pass interference call in Tampa.

No. 2: Cordy Glenn
            Position: Left tackle
            Snaps: 100 percent (offense), 14 percent (special teams)
            Penalties: 6 offense
            Total penalty yards: 58
            Quick take: Glenn played every snap this season, so naturally his penalty tally will be higher than most. If there's one flag to pick out against Glenn, it would be his unnecessary roughness penalty in Week 4's win over Baltimore.

No. 1: Eric Wood
            Position: Center
            Snaps: 100 percent (offense)
            Penalties: 7 offense
            Total penalty yards: 60
            Quick take: Wood was flagged twice for false start penalties, which are tough to excuse if you're the one snapping the ball. Otherwise, the captain's playing time gives him a pass for leading the team in penalty yardage.

Season totals:
            Penalties: 109 (8th-most in NFL)
            Penalty yards: 952 (7th-most in NFL)
            IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST :op:

Comment

Working...
            X