PDA

View Full Version : Nfl dumping PAT?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-21-2014, 10:07 PM
This is a weird idea
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/01/21/nfl-considering-proposal-to-eliminate-extra-points/?intcmp=trending

OpIv37
01-21-2014, 10:11 PM
I'm in. 7 for a TD- option to go for 2- 8 if you make it, 6 if you miss. Speed it up and don't waste time on an automatic play.

YardRat
01-21-2014, 10:12 PM
I usually have a little bit of an aversion to change, but the 7, 8 or 6 pts idea is kind of intriguing. Might add a pretty exciting element to the game.

Buffalogic
01-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Sooner the better

OpIv37
01-21-2014, 11:10 PM
I usually have a little bit of an aversion to change, but the 7, 8 or 6 pts idea is kind of intriguing. Might add a pretty exciting element to the game.

My initial reaction was to keep things the way they are, but then I realized I was doing something that the Virginia legislature is infamous for that I hate: using "Because we've always done it that way" as a legitimate justification.

I'm sure that at some point in the history of the game, kicking the xp made sense. Now, it doesn't. Time to move on.

better days
01-21-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm in. 7 for a TD- option to go for 2- 8 if you make it, 6 if you miss. Speed it up and don't waste time on an automatic play.

How about this instead.

Make the extra point a longer kick. 10 -20 yds longer.

And if the kick is not good, the other team has the option of getting the ball at the spot of the kick.

And you are NOT going to speed the game up anyway.

The NFL & TV Networks want that time for commercials.

jimmifli
01-21-2014, 11:51 PM
I'm sure that at some point in the history of the game, kicking the xp made sense. Now, it doesn't. Time to move on.
Before specialized kickers?

I always skip it anyways. TD = instant beer, food or piss break. Especially now since all the kickoffs are touchbacks (well for most of the NFL anyways). I can skip a bunch of commercials and irrelevant plays. The networks are probably having trouble selling those spots for full value. All the dvr and internet streams give advertisers more data about viewing habits, coupled with some recall tests and advertisers have a pretty good idea on real viewership during each ad slot. Changing to an instant 7 points means it's only one break after the TD or kickoff. The networks will still get the same number of ads in, but there won't be as long a time between irrelevant plays.

Works for me. It's a silly play.

imbondz
01-21-2014, 11:58 PM
how about the kicker has to kick all extra pts with his opposite foot?

imbondz
01-21-2014, 11:59 PM

that's not going to speed things up. if anything that will make things longer. don't mind it tho. going for 2 is always exciting.

jimmifli
01-22-2014, 12:10 AM
how about the kicker has to kick all extra pts with his opposite foot?
Must be kicked by a player over 300lbs. I'd love to watch Cordy trying to kick a PAT.

YardRat
01-22-2014, 05:21 AM
Must be kicked by a player over 300lbs. I'd love to watch Cordy trying to kick a PAT.

Well, that's one way to get production out of guys like Pears and Legursky.

Forward_Lateral
01-23-2014, 06:51 AM
I've always said this:

If you score a TD, you get 7. If you want to go for two, you can either try to get it in the endzone from the 2 yard line, or have the kicker line up for a 50 yard FG.

I'd also love to see instead of onside kicks, have a 4th and 15-20 situation from your own 20 yard line. If you convert it, you get the ball, if you don't the opponent gets it.

kishoph
01-23-2014, 07:02 AM
I'd also love to see instead of onside kicks, have a 4th and 15-20 situation from your own 20 yard line. If you convert it, you get the ball, if you don't the opponent gets it.

Some onside kicks are still done with the element of surprise (not many), getting the ball placed for a play from scrimmage would remove that element of surprise.

ParanoidAndroid
01-23-2014, 09:13 AM

That doesn't add anything. All it does is remove the extra point kick from the TD equation. The two-point conversion is already in place.

Forward_Lateral
01-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Some onside kicks are still done with the element of surprise (not many), getting the ball placed for a play from scrimmage would remove that element of surprise.

Yes, but it would make it a bit less than impossible to get the ball back.

stuckincincy
01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
This is a weird idea
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/01/21/nfl-considering-proposal-to-eliminate-extra-points/?intcmp=trending

Just another crack in the wall... :(

BillsFever21
01-24-2014, 03:42 PM
This isn't really any different in the grand scheme of things except they would be getting rid of the extra point. A TD is normally 7 points since the extra point is basically automatic.

If they just stand pat then they get 7 points like they normally would've with the extra point. If they go for the extra point conversion and miss it then they end up with 6 points like they would've anyway. If they make it then they end up with 8 points like they still would've before any rule changes.

This doesn't really change any strategies with the current XP and 2pt conversion if they change the rules. The coaches will still need to use the same strategy on whether they want to try for the 8th point or keep the 7 points. The only possible difference it would make is with the handful of extra points that are missed during the season where they would lose the point instead of automatically getting 7 points.

The play is meaningless so it doesn't matter to me if they change the rule or not. If doesn't effect any strategies for currently going for the 2pt conversion. If they wanted to make it a little more difficult then they could move the ball back and make them kick a 30 yard FG for the extra point like others mentioned and wouldn't be a bad idea. If they wanted to go for 2 points then the ball could still be placed at the same spot as it currently is. At least the 30 yard FG would make it a little more difficult instead of automatic.

I don't see where this would cause anymore excitement because the outcome will still be the same if they decide to try for the 8 points instead of sticking with the 7 points like they get with the basically automatic extra point. If they miss the conversion then they still end up with 6 points and if they make it then they end up with 8 points. No difference at all in the scoring so it won't really change any strategy on the thinking of the coaches.

This is just a way for them to take a boring play out of the game and reduce exposure to plays on special teams like they already have by moving the kickoff 5 yards further and increasing the touchback rate. If they want to get rid of special teams that much then just keep a FG unit and get rid of punts too while they're at it. They are just as "dangerous" as kickoffs. If the team doesn't want to go for the 4th down then the other team will net a defined amount of yardage depending on the current field position. That would be stupid and I doubt they would do it but if they truly want to get rid of special teams then that would be another way of doing so.

BuffaloRedleg
01-24-2014, 07:38 PM
The NFL will lose a lot of money by not being able to force us to watch TD/Commercial/FG/Commercial/KickOff/Commercial over and over and over and over.