PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone want Glenn to change positions

Lefty2985
01-18-2014, 11:57 AM
I read many comment on here talking move him inside and bleacher reports talks about taking Robinson from auburn and move Glenn to the other side. He does good at LT. Seriously don't understand it

better days
01-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Not everyone wants to move Glenn, just the IDIOTS.

The Jokeman
01-18-2014, 12:02 PM
I read many comment on here talking move him inside and bleacher reports talks about taking Robinson from auburn and move Glenn to the other side. He does good at LT. Seriously don't understand it

It's called putting the best group of talent on the field as you can. As while Glenn has played good at LT many predicted coming out he's be an above average guard in the pros so it just gives you a better O-line across the board.

The Jokeman
01-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Not everyone wants to move Glenn, just the IDIOTS.

Idiots or forward thinkers, seriously, if we could have an above average LG and above average LT would you do it? Most say yes and I will admit Glenn has played better at LT than I'd ever imagine the idea he can be even better at LG and we can also have an above average LT makes me happier. I'm not sure how old you are but let's not forget that Joe Devlin moved from Tackle to Guard in able to let House Ballard play. Were you against that move too?

Skooby
01-18-2014, 12:28 PM
I'd like the ability to run the ball & pass at will, that will more likely to happen when fielding a great O-line.

HAMMER
01-18-2014, 01:11 PM
You don't mess with a stud LT that is developing into one of the games best, unless you're a "message board GM".

gr8slayer
01-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Or if you're the Bills, you quickly decline to pay him and let him go to the Eagles.
You don't mess with a stud LT that is developing into one of the games best, unless you're a "message board GM".

Jry44
01-18-2014, 01:36 PM
It's called putting the best group of talent on the field as you can. As while Glenn has played good at LT many predicted coming out he's be an above average guard in the pros so it just gives you a better O-line across the board.

Of course! You always want the best group out there. If you are going to have a player on that line only give up 1.5 sacks on the YEAR, what position would you want him to play along that line? ( Here's a hint.... our's plays Cordy Glenns' position)....

Wouldn't you agree that a sack and a half over the course of an entire season is better than above average? Why move a very good LT away from his position so that he can be just an above average guard?

YardRat
01-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I can understand the mindset, because I feel the same way about KW, Kiko and Byrd on the other side of the ball. The difference to me is, those three can be upgraded with a little bit different kind of player, where in Glenn's case it would be much more difficult to get somebody to play at a more effective level. I like him where he is. If we're going to upgrade a position on the oline with the thought of moving the current guy to guard, it should be the center position.

Draft conventional wisdom had Glenn being pushed inside at this level, and I'm sure some are hanging on to that.

feldspar
01-18-2014, 02:33 PM

Does anybody else see the irony that this post was created by a guy named "Lefty?"

But he's right, no pun intended.

Glenn is good where he is. No reason to replace him there. None at all.

stuckincincy
01-18-2014, 02:52 PM
I can understand the mindset, because I feel the same way about KW, Kiko and Byrd on the other side of the ball. The difference to me is, those three can be upgraded with a little bit different kind of player, where in Glenn's case it would be much more difficult to get somebody to play at a more effective level. I like him where he is. If we're going to upgrade a position on the oline with the thought of moving the current guy to guard, it should be the center position.

Draft conventional wisdom had Glenn being pushed inside at this level, and I'm sure some are hanging on to that.

All true. But BUF was in the bottom 3rd of sacks last season. On one hand - rookie qb and substitute qbs, on the other hand, a quick-snap offense that was meant to confuse defenses and inhibit pass rushing.

Consideration of moving Glenn inside is just that, a thought that it could help overall line play. All, of course, predicated on a viable LT acquisition.

I'll add that I see clubs - in response to the rule changes - putting on more interior defensive pressure to hurry a qb before the wrs leave the 5 yard chuck zone. I'm not so sure that a top LT is as valuable as in the past. Plenty of room for debate there, eh?

YardRat
01-18-2014, 03:25 PM
All true. But BUF was in the bottom 3rd of sacks last season. On one hand - rookie qb and substitute qbs, on the other hand, a quick-snap offense that was meant to confuse defenses and inhibit pass rushing.

Consideration of moving Glenn inside is just that, a thought that it could help overall line play. All, of course, predicated on a viable LT acquisition.

I'll add that I see clubs - in response to the rule changes - putting on more interior defensive pressure to hurry a qb before the wrs leave the 5 yard chuck zone. I'm not so sure that a top LT is as valuable as in the past. Plenty of room for debate there, eh?

The game could very well evolve in that manner. Buffalo's defense this season, though, has already shown how offenses can counter that tactic...Run the ball...up the middle.

pmoon6
01-18-2014, 03:30 PM
The game could very well evolve in that manner. Buffalo's defense this season, though, has already shown how offenses can counter that tactic...Run the ball...up the middle.Heeeyyyy!!! It's a passing league.

stuckincincy
01-18-2014, 03:52 PM
The game could very well evolve in that manner. Buffalo's defense this season, though, has already shown how offenses can counter that tactic...Run the ball...up the middle.

I'll point to M. Williams' putrid number of tackles. He did little to support KW and Dareus, a sin on a club with an iffy LB corps. Now, it might have been Pettine instructing pass rush as job #1 - if so you'd think he would have wised up mid-season as the club went on to its' 5th or 6th year of giving up rush yards near or at the bottom of the barrel.

If it was MW - he should have been set down. My suspicion is that they told him to go all out for sacks, to charm the fans and justify that nutty contract.

YardRat
01-18-2014, 05:14 PM
I'll point to M. Williams' putrid number of tackles. He did little to support KW and Dareus, a sin on a club with an iffy LB corps. Now, it might have been Pettine instructing pass rush as job #1 - if so you'd think he would have wised up mid-season as the club went on to its' 5th or 6th year of giving up rush yards near or at the bottom of the barrel.

If it was MW - he should have been set down. My suspicion is that they told him to go all out for sacks, to charm the fans and justify that nutty contract.

Wouldn't surprise me. But the interior of the front seven is where the problem lies. Kyle Williams is exactly the player, using exactly the tactic, that you described previously. He rushed the passer (or the RB) from the interior to disrupt or get to the QB, instead of manning up and clogging the LOS. That opened up holes on the interior for RB's. Add a light MLB that ducks and evades, and it amplifies the issue. If more teams employ that kind of strategy defensively, offenses will adjust and run the ball up the gut, successfully, as was shown against Buffalo many times this season.

John Doe
01-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Idiots or forward thinkers, seriously, if we could have an above average LG and above average LT would you do it? Most say yes and I will admit Glenn has played better at LT than I'd ever imagine the idea he can be even better at LG and we can also have an above average LT makes me happier. I'm not sure how old you are but let's not forget that Joe Devlin moved from Tackle to Guard in able to let House Ballard play. Were you against that move too?

Signing Glen to an extension is going to be a top priority after next season.

I doubt that moving him to guard is going to help that cause.

JoeMama
01-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Cordy Glenn is maybe the third best T we've drafted during the playoff drought.

And ironically, he's not even the best T we've drafted from the University of Georgia.

That honor goes to Jonas Jennings, who was money until all the injuries ruined his career.

Zero sacks allowed his rookie season at RT.

Two sacks allowed his second season at LT, despite sack machine Dwu Blumbo at the helm.

Don't get me wrong, Glenn seems okay. But it's never a bad idea to plan an upgrade at any position, no matter how safe the incumbent seems.

gr8slayer
01-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Glenn is a good-very good LT, he would be an elite RT.
Cordy Glenn is maybe the third best T we've drafted during the playoff drought.

And ironically, he's not even the best T we've drafted from the University of Georgia.

That honor goes to Jonas Jennings, who was money until all the injuries ruined his career.

Zero sacks allowed his rookie season at RT.

Two sacks allowed his second season at LT, despite sack machine Dwu Blumbo at the helm.

Don't get me wrong, Glenn seems okay. But it's never a bad idea to plan an upgrade at any position, no matter how safe the incumbent seems.

JoeMama
01-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Glenn is a good-very good LT, he would be an elite RT.

Glenn has been a pleasant surprise. And I bet he'd be a fantastic RT.

But I'm still willing to consider that we can do better at LT, even if it seems disrespectful to the year he had.

God knows we're gonna need the help now that EJ Manuel is our permanent starter. He hurts his knee anytime a defender coughs.

gr8slayer
01-18-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm right there with you, if you can essentially upgrade two positions with one draft pick, I'm all over that.
Glenn has been a pleasant surprise. And I bet he'd be a fantastic RT.

But I'm still willing to consider that we can do better at LT, even if it seems disrespectful to the year he had.

God knows we're gonna need the help now that EJ Manuel is our permanent starter. He hurts his knee anytime a defender coughs.

Meathead
01-18-2014, 06:37 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8kAU3B9Pi_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

my sister played that round the clock for a solid month. i wanted to change the position of that close n play into the middle of the lake

stuckincincy
01-18-2014, 07:31 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8kAU3B9Pi_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i wanted to change the position of that close n play into the middle of the lake

i know im not cool, but what does that mean?

Meathead
01-18-2014, 08:10 PM
youre right, youre not cool enough to know. it was a cool test and you scored a neutral simply by admitting youre not cool. you may or may not still end up being cool, it could go either way from here

off season boredom + wine + half watching sabres game + wine + random thoughts of glenns = rhinestone cowboy

stuckincincy
01-18-2014, 08:40 PM
youre right, youre not cool enough to know. it was a cool test and you scored a neutral simply by admitting youre not cool. you may or may not still end up being cool, it could go either way from here

off season boredom + wine + half watching sabres game + wine + random thoughts of glenns = rhinestone cowboy

i haven't drunk wine for years - only beer. The romans said in vino veritas. I say in beer bite us.

i get the connection with off season boredom......rhinestone cowboy. i've been busy flinging inflammatory posts in this and that thread recently, just to stoke things. i get called names. which is expected and not a thing of concern.

Mace
01-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Doesn't make much sense to dork over your very good LT to move him to guard or RT when you can just instead get....a guard or RT ! Crazy idea, I know....and why let anything working well stay working well when you can confuse it and complain about it later. It's very Buffalo.

stuckincincy
01-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Doesn't make much sense to dork over your very good LT to move him to guard or RT when you can just instead get....a guard or RT ! Crazy idea, I know....and why let anything working well stay working well when you can confuse it and complain about it later. It's very Buffalo.

Glenn is a decent LT. The same crowd of pundits that folks gush about here when they say something nice about a Bills player also aren't praising Glenn to high heaven. When they tabulate their list of LT honeys, Glenn isn't there. And yes, I know about name recognition.

I personally think that the shine on the LT position is getting a bit of a tarnish. I see more and more defensive pressure coming from the interior, among the more successful clubs. If you beat a LT, watch out for a flag that isn't called when the pile hits the qb. My 2 cents.

I see more and more interior rushes these days...I think the star on LTs is getting a bit tarnished. Qbs are rolling out, qbs are doing this read option thing.

Lefty2985
01-18-2014, 11:27 PM
I can't disagree more to drafting someone to play left tackle and move Glenn to guard or RT. If you draft someone put them at RT or guard. Glenn is being very under appreciated on this board.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-19-2014, 06:22 AM
I want you guys to consider a scenario. Cordy Glenn has already established that he is a viable NFL left tackle, and IMO a good one. If you move him inside, he (and importantly his agent) are not going to forget that come contract time. Are you prepared to give Glenn left tackle money to play guard?

No?

Then don't move him, goofnuts!

DraftBoy
01-19-2014, 06:36 AM
I want you guys to consider a scenario. Cordy Glenn has already established that he is a viable NFL left tackle, and IMO a good one. If you move him inside, he (and importantly his agent) are not going to forget that come contract time. Are you prepared to give Glenn left tackle money to play guard?

No?

Then don't move him, goofnuts!

Worth noting the OL Franchise Tag is 9.8 this year.

I'm always a fan of your five best guys, coming out I thought Glenn was a potential all-pro OG prospect. He's been a better OT than I thought but is he or will he be elite? I always advocate to never stop looking to improve any position regardless of who is there. The nice thing with Glenn is that if you have a guy you think is an elite LT you can move Glenn to RT or to LG and get better.

Do you do that with so much to rebuild? Not sure, its a large risk.

pmoon6
01-19-2014, 06:41 AM
I wonder if Meathead has spurs that "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle"?

IlluminatusUIUC
01-19-2014, 06:50 AM

I'm not sure what you're driving at with this point.

I'm always a fan of your five best guys, coming out I thought Glenn was a potential all-pro OG prospect. He's been a better OT than I thought but is he or will he be elite? I always advocate to never stop looking to improve any position regardless of who is there. The nice thing with Glenn is that if you have a guy you think is an elite LT you can move Glenn to RT or to LG and get better.

And I'm a fan of not tinkering with success. We got IMO a franchise LT with the 41st pick. Take that success and build around it rather than reshuffling everything and risking a worse scenario. If we have an elite T prospect that we can't pass up, I don't see any flaw in playing him on the right. This idea that pass rush only comes from the left just isn't true any more. Miller, Watt, and Mario Williams play the left quite frequently and many other elite rushers flip sides at times.

YardRat
01-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Unlike MLB or NT, or even C, I just dont see anybody out there in the draft or free agency that is going to pay immediate dividends on the 'improve two positions with acquiring one guy' thought process. Performance at LT would be a push, at best. Draft an RT, play him there, and eventually make the move if their play dictated, maybe at some point in time, but not in the same vein as, say, signing Mack and moving Wood to guard or drafting Mosley/Skov and moving Kiko outside.

better days
01-19-2014, 08:08 AM

I agree with you about the best 5 guys to a point. But unless someone can play LT better than Glenn, I would rather keep him there.

And if a better LT is found, I would move Glenn to RT.

I have been told Guards are easy to replace when the Bills let Levitre leave.

Jry44
01-19-2014, 08:15 AM
I'm right there with you, if you can essentially upgrade two positions with one draft pick, I'm all over that.

I think we all would be ok with that. However, you're going to be awefully hard pressed to find a guy that's going to come in and give up 1.5 sacks as a LT. It just makes no sense to me to move a proven commodity at a critical position to guard. Why not judt sign or draft a guard?

Albany,n.y.
01-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Devlin was at the end of his career when that move was made. Glenn is young and will be looking to cash in on big $ in his 2nd contract-big difference. The move from tackle to guard is not uncommon as an OL is winding down his career, but a young player would be totally against the move & I'm sure there would be plenty of teams willing to pay him & play him as a T.

Bangarang
01-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Top 10 LT in the league in only his 2nd year? Move him so an unproven rookie can take his spot.

It absolutely boggles the mind how people come up with this stuff.

pmoon6
01-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Top 10 LT in the league in only his 2nd year? Move him so an unproven rookie can take his spot.

It absolutely boggles the mind how people come up with this stuff.It's called "Madden Delusion Syndrome". They actually think they can draft a team and be the GM, HC, Offensive and Defensive coordinators.

TacklingDummy
01-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Glenn is turning into a solid Left Tackle so lets move him to right tackle and develop another Left Tackle.

http://coolmaterial.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Brilliant-Ideas-I-Had-While-Stoned-Notebook.jpg

DraftBoy
01-19-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure what you're driving at with this point.

Two things;
1. If the idea is you slide him inside and tag him if he wants OT money for two years then that won't work since the entire OL is one tag not a tag for each OL position.
2. The current OL tag is only slightly below the top OT money (Jason Peters) but should go up exponentially when Clady gets his long term deal.

And I'm a fan of not tinkering with success. We got IMO a franchise LT with the 41st pick. Take that success and build around it rather than reshuffling everything and risking a worse scenario. If we have an elite T prospect that we can't pass up, I don't see any flaw in playing him on the right. This idea that pass rush only comes from the left just isn't true any more. Miller, Watt, and Mario Williams play the left quite frequently and many other elite rushers flip sides at times.

I don't know that there is anything about our OL that I'd call a success. We have two pieces, but how they fit together the best is still a question. Also of the three right side rushers you mentioned two are power players which is more suited to Cordy's game then having to deal with speed rushers who frequent the left side of the LOS. Granted its far more common nowadays to see pass rushers flip sides all the time to change up looks and disguise blitzes so the point is an admitted weak one.

DraftBoy
01-19-2014, 12:37 PM
I agree with you about the best 5 guys to a point. But unless someone can play LT better than Glenn, I would rather keep him there.

And if a better LT is found, I would move Glenn to RT.

I have been told Guards are easy to replace when the Bills let Levitre leave.

I don't disagree, and I'm not advocating you move Glenn right now. I'm simply saying if the people in the room decide that they have a better LT on the board (or in FA) than Cordy then yes you move him. Honestly I think what YR said above is more likely while everybody is talking LB or WR in Round 1 I still think they are going OT with a guy like Lewan. He'll start at RT and if he's dominant (or if Cordy regresses) you flop them.

SpikedLemonade
01-19-2014, 12:47 PM
I don't want to move Glenn.

I want to improve our OL.

We only have 2 real NFL OL starters on our OL.

Watch the Pats OL today.

If our OL was as good, Spiller would be a Pro Bowler.

pmoon6
01-19-2014, 12:53 PM
My thinking is the Bills draft at least two O-Lineman in April.

DraftBoy
01-19-2014, 01:07 PM

Agreed and I think they start in Round 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Watch the Pats OL today.

Even with the best OL in football Spiller wasn't going to succeed this past season. His vision was plain **** and with our scheme you have to see the lane and not just go into auto-bounce mode.

SpikedLemonade
01-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Oh I agree but I want those two to be within the first 3 rounds rather then pretending we are smarter than the rest of the league and drafting OL in the 5th and 7th rounds.

We really have shown very little ability to evaluate OL talent in the past 20 years.

DraftBoy
01-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Oh I agree but I want those two to be within the first 3 rounds rather then pretending we are smarter than the rest of the league and drafting OL in the 5th and 7th rounds.

We really have shown very little ability to evaluate OL talent in the past 20 years.

We shall see Marrone being a former OL coach bodes well but his ZBS run scheme is usually intended for lighter and more athletic OL who can move. They are usually found on Day 2 and 3 of the draft and not Day 1.

SpikedLemonade
01-19-2014, 01:14 PM
We shall see Marrone being a former OL coach bodes well but his ZBS run scheme is usually intended for lighter and more athletic OL who can move. They are usually found on Day 2 and 3 of the draft and not Day 1.

I question the wisdom of implementing that scheme.

Meathead
01-19-2014, 01:16 PM
i dennis rodmaned my testicles so its not my spurs that jingle jangle jingle

Jry44
01-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Watch the Pats OL today.

If Spiller was as good as he's made out to be, he would be a pro bowler.

He's a home run threat, and nothing else. I like him, but not as a primary ball carrier. What drove me nuts about him most is as soon as he made contact with a defender, his legs would stop moving. He didn't try to drive through tacklers like Fred Jackson does. he gave up on plays too early before letting them develop, opting to bounce outside instead. Not to mention that twice now we've seen him struggle to pick up an offense in it's first year.

He's absolutely lethal in space, but he's really no more than a change of pace back to me.

DraftBoy
01-20-2014, 08:13 AM
I question the wisdom of implementing that scheme.

The days of questioning it are past, that's what we have so now its time to find the best OL to execute it.

TigerJ
01-20-2014, 10:54 AM
I think it's because people have such a hard time letting go of preconceived notions. When Glenn was drafted, virtually everybody was saying Glenn would be a better right tackle or guard than left tackle. Now, several years later, with Glenn showing he's not just a good left tackle but an excellent one who is still improving, people can't let go. I see Robinson as almost a clone of Glenn; big, strong, and athletic offensive linemen, who can play anywhere on the offensive line and excel. I would not oppose drafting Robinson at all, but I'd plug him in at right tackle, not because he can't play left tackle, but right tackle is where Buffalo needs the upgrade. Glenn has started three seasons at left tackle and has given Buffalo no reason to move him. Since left tackle is considered the premier offensive line position, (the most difficult to play because of the athleticism of right defensive ends, who line up against them) Glenn would likely regard being moved as pretty insulting. It would be a good way to lose him when his rookie deal is up.

stuckincincy
01-20-2014, 11:03 AM
I think it's because people have such a hard time letting go of preconceived notions. When Glenn was drafted, virtually everybody was saying Glenn would be a better right tackle or guard than left tackle. Now, several years later, with Glenn showing he's not just a good left tackle but an excellent one who is still improving, people can't let go. I see Robinson as almost a clone of Glenn; big, strong, and athletic offensive linemen, who can play anywhere on the offensive line and excel. I would not oppose drafting Robinson at all, but I'd plug him in at right tackle, not because he can't play left tackle, but right tackle is where Buffalo needs the upgrade. Glenn has started three seasons at left tackle and has given Buffalo no reason to move him. Since left tackle is considered the premier offensive line position, (the most difficult to play because of the athleticism of right defensive ends, who line up against them) Glenn would likely regard being moved as pretty insulting. It would be a good way to lose him when his rookie deal is up.

That's an interesting point I'd not considered.

gr8slayer
01-20-2014, 11:15 AM
You think that the Bills are going to pay him to keep him around when the times comes?
That's an interesting point I'd not considered.

stuckincincy
01-20-2014, 11:28 AM
You think that the Bills are going to pay him to keep him around when the times comes?

Yes, unless he becomes *****ly about it like Peters did. And Byrd is doing. :pig:

gr8slayer
01-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Hopefully for us, Glenn won't ever develop into one of the best in the league at his position like Peters and Byrd did/have, then we won't have to worry about it!
Yes, unless he becomes *****ly about it like Peters did. And Byrd is doing. :pig:

Ed
01-21-2014, 09:56 AM
It would be one thing if Glenn were struggling with certain aspects of playing LT, but I think he's more than proven that he can handle the position and play it well. It doesn't make sense to create a hole at LT in order to fill a hole at LG. If they end up drafting an elite OT and it makes more sense to move Glenn to RT then so be it, but moving him shouldn't be some kind of priority.