PDA

View Full Version : Tort Reform

Meathead
01-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Tortorella gets 15 days without pay for fight

The NHL suspended Vancouver coach John Tortorella for 15 days without pay Monday night for his part in a chaotic meeting with Calgary.

The former Sabres assistant and Rochester head coach confronted the Flames at their dressing room during the first intermission Saturday. He was incensed after Calgary coach Bob Hartley loaded the starting lineup with tough guys, which resulted in a 10-player brawl as soon as the puck dropped.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vlel1VPZ4zA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/tortorella-gets-15-days-without-pay-for-fight-20140120

had to post this for two reasons

1. cant pass up that thread title

c. Sabres coach Ted Nolan said Monday he wouldn’t have countered Hartley’s moves. “I think in 1964 maybe you respond a certain way,” Nolan said. “Now we’re trying to sell this game, and you don’t sell it like that. … We’re in the hockey business, not in the fighting business.” [OUCH!]

Downinfloflo
01-21-2014, 12:49 PM
That's why he has john Scott on the ice every chance he gets, Nolan don't have the players to do it anyway.

Torts was a idiot for going to the locker room, The rest was fine, Calgary wanted to send a message and he responded.

If Teddy Bear wants to get his players knocked out that's cool too.

Night Train
01-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Tortorella may be finishing up his last job in the NHL.

He's become a parody of himself and the act is played.

Meathead
01-21-2014, 01:36 PM
that was probably true in his earlier nhl coaching days, which provides a reasonable irony to his zinger. but theres a big diff btwn wanting a rugged style and brawling. to his credit this time around ted has been clear he didnt want staged fights or looking to start them, worrying about hockey first and still have the bodies to knock guys out if youre forced to. scott has been in very few fights and stayed mostly within that objective while improving as a player

so really huge diff btwn torts and nolan at this point in that regard. i do think its true torts overreacted and ultimately created that brawl. whatever message calgary was trying to send would have to wait. putting your skill guys out as the answer is the way to go imo. i really dont think the flames were planning on beating up whoever was put out there, but once the other designated thugs were in front of them it was go goons time

there was such a long obvious awkward pause at the start of the game, everybody knew what was coming. the refs looked like they were in on the joke too or something. i half expected a chick in a bikini and surgically enhanced boobs to skate a lap holding a round card

Rockstar
01-21-2014, 03:47 PM
That's why he has john Scott on the ice every chance he gets, Nolan don't have the players to do it anyway.

Torts was a idiot for going to the locker room, The rest was fine, Calgary wanted to send a message and he responded.

If Teddy Bear wants to get his players knocked out that's cool too.

Ted Nolan is a genius in fact he wants to bring real passion back to Buffalo Sabres hockey.

I personally believe that Nolan hates the staged fight. Myself, as someone who loves the sport and still plays I also despise the staged fight. Players like Andrew Peters should never have made it into the NHL. He couldn't skate at all, not at all. Is Scott that much better? No, but it’s obvious he is smarter and can at least understand the basic aspects of clearing a puck out of the zone and making a pass.

Peters was a frat boy on steroids. That isn’t an insult against Peters, it a fact. I’ve hung out with the guy, he is a good hearted funny guy, but outright brags he was “juiced out of his mind” and he never showed any real hockey skill. Scott has at least back-checked, made some good passes, shot the puck, hell, he scored a goal this season!

Back to my point after going off on a tangent. Ted Nolan hates staged fights but I don’t believe for a second he dislikes fighting. What I believe is Nolan wants passion, if two players start fighting, mutually, that is passion. Fighting to fight? Stupid.

Staged fighting is a product of the always ignorant NHL screwing up the sport I love by instituting the fighting instigator penalty. These buffoons that run the NHL thought it would be smart to stop players from fighting in an honest passion filled moment. Instead, with no-one involved in the decision who understands basic human psychology they created not only the staged fighting phenomenon, but aided to dirty play that wasn't held accountable and flourished.

What works is when to forwards of comparable size and skill battle in the corner and end up dropping the gloves out of passion.

Great job NHL, epic fail AGAIN!

Ted Nolan doesn't hate fighting; he wants passion to win hockey games, whether in a fight, a goal, or a backcheck.

Downinfloflo
01-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Ted Nolan wants to keep his job...He will slurp anyone to keep it.

You were all crying the blues about how soft Buffalo was after Miller got his ass concussed by Milan Luccic.

You would have loved to see the Sabres with the ability to fight back.

Rockstar
01-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Ted Nolan wants to keep his job...He will slurp anyone to keep it.

You were all crying the blues about how soft Buffalo was after Miller got his ass concussed by Milan Luccic.

You would have loved to see the Sabres with the ability to fight back.

We were cryin the blues (true) for a period of time because the team was a bunch of pussies. That isn’t the case anymore. Being pussies is so much more than fighting. It’s significantly more about the effort, the work in the corner, the front of the net, these are the areas you earn other teams respect or lose it, and then they start running your netminder. Hell! A few times since Teddy took over we were the team running the goaltender!

We don’t have a lot of fights now because teams respect us and know they can’t push us around anymore. We play as a team, team tough. We hit, backcheck and stick up for one another.

This is a team that is slowly growing into something special. And Ted Nolan is responsible for much of it. He doesn’t need to do anything other than be himself, he is an honest man and it’s translating into an honest effort from his team.

swiper
01-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Ted Nolan knows this is his "extra"shot at coaching in the NHL. He knows he's into the 16th minute of his 15 minutes of fame. If that's what you meant by "slurp anyone". He's not going to blow it. He was very good at certain aspects of NHL coaching. He will stick to that. And hopefully stay away from the blow and the goalies wives he will bring life back to this team - as soon as it finds some real players.