Phillip Rivers

Ryan Tannehill

Joe Flacco

Ben Roethlisberger

Geno Smith

Matthew Stafford

Eli Manning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_quarterbacks_win_loss_records

Is it any surprise that the 8 remaining teams all have QB's that have started every game this year?

If your team's quarterback gets hurt, your team doesn't make the playoffs.

If your team's quarterback stays healthy for all 16 games, your team has a very good chance of making the playoffs.

EJ Manuel can't get injured next year, not even once because the numbers above spell playoff doom.

Is Manuel 1 injury away from being a bust? Depends on how well he plays next year, and for how long he can stay healthy.

Oaf
01-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I mean, it's about 50%. But only about 50% of teams kept their QB healthy for 16 games. So we're staring at a quarter chance, which still means we should have made it in the last decade. Only true ineptitude could beat this.

WagonCircler
01-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Is Manuel 1 injury away from being a bust?

He was a bust one injury ago.

feldspar
01-11-2014, 10:49 AM
I mean, it's about 50%. But only about 50% of teams kept their QB healthy for 16 games. So we're staring at a quarter chance, which still means we should have made it in the last decade. Only true ineptitude could beat this.

Gotta keep in mind that some of those guys got benched and didn't necessary lose time to injury. Some were benched permanently. Some were slightly hurt and then got benched permanently.

I can't think of too many teams that didn't make the playoffs BECAUSE their quarterback got hurt. You might make a case for Tony Romo missing the last game, but I wouldn't personally go there. Jay Cutler got hurt, but McCown may have played even better. Those are the only two I can think of, and they're both a huge stretch at best. Aaron Rodgers missed a bunch of time, but the Packers DID make the playoffs...all I can say is that perhaps they'd have landed a better seed.

By the way, Matt Ryan started every game this year too.

I mean, besides the Cowboys and Bears and Packers, who I already talked about, we are talking about these teams:
Bills
Eagles
Redskins
Texans
Jaguars
Bucs
Titans
Browns
Vikings
Raiders
Rams

I won't waste my time going through what happened at the quarterback position with all of these teams, but it generally wasn't pretty, and these teams had no real shot at the playoffs WITH their healthy starter playing all the games. We aren't generally talking about very good quarterbacks, either. The exception is the Eagles, who actually got LUCKY their starter got hurt...probably a good part of the reason they DID make the playoffs.

Novacane
01-11-2014, 11:17 AM
We're the one team that may have a better chance at the playoffs if our starter does get injured

Night Train
01-11-2014, 11:21 AM
You obviously didn't see Reich filling in for Kelly 20 years back and the team kept rolling. I'm guessing a stud RB and some stars on D had something to do with that. It's called a TEAM.

feldspar
01-11-2014, 01:08 PM
You obviously didn't see Reich filling in for Kelly 20 years back and the team kept rolling. I'm guessing a stud RB and some stars on D had something to do with that. It's called a TEAM.

C'mon now. Reich only started a handful of games in Buffalo, and only a few that REALLY mattered. He didn't even play all that much at all. He was elevated to legendary status among Bills fans for the comeback vs. the Oilers, and not much else if you look at what he actually did in the big picture.

A franchise QB is the thing that makes all the difference.

EricStratton
01-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Alex Smith shouldn't be on that list

YardRat
01-11-2014, 07:53 PM
C'mon now. Reich only started a handful of games in Buffalo, and only a few that REALLY mattered. He didn't even play all that much at all. He was elevated to legendary status among Bills fans for the comeback vs. the Oilers, and not much else if you look at what he actually did in the big picture.

A franchise QB is the thing that makes all the difference.

If that were the case, Jim Kelly would be sportin' a ring, not Jeff Hostetler. Or Mark Rypien.

Skooby
01-11-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm still on the strive for 5.

feldspar
01-12-2014, 07:27 AM
If that were the case, Jim Kelly would be sportin' a ring, not Jeff Hostetler. Or Mark Rypien.

If that WASN'T the case, you wouldn't have to go back 23 years or so to find ways to be ridiculously argumentative.

YardRat
01-12-2014, 08:03 AM
If that WASN'T the case, you wouldn't have to go back 23 years or so to find ways to be ridiculously argumentative.

Oh, I can go back much farther than that.

The entire history of the Super Bowl is over-flowing with average, pedestrian, slightly above average QB's that won championships because of their running game and defense. Hell, even the HOFers like Manning and Brady were carried to their rings by the rest of the team. 47 Super Bowls, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a half-dozen that you can definitively say the QB was the biggest factor in the championship.

feldspar
01-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Oh, I can go back much farther than that.

The entire history of the Super Bowl is over-flowing with average, pedestrian, slightly above average QB's that won championships because of their running game and defense. Hell, even the HOFers like Manning and Brady were carried to their rings by the rest of the team. 47 Super Bowls, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a half-dozen that you can definitively say the QB was the biggest factor in the championship.

Are you trying to deny that this is a quarterback driven league, especially NOW with all of the rule changes that favor the passing game?

Even historically, you have this:

23 Super Bowl winners had Hall of Fame quarterbacks playing for them.
Then you have AT LEAST 5 more Super Bowl winners that definitely WILL be Hall of Famers (Manning, Brady, and Favre).

So that's 28 sure-fire Hall of Famers quarterbacking Super Bowl winners out of 47 games...which is around 60%

Then you have guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or even Kurt Warner that could make it to the Hall. They were/are elite players IMO.

If you look at the rest of the guys, most were very good quarterbacks or at least had very good years:
Ken Stabler
Jim Plunkett
Joe Theismann
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Doug Williams
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning
Joe Flacco

You can find a needle in the haystack here, but you'd be talking about the exception rather than the rule.

You cannot win consistently in this league without quality play from the quarterback, for one thing. We are talking about the most important position in all sports, hands down. You gotta make it to the big dance in the first place, and you can't consistently compete to do that with poor quarterback play, and I don't think you can say that about ANY other position, generally.

gebobs
01-13-2014, 09:36 AM
The entire history of the Super Bowl is over-flowing with average, pedestrian, slightly above average QB's that won championships because of their running game and defense.

Tier I putzes: Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

Tier II: Simms, Williams, Hostetler, Rypien, Warner.

Not exactly overflowing.

Pinkerton Security
01-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Tier I putzes: Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

Tier II: Simms, Williams, Hostetler, Rypien, Warner.

Not exactly overflowing.

I would hardly call Simms, Rypien and Warner putzes, which makes your point even more emphatic.

Beebe's Kid
01-13-2014, 12:32 PM
It turns out that injuries are not really the QB's fault. It is dangerous to run around with a bunch of roided out freaks trying to injure you.

gebobs
01-13-2014, 01:39 PM
I would hardly call Simms, Rypien and Warner putzes, which makes your point even more emphatic.
Heh...that's why I deleted "putz" from Tier II before I posted. I initially wrote "Tier II putzes" but decided to temper that though I suppose the way it ended up was not clear.

Rypien was a flash in the pan and had that one glorious year in which he could do no wrong. Otherwise, his career was rather unremarkable. Definitely borderline putz.

We all know about Warner. 28-year-old rookie leads the Rams to the SB, gets knocked out in the first round the next year, follows that up with a conference championship, seemingly fizzles out and then leads Arizona to consecutive playoffs including another trip to the show nearly 10 years after entering the league. Not a putz but wildly inconsistent throughout his career perhaps owing in part to not having been noticed for several years.

I'd be willing to elevate Hostetler to Tier I putz. Thank you, Walt Corey.

Mike13
01-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Alex Smith shouldn't be on that list

Hell, logically Ryan Tannehill's status should have been DNP: DEAD, playing behind that OL.