PDA

View Full Version : Pettine chances for HC just went up.

MJones83
01-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Pettine may have just become the front runner for the Browns HC. As per NFL.com he is set for a second interview. They are also speculating that Gase might turn down and interview with the Browns. This does not look good for Buffalo.

YardRat
01-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Booooooo...

coastal
01-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Lol... suck for the FSU QB?

SpikedLemonade
01-19-2014, 04:38 PM
We need an excuse for a 7-9 season.

This would work.

Anyone hear whether Ralph's cough stopped?

BADTHINGSMAN
01-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Well we all know that Buffalo can put in the effort to suck.

BillsImpossible
01-19-2014, 04:55 PM
No more giving up 3rd and long plays?

Darn.

Did the Bills get better on defense in 2013 because of Pettine, or because of new players like Manny Lawson, Kiko Alonso, Jerry Hughes and a new secondary coach in Donnie Henderson?

Pettine gambled big and got smoked, a lot.

His aggressive play calling helped the Bills set a franchise record for sacks at the expense of giving up too many big plays.

What Donnie Henderson did with the Bills secondary last year is worthy of a promotion. He turned Leodis McKelvin into a good ball player, and did a remarkable job with the talent he had to work with at the beginning of the season playing without Byrd, Gilmore and McKelvin. His depleted secondary more than held their own.

I place most of the blame on Pettine for deciding to put Gilmore into the lineup with a club on his hand. That was not a smart decision, and I don't think it was Henderson's call because his backup was playing good football. Gilmore got lit up the second he stepped on the field, and he was targeted and exploited as a weakness on more than a few occasions in more than a few games.

If Pettine bolts to the Browns, I hope Donnie Henderson gets the nod.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/29/294005.jpg

2slowtogofast
01-19-2014, 05:11 PM
The Bills have the worst luck. We find a stud DC and start building a good D and now he will most likely be gone. Kansas City and Seattle turn their teams around in 2 seasons. We have been rebuilding for 15 years, we are never going to get it right. We have no QB and now our best coach is going to be gone after 1 season. FML.

BillsImpossible
01-19-2014, 05:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/position/defense/seasontype/2

This is quite impressive. The Bills secondary is ranked 4th in the league against the pass playing in the same division as Tom Brady. Considering how depleted the Bills secondary was in 2013, this statistic really stands out like a white guy in Harlem.

justasportsfan
01-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Hard to say if the secondary was good due to Henderson or due to Pettines scheme getting pressure on the qb .

SpikedLemonade
01-19-2014, 05:21 PM
The Bills have the worst luck. We find a stud DC and start building a good D and now he will most likely be gone. Kansas City and Seattle turn their teams around in 2 seasons. We have been rebuilding for 15 years, we are never going to get it right. We have no QB and now our best coach is going to be gone after 1 season. FML.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqwAXk8c2Ew

BillsImpossible
01-19-2014, 05:36 PM

I think it's a blessing in disguise. Overall defense was ranked 10th this year, but overall defense is overrated. The Bills had a top 5 overall defense with Gregg Williams, but his teams could never stop the run.

In 2013, the Bills ranked 28th against the run. With Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, and Marcel Dareus starting how is that possible?

Very disappointed with the Bills run D last year. I thought that would be Pettine's biggest contribution to the team - stop the run. Didn't happen.

BillsImpossible
01-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Hard to say if the secondary was good due to Henderson or due to Pettines scheme getting pressure on the qb .

If they could get pressure on quarterbacks, they should have been able to get pressure on running backs too.

What's more difficult? Sacking the quarterback, or stopping the run? Sacks would seem to be more difficult to come by in the NFL, so shouldn't stopping the run be easier? What good is a starting front 3 if they can only pressure the QB and not stop the run? What kind of defense is that?

Beebe's Kid
01-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Yes! It just gets better. From total denial two days ago, to being convinced the Bills will be better of without Pettine.

He will never take that job in Cleveland because it is a bad job...it is nowhere near as prestigious as a coordinator job in Buffalo...we have a chance to really break through next year...as long as everything from this season changes for the better.

justasportsfan
01-19-2014, 06:31 PM
If they could get pressure on quarterbacks, they should have been able to get pressure on running backs too.

What's more difficult? Sacking the quarterback, or stopping the run? Sacks would seem to be more difficult to come by in the NFL, so shouldn't stopping the run be easier? What good is a starting front 3 if they can only pressure the QB and not stop the run? What kind of defense is that?

Nope . When you have the Dl running upfield to get the qb, the lbers have to plug the holes.There's a hole at the lbing position beside Kiko. Kiko himself has had problems shedding blocks at times. No doubt Henderson has the CBS playing better but a franchise sack record has something to do with that too. The passing D was horrible last year with Wanny because they weren't getting any pressure on the qb and they still sucked stopping the run.

Novacane
01-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Sounds like he's the only one that wants the job

YardRat
01-19-2014, 06:54 PM
I think it's a blessing in disguise. Overall defense was ranked 10th this year, but overall defense is overrated. The Bills had a top 5 overall defense with Gregg Williams, but his teams could never stop the run.

In 2013, the Bills ranked 28th against the run. With Kyle Williams, Mario Williams, and Marcel Dareus starting how is that possible?

Very disappointed with the Bills run D last year. I thought that would be Pettine's biggest contribution to the team - stop the run. Didn't happen.

They are weak up the middle, from front to back. They need more ass and muscle at DT and MLB, and more speed/better than average play diagnosis at FS.

The Jokeman
01-19-2014, 07:31 PM
No more giving up 3rd and long plays?

Darn.

Did the Bills get better on defense in 2013 because of Pettine, or because of new players like Manny Lawson, Kiko Alonso, Jerry Hughes and a new secondary coach in Donnie Henderson?

Pettine gambled big and got smoked, a lot.

His aggressive play calling helped the Bills set a franchise record for sacks at the expense of giving up too many big plays.

What Donnie Henderson did with the Bills secondary last year is worthy of a promotion. He turned Leodis McKelvin into a good ball player, and did a remarkable job with the talent he had to work with at the beginning of the season playing without Byrd, Gilmore and McKelvin. His depleted secondary more than held their own.

I place most of the blame on Pettine for deciding to put Gilmore into the lineup with a club on his hand. That was not a smart decision, and I don't think it was Henderson's call because his backup was playing good football. Gilmore got lit up the second he stepped on the field, and he was targeted and exploited as a weakness on more than a few occasions in more than a few games.

If Pettine bolts to the Browns, I hope Donnie Henderson gets the nod.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/29/294005.jpg
Henderson was a DC twice already in the NFL, In 2005, the Jets had a second-ranked defense against the pass, but a 32nd-ranked defense against the run and then in 2006 with the Lions finished the season ranked 27th out of 32 in total defense.

better days
01-19-2014, 09:30 PM

Dan Quinn the Seahawks DC is going to have a second interview as well.

And Adam Gase the Broncos OC is the man the Browns REALLY want according to reports.

Just like the Browns. Go for the Denver OC like he had anything to do with the success of the Broncos offense & it was not all about Manning.

DynaPaul
01-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Pay him more money!

psubills62
01-19-2014, 10:28 PM
There's a reason people around the NFL are reportedly warning prospective coaches about taking the Cleveland job. Unsurprising that people aren't clamoring for a job where the previous coach was fired after only one season.

BertSquirtgum
01-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Who cares. The Bills are still going to suck next year. Marrone is a terrible coach.

BertSquirtgum
01-19-2014, 11:59 PM
Also, the people that keep saying Pettine is a miracle worker are complete idiots. Pettine's defense has a lot of room for improvement.

Historian
01-20-2014, 10:44 AM
The fact that any team is looking at any cosch from Buffalo tells me that that team is in worde shape yhan us, lol

stuckincincy
01-20-2014, 11:11 AM
There's a reason people around the NFL are reportedly warning prospective coaches about taking the Cleveland job. Unsurprising that people aren't clamoring for a job where the previous coach was fired after only one season.

True, but AFAIK, the raise in pay from coordinator to HC is pretty substantial. Pocket 3 or 4 mill for a year, get some sort of payoff if you're canned, and then toss your hat back into the NFL coaching fraternity pool for another coordinator gig.

tampabay25690
01-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Dan Quinn is the front runner

Mr. Miyagi
01-20-2014, 02:29 PM
True, but AFAIK
I don't know what that means. Please spell it out for this old timer who doesn't understand all the Twitter lingo. We don't have a character limit so you don't really have to abbreviate anything.

Goobylal
01-20-2014, 02:33 PM
As far as I know.

YardRat
01-20-2014, 02:35 PM
There's an article on the web that indicates as many as five guys are still in the running.

better days
01-20-2014, 02:51 PM
There's an article on the web that indicates as many as five guys are still in the running.

I hope the Browns pick the OC from Denver.....................the guy that had little to do with the teams success.

stuckincincy
01-21-2014, 05:25 AM
I don't know what that means. Please spell it out for this old timer who doesn't understand all the Twitter lingo. We don't have a character limit so you don't really have to abbreviate anything.

OK...sorry, Okay.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know. It predates Twitter by many a year.

JoeMama
01-21-2014, 09:02 AM

Yes, please.

Jameis Winston is a phenom and will make every QB in the NFL look like trash by comparison.

JoeMama
01-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Who cares. The Bills are still going to suck next year. Marrone is a terrible coach.

I only quoted this because your avatar has some rockin ass b-cheeks.

kishoph
01-21-2014, 09:40 AM
From reports in the media, it sound like Pettine does want the job, I heard a couple of times that he has been asked back for a second interview. I hope none of this is true or it doesn't happen, but if it does, we also have to think about assistants that Pettine may take with him. DB coach Donnie Henderson has been a DC in the past and could be a consideration. DL coach Anthony Weaver may also be someone Pettine would think about taking along. Henederson and Weaver would have to be hired in higher positions other than position coaches, unless the Bills let them go. Could Henderson or Weaver be a consideration for DC if Pettine gets/takes the job ?

trapezeus
01-21-2014, 10:04 AM
pettine is clearly in favor with Rex Ryan from the history. i think it's an easy gamble for pettine to make...go for a gig with more money, more control. and if it doesn't work out, rex who just signed a long term contract and survived what was supposed to be his final season will definitely make room for him in some manner to come back.

Pettine is gone. we all saw that this was a potential problem when he was hired. and the bills apparently will run with their standard operating procudure of letting guys who have done the job that was asked of them well and let them leave hoping that unproven back up will prove just as capable. anyone want to bet that the browns will have a better record than the bills next year?

mightysimi
01-21-2014, 11:45 AM
The guy from Denver is out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/21/adam-gase-tells-browns-to-go-on-without-him/

SpikedLemonade
01-21-2014, 12:02 PM
SEA Quinn is probably still the favourite but he runs a 4-3 and the Browns just spent a lot to switch to a 3-4 which was a better D than the Bills this past year.

Pettine could get it based solely on his 3-4 experience.

Don't Panic
01-21-2014, 03:38 PM
This thing should work itself out pretty quickly now. If Pettine isn't offered in the next few days, he'd be wise to pull out so that he doesn't look like a 2nd choice (terrible way to start your tenure). If he is, then they obviously liked him over Quinn, or the thought of Quinn that is.

Ed
01-21-2014, 03:57 PM
This thing should work itself out pretty quickly now. If Pettine isn't offered in the next few days, he'd be wise to pull out so that he doesn't look like a 2nd choice (terrible way to start your tenure). If he is, then they obviously liked him over Quinn, or the thought of Quinn that is.
Doesn't he already look like a 2nd or 3rd choice? If he were even close to their top choice I think he would have gotten an interview a lot sooner and would already be their coach.

cookie G
01-21-2014, 06:21 PM
Asked if Pettine is simply going through the motions to gain interview experience, Tim Graham of The Buffalo News tweeted that a source close to the coach said that he wants the job "badly."

Pettine spent years as Rex Ryan's trusted assistant with the Ravens and Jets. Pettine's work with New York's defense is chronicled in Nicholas Dawidoff's "Collision Low Crossers," a gridiron epic painting him as the son of a coach and a football lifer. Pettine's Bills shattered a franchise record with 57 sacks in 2013.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000316219/article/browns-to-interview-mike-pettine-dan-quinn-again

Sigh...

Take a million or two from the money earmarked for Don't-Hurt-Me-Beatmode Byrd and offer Pettine a raise. Maybe a promise that he is candidate #1 when Marrone is fired.

I don't care if he becomes the highest paid assistant in the league, he's worth more to the defense than 3 or 4 ints a season.

SquishDaFish
01-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Im sure this is noone and I asked for his source BUT....
Brett ‏<s>@</s>BuffaloBrett11 (https://twitter.com/BuffaloBrett11) <small class="time"> 5m (https://twitter.com/BuffaloBrett11/status/425792341753208832) </small> DC PETTINE turned down the HC position with CLEVELAND thank GOD

The Jokeman
01-21-2014, 07:01 PM
SEA Quinn is probably still the favourite but he runs a 4-3 and the Browns just spent a lot to switch to a 3-4 which was a better D than the Bills this past year.

Pettine could get it based solely on his 3-4 experience.
If the Browns were smart they'd find a smart young offensive mind and then hire Wade Phillips to coach their D.

lightningbolt444
01-21-2014, 07:38 PM
According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns might decide to "look no further" if Bills DC Mike Pettine's second interview for the team's head-coaching vacancy goes well on Tuesday evening.

stuckincincy
01-22-2014, 02:02 AM
Latest blurb from the Plain Dealer:

Browns leave Senior Bowl with no deal for Bills DC Mike Pettine, will interview another candidate Wednesday
Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group,updated January 22, 2014 at 1:22 AM

"CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns interviewed Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine for their head coaching vacancy a second time Tuesday night in Mobile, Ala., but they left town without a deal and have another interview scheduled for Wednesday morning, a league source told cleveland.com.

The source described as premature a late-night tweet by a Buffalo News reporter saying he heard the deal with Pettine was close. But as anyone in Cleveland knows all too well, things can change on a dime in these coaching searches.
The meeting began at about 4 p.m. and last about four hours. It included Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, CEO Joe Banner, President Alec Scheiner and general manager Mike Lombardi.
The Browns were prepared to hire Pettine, 47, on the spot if things went well. He's represented by Creative Artists Agency's Trace Armstrong, who specializes in representing coaches."...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/browns_leave_senior_bowl_with.html

Novacane
01-22-2014, 07:13 AM
- The Cleveland Browns organization is not getting much respect here at the Senior Bowl. The attitude towards the Browns, specifically the front office, from personnel people around the league has ranged from disparaging to downright nasty. Several comments were passed at the South’s afternoon practice that few are surprised the Cleveland franchise cannot find a head coach considering “those in charge”. In fact choice adjectives were used by front office people here in Mobile to describe “those in charge” in Cleveland.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=9333

This is the only reason Pettine got an interview imo

kingJofNYC
01-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Yeah he's a **** coach, novacane the great has spoken.

coastal
01-22-2014, 07:52 AM
He's not a "**** coach" per se, but his resume doesn't really point to someone ready to take the next step in his career.

them again.. Marrone didn't exactly fit the mold, but he did a fair job this year.

pmoon6
01-22-2014, 07:59 AM
I think Cleveland should bring back Marty Shottenheimer.

Novacane
01-22-2014, 08:16 AM

What a stupid ****ing post.

justasportsfan
01-22-2014, 09:58 AM
Lets see how good Gaughans sources are.

Report: Pettine is 'going to get' Browns job

The Buffalo News reports Bills DC Mike Pettine is "going to get the Browns job," and that a deal is "close."

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported the sides parted without an agreement Tuesday evening, but it sounds like there are only minor details left to be worked out. It's quite possible a deal will be finalized in the next 12-24 hours. After weeks of embarrassment, it appears the Browns might finally have their man.

Source: Mark Gaughan on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/282363/report-pettine-is-going-to-get-browns-job

ghz in pittsburgh
01-22-2014, 10:49 AM
I really don't care. In fact I think it's good sign for Marrone. I have asked here before: who, as a Bills assistant coach, was hired away to be a HC of another team the last time? You have to go back to the super bowl years.

A tell-tell sign of a good coach is how many of his staff go on to be hired as HC somewhere else. Just about every good one, Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Cowher, Billichick, and to a lesser degree, Peyton, Shanahan etc., has that. It just proves that these guys can identify talent in coaching, which means they will turn around and hire more good ones when given a chance.

stuckincincy
01-22-2014, 12:17 PM
A tell-tell sign of a good coach is how many of his staff go on to be hired as HC somewhere else.

Marvin Lewis? Gruden, Zimmer, Frazier. :spade:

GingerP
01-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1h
Cleveland's HC search down to two finalists who will meet with Browns' brass Thursday, per league sources. Bills DC Mike Pettine a favorite.