PDA

View Full Version : Did We Improve as Much as Our Division Opponents This Past Year?

SpikedLemonade
01-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Look at only 2013.

Many feel we have improved and I agree.

Did we improve as much as the Jets, Dolphins and Pats?

Isn't that the real issue?

Yes, there is some hope for us in 2014 but so too do our division opponents.

The Pats have re-invented themselves as a power running team with a good D after their passing attack fell part.

The Dolphins almost made the play-offs and their D seems to be good despite getting nothing from their 3rd overall draft pick.

The Jets O is a mess yet their D kept them in most games.

The first thing we have to do if we want to make the play-offs is be better than the above teams.

What makes you think we are about to do that?

Will we out draft them this year?

Will we out spend them in FA this year?

Will we out coach them this year?

What gets us past them?

SpikedLemonade
01-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Ha Ha Ha!!!

BillsFever21
01-19-2014, 05:39 PM
It's still too early to tell how much ground(if any) we made on them in the long-term. The past couple draft classes will help determine that. That and how well the combination of Marrone and EJ works out.

In the standings we didn't pick up any ground but we were more competitive this season. With how bad our division is that's not really saying very much though. It's not like we were in the NFC West, etc. At least we didn't have a losing record in our division again. Usually it's the opposite and we can't win a division game but would win 5 or 6 games outside of our division.

The past couple draft classes along with any moves/draft picks that are made going into next year will help sort it out. The biggest factor will be EJ and Marrone. If they fail then it's another 3+ years before we can even think about turning it around.

better days
01-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Look at only 2013.

Many feel we have improved and I agree.

Did we improve as much as the Jets, Dolphins and Pats?

Isn't that the real issue?

Yes, there is some hope for us in 2014 but so too do our division opponents.

The Pats have re-invented themselves as a power running team with a good D after their passing attack fell part.

The Dolphins almost made the play-offs and their D seems to be good despite getting nothing from their 3rd overall draft pick.

The first thing we have to do if we want to make the play-offs is be better than the above teams.

What gets us past them?

Well, the Fins spent a boatload of money in FA this past year, didn't do them much good.

Nobody is going to out coach the Pats*

I do expect the Bills to draft well again this year.

But if Pettine leaves, it is a question mark at DC.

And if Crossman stays, there is no question, Special teams will continue to Suck.

justasportsfan
01-20-2014, 09:14 AM

What gets us past them?

SWEEP and Spilt Don't forget we did that with a questionable qb roster + injuries.

stuckincincy
01-20-2014, 11:17 AM
SWEEP and Spilt Don't forget we did that with a questionable qb roster + injuries.

I'll buy the questionable qb roster, but not the injuries. BUF was more fortunate than a lot of clubs this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries/pup

justasportsfan
01-20-2014, 11:25 AM
I'll buy the questionable qb roster, but not the injuries. BUF was more fortunate than a lot of clubs this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries/pup

injuries to EJ is what I meant. While EJ is nothing special, injuries sure didn't help his development. We swept the fins with Thad inspite of the FA aqcuisitions the fins made in last years offseason. IMO, we were a qb away from beating the pats in the 1st game and a qb away from sweeping the jets.

stuckincincy
01-20-2014, 11:35 AM
injuries to EJ is what I meant. While EJ is nothing special, injuries sure didn't help his development. We swept the fins with Thad inspite of the FA aqcuisitions the fins made in last years offseason. IMO, we were a qb away from beating the pats in the 1st game and a qb away from sweeping the jets.

Agree on Manual - and I still believe they did the rookie no favors with the quick paced scheme, robbing him of game time to digest defensive formations and shifts.

Dunno about the 1st NYJ game - the refs slapped the Jets with 20 (!) penalties, yet they won.

Regarding injuries - you don't like to see them, but they do provide for evaluation of your bench. I'm concerned about their bench strength - the poor ST play wasn't all on coaching, and I can't recall the last time any other team raided their PS to any extent.

Pinkerton Security
01-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Ha Ha Ha!!!

drunk much?

justasportsfan
01-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Dunno about the 1st NYJ game - the refs slapped the Jets with 20 (!) penalties, yet they won.

exactly, with a better qb, no way the bills lose that game.

Regarding injuries - you don't like to see them, but they do provide for evaluation of your bench. I'm concerned about their bench strength - the poor ST play wasn't all on coaching, and I can't recall the last time any other team raided their PS to any extent.

the bills pretty had the same players on ST from last year yet they got worse under Crossman.Our return game was at least decent and you would think that with the addition of Goodwin, we'd at least stay the same but we're actually dead last in a lot of ST stats this year compared to last year.

To me it was coaching just like you can see the difference between our D with Pettine vs. Wanny with practically the same cast. Lets not forget the injuries to our backfield early i the season yet they were better than last year under Wanny.

stuckincincy
01-20-2014, 01:19 PM
exactly, with a better qb, no way the bills lose that game.

the bills pretty had the same players on ST from last year yet they got worse under Crossman.Our return game was at least decent and you would think that with the addition of Goodwin, we'd at least stay the same but we're actually dead last in a lot of ST stats this year compared to last year.

To me it was coaching just like you can see the difference between our D with Pettine vs. Wanny with practically the same cast. Lets not forget the injuries to our backfield early i the season yet they were better than last year under Wanny.

Grandma Moses could have quarterbacked the Bills and beat a team slapped with 20 penalties.

The Bills switch coaching like people switch underwear. They must be just behind CLE and WAS in changes.

better days
01-20-2014, 03:55 PM

Marrone said it is great the NFL gives new Coaches extra time to spend with his team.

But he went on to say with EJ not being in Buffalo until after the draft & then getting injured, EJ & the Bills did not benefit from that extra time they could have had.

Fixxxer
01-20-2014, 04:27 PM
drunk much?

he will tell you, not enough.