PDA

View Full Version : So exactly the same demand from Byrd according to this report ...

ghz in pittsburgh
01-21-2014, 12:38 PM
http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/source-byrd-wants-at-least-9-million-annually/

mightysimi
01-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Great. Here we go again.

Night Train
01-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Will his plantar fasciitis flair up again, or is that financially induced ?

better days
01-21-2014, 01:23 PM
That report is by Pat Moran, a guy with NO credibility.

JoeMama
01-21-2014, 01:55 PM

As if your credibility is so great.

IE the Patriots are doomed to be terrible.

That sure didn't happen.

Meathead
01-21-2014, 01:56 PM
tnt

Buddo
01-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Doesn't matter. Byrd and Parker are very likely to be asking for around that, based off of Parker's rationale about being paid for past performance. Byrd was supposedly after about $8.5 million last year, and bearing in mind what Goldson and Weddle got, that is about the right number. Byrd only got $6.9 million last year, so that represents a shortfall, of about $1.6 million, which Parker would want simply added into any deal signed.
Bearing in mind some of the other things being said about what Byrd might get on the open market - which isn't anywhere near $9 million per, I think the Bills should call Parkers bluff, and offer Byrd what Goldson got, but with a higher guarantee, and say 'take it or leave it'. That would be about the franchise tag number anyway, so we could still tag and trade Byrd. Thing is, I don't believe he will get the same money, from anyone else. I simply don't feel that the NFL as a whole, values the position that highly.

Ed
01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
I have no reason to believe that Byrd would give the Bills any kind of break. Makes sense that he would only re-sign before free agency on his terms.

I think Byrd is as good as gone. The only question now is if they can work a tag and trade.

coastal
01-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Oh for Christ's sake... just give the man $8.5/year if that's what he wants.

Then let's on getting 2 new guards, a RT and a MLB.

we could do all that with a couple of key free agents and a couple of smart draft picks.

ThunderGun
01-21-2014, 02:15 PM
"According to a source familiar with what pending free agent Jairus Byrd requires from the Buffalo Bills to consider re-signing before free agency starts..."

huh?

So the source is familiar with Byrd? Or not with Byrd, but with what Byrd will require from the Bills, in order for him to consider re-signing?

Who the hell wrote this trash, and why does anybody think it is anything more than some amateur, wanna-be reporter, throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks, while "reporting" what was widely assumed last season?

coastal
01-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Here's coastal's complicated offseason plan.

resign Byrd, Carrington and Chandler. Sign Brandon Spikes and Mack in free agency.

draft the best OT in round one and best guard in round 2. 3rd round power back.

playoffs.

Idiots.

Bill Cody
01-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Will his plantar fasciitis flair up again yes

or is that financially induced ? yes

DraftBoy
01-21-2014, 02:34 PM

resign Byrd, Carrington and Chandler. Sign Brandon Spikes and Mack in free agency.

playoffs.

Idiots.

Reports are saying Mack is already going to TB, so you can cross him off your plan.

ThunderGun
01-21-2014, 02:38 PM

resign Byrd, Carrington and Chandler.

Idiots.

You really think there is a chance we'll re-sign not one, but two of Eugene Parker's clients this off-season? lol. Not gonna happen.

coastal
01-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Reports are saying Mack is already going to TB, so you can cross him off your plan.
Them who would u target on the oline?

- - - Updated - - -

You really think there is a chance we'll re-sign not one, but two of Eugene Parker's clients this off-season? lol. Not gonna happen.
Why not... it's called paying people.

SpikedLemonade
01-21-2014, 02:42 PM
I think the Bills should give Byrd a $9M/ year contract with $25M in a Signing Bonus.

However, I would like the $25M gathered in $20 bills and have Ralph personally hand it to Byrd.

If that does kill the old bastard, I don't know what will.

mead107
01-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Pay him. Getter done.

DraftBoy
01-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Them who would u target on the oline?

Jon Asamough

Don't Panic
01-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Wow... there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

I say screw it... give him something close to that. When we finally build our championship contender, I don't want there to be any weak links. That means drafting really well for the next two years and keeping the high quality guys whose contracts come up. Byrd qualifies. Let's make really tough decisions on resigning guys while basking in the shadow of a recently won Lombardi trophy. Sound good?

coastal
01-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Jon Asamough
Ok deal... how's my plan now?

Ed
01-21-2014, 04:04 PM
Get a WR and TE in rounds 2 and 3 and a G and RB in rounds 4 and 5 and it looks pretty good.

DraftBoy
01-21-2014, 06:38 PM

Still missing help on the outside, lacks LB depth, no true NT, and doesn't address a QB to push EJ. Not a bad start, but its not very in-depth for the amount of holes we have.

The Jokeman
01-21-2014, 07:29 PM

playoffs.

Idiots.

I've been saying it since last offseason, the Bills need to find some starting NFL caliber receiving options outside of Stevie Johnson. Ignoring it isn't going to help us any. Look at what the Dolphins did in 2013, I hope the Bills follow suit.

gr8slayer
01-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Pay the man.

coastal
01-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Still missing help on the outside, lacks LB depth, no true NT, and doesn't address a QB to push EJ. Not a bad start, but its not very in-depth for the amount of holes we have.
4th round QB.

It's a realistic plan that gets us to 9-7.

Then there's next offseason to build the AFC East champs.

The Jokeman
01-21-2014, 07:50 PM
4th round QB.

We need to upgrade our receiving core with proven guys if want to be realistic at going 9-7. As I have no faith in anyone on the roster outside of Stevie Johnson or Robert Woods in the passing game and Woods is serviceable. So if you throw in adding a Fred Davis (as think my idea of landing Pitta not likely with talk he could get franchised in Baltimore) and James Jones I could say we have a better chance. I'd also see what it take to get a G/T like Jeff Linkenbach if can't afford Jon Asamoah as an UFA.

The Jokeman
01-21-2014, 07:53 PM

I agree we lack a true NT and love to grab one but with so many other holes we might have to keep with the two DTs we have and maybe draft a guy Rounds 5-7 to develop as a NT. What are your thoughts of taking someone like Yawin Smallwood at LB in Round 3 to man the middle?

YardRat
01-21-2014, 10:00 PM

playoffs.

Idiots.

Jon Asamough

Don't re-sign Byrd and use his projected money to help bring in Mack, Spikes and Asamoah, re-sign Carrington and Chandler, draft OT in the first and Dion Bailey, USC FS, in the third.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

YardRat
01-21-2014, 10:19 PM

Kiko kicks outside, RB, NT and QB get filled in with other picks...maybe a couple of second/third level FA's get added to the mix for depth.

better days
01-21-2014, 11:16 PM
As if your credibility is so great.

IE the Patriots are doomed to be terrible.

That sure didn't happen.

Well, I did say the Pats* would most likely win the AFC EAST which they did.

And they got knocked out of the playoffs before reaching the Super Bowl which I also said.

stuckincincy
01-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Don't re-sign Byrd and use his projected money to help bring in Mack, Spikes and Asamoah, re-sign Carrington and Chandler, draft OT in the first and Dion Bailey, USC FS, in the third.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Raise ticket prices by fifteen bucks. People can have their Byrd...and eat it, too. :band:

JoeMama
01-22-2014, 01:20 AM
Pay him whatever the **** he wants, unless you want to continue being a 14 year playoff drought team.

jdaltroy5
01-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.That's hilarious.

You're opposed to overpaying Byrd, yet you think Mack, Spikes, and Asamoah are just going to come here for fair market value?

justasportsfan
01-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Based on the author of the article, the Bills will most likely resign Byrd if he is caught with PED's crossing the canadian border .

stuckincincy
01-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Byrd is a slow corner back who got named a safety, and was allowed by BUF coaching regimes to roam around, pick his nose, until an errant ball came his way. No other team bit on his and his agent's gambit last season. I doubt they will bite on it this coming season.

jdaltroy5
01-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Byrd is a slow corner back who got named a safety, and was allowed by BUF coaching regimes to roam around, pick his nose, until an errant ball came his way. No other team bit on his and his agent's gambit last season. I doubt they will bite on it this coming season.Clearly Ralph Wilson has figured out how to use the internet.

DraftBoy
01-22-2014, 04:08 PM
4th round QB.

I don't think the roster additions you mention get us to 9-7.

YardRat
01-22-2014, 05:36 PM
That's hilarious.

You're opposed to overpaying Byrd, yet you think Mack, Spikes, and Asamoah are just going to come here for fair market value?

What is your perception of fair market value for those players, and why do you think they wouldn't? Other than that, as I've been adamant about, Byrd DOESN'T fit this defense. Spikes does, and both Mack and Asamoah would instantly improve the oline by a ton. Paying Byrd isn't going to improve the defense.

Mack is a pipe-dream anyway, but I'm holding on to it until he actually signs somewhere :D

The Beef
01-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Dumb not to pay him.

Earl Thomas is going to get a new deal in a year or two, and Berry's rookie contract pays him 10 million a year. The 8.5 - 9 million a year is the going rate. Byrd is in his prime. This isn't a 27 year old running back looking at his final pay day.

Lock him up and move on to filling holes. I'm not intersted in finding out how good Duke Williams is or seeing Jim Leonhard start 8 games again next year.

If healthy the secondary should be on a level close to the DLINE talent wise.

Sign Byrd.

Build the OL and LB units. Find a playmaker at TE/WR (preferably both).

Whaley will show me a lot this offseason. If Byrd walks and we are bringing in retreads to plug holes, all Brandon and Ralph haters will be justified to continue with the business as usual card.

kishoph
01-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Based on the author of the article, the Bills will most likely resign Byrd if he is caught with PED's crossing the canadian border .

lol, I would never take anything written by Moran seriously (I didn't read the link), but Parker and Byrd asking for the same or more is what should be expected, especially after his "pro bow year". I in no way do I agree with making him the top paid safety and also believe that he wouldn't get it from just about any other team, although there's always someone foolish enough to overpay. Tag him and trade him or let him sit and search the internet for a new injury.

Skooby
01-22-2014, 07:43 PM

He used to be defended here, not anymore.

justasportsfan
01-23-2014, 08:47 AM
lol, I would never take anything written by Moran seriously (I didn't read the link), but Parker and Byrd asking for the same or more is what should be expected, especially after his "pro bow year". I in no way do I agree with making him the top paid safety and also believe that he wouldn't get it from just about any other team, although there's always someone foolish enough to overpay. Tag him and trade him or let him sit and search the internet for a new injury.

My sources are telling that the bills are unlikely to sign all their FA's back.

OpIv37
01-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Without reading through this whole thread:

The article says Byrd wants $45 million over 5 years. That averages $9 mil a season. If we franchise him again, it's $8.3 million.

Really? 700k? That's chump change to an NFL team. I know- in reality it's more complex than that because the contract would likely be front-loaded, they'd have to pay the signing bonus up front and some of it would count against this year's cap, etc. but in reality, they aren't that far apart.

And people wonder why we say this team is cheap....

And before someone says "he's not worth it," well find someone who is and use the cap space on them, because last year we were $18 million under the cap and the money wound up stuffed in Ralph's mattress.

Raptor
01-24-2014, 05:48 AM
So Pat Moran stating the obvious is considered a "Source" now. No **** he's going to ask flor the same thing, hes still an elite safety