PDA

View Full Version : Is Manuel Clutch? Chris Brown is selling it!

ghz in pittsburgh
01-10-2014, 07:29 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Manuels-play-late-in-halves--games-shows-clutch-factor/66a3a7e3-7255-4f67-b9d6-55698bc27688

Must be the analytics came up with new stats. I'd like to see more on blitzed, O-Line break down case stats to see how he handles those situations.

Overall though, I see a QB adjusting to read defenses. 1st Quarter and 3rd Quarter are the new stuff or adjustments from defenses being shown. And EJ needed to see them a few times, maybe coached on the sideline to get more comfortable. This is why I think his legs are so important to him continuing forward: when in doubt, use your legs to make positive plays. Don't kill your teams in the 1st and 3rd Quarters.

The Bills had a good defense to keep the team in most games to prevent those games going out of hand.

OpIv37
01-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Two things about this: first, ten games is too small a sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions. Second, without knowing how other players faired with ~10 starts, it becomes completely meaningless.

Remember, JP Losman had a clutch comeback effort in his first ever start in 2005 and we saw how that turned out.....

I'd like to see where both good and bad QBs were with these numbers after one season as a starter before the means anything.

mikemac2001
01-10-2014, 08:04 AM
Hes been solid in pressure situations in the 4th at home

he did drive the bills down twice to beat the falcons i wouldnt say it was his fault

other then the panthers win and falcons game i dont see a ton of clutch

don137
01-10-2014, 08:52 AM
I really want Manuel to succeed but 3 knee injuries in one season and he is seen as clutch? I think Chris Brown mis-spelled clutch and should describe EJ as one seen with a crutch.

better days
01-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Hes been solid in pressure situations in the 4th at home

he did drive the bills down twice to beat the falcons i wouldnt say it was his fault

other then the panthers win and falcons game i dont see a ton of clutch

Well, EJ was clutch against the Browns as well & was moving the ball to put the Bills in position to score when he got injured in that game.

EJ is the AntiFitz. He plays his best when the game is on the line. The only major concern with him in my mind is his ability to stay healthy.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Two things about this: first, ten games is too small a sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions. Second, without knowing how other players faired with ~10 starts, it becomes completely meaningless.

Remember, JP Losman had a clutch comeback effort in his first ever start in 2005 and we saw how that turned out.....

I'd like to see where both good and bad QBs were with these numbers after one season as a starter before the means anything.

I would have to say he's advanced in that area if you want to compare him to Losman, Edwards, etc. because those QBs's comback came much leter in their career, not in 2nd game of their career.

Of course Losman was drafted to sit behind Bledsoe and Edwards was drafted in the 3rd to be backup of Losman. They don't get a chance to start soon...

justasportsfan
01-10-2014, 10:28 AM
The Bills had a good defense to keep the team in most games to prevent those games going out of hand.

:up:

We need a franchise qb who doesn't have to put the D in a position to win it in the 4th qtr.

justasportsfan
01-10-2014, 10:30 AM
He plays his best when the game is on the line.

If he plays consistently well early on and throughout the game then the game won't be on the line late in the game to begin with.

Mahdi
01-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Biggest mistake Marrone made was trying to keep Manuel on a leash. He should have been encouraging him to throw the ball aggressively and not worry about INTs and turnovers. He should have almost let him be reckless. Wins should not have been the priority.

Now EJ still does not know what he can and can't do because he hasn't let it rip yet. Lost year of development in many aspects.

justasportsfan
01-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Biggest mistake Marrone made was trying to keep Manuel on a leash. He should have been encouraging him to throw the ball aggressively and not worry about INTs and turnovers. He should have almost let him be reckless. Wins should not have been the priority.

EJ was told to rip it vs. the jets and he did. They even showed EJ videos of Brees and Brady just letting it go prior to the jets game ,but EJ reverted back to his old self after that. Even Thad and Tuel weren't scared to throw the ball. IMO, it's EJ not Marrone.

GingerP
01-10-2014, 01:49 PM
I'd put more stock in that stat if they took out garbage time. The late TD in the Pittsburgh game really wasn't "clutch". It would be more interesting if they just looked at his performance when the game was close, although the sample-size would be small.

GvilleBills
01-10-2014, 01:56 PM
The absolute best he looked in the preseason were his drives to end the half.

Night Train
01-10-2014, 01:57 PM
I believe everything I read. Then I feign outrage.

The Mantra of billszone.

gr8slayer
01-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Anyone who claims to know either way is lying to themselves. There's absolutely no way to know this early into his career.

Meathead
01-10-2014, 03:10 PM
i noticed this affect myself, more at the end of games than the halfs but its not surprising. when the game was on the line (or they have little to lose like time winding down in the half) he was more willing to just let it rip and not try to be careful - and was darn good at it. hes obviously over-cautious the rest of the game, which is generally a good thing but he needs to find a more optimal balance

i think its better to start out cautious like he is and learn to dial it up versus the other way around, like say geno smith who just chucks it and lets the cards fall where they may. i think your team has a better chance to win with a qb that gets like 22 TDs and 9 INTs than a guy who gets like 32 TDs but 19 INTs. get the ball down the field safely during non-crunch time and let your running game and defense finish the job

DynaPaul
01-10-2014, 03:57 PM
If Chris Brown is selling it then buyer beware!

Generalissimus Gibby
01-10-2014, 04:02 PM
clutch qbs have a high winning percentage. How many games did he win?

Yasgur's Farm
01-10-2014, 05:01 PM
clutch qbs have a high winning percentage. How many games did he win?Well...
He won 4 of 10...
He had the Patriots on he ropes game 1...
He got us back in the game the 1st go around with the Jets...
He had the Browns game under control...
He had the Atlanta game won twice...
He realistically could have been 7 and 3 or even 8 and 2.

better days
01-10-2014, 05:09 PM
:up:

We need a franchise qb who doesn't have to put the D in a position to win it in the 4th qtr.

The Pats* Defense has to put Brady in position to win games LATE ALL THE TIME.

stuckincincy
01-11-2014, 05:31 AM
If Chris Brown is selling it then buyer beware! :chuckle:

DraftBoy
01-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Tim Graham of the Buffalo News took this to task pretty well last night…

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/01/10/bills-say-ej-manuel-clutch-factor-lets-take-closer-look/

I can keep an open mind about stuff.

This blog post will be an exercise in going through the process of figuring out whether selected data should change my opinion about EJ Manuel's rookie season.

BuffaloBills.com writer Chris Brown posted a story today with the headline "Manuel's play late in halves & games shows clutch factor." The team tweeted a link to the item with a triumphant photo of Manuel and the hash tag "#clutch factor."

better days
01-11-2014, 09:53 AM

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/01/10/bills-say-ej-manuel-clutch-factor-lets-take-closer-look/

Tim Graham said what every rational person on this board has been saying.

It is too early to know how EJ will turn out after only 10 games played.

Goobylal
01-11-2014, 10:21 AM
I saw more good than bad from EJ. And considering the time he missed with injuries, having no dedicated QB coach and a rookie OC, not to mention just 2 good players on the OL, a weak stable of WR's, and RB's that failed to gain appreciable yards on first down, I don't know how anyone can say EJ is a bust already.

Night Train
01-11-2014, 11:23 AM

He should.

The Bust crowd is an extreme view in one direction, as is calling Manuel clutch...when he still has tons to prove.

As always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

alohabillsfan
01-11-2014, 09:01 PM
He does pretty good at clutching the clipboard