PDA

View Full Version : Marrone planning to hire QBs coach

Meathead
01-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Bills head coach Doug Marrone has intentions to add a quarterbacks coach to Buffalo's offensive staff to lighten the load on Nathaniel Hackett's shoulders in 2014.

“Obviously Nathaniel Hackett can do it all,” Marrone told Buffalobills.com Monday. “I think it was very difficult for him this year with three quarterbacks that we had to get ready with Kevin Kolb getting injured. I think that was very difficult.

“He has a responsibility of being the offensive coordinator and calling the plays and that’s a lot. Even though Nathaniel has voiced to me that it’s not a problem and he can do it and there’s no doubt in my mind that he can, it’s my responsibility to bring people in that can help and support.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Marrone-planning-to-hire-QBs-coach/2e378b69-def0-49fc-8c75-5df565aaa49a

im not usually a complainer but you gotta admit its pretty alarming that some dufus like me can tell you even before the season started that it was a monumental mistake not to hire a qb coach - but the coaches themselves dont realize it until after the season is over

if ej doesnt work out both those guys are likely fired after next season. i woulda loved to be in those meeting rooms when they were discussing this last summer. wtf did they think was going to happen when you had your first first round qb in a decade to get ready, a shakey veteran who couldnt even win a backup job on a qb starved team, and an undrafted rookie third stringer? like how did they look each other in the face and actually believe they didnt need a qb coach? oh well we have nathan hackett, and squeeky green offensive coordinator who has never done that job in the pros and he can also be our qb coach, another job hes never done in the pros. sounds like a good plan to me too!

i still expect ej to improve dramatically next season and be a 'good enough' nfl starter but having a full season of dedicated coaching would have only improved those odds. their arrogance in not getting a qb coach right out of the chute could be what killed their chances here

JoeMama
01-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Tom Clements <3

better days
01-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Hire a QB Coach. Great Idea.

Now he just needs to hire a Special Teams Coach & maybe a DC for next year.

TigerJ
01-20-2014, 09:38 PM
I certainly agree with the hiring of a QB coach. Maybe the Bills should have done so last year, but I can also understand Nate Hackett's thinking. He thought it could be confusing for a young QB to be hearing advice from too many different sources (the old too many cooks spoil the broth argument). In any case, I think having been in the system for a season, Manuel, not to mention Lewis and Tuel know Hackett well enough that hiring a QB coach now is not going to cause more problems than it's going to solve.

The Jokeman
01-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Bills head coach Doug Marrone has intentions to add a quarterbacks coach to Buffalo's offensive staff to lighten the load on Nathaniel Hackett's shoulders in 2014.

“Obviously Nathaniel Hackett can do it all,” Marrone told Buffalobills.com Monday. “I think it was very difficult for him this year with three quarterbacks that we had to get ready with Kevin Kolb getting injured. I think that was very difficult.

“He has a responsibility of being the offensive coordinator and calling the plays and that’s a lot. Even though Nathaniel has voiced to me that it’s not a problem and he can do it and there’s no doubt in my mind that he can, it’s my responsibility to bring people in that can help and support.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Marrone-planning-to-hire-QBs-coach/2e378b69-def0-49fc-8c75-5df565aaa49a

im not usually a complainer but you gotta admit its pretty alarming that some dufus like me can tell you even before the season started that it was a monumental mistake not to hire a qb coach - but the coaches themselves dont realize it until after the season is over

if ej doesnt work out both those guys are likely fired after next season. i woulda loved to be in those meeting rooms when they were discussing this last summer. wtf did they think was going to happen when you had your first first round qb in a decade to get ready, a shakey veteran who couldnt even win a backup job on a qb starved team, and an undrafted rookie third stringer? like how did they look each other in the face and actually believe they didnt need a qb coach? oh well we have nathan hackett, and squeeky green offensive coordinator who has never done that job in the pros and he can also be our qb coach, another job hes never done in the pros. sounds like a good plan to me too!

i still expect ej to improve dramatically next season and be a 'good enough' nfl starter but having a full season of dedicated coaching would have only improved those odds. their arrogance in not getting a qb coach right out of the chute could be what killed their chances here

Maybe Chris Brown is reporting it but the way that article reads Marrone doesn't seem convinced we need a QB coach except that part where he mentioned that Hackett was a little over whelmed at times. That said I agree with you it was a mistake not having one last year.

Tom Clements <3

He's the OC in Green Bay last I heard, I doubt he'd come here as QB coach. AVP seems realistic buy with questions surrounding if the Packers let him take the job leave him a question mark unless we try and convince Paul Hackett. Let's not forget we also have an opening at WR coaching job. I know Rob Moore held the job with Marrone in Syracuse and didn't coach last year so maybe we bring him in this year?

TigerJ
01-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Moore is still listed on the staff at Syracuse University. Of course, that would not prevent him from leaving Syracuse if Marrone offered him the job of WR coach.
http://suathletics.syr.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=723&path=football

WagonCircler
01-21-2014, 01:49 AM
Hire a QB Coach. Great Idea.

Now he just needs to hire a Special Teams Coach & maybe a DC for next year.

And a Quarterback.

SpikedLemonade
01-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Marrone's loyalty to Hackett will be his undoing.

justasportsfan
01-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Marrone's loyalty to Hackett will be his undoing.

Hackett's grade is still incomplete. As stated on the article, Hackett has had to play QB coach and coordinator for 3 different rookies who have had a total of 1 game experience (thad) between them.

Under Hacketts 1st season with the bills , the team ranked 19th in total O. Under Gaileys 3rd year with an experienced qb who was in his 3rd year under the same system, the bills ranked 19 as well.

If I were to put Marrones crony loyalty in question based on field performance and results, that would be of his buddy Crossman.

TacklingDummy
01-21-2014, 03:58 PM
QB Coach won't help.
Either a QB has it or doesn't.

Oldbillsfan
01-21-2014, 04:17 PM
qb coach?

trapezeus
01-21-2014, 04:18 PM
i have to say, the bills have learned to hide their collosal mistakes better, but still when you step back and look at the team like the way a person who doesn't know your team would, they continue to be a gigantic cluster****.

the one shining beacon of hope is our defense. the offense and head coaching was down right bad at times. if the DC is looking to go, can the coach and OC and let him stay here and run it his way. we would retain more people for continuity than letting him go and gut the defense.

To think EJ is just a qb coach away is so short sighted. the guy had missed three sections of games due to injury. serious questions on his durability have come up. We'll see how they address them. i think if you seriously want to be a contender for next year, you need to start thinking about drafting high again for a QB. have them push each other.

I'm curious to see what level Brandon gets promoted to after this round of failure is done. Grand Poomba of WNY for his excellent service to Ralph. And watch out, stones of buffalo. all of you are getting turned over on this next hire!

YardRat
01-21-2014, 10:08 PM
QB Coach won't help.
Either a QB has it or doesn't.

Personally, I think EJ showed enough flashes during crucial moments to hint that he may have 'it'. Maybe not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady-type 'it', but Eli Manning, Joe Flacco-type 'it'. I don't need him to dominate during the regular season and shatter record books, but making plays at big moments during the playoffs when the game is on the line would be good enough for me.

trapezeus
01-22-2014, 07:58 AM
you have to play in the game to be able to be slightly above average. i don't know if he has the durability to make it. he has to go next year through all 16 games to shake this year's rep.

The Jokeman
01-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Personally, I think EJ showed enough flashes during crucial moments to hint that he may have 'it'. Maybe not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady-type 'it', but Eli Manning, Joe Flacco-type 'it'. I don't need him to dominate during the regular season and shatter record books, but making plays at big moments during the playoffs when the game is on the line would be good enough for me.

You've pretty much summed up what makes the great QBs great in my eyes. As when called on to make a play they just find a way to do it. We saw EJ do it against Carolina and Baltimore and looked like he was doing it before he got in Cleveland hurt and would have in Atlanta if not for some fumbles by his receivers.