PDA

View Full Version : Pettine interviewing for the Browns HC

DBrown77
01-15-2014, 05:19 PM
It would suck if we lost him after only one year!

BillsFever21
01-15-2014, 05:31 PM
The only way he gets the job is if nobody else wants it. There are many other more established coordinators or college HC's out there. I'm sure people isn't lining up to work for the Browns though.

Night Train
01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
It would suck if we lost him after only one year!

Chuck Lester is waiting for the call !

better days
01-15-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm sure people isn't lining up to work for the Browns though.

Yeah, who would want a job as a HC in the NFL, they are a dime a dozen.

Meathead
01-15-2014, 05:47 PM
dave wannstedt is available

BillsFever21
01-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Yeah, who would want a job as a HC in the NFL, they are a dime a dozen.

You see many times with highly sought after coaches who turn down HC opportunities with crappy ran franchises. They would rather wait another year for a better opportunity and situation. It wouldn't be the first time. All you need to do is look at the Bills for the evidence.

Coaches that doesn't have people knocking down the door will take a HC job the first chance they get. Other coaches that many teams are after and want to speak to will many times wait until the right team comes along instead of accepting the job with a franchise with a long history of blunders and quick coaching changes like the Browns. Hell even candidates they already interviewed were calling their recently fired coach and asking them about the organization.

There is a reason why they are the only team left without hiring a HC yet. It's either because they are waiting for one of the playoff teams to lose to get their coach, they didn't like any other candidates they interviewed or the ones they did just didn't want their job.

K-Gun
01-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Pettine seems much smarter, better organized and more decisive than Marrone. It would suck to lose him.

YardRat
01-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Hopefully the Browns are just doing busy work until their target is eliminated.

RedEyE
01-15-2014, 08:20 PM
This team needs some consistency. Highest sacking defense in the league in one year. I was hoping to see what Pettine could over in the next two seasons. It will suck for the team if he moves on.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-15-2014, 08:50 PM
This team needs some consistency. Highest sacking defense in the league in one year. I was hoping to see what Pettine could over in the next two seasons. It will suck for the team if he moves on.

we were number 2. carolina had 60. we had 57. but still good nonetheless

Downinfloflo
01-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Pettine leaving would be a huge blow to morale on the Bills defense,And another reason for Byrd to hold out.

Mace
01-15-2014, 09:29 PM
I interviewed for the Browns job too, passed Lombardi a napkin when he got Big Mac on his tie. You can too, just fax them your resume. Only one person will be so dumb to take it, and it won't be Pettine, won't be me either, I passed Lombardi the McDonald's napkin not the silk Browns logo one. Buzzers went off and lights flashed, Banner validated my parking and said "was the napkin, sorry".

BillsFever21
01-15-2014, 10:33 PM
If people were jumping for the Browns job then it would be filled by now. Their owner has accusations of shady business practices outside of football, their ownership and front office is a mess and they have proven to be a mess for years now. They haven't proven they have their crap together to turn it around anytime soon either.

Whoever takes the job won't be their top several choices and will be somebody that is happy just to get the opportunity. Kind of like when we hired Chan Gailey. He was just happy somebody offered him another job. Pettine hasn't had any other interviews this season so that shows they are starting down the B and C list of candidates now. If he happens to be offered the job and accepts it then good for him and good luck for him.

Somebody who knows they can find a better organization and will get another shot will wait until next year and see what openings are available then. Somebody who is afraid they may not get another chance anytime soon will take the Browns job. They are kind of like the Raiders with HC's and there is a reason they keep getting a bunch of nobodies that end up getting fired every 1-3 years at the most.

Skooby
01-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Romeo is ready!!

stuckincincy
01-16-2014, 04:54 AM
Blurb about the Brown's HC search:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24409757/haslam-on-browns-search-we-have-been-methodical-in-our-approach

X-Era
01-16-2014, 05:13 AM
Blurb about the Brown's HC search:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24409757/haslam-on-browns-search-we-have-been-methodical-in-our-approachSo no one wants it, they're running out of candidates, and Pettine is interviewing.

Not good. This has me worried.

I just read in the rumor section of ESPN that the Browns are waiting for Broncos OC Adam Gase.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/

Pinkerton Security
01-16-2014, 06:55 AM
So no one wants it, they're running out of candidates, and Pettine is interviewing.

I just read in the rumor section of ESPN that the Browns are waiting for Broncos OC Adam Gase.

I read this on another site as well. He was the first person they contacted and is believed to be their #1 priority.

kishoph
01-16-2014, 07:31 AM
So no one wants it, they're running out of candidates, and Pettine is interviewing.

This is the same thing I have heard (read). There have been a few who have turned down the job already, so I'm afraid that they may not take the chance on waiting for Gase (which could still be weeks away) and just grab whoever will take the job.

gr8slayer
01-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Well, everyone else keeps turning down the Browns' "opportunity", I wouldn't be shocked if he did the same.

EDS
01-16-2014, 08:39 AM
You see many times with highly sought after coaches who turn down HC opportunities with crappy ran franchises. They would rather wait another year for a better opportunity and situation. It wouldn't be the first time. All you need to do is look at the Bills for the evidence.

Coaches that doesn't have people knocking down the door will take a HC job the first chance they get. Other coaches that many teams are after and want to speak to will many times wait until the right team comes along instead of accepting the job with a franchise with a long history of blunders and quick coaching changes like the Browns. Hell even candidates they already interviewed were calling their recently fired coach and asking them about the organization.

There is a reason why they are the only team left without hiring a HC yet. It's either because they are waiting for one of the playoff teams to lose to get their coach, they didn't like any other candidates they interviewed or the ones they did just didn't want their job.

I think Cleveland will be an attractive opportunity for someone if they are comfortable with ownership. There is some good talent on defense, two terrific young receiving options and they have two first round picks, including 4th overall to score a QB.

Ed
01-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Reports here in Denver are that Adam Gase is the top choice, but a lot of people are doubting he would actually take it. There's no reason for him to settle for the least desirable opportunity like Cleveland when he could have much better options next year. As long as he has Manning as his qb he should continue to just ride that gravy train and build on his experience. Cleveland is a mess right now and set up for failure. Sometimes the "hot" coordinator only gets one shot at a HC gig, so it doesn't make much sense to put yourself in a bad situation if you have the chance at a better situation.

I think Pettine has a good thing going in Buffalo that he can build on. I wouldn't take the Cleveland job if I were him.

justasportsfan
01-16-2014, 10:06 AM
I doubt Pettine gets hired as HC. He doesn't have enough in his portfolio to become one. IMO, this was his first full year with complete control of D unit without Rex RYan holding his hand as some would argue. Who will be his assistants? What proven/high profile coordinators would work under him? Rob Chudzinski had a better portfolio than Pettine.

Not saying he would not succeed but any team that hires him at this point in Pettines career would be stupid. Then again, it's the browns.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-16-2014, 11:10 AM
we were number 2. carolina had 60. we had 57. but still good nonetheless

Stupid Falcons got their dumb asses sacked NINE TIMES in week 17 and Carolina jumped us.

DraftBoy
01-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Stupid Falcons got their dumb asses sacked NINE TIMES in week 17 and Carolina jumped us.

Worst OL in football, I mean absolute disgrace after they paid Ryan all that money.

DynaPaul
01-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Cleveland is a graveyard for new coaches. Pettine would be a fool to take that job. He's better off staying here until a better opportunity opens up in the future.

The Jokeman
01-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Cleveland is a graveyard for new coaches. Pettine would be a fool to take that job. He's better off staying here until a better opportunity opens up in the future.

I have a feeling it was a token interview both for the Browns to show their fans they're still looking for someone and Pettine to at least get his name out there that he wants to be a HC. Again doubtful he leaves this offseason but if our D plays better next year and we do make the playoffs in 2014 things might be different this time next year.

trapezeus
01-16-2014, 04:48 PM
perhaps we can call mike mularkey and have him advise pettine. "hey this is mike...i was a hot coordinator. i took the gig and now no one will ever look at me as a serious HC again. my second shot was with the jags who were worse than buffalo."

that being said, he left ny for buffalo for a DC job. i don't think he's worried about historic team perceptions.

Buffalogic
01-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Nobody wants the browns job for a reason. Pettine will stay at least one more year.

YardRat
01-16-2014, 04:54 PM
I would hop all over it if given the opportunity.

Mace
01-16-2014, 06:29 PM
I think Pettine has a good thing going in Buffalo that he can build on. I wouldn't take the Cleveland job if I were him.

Same with Gase, unless either of them are dazzled by short-term shinies. Cleveland is sadly destined to get Dick Jauron again, or Mike Mularkey, or Alex Van Pelt until they get rid of Lombardi and Banner and hire a real GM like Matt Millen or Rich Eisen or Rich Millen or Matt Eisen.

better days
01-16-2014, 09:01 PM
perhaps we can call mike mularkey and have him advise pettine. "hey this is mike...i was a hot coordinator. i took the gig and now no one will ever look at me as a serious HC again. my second shot was with the jags who were worse than buffalo."

that being said, he left ny for buffalo for a DC job. i don't think he's worried about historic team perceptions.

Well, in the process, Mularkey made a LOT of money. Too bad he was a terrible HC.

Beebe's Kid
01-17-2014, 01:51 AM
This is amazing.

There are 2 pages of people saying that Pettine would be stupid to take the Browns HC job, because it would be a bad move...

As opposed to being a coordinator in Buffalo?

Holy ****. That is hilarious.

Yeah...why would he want to go to the crappy Browns and run the show, when he can be a DC with a proud franchise like the Buffalo Bills?

Maybe he already knows about EJ's footwork? I am sure he is looking forward to losing Byrd...Pettine wouldn't want a guy that didn't want to be in Buffalo here. He would "WANT THEM GONE NOW."

I thank you guys. I couldn't believe reading the through the comments. I was shocked. I needed a laugh, and this provided it. I am sure there are very good reasons for thinking that working under Marrone in Buffalo is a fantastic idea, but he could get his ass fired next year...the Bills sort of have a history of rebuilding. And he won't go from the unemployment line to HC.

****. Buffalo should promote him. Who the hell is Marrone? At least Pettine has been in the league and actually showed that he might be worth keeping around...who the hell else did that this season?

Beebe's Kid
01-17-2014, 01:55 AM
Marrone has been in the league, I guess, but Pettine looks like he is better at it to me...I don't know how many points coaches progress in an off-season, but I would think that Marrone's potential rating is in the 70s and Pettine is in the 80s.

I think that we would automatically gain a +2 for EJ's accuracy attributes as well. We could use that, because his 60 rating should be about 70 after we improve the footwork, and with the extra points, we should be able to complete the slant to Stevie, if the computer is in man.

X-Era
01-17-2014, 05:51 AM
The rumor out there is that his daughter tweeted that Mike now has a second interview with the Browns. The interview went well.

It's a rumor. The account has since been deleted.

stuckincincy
01-17-2014, 06:20 AM
The rumor out there is that his daughter tweeted that Mike now has a second interview with the Browns. The interview went well.

It's a rumor. The account has since been deleted.

Heh - HC searches ought to be on that "American Idol" tv show. :bravo:

trapezeus
01-17-2014, 07:35 AM
and what is russ and company doing to ensure the best part of the team in arguably the last 5 years has its leader and ID changer on their sidelines? presumably absolutely nothing. They are more interested on how to spin the story than to prevent the story from happening.

pettine should get promoted to assistant hc and put pressure on Marrone to keep moving forward. and if marrone isn't significantly better than 6-10 and in the playoffs next year, give pettine control of the team.

sudzy
01-17-2014, 08:05 AM

I wish that was the final resting spot for Belichick's coaching career. But, it wasn't.

MikeInRoch
01-17-2014, 08:34 AM
There are only 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL. No one is waiting for a "better opportunity" if they can grab one of them.

better days
01-17-2014, 08:58 AM
This is amazing.

There are 2 pages of people saying that Pettine would be stupid to take the Browns HC job, because it would be a bad move...

Yeah...why would he want to go to the crappy Browns and run the show, when he can be a DC with a proud franchise like the Buffalo Bills?

Maybe he already knows about EJ's footwork? I am sure he is looking forward to losing Byrd...Pettine wouldn't want a guy that didn't want to be in Buffalo here. He would "WANT THEM GONE NOW."

I thank you guys. I couldn't believe reading the through the comments. I was shocked. I needed a laugh, and this provided it. I am sure there are very good reasons for thinking that working under Marrone in Buffalo is a fantastic idea, but he could get his ass fired next year...the Bills sort of have a history of rebuilding. And he won't go from the unemployment line to HC.

****. Buffalo should promote him. Who the hell is Marrone? At least Pettine has been in the league and actually showed that he might be worth keeping around...who the hell else did that this season?

I said before that if Marrone does not fire Crossman, I would like to see Marrone fired & Pettine made HC.

If Pettine leave for Cleveland the Bills will have a very questionable staff of Coaches under him.

Hackett- a Rookie to the NFL last year.............may do better this year or may not.

Crossman- the WORST Special Teams Coach in the NFL.

BLANK at DC

Meanwhile in Tampa, Lovie Smith has assembled a GREAT Coaching staff.

HAMMER
01-17-2014, 09:06 AM
and what is russ and company doing to ensure the best part of the team in arguably the last 5 years has its leader and ID changer on their sidelines? presumably absolutely nothing. They are more interested on how to spin the story than to prevent the story from happening.
This is ridiculous speculation from Joe Schmo "fan", like you have any idea what is being discussed at OBD regarding the situation. Gimme a break.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Report out of Pittsburgh is that Whisenhunt, the newly named Titans HC, wants to hire Keith Butler, Steeler's Linebacker coach, to be his DC, and the Steelers out-right denied interview request. I guess Butler does not have a clause in his contract allow him to do that outside of Steelers. For a few years now, he's been groomed as LeBeau's replacement, and LeBeau has already said he would be back next year.

better days
01-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Report out of Pittsburgh is that Whisenhunt, the newly named Titans HC, wants to hire Keith Butler, Steeler's Linebacker coach, to be his DC, and the Steelers out-right denied interview request. I guess Butler does not have a clause in his contract allow him to do that outside of Steelers. For a few years now, he's been groomed as LeBeau's replacement, and LeBeau has already said he would be back next year.

Not uncommon for a team to block another team from poaching its Coaches.

The Bucs have done that a number of times & a few times other teams have blocked the Bucs from doing the same.

I think when it comes to a HC position however most teams would allow that to happen.

MikeInRoch
01-17-2014, 09:43 AM
I do not believe that teams are allowed to block coaches from taking a "higher" coaching position.

better days
01-17-2014, 10:03 AM
I do not believe that teams are allowed to block coaches from taking a "higher" coaching position.

Yeah, they are. Unless a Coach has it in his contract he can accept a better job from another team. The Bills could have blocked Pettine, but that is not their philosophy.

GingerP
01-17-2014, 10:26 AM

That isn't true. All assistant coaches, whether coordinators or position coaches, are considered the same. You can't block an assistant from taking a HC opportunity, but you can block a position coach from taking a coordinator job if he is under contract. It doesn't matter if it is a promotion or not, unless it is a HC opportunity you can block any coach under contract from leaving.

GingerP
01-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Yeah, they are. Unless a Coach has it in his contract he can accept a better job from another team. The Bills could have blocked Pettine, but that is not their philosophy.

You can't block an assistant from taking a HC job. However, you can block any assistant under contract from taking another assistant job even if it as a coordinator and assistant HC. All assistants are considered the same level.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-17-2014, 10:43 AM
You can't block an assistant from taking a HC job. However, you can block any assistant under contract from taking another assistant job even if it as a coordinator and assistant HC. All assistants are considered the same level.

I believe you can block anything you want as long as it does not violate the contract between the team and the individual. I think Belichick went to NE was initially blocked, though he might be named Jets HC for one day.

Typically it is the team's reputation suffers as potential confident coordinators may not want to sign any long term deals with the team. More often than not, they have a clause written for that case. It is less common for lower level assistent coaches, but again, it is the HC's reputation to suffer should he blocks advancement of his helper's career.

In the Steelers' case, it is almost a given that had they given Butler's permission to interview, he's gone since Whisenhunt knows him well.

Typically it is the brand name to suffer if you block someone from seeking a HC job

GingerP
01-17-2014, 11:18 AM
I believe you can block anything you want as long as it does not violate the contract between the team and the individual. I think Belichick went to NE was initially blocked, though he might be named Jets HC for one day.

Typically it is the team's reputation suffers as potential confident coordinators may not want to sign any long term deals with the team. More often than not, they have a clause written for that case. It is less common for lower level assistent coaches, but again, it is the HC's reputation to suffer should he blocks advancement of his helper's career.

In the Steelers' case, it is almost a given that had they given Butler's permission to interview, he's gone since Whisenhunt knows him well.

Typically it is the brand name to suffer if you block someone from seeking a HC job

Belichick was blocked because he was HC of the Jets, and they held his rights. He wasn't an assistant. You can't block an assistant from taking a HC job. The rules for assistants were actually different back then, you couldn't block an assistant from taking a promotion. That changed a few years ago.

Teams can block assistants under contract from taking another assistant job, even if is to take a higher position like coordinator or assistant HC. Teams will sometimes allow assistants to leave even if they don't have to, but they also block them often as well.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Belichick was blocked because he was HC of the Jets, and they held his rights. He wasn't an assistant. You can't block an assistant from taking a HC job. The rules for assistants were actually different back then, you couldn't block an assistant from taking a promotion. That changed a few years ago.

I don't recall the details now, but I thought Belichick to Pats was a big mess then. Tuna was Jets HC and Belichick the DC. Then Tuna retired and Belichick wanted to go to the Pats, but the Jets promoted Belichick to the HC and so he quit the Jets. Then Tuna broke the deal between Pats and the Jets. Is that right?

trapezeus
01-17-2014, 11:42 AM
This is ridiculous speculation from Joe Schmo "fan", like you have any idea what is being discussed at OBD regarding the situation. Gimme a break.

i love guys like you that defend a guy with a 14 yr track record of suck. you honestly think they are going to do anything but let him walk?

Give the rest of us a break. your fandom helps them keep putting out a crap product year after year with no signs of improvement. but why take my "schmo" viewpoint. Look back at the glory years when we were 7-9 consistently. now we are 6-10. No stone left unturned.

GingerP
01-17-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't recall the details now, but I thought Belichick to Pats was a big mess then. Tuna was Jets HC and Belichick the DC. Then Tuna retired and Belichick wanted to go to the Pats, but the Jets promoted Belichick to the HC and so he quit the Jets. Then Tuna broke the deal between Pats and the Jets. Is that right?

As I remember it, Leon Hess signed Belichick to a contract for him to be the Jets DC that made him the highest paid assistant in the NFL. As part of the contract, Belichick would become the Jets HC as soon as Parcells retired. Parcells had been talking retirement, and his contract stated he could retire and be the GM while Belichick took over as HC. Belichick had other opportunities to become a head coach, but turned them down based on the agreement.

Then, Leon Hess died, and after the season the Patriots fired Pete Carroll. Reports came out that Bob Kraft was going to push to sign Belichick. Parcells quickly announced his retirement, which made Belichick the HC of the Jets. I think the Pats faxed for permission to interview Belichick the same day, which is why Parcells announced his retirement.

However, Woody Johnson was the new owner of the Jets and Belichick had second thoughts. He didn't know Johnson like he did Hess, and he was worried about what kind of owner he would be. After what he went through in Cleveland with Modell and the team moving his final year, he was wary of having a bad owner and knew if he failed again he might not get another coaching job.

So the day after Parcells retired, Belichick resigned as "HC of the NYJ" in what was supposed to be the press conference to introduce him as HC. People were shocked, and he was destroyed by the New York press. Then he filed a grievance with the NFL saying he wasn't bound to become the Jets HC because he made the agreement with Leon Hess and he was no longer the owner. He lost that grievance, so the Jets held onto his rights by contract and he couldn't coach for anyone else.

Bob Kraft called Parcells (the two fell out after Parcells left NE, but the call led them being friendly again), and worked out a deal where he would release Belichick from his contract in return for the Patriots 1st round pick. Kraft traded the pick and signed Belichick to take over in NE. The rest is history.

HAMMER
01-17-2014, 12:43 PM
i love guys like you that defend a guy with a 14 yr track record of suck. you honestly think they are going to do anything but let him walk?

Give the rest of us a break. your fandom helps them keep putting out a crap product year after year with no signs of improvement. but why take my "schmo" viewpoint. Look back at the glory years when we were 7-9 consistently. now we are 6-10. No stone left unturned.

I'm not defending anyone. Do you have some insight from someone in the FO that you need to share or just throwing schnit at the wall? If he wants to leave to pursue a HC gig in Cleveland he is gone, what could they do to keep him? Do you think any team in the league is going to pay their DC as much as their HC?

feldspar
01-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Mike Pettine to receive second interview according to reports

http://dawgpounddaily.com/2014/01/16/browns-coaching-search-mike-pettine-receive-second-interview-according-reports/

BillsFever21
01-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Hopefully we don't lose Pettine and the Browns look elsewhere. The defense was inconsistent but they were a force at certain times and just need more consistency. I'm looking forward to see what he can do with the defense after a second year in the system and hopefully an upgrade to the LB position. If he did get the job you can bet that a couple of our guys on the defensive staff could easily go with him to be his coordinator or with other promotions. It would suck to start all over again on defense after just one year. If he gets the job then good for him though. If Marrone doesn't work out then Pettine may have been a possible replacement for him in a couple years.

Most teams won't deny their coaches from the opportunity of receiving a promotion. It doesn't set a good precedent with the organization and they also don't want to hold coaches back. It will make it even harder to get good assistants if you have a reputation of preventing them from trying to better themselves. They want to better themselves the same as any other person in a workforce.

With almost every team they won't block their coordinator from interviewing for HC positions. The HC usually knows the feeling and most likely went through that process. With positional coaches you may see that every so often if another team wants to try and hire them as a coordinator.

coastal
01-17-2014, 04:55 PM
If we lose him, say goodbye to a lot of the staff as well.

X-Era
01-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Hopefully we don't lose Pettine and the Browns look elsewhere. The defense was inconsistent but they were a force at certain times and just need more consistency. I'm looking forward to see what he can do with the defense after a second year in the system and hopefully an upgrade to the LB position. If he did get the job you can bet that a couple of our guys on the defensive staff could easily go with him to be his coordinator or with other promotions. It would suck to start all over again on defense after just one year. If he gets the job then good for him though. If Marrone doesn't work out then Pettine may have been a possible replacement for him in a couple years.

Most teams won't deny their coaches from the opportunity of receiving a promotion. It doesn't set a good precedent with the organization and they also don't want to hold coaches back. It will make it even harder to get good assistants if you have a reputation of preventing them from trying to better themselves. They want to better themselves the same as any other person in a workforce.

With almost every team they won't block their coordinator from interviewing for HC positions. The HC usually knows the feeling and most likely went through that process. With positional coaches you may see that every so often if another team wants to try and hire them as a coordinator.
IMO It's the best defense we've had since the Ted Washington or Pat Williams years. I don't want it changing.

I'm real worried about this.

BillsFever21
01-17-2014, 05:12 PM
IMO It's the best defense we've had since the Ted Washington or Pat Williams years. I don't want it changing.

I'm real worried about this.

It's the best attacking defense we've had since Gregg Williams was our HC. They were bad at times but did a good job disrupting plays with sacks and turnovers. Shore up a few positions, get more consistency and experience along with our offense putting them in better positions and they could be much better at keeping points off the board and flipping the field position battle for our team.

Our defense right now is best geared if we were playing with a lead. If our offense could get their crap together and move the ball better and put more points on the board they could force teams into more passing situations then our defense would be even better. They could rear back and pressure the QB more without worrying as much about giving up a big play and needing to try and keep us in the game. Every defense is better in that situation but with the style we played this season it would be ideal if we had a competent offense.

Turf
01-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Losing Pettine would devastate this teams chances for any playoff berth next year. Perpetual rebuilding.

Mace
01-17-2014, 06:44 PM
This is amazing.

Well common sense tells you another year of success and he isn't the 7th interview, 2 more years he gets his pick of teams.

It is sort of hilarious if you don't have a clue about the mess the Browns are in with Haslam, Banner and the flailing Lombardi who may have already decided who they are picking in the draft without a clue of knowing if they'll have a coach or coordinator capable of using him, after booting their supposed handpicked QB'less, RB'less offensive coach after a year, and why are all those zany people removing themselves from consideration and taking assistant jobs instead !

Pettine has a chance to be a prime candidate for a solid franchise with another year or two of making a point. He goes to a mess of a franchise like Cleveland (and even their poor fans know they are a mess), and he'd better hit a major Manziel friendly OC real fast or Lombardi/Banner/Haslam say "whoops, but seriously" again.

Beebe's Kid
01-17-2014, 07:10 PM
If Marrone gets fired, and takes the staff with him, Pettine is not going to get an HC job. Fired coordinators don't get HC jobs. That is not impossible, but it is not how it works. If the Bills fire up the carousel, like they do every three years...Pettine will be looking for a coordinator job.

And I have to laugh, because you talk about me not understanding what bad shape the Browns are in...do you realize what kind of shape the Bills are in? Seriously. Think about that for a second...right before you go defend not signing Byrd, because the team or his agent leaked that he wanted a trade...he wants paid, and your emotional attachment to the team makes you believe crazy things.

Don't fool yourself that the Bills are in any better condition that any other team in the league. EJ is going to be their horse, whether of not he ever wins a race...and he doesn't look like a thoroughbred. They are in a depressed area, which is not getting any better, and their stadium is old...I think it is fine, but does the league?

Revenue. It is all about revenue, which raises the point that Pettine will get a substantial raise. I know that you think you see the opportunity for Pettine if he stays in Buffalo, which I say is BS, but you are ruling out the paycheck, which he and his family will definitely not look over. No matter how emotionally invested you are in the Buffalo Bills.

It's all about the money, Lebowski.

Well common sense tells you another year of success and he isn't the 7th interview, 2 more years he gets his pick of teams.

It is sort of hilarious if you don't have a clue about the mess the Browns are in with Haslam, Banner and the flailing Lombardi who may have already decided who they are picking in the draft without a clue of knowing if they'll have a coach or coordinator capable of using him, after booting their supposed handpicked QB'less, RB'less offensive coach after a year, and why are all those zany people removing themselves from consideration and taking assistant jobs instead !

Pettine has a chance to be a prime candidate for a solid franchise with another year or two of making a point. He goes to a mess of a franchise like Cleveland (and even their poor fans know they are a mess), and he'd better hit a major Manziel friendly OC real fast or Lombardi/Banner/Haslam say "whoops, but seriously" again.

Beebe's Kid
01-17-2014, 07:12 PM
If Pettine is offered that job, he is taking it. Period. He might leave his heart in WNY, but he'll take his skills to Cleveland. That will be okay, because people will be offended anyway, and probably be glad he is gone, because he didn't "want to be in Buffalo."

Beebe's Kid
01-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Loyalty only exists with fans. To the people that are employed, it is a job. When you are going to make millions, you take it. When you get to run the show...you take it. Who in their right mind would turn that down, and who wouldn't think they could turn Cleveland around?

Mace
01-17-2014, 07:22 PM
If Marrone gets fired, and takes the staff with him, Pettine is not going to get an HC job. Fired coordinators don't get HC jobs. That is not impossible, but it is not how it works. If the Bills fire up the carousel, like they do every three years...Pettine will be looking for a coordinator job.

And I have to laugh, because you talk about me not understanding what bad shape the Browns are in...do you realize what kind of shape the Bills are in? Seriously. Think about that for a second...right before you go defend not signing Byrd, because the team or his agent leaked that he wanted a trade...he wants paid, and your emotional attachment to the team makes you believe crazy things.

Don't fool yourself that the Bills are in any better condition that any other team in the league. EJ is going to be their horse, whether of not he ever wins a race...and he doesn't look like a thoroughbred. They are in a depressed area, which is not getting any better, and their stadium is old...I think it is fine, but does the league?

Revenue. It is all about revenue, which raises the point that Pettine will get a substantial raise. I know that you think you see the opportunity for Pettine if he stays in Buffalo, which I say is BS, but you are ruling out the paycheck, which he and his family will definitely not look over. No matter how emotionally invested you are in the Buffalo Bills.

It's all about the money, Lebowski.

Well, it's ridiculous thinking Marrone will get fired in year two, there's another year before your three to pad the resume.

I'm not believing crazy things but maybe you are if you don't compare the two teams and their management structure at this point, or know anything about Lombardi as a GM.

It's absolutely about revenue, and money to be made, and Pettine will only make even more of it with two years of performance unless he isn't all that, and will get an even more substantial raise, with a better team, for longer for sure, not being the 7th interview of a desperate franchise.

They say Lombardi has already settled on Manziel, which sounds much like Lombardi, without a coach or an OC. They fired the HC, who had no QB or RB, wanted him to bench people worse than who he'd have to play, to surely lose while demanding wins, admittedly building for tomorrow, not winning today but upset he didn't win today ?

It's absolutely all about the money, and if you can't see how Pettine can make more of it with this d-line and Alonso, maybe Byrd too down the road, sitting pretty, not being 7th interview but 1st or 2nd, I don't know what to tell you.

BillsFever21
01-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Loyalty only exists with fans. To the people that are employed, it is a job. When you are going to make millions, you take it. When you get to run the show...you take it. Who in their right mind would turn that down, and who wouldn't think they could turn Cleveland around?

Although I wouldn't blame Pettine if he took the job when he had the chance many other coaches who were on the top of their list told them to hit the road. They either withdrew their name from consideration or didn't even want to interview with them at all. Instead they stayed in their current positions as coordinators.

Many coaches turn down HC opportunities if they feel they can get something better. Sometimes it works out for them and sometimes it doesn't and they never get another offer. Pettine is a good coach and would hate to lose him but he hasn't proven enough to be a league wide consideration for a HC. The Browns were the only one to give him an interview and that was after more then a handful of guys didn't want the job. He is basically their sloppy seconds plan like Chan Gailey was for us. It doesn't mean he might not succeed there but it proves that he wasn't at the top of any teams list and definitely not the Browns or he would've been interviewing sooner.

Some guys turn down the jobs and never get another offer. If you are not at the top of the list for most of the teams then you better take your chance when it's offered. Nobody else has wanted the job so Pettine may end up with it. They may also be waiting for other coaches who are still playing to see if they want the job first and Pettine would be their backup plan.

Mace
01-17-2014, 11:00 PM
Although I wouldn't blame Pettine if he took the job when he had the chance many other coaches who were on the top of their list told them to hit the road. They either withdrew their name from consideration or didn't even want to interview with them at all. Instead they stayed in their current positions as coordinators.

Many coaches turn down HC opportunities if they feel they can get something better. Sometimes it works out for them and sometimes it doesn't and they never get another offer. Pettine is a good coach and would hate to lose him but he hasn't proven enough to be a league wide consideration for a HC. The Browns were the only one to give him an interview and that was after more then a handful of guys didn't want the job. He is basically their sloppy seconds plan like Chan Gailey was for us. It doesn't mean he might not succeed there but it proves that he wasn't at the top of any teams list and definitely not the Browns or he would've been interviewing sooner.

Some guys turn down the jobs and never get another offer. If you are not at the top of the list for most of the teams then you better take your chance when it's offered. Nobody else has wanted the job so Pettine may end up with it. They may also be waiting for other coaches who are still playing to see if they want the job first and Pettine would be their backup plan.

Adam Gase grabs his moment of Peyton glory, takes the job and goes 3-13, 3-13, 4-12, becoming Marty Morninwheg, in 2017 he is the OC for Ryan Fitzpatricks staff for the Jets, trying to resurrect Geno Smiths career with DC Jim Haslett, he is fired a year later and becomes offensive quality coach for the new franchise in Toronto as Warren Moon attempts a comeback. Toronto attendance averages 900 per game and they are quickly moved to Vancouver which blows out NFL Canadian records at 1247 people per game. Gase is fired and replaced by Marty Morninwheg to work with the new QB, Fortunate Gaga, the son of Lady Gaga and Rance Mulliniks. I call them as I see them.

trapezeus
01-21-2014, 10:08 AM
pettine made a bunch of guys who had the worst D in bills history, very competitive. if marrone and his friend hackett could have actually hacked it, they could have ridden very good first half performances by the defense to 3-5 more wins. but they struggled to get the wins they got. Marrone will not take this team any further than he already has. 6-10 is his ceiling. and two more seasons of doing that with EJ as the qb is worth patting yourself on t he back, but this team is not going to make the playoffs before the yr7 outclause in the lease.