PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Hughes, C.J. Spiller earn raises

YardRat
01-18-2014, 07:47 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/1/18/5318414/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-2014-jerry-hughes-cj-spiller-earn-raises

Spiller's base salary will increase to $3.499 million in 2014. He was scheduled to make $1.749 million. With the new salary, his cap hit will increase to just under $6 million, including the prorated portion of his signing bonus.

<nobr>Hughes (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/1/18/5318414/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-2014-jerry-hughes-cj-spiller-earn-raises#)</nobr>, drafted in the same first round by the Indianapolis Colts (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/indianapolis-colts) and acquired via trade last May, earned a jump in salary much larger than Spiller's. Scheduled to make $1.095 million in base salary in 2014, Hughes will now draw $3.995 million in salary - a $2.9 million jump.

stuckincincy
01-18-2014, 07:57 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/1/18/5318414/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-2014-jerry-hughes-cj-spiller-earn-raises

Spiller's base salary will increase to $3.499 million in 2014. He was scheduled to make $1.749 million. With the new salary, his cap hit will increase to just under $6 million, including the prorated portion of his signing bonus.

<nobr>Hughes (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/1/18/5318414/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-2014-jerry-hughes-cj-spiller-earn-raises#)</nobr>, drafted in the same first round by the Indianapolis Colts (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/indianapolis-colts) and acquired via trade last May, earned a jump in salary much larger than Spiller's. Scheduled to make $1.095 million in base salary in 2014, Hughes will now draw $3.995 million in salary - a $2.9 million jump.

$290,000 for each quarterback sack. We are collectively insane.

ICRockets
01-18-2014, 08:06 PM
$290,000 for each quarterback sack. We are collectively insane.

Why? I'd love to hear your explanation.

stuckincincy
01-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Why? I'd love to hear your explanation.

Sure. Go to a game at a largely taxpayer-funded stadium. Remember that when you fork over and file, and that your yucks come out of the hide of others who don't give a rat's ass about NFL football. Then pay 20 bucks or more for parking. Add tix prices...PSLs if applicable. Buy a beer for 8 bucks several times. Shove a $4 weenie pass your lips. Stand up for 3 hours, with a deafening cacophony all around. Suffer from your fellow inmates' invectives, threats, tribalism that rivals the Zulus.

Then get a lump in your pants when a fellow tackles a qb and cashes in to the tune of $290,000. We bit*h about government, taxes, welfare cheats, the cost of living, inflation, gas prices, you name it.

But 290K for 3 seconds of work is A-OK.

So that's why I say we are collectively insane.

Mace
01-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Sure. Go to a game at a largely taxpayer-funded stadium. Remember that when you fork over and file, and that your yucks come out of the hide of others who don't give a rat's ass about NFL football. Then pay 20 bucks or more for parking. Add tix prices...PSLs if applicable. Buy a beer for 8 bucks several times. Shove a $4 weenie pass your lips. Stand up for 3 hours, with a deafening cacophony all around. Suffer from your fellow inmates' invectives, threats, tribalism that rivals the Zulus.

Then get a lump in your pants when a fellow tackles a qb and cashes in to the tune of $290,000. We bit*h about government, taxes, welfare cheats, the cost of living, inflation, gas prices, you name it.

Um, incentives mean the player achieved something and you're not stuck paying a lump of concrete for no performance for what you just paid too much for at the stadium.

It's kind of crazy for anyone to argue all contracts shouldn't be incentive based or you're forking out money for less results.

YardRat
01-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Back in the day my old man used to ***** about how much athletes were paid, and I use to argue otherwise. It was peanuts compared to what they get now, and I find myself thinking the same thing. That little blurb aside, all the capologists can take 4.6mil off the top for those two players.

BillsFever21
01-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Back in the day my old man used to ***** about how much athletes were paid, and I use to argue otherwise. It was peanuts compared to what they get now, and I find myself thinking the same thing. That little blurb aside, all the capologists can take 4.6mil off the top for those two players.

And probably 20 more years from now the same thing will be said. The salaries keep going up every year. When Kelly first signed with the Bills it was for 5 years, 7.5 million dollars. You can't even get a veteran backup for 1.5 million a year anymore.

I'm guessing in 25 more years the current generation of kids will be saying the same thing and how they can't believe this top QB just signed for 40-50 million a year and telling their kids that back in his day they only made 17-20 million as a top QB. The cheapest ticket in the NFL will be about $150 by then but nothing will change.

When Bobby Bonilla signed for 5 million a year from the Mets years ago everyone couldn't believe how much it was. Now that's how much a utility player makes and you have the top guys making 20-30 million a year.

clumping platelets
01-18-2014, 11:16 PM
They hit their escalators...........this is why I chuckled when people talk about how much cap space any team has available the following season. Nearly all rookie contracts have escalators built into the final year. Usually only 1st rd picks like Spiller and Hughes have incentives for earlier years of their rookie deal. The escalators are often equal to the amounts associated with RFA tenders.

DraftBoy
01-19-2014, 12:38 AM
And probably 20 more years from now the same thing will be said. The salaries keep going up every year. When Kelly first signed with the Bills it was for 5 years, 7.5 million dollars. You can't even get a veteran backup for 1.5 million a year anymore.

I'm guessing in 25 more years the current generation of kids will be saying the same thing and how they can't believe this top QB just signed for 40-50 million a year and telling their kids that back in his day they only made 17-20 million as a top QB. The cheapest ticket in the NFL will be about $150 by then but nothing will change.

When Bobby Bonilla signed for 5 million a year from the Mets years ago everyone couldn't believe how much it was. Now that's how much a utility player makes and you have the top guys making 20-30 million a year.

In fairness now most people can't believe that the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla.

Mouldsie
01-19-2014, 12:50 AM

Hughes got a sack on every play?

IlluminatusUIUC
01-19-2014, 06:29 AM

I agree that taxpayer funded stadiums are an outrage, but the rest of your post explains exactly why he deserves his pay. People are willing and eager to pay all those prices you listed to watch him perform.

alohabillsfan
01-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Hughes got a sack on every play?

Nope, he also didn't practice, workout or Attend any meetings. Nice high!

better days
01-19-2014, 07:59 AM

Why don't you move back to New York State & become a politician.

You can get the non football fans to vote for you.

Taxpayer money is spent on MANY things people don't care about.

I would wager the vast majority of people in Western NY think that is money well spent.

As far as the rest of the state, they get their fair share spent on them.

How much money does a baseball player get for a strikeout or a home run?

ParanoidAndroid
01-19-2014, 10:11 AM
...and the insane deny their insanity...

BillsFever21
01-19-2014, 03:57 PM
In fairness now most people can't believe that the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla.

Yeah Bonilla made one hell of a deal with the rest of the money he had remaining. At least he was smart about it and made sure he would have a steady income coming in for the later years of his life and not end up blowing the money and being broke 5-10 years later like most of the athletes. He received one hell of a return on the deal the Mets made with him.

WagonCircler
01-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Maybe CJ can use the extra money to buy a portable oxygen tank.

OpIv37
01-19-2014, 10:23 PM
On one hand: Good- they put up the numbers, so pay them. And I like that we didn't have to pay them unless they performed.

On the other hand: These two guys came through big time and we still only managed 6 wins. WTF?