• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Bills to run free agency like last year

“We call them dust settle guys. After all the dust settles, but we can target guys now. We’ll see when the dust settles, but we can also go to them on day one and say this is what we’re willing to offer, but they’re not going to be big splash guys.”

Ugh... That means more of the same. Forget guys like Asamoah, Michael Johnson, Graham, probably Strief. Not happening.

Guys like DRC may still be possible but the Bills won't likely make that investment at CB again.

Chad Rhinehart is possible

So frustrating when we need to make another jump up in talent in a few places before we can be a playoff team.

Now we're again banking on the draft for everything.
    Last edited by X-Era; 01-22-2014, 05:52 AM.

• X-Era
    • Feb 2005

Re: Bills to run free agency like last year

Digging deeper into the FA pool...

I think we need a vet backup at many spots. CB, G, OT, WR stand out. I think we also need to add a returner. Here's some names that seem like "dust settles" guys that may fit.

CB- Javier Arenas- A backup CB with loads of experience. Good speed but short. Was a very good returner in college but hasn't broke any in the NFL. This is the sort of guy that should push Brooks out the door.

WR- Brandon Tate- 7th in the league as a punt returner and 5th in the league as a kick returner last year for the Bengals. Young, 6' 1", early success but trailed off. Would add return ability and some better size.

WR- Dexter McCluster- 9th in the league as a punt returner last year. Gadget guy as we all know but could add a decent screen option and play making at times.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
      http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/0...r-free-agency/

“We call them dust settle guys. After all the dust settles, but we can target guys now. We’ll see when the dust settles, but we can also go to them on day one and say this is what we’re willing to offer, but they’re not going to be big splash guys.”

Ugh... That means more of the same. Forget guys like Asamoah, Michael Johnson, Graham, probably Strief. Not happening.

Guys like DRC may still be possible but the Bills won't likely make that investment at CB again.

Chad Rhinehart is possible

So frustrating when we need to make another jump up in talent in a few places before we can be a playoff team.

Now we're again banking on the draft for everything.
      Well, I would be happy with more of the same.

If the Bills sign 3 guys that contribute as much as Manny Lawson, Alan Branch & Dan Carpenter, it will improve the team.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
        • Sep 2009

Not sure how this surprising at this point, same **** different year. Lets hope the parts they add actually contribute like these years crop.

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

if those were dust settle guys it musta been gold dust
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

If it means Brandon Pettigrew and Brandon Spikes... two Olinemen with first two picks... Maybe ok.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by coastal View Post
              If it means Brandon Pettigrew and Brandon Spikes... two Olinemen with first two picks... Maybe ok.
              I'd like Spikes too. But he's a head case and I'm not sure the Bills will sign up for that. Who knows though. Maybe he'll bring a good attitude and show up on time. Just seems like a guy like Marrone would really shy away from any possible issues like that at this point.

Loved Pettigrew coming out of Ok St. Just never did much. But who knows.
              Last edited by X-Era; 01-22-2014, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

not bad strategy, we just have the worst people to implement this with any level of confidence. it worked last year, but the team is still short talent in many spots and if they let byrd go, then it doesn't matter.

i still believe 14 years of suck is more than enough reason for a healthy dose of skepticism. they've earned it as well as the countless promotions by having worse teams every 3 years. until it changes, there is no reason to believe its getting better.

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

If done right it's not the worst strategy. It's not really dust settles its going after the right fit not the high profile.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                    Pinkerton's son
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                    something we can agree on!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like Spikes too. But he's a head case and I'm not sure the Bills will sign up for that. Who knows though. Maybe he'll bring a good attitude and show up on time. Just seems like a guy like Marrone would really shy away from any possible issues like that at this point.

Loved Pettigrew coming out of Ok St. Just never did much. But who knows.
                    I think Pettine might like (and realize he needs) a guy with a mean streak in the middle of the D.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      If done right it's not the worst strategy. It's not really dust settles its going after the right fit not the high profile.
                      Whaley said the Bills have a FA board set up just like the draft board.

Sounds good to me.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The King View Post
                        So I agree that adding guys like this is good for the team. The problem is we have real significant needs at starting positions. RT, LG, another outside WR, receiving TE, and #3 CB stand out to me.

What we do is grab a few guys like this. Don't fill all the major needs. Expect 3 rookies to start and be solid or better starters. And then keep or fill several of the remaining spots and depth with late round rookies or UDFA's.

And then we end up with Legursky blocking Wilfork, Robey covering Vincent Jackson, TJ Graham as our #2 WR, and Pears trying to block Chandler Jones.

Our overall talent is a mismatch to most playoff teams. The starters at several spots must be significantly better, the depth must be significantly better, and you just can't rely on rookies, undrafteds, and a few marginal starters from FA to fix it.

And that doesn't even look at retention of our own top talent. I mean if we lose Byrd and then fill that spot with a "dust settles" FA we just watered down our talent. If we look to a high round pick in the draft, we leave another need un-addressed and take a chance that the rookie will be as good.

And I really worry that getting great value out of Branch and Lawson while getting 3 starters (one of which was great right off the bat) is not something we can just count on repeating year after year... Which is basically what Whaley is saying they plan to do.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          Whaley said the Bills have a FA board set up just like the draft board.

Sounds good to me.
                          Except he wants to take the first 10 names off the board at each position...

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

So I agree that adding guys like this is good for the team. The problem is we have real significant needs at starting positions. RT, LG, another outside WR, receiving TE, and #3 CB stand out to me.

What we do is grab a few guys like this. Don't fill all the major needs. Expect 3 rookies to start and be solid or better starters. And then keep or fill several of the remaining spots and depth with late round rookies or UDFA's.

And then we end up with Legursky blocking Wilfork, Robey covering Vincent Jackson, TJ Graham as our #2 WR, and Pears trying to block Chandler Jones.

Our overall talent is a mismatch to most playoff teams. The starters at several spots must be significantly better, the depth must be significantly better, and you just can't rely on rookies, undrafteds, and a few marginal starters from FA to fix it.

And that doesn't even look at retention of our own top talent. I mean if we lose Byrd and then fill that spot with a "dust settles" FA we just watered down our talent. If we look to a high round pick in the draft, we leave another need un-addressed and take a chance that the rookie will be as good.

And I really worry that getting great value out of Branch and Lawson while getting 3 starters (one of which was great right off the bat) is not something we can just count on repeating year after year... Which is basically what Whaley is saying they plan to do.
                            The Bills NEED a Guard that can block the likes of Wilfork without question.

BUT McKelvon or Gilmore should be covering Vincent Jackson, not Roby (although Roby is a GOOD #3)

Robert Woods & Stevie Johnson are 1A & 1B. TJ Graham is not even #3.

I expect Pears to be replaced as well.

The point is the Bills have far fewer holes to fill this year than in the past.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                              • Jul 2005

Yeah I am not in agreement with you on the list of starters.

RT we do not know about Hairston yet, and there will be very good options in rounds 2 or 3 with regards to that position.

I believe we can easily find a suitable stop gap LG as one of the dust settles guys and I like the fact the bills are not going to break the bank for one year fixes at positions like RT and LG.

As for corner I agree we need better boundary corner depth but our top 3 corners are Gilmore, McKelvin, and Roby and that is fine. Brooks is the backup slot corner and I am ok with that. We do not have any outside depth behind Gilmore and McKelvin but I am not going to break the bank for a backup.

That being said I agree we need two new starters on the OL, better LB/CB DEPTh, and a big WR for EJ.

The break the bank positions to me are listed below in priority.
                              1. QB
                              2. Pass rusher (Mario)
                              3. LT (Glenn and he is good)
                              4. CB (Gilmore and he is good)
                              5. DL (Dareus and Williams are pro bowlers, but also have Branch and if we resign Carrington set here, if Alex leaves then need one)
                              6. Center (resigned Wood and he has potential to be a good one)
                              7. LB (Alonso)

As you can see there are some young guys in that group that I want the Bills to resign and if we break the bank this year then we will probably lose some of them if not all.

Comment

Working...
                              X