PDA

View Full Version : Under The Draft Radar: Georgia QB, Aaron Murray

BillsImpossible
01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
Like LSU's quarterback Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray sustained a college career ending knee injury that will have a big impact on where he gets selected in the 2014 NFL draft.

Murray doesn't have prototypical size, he's only 6-1 208 lbs, but he has a cannon for an arm and what I noticed most about this highlight film below after watching it for the first time was his accuracy, strong arm, vision, accuracy, how quickly he threw the ball, and more accuracy.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/480210/aaron-murray

Overall completion percentages for the past two years was 65% against serious competition.

Murray reminds me of the type of quarterback that can drop the ball in a bucket 40 yards away on a consistent basis.

He's mostly a pocket passer, but the kid can run too. He can also throw the ball on the run, accurately.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/piAUVTjOIgU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't want the Bills to draft a quarterback in the first three rounds. I do want them to draft a quarterback in the 4th or 5th rounds.

If Mettenberger or Murray are still on the board come round 4 or 5, I hope somebody in the Bills draft bunker has the nuts to do what's right just in case their number 1 draft pick from 2013 doesn't pan out.

EricStratton
01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Both of the QB's you've mentioned will have to prove to be physically sound. Neither was a can't miss guy before the injury so they have a lot to show now.

BillsImpossible
01-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Both of the QB's you've mentioned will have to prove to be physically sound. Neither was a can't miss guy before the injury so they have a lot to show now.

ACL injuries aren't what they used to be. Before their injuries, both QB's would have been drafted no later than round 3. If they both had stellar Bowl games, round 2 at the latest.

The Bills need a backup plan to EJ Manuel. If he fails in 2014, it's back to square one without a backup plan.

My idea is to draft either Mettenberger or Murray in the 4th or 5th rounds, let them get healthy, ride the pine, learn the system and groom a young would be 1st or 2nd round talent QB for 2015 just in case EJ doesn't work out, or Thad Lewis gets injured.

BuffaloRedleg
01-13-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm all for Murray/Mett in the 3rd. Let's not get cute and draft a speedy WR who does virtually nothing on the field. The potential upside on these guys is vast, way more than you would typically get out of most of your 3rd round picks. I've never heard of a franchise changing 3rd round QB, but I can think of more than a few QBs who've fallen that far and have changed the face of their teams.

K-Gun
01-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Bortles is the money QB in this draft. We won't take him at 9 though, and will regert it like passing on Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady ect.

GvilleBills
01-14-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm all for Murray/Mett in the 3rd. Let's not get cute and draft a speedy WR who does virtually nothing on the field. The potential upside on these guys is vast, way more than you would typically get out of most of your 3rd round picks. I've never heard of a franchise changing 3rd round QB, but I can think of more than a few QBs who've fallen that far and have changed the face of their teams.
Agreed, and in that order. Murray/Mettenberger

better days
01-14-2014, 10:06 AM
I would be happy if the Bills got either of those two in the 4th rnd.

Murray would be my first choice as well even though Mettenberger is a bigger guy.

Ironic Murray got his shot at Ga because Mettenberger got kicked out.

DraftBoy
01-14-2014, 10:17 AM
ACL injuries aren't what they used to be. Before their injuries, both QB's would have been drafted no later than round 3. If they both had stellar Bowl games, round 2 at the latest.

Yea that's not actually correct.

GvilleBills
01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
I would be happy if the Bills got either of those two in the 4th rnd.

Murray would be my first choice as well even though Mettenberger is a bigger guy.

Ironic Murray got his shot at Ga because Mettenberger got kicked out.
Yeah, its wild how **** works out sometimes. I started really digging on Murray before he announced he was returning last year, he totally can go the Brees/Wilson "height ain't nothing but a #" route. Hope he goes to the combine for an accurate height, and he'll kill the interviews.
I'd be worried we miss out if we wait til the fourth though, a la Wilson. Seattle knew they wanted him and grabbed him a round earlier than most projections. Wilson was healthy, however.

justasportsfan
01-14-2014, 11:22 AM
watching the video he looks like the Anti-EJ. Will trust his wr's to make a play.

Saratoga Slim
01-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Murray in the 3rd is exactly the type of thing I'd like to see us do. Don't necessarily spend another 1st rounder on a QB, but keep adding some legitimate talent to the position. Like EJ? Fine. But no one will argue that he's a finished product. And until that's the case, don't sit and hope on the QB position.

GvilleBills
01-14-2014, 11:35 AM
watching the video he looks like the Anti-EJ. Will trust his wr's to make a play.

How novel an idea, WR turns and the ball is there. As opposed to EJ waiting for a telegram stating the WR is open, then still needs to confirm it with the post play picture.

justasportsfan
01-14-2014, 11:49 AM
How novel an idea, WR turns and the ball is there. As opposed to EJ waiting for a telegram stating the WR is open, then still needs to confirm it with the post play picture.

Goodwin and Graham would love Murray.

Bill Cody
01-14-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm a Ga fan so I've seen most of Murray's games

Murray is a more experienced QB than EJ right now, 4 year starter at GA. Things I like about him: well seasoned in the best conference in college football, played in a pro style offense, smart, poised, good arm, accurate, pretty mobile. Things I'm not as high about him: not ideal size, may not hold up to the pounding in the NFL, tends to force passes under pressure. Overall I'd be on board in the 3rd or 4th round.

better days
01-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Goodwin and Graham would love Murray.

So would Stevie.

better days
01-14-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm a Ga fan so I've seen most of Murray's games

Murray is a more experienced QB than EJ right now, 4 year starter at GA. Things I like about him: well seasoned in the best conference in college football, played in a pro style offense, smart, poised, good arm, accurate, pretty mobile. Things I'm not as high about him: not ideal size, may not hold up to the pounding in the NFL, tends to force passes under pressure. Overall I'd be on board in the 3rd or 4th round.

Yeah, Murry is smaller for a QB, But look at Flutie, he played a lot of years in the NFL & CFL without getting really hurt.

Russell Wilson seems to be holding up pretty good as well.

The last buffalo fan
01-14-2014, 06:06 PM
As a NFL scout I love the wide receivers too!

YardRat
01-14-2014, 08:04 PM
I'd be really good with EJ, Lewis and either Mett or Murray on the roster next season.

Bill Cody
01-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Yeah, Murry is smaller for a QB, But look at Flutie, he played a lot of years in the NFL & CFL without getting really hurt.

Russell Wilson seems to be holding up pretty good as well.

It could work, that's why I'm on board. He'd need to get stronger and that's certainly possible, maybe even likely. I'm not really bothered by his height, he just isn't your ideal build for a QB. He's much more of a pocket passer than Flutie or Wilson which is why it worries me some. But hey Drew Brees is headed for the Hall so it's not necessarily a deal killer. Having said that he can run for a 1st down and has decent speed. He's certainly a great kid. It's not like we'd be drafting an arrogant dick like JP Losman or something.

Buckets
01-15-2014, 09:59 AM
I like GA's OC those WR's were mostly wide open, not to take anything away from the personnel.

gebobs
01-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Murray has a laser arm.

Bill Cody
01-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Murray has a laser arm.

Not to quibble but I'd say it's very good. Matt Stafford was laser. But Aaron can make all the throws.

stuckincincy
01-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Not to quibble but I'd say it's very good. Matt Stafford was laser. But Aaron can make all the throws.

What's your take on the Bulldog's TE Lynch?

gebobs
01-15-2014, 04:03 PM

Huge drop to seal the loss in the Gator Bowl.

Then there was the screen pass that he dropped against Florida (http://gamedayr.com/sports/gif-heres-lateral-fumble-gave-florida-momentum-vs-georgia/#). Rather than jump on the ball in case it was a lateral, he fell to his knees in dismay as Leon Orr picked it up and returned the ball inside the Georgia 15 sparking a run of 17 points that nearly blew Georgia's huge lead at the time.

Looks like he's projected for Rond 3.

Mace
01-15-2014, 07:51 PM
I really like Murray but his future is not here, we already have QB prospects and need a QB coach. Blow money on him sure as UDFA, but this is so not the time to waste a draft pick.

Typ0
01-15-2014, 09:03 PM
I highly doubt we use a 3rd round pick on a QB to sit on the bench. If there is a QB they want in this draft they will take him in the 1st or be so astonished he fell to them in the 2nd they have to pick him. This staff is looking for players they can put on the field to help win some ball games.

better days
01-15-2014, 09:09 PM
I highly doubt we use a 3rd round pick on a QB to sit on the bench. If there is a QB they want in this draft they will take him in the 1st or be so astonished he fell to them in the 2nd they have to pick him. This staff is looking for players they can put on the field to help win some ball games.

If Murray were to fall to the 4th rnd, I would love to see the Bills draft him.

Mace
01-15-2014, 09:17 PM
If Murray were to fall to the 4th rnd, I would love to see the Bills draft him.

I'd really rather see them taking linemen in there, db depth, te prospects, or physically big wr candidates. We already have 3 prospects and no QB coach, and those 3 have exp in an offense that isn't going to change.

So get another one and maybe 2015 ?

No.

better days
01-15-2014, 09:53 PM
I'd really rather see them taking linemen in there, db depth, te prospects, or physically big wr candidates. We already have 3 prospects and no QB coach, and those 3 have exp in an offense that isn't going to change.

No.

If the Bills could get Murray in the 4th rnd, I think he would be a better addition than any position player at that draft spot.

He should be at the least a better back up to EJ than any QB now on the roster. Let Murry, Thad & Tuel fight it out in camp, loser goes home.

Mace
01-15-2014, 09:59 PM
If the Bills could get Murray in the 4th rnd, I think he would be a better addition than any position player at that draft spot.

He should be at the least a better back up to EJ than any QB now on the roster. Let Murry, Thad & Tuel fight it out in camp, loser goes home.

He'd probably be a better tight end too. Look for lines in the middle rounds though. Thad might end up being the starter.

gebobs
01-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Murray is head and shoulders above those guys. The better fight would be between EJ and Murray and I think Murray would win that going away.

Bill Cody
01-16-2014, 09:10 AM

Well he's not Jimmy Graham.:D: He'd have some good games and then disapear in others. Generally good hands. Not a serious downfield threat, speed is just average. He has good size but have not seen him noted for his blocking. I expect he'd be JAG in the pros.

Bill Cody
01-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Murray is head and shoulders above those guys. The better fight would be between EJ and Murray and I think Murray would win that going away.

I think it would be a very interesting matchup between EJ and Aaron. Aaron was the more accomplished player in college that's definetely true. There are some moving parts here though. EJ might get better, maybe a lot better. I've been watching the game a long time. It's too soon to say what we have in EJ, he was very raw coming out of college, that's just a fact. But drafting Aaron Murray would most definetely get EJ's attention. I like the idea. I think EJ would handle that the way you'd hope- he'll work even harder. And despite Aaron's experience, Georgia ain't the NFL so there'd be a transition for him too. I think it would make for a very interesting and entertaining competition and it really could go either way depending mostly on EJ's progress or lack thereof. QB competitions are always a worry because it can divide a team. But those 2 guys are not dividers so I'm in.

Bill Cody
01-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Despite the knee injury my guess is Murray goes in round 3. But who really knows.

Bill Cody
01-16-2014, 10:08 AM

No.

How much is a starting QB in the NFL worth? We might have one, we might not. Even if we do he's having trouble staying on the field. Thad and Tuel will never be NFL starters. Ever. Aaron Murray might be though. And if he's not and EJ's not? Do you say next year we've got all these QB's and used high picks 2 years in a row so we take a backup lineman instead? Um....no. Tough to win a car race without an engine. You keep trying until you get it right. I'm all for giving EJ more time but Thad and Tuel are not a suitable plan B if he fails. That's it in a nutshell.

GvilleBills
01-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Which is why they won't draft him. God forbid KneeJ face some legit competition for the starting gig.

DraftBoy
01-16-2014, 10:53 AM
I see Murray going in closer to Round 4 or 5 and I'd pass. Kid is a hell of a gamer but he's limited physically and while he's got plenty of arm his deep ball does flutter a lot.

justasportsfan
01-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Where would he have been drafted last year?Is he even any better than Tyler Wilson, Barkley, Glennon?

DraftBoy
01-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Where would he have been drafted last year?Is he even any better than Tyler Wilson, Barkley, Glennon?

Probably on par with Barkley skill set wise. The issue for Murray last year was that he couldn't win the big games for UGA. He did that this year and answered that question. His knee injury will hurt him a lot I think and his physical skill set is what it is. I just don't see NFL starter out of him.

justasportsfan
01-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Probably on par with Barkley skill set wise. The issue for Murray last year was that he couldn't win the big games for UGA. He did that this year and answered that question. His knee injury will hurt him a lot I think and his physical skill set is what it is. I just don't see NFL starter out of him.

thanks, then I guess the bills would rather wait for Nassib to get cut by the giants.

DraftBoy
01-16-2014, 11:14 AM
thanks, then I guess the bills would rather wait for Nassib to get cut by the giants.

Hahaha, maybe.

I think they go with a late round QB with high upside. Jeff Matthews whose playing in this weeks Shrine Game has good size, and a big arm. He needs time coming out of Cornell but he's an option.

justasportsfan
01-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Hahaha, maybe.

I think they go with a late round QB with high upside. Jeff Matthews whose playing in this weeks Shrine Game has good size, and a big arm. He needs time coming out of Cornell but he's an option.

I'd be surprised if they do that. They already have Tuel who until now hasn't been cut. I believe they think they could develop Tuel into a back-up.

gebobs
01-16-2014, 01:08 PM
I'd be surprised if they do that. They already have Tuel who until now hasn't been cut. I believe they think they could develop Tuel into a back-up.

If someone in authority with the Bills told me that with a straight face, I would throw my hands up in the air and just give up.

justasportsfan
01-17-2014, 12:43 PM
If someone in authority with the Bills told me that with a straight face, I would throw my hands up in the air and just give up.

you still need someone to say that to you when they dropped Flynn in favor of Tuel? Lets not forget that prior to EJ getting injured Tuel was already the no.2 .

stuckincincy
01-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Like LSU's quarterback Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray sustained a college career ending knee injury that will have a big impact on where he gets selected in the 2014 NFL draft.

Murray doesn't have prototypical size, he's only 6-1 208 lbs, but he has a cannon for an arm and what I noticed most about this highlight film below after watching it for the first time was his accuracy, strong arm, vision, accuracy, how quickly he threw the ball, and more accuracy.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/480210/aaron-murray

CIN might be interested. They have 6 Bulldogs on their roster already, and the back-up is Jay Gruden's pull toy, Josh Johnson.

Overall completion percentages for the past two years was 65% against serious competition.

Murray reminds me of the type of quarterback that can drop the ball in a bucket 40 yards away on a consistent basis.

He's mostly a pocket passer, but the kid can run too. He can also throw the ball on the run, accurately.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/piAUVTjOIgU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't want the Bills to draft a quarterback in the first three rounds. I do want them to draft a quarterback in the 4th or 5th rounds.

If Mettenberger or Murray are still on the board come round 4 or 5, I hope somebody in the Bills draft bunker has the nuts to do what's right just in case their number 1 draft pick from 2013 doesn't pan out.

stuckincincy
01-22-2014, 01:25 PM
CIN might have an interest. They have 6 Bulldogs on their roster (WR Green, LG Bolling, DT Atkinns notably), and with Jay Gruden (finally) leaving, I assume he will take his pull toy with him, qb Josh Johnson.