PDA

View Full Version : Jump starting the pass game

justasportsfan
01-13-2014, 09:54 AM
The Bills passing game took a back seat to Buffalo's top 3 rushing attack in 2013, but Doug Marrone and Nathaniel Hackett are already formulating plans for that to change in 2014.

As Marrone and offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett saw it the run game was something they had to depend on as their young quarterback made progress through the season. Unfortunately Manuel’s injuries curtailed his progress and the plan to expand the variety of the offense as the season wore on, particularly on first down, never materialized.

That expansion will now begin to take shape in the offseason.

“As we move forward our passing game was not where we wanted it to be, but as we get going and we continue with the running game, and build our passing game with the play action we would like to be able to take more shots, throw it more on first down and become more productive from the standpoint of scoring,” said Marrone. “Make no mistake you have to have a better ratio than what we had.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Jump-starting-the-pass-game/80a864af-c5c2-4759-b1a4-4a7d302b172e

better days
01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Make no mistake, you have a better chance to score when the special teams keeps the field long for the opposing team & short for the Bills.

FIRE Crossman.

The Jokeman
01-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Make no mistake, you have a better chance to score when the special teams keeps the field long for the opposing team & short for the Bills.

FIRE Crossman.

I'll agree our ST has been worse then in years past but you know what? We have a similar record as we had then which tells me that in the grand scheme of things ST doesn't play as vital as a role as many Bills fans like to claim it does. I think we all remember the days of Steve Tasker and what he did and while it's nice to credit him for some of the results truth be told he was part of a greater team and in the end of the day the total team not just the special teams are what ultimately win and lose games.

better days
01-14-2014, 06:15 PM
I'll agree our ST has been worse then in years past but you know what? We have a similar record as we had then which tells me that in the grand scheme of things ST doesn't play as vital as a role as many Bills fans like to claim it does. I think we all remember the days of Steve Tasker and what he did and while it's nice to credit him for some of the results truth be told he was part of a greater team and in the end of the day the total team not just the special teams are what ultimately win and lose games.

The fact the records are the same does not mean special teams did not help win games in the past.

Defense won games this year. Last year it was special teams that won games NOT defense.

IF the Special teams were good this past year, the Bills would have won more than 6 games.

The Jokeman
01-14-2014, 06:35 PM
The fact the records are the same does not mean special teams did not help win games in the past.

Defense won games this year. Last year it was special teams that won games NOT defense.

IF the Special teams were good this past year, the Bills would have won more than 6 games.

It may have won or at least made games closer like the finale against New England but to say 100% certain that a better ST would means we'd have more wins is debatable. Honestly I think as good as the D was last year it could be better before I'd call it dominating on a regular basis. So let's make it better by keeping Byrd, adding another 3 down LB and bring in a veteran nickel/dime DB and we might turn another page tomorrow. Yet we also need to focus on improving the O as well to think we're going to be playoff contenders. I think we can be but ultimately I'd worry more about fixing the O and D before the ST as to me ST in the grand scheme of things isn't as vital as we sometimes make them out to be.

lmcshadow
01-14-2014, 08:08 PM
EJ needs a mentor not Buddy Hackett.

better days
01-14-2014, 08:27 PM
It may have won or at least made games closer like the finale against New England but to say 100% certain that a better ST would means we'd have more wins is debatable. Honestly I think as good as the D was last year it could be better before I'd call it dominating on a regular basis. So let's make it better by keeping Byrd, adding another 3 down LB and bring in a veteran nickel/dime DB and we might turn another page tomorrow. Yet we also need to focus on improving the O as well to think we're going to be playoff contenders. I think we can be but ultimately I'd worry more about fixing the O and D before the ST as to me ST in the grand scheme of things isn't as vital as we sometimes make them out to be.

I am with you we can't stand pat on defense, but Robey is a GREAT nickle back. I am all for keeping Byrd. Would love to see Spikes added to the LB corp.

Now Marrone just has to fire Crossman.

Oaf
01-14-2014, 11:10 PM
We lost the Cin game due to ST.

BuffaloRedleg
01-14-2014, 11:53 PM
I see the Buffalonews Bills puff pieces are starting early this year.

Oaf
01-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Seriously?

'“We have so many weapons on the offense it’s just crazy from what we had in previous years.”

Spiller is right. ...'