PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Pettine to have THIRD interview for Browns head coach job

feldspar
01-22-2014, 10:11 PM
According to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, the feedback Pettine received is that he is a finalist for the position. A source informed of the Browns' plans said Pettine will fly to Cleveland on Thursday for a third interview.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000316586/article/mike-pettine-a-finalist-for-cleveland-browns-coach-job

The hits just keep coming. Pettine would be just about the WORST person to lose that the Bills employ in my opinion.

Downinfloflo
01-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Well, It was nice having him around for a year..Good luck in Cleveland Mr.Pettine.

feldspar
01-22-2014, 10:58 PM
"Sources" say Pettine is now the favorite to land the spot, but the Browns have not made up their mind yet.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10335325/cleveland-browns-two-finalists-head-coaching-job-mike-pettine-favorite

Crisis
01-22-2014, 11:20 PM
he really doesn't deserve a HC gig yet. i like him but this is because the browns are such a mess that no one who should get a HC job will take it.

feldspar
01-22-2014, 11:47 PM
he really doesn't deserve a HC gig yet. i like him but this is because the browns are such a mess that no one who should get a HC job will take it.

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

http://scvelodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/unforgiven.jpg

Lots of very successful Head Coaches have done less than Pettine before they got their big chance...that's something to consider. There is no real formula about it.

Crisis
01-22-2014, 11:54 PM
well if the browns really wanted him he'd be hired by now. he's their fallback.

feldspar
01-23-2014, 12:00 AM

I hope you're right.

You think they really want Quinn?

black N yellow
01-23-2014, 04:43 AM
Schiano is the perfect clown to fit on the Browns.

Night Train
01-23-2014, 04:58 AM
I feel sorry for their next coach. Seems the supporting cast in the front office is completely lost.

pmoon6
01-23-2014, 05:05 AM
The organization has gotten a PR black eye around the league with their two top candidates, Josh McDaniel and Adam Gase bowing out. The Browns reportedly wanted an offensive coach, but now a defensive guy is the front runner. One report called the Browns coaching position "Radioactive". So, if Pettine takes (not gets) the job it will be because no one else wanted it.

stuckincincy
01-23-2014, 05:08 AM
Schiano is the perfect clown to fit on the Browns.

You're right!

:laughing:

YardRat
01-23-2014, 05:22 AM
If he's going to Cleveland, my guess is it's to hammer out the final details of the contract. I don't believe teams can hire new coaches the week prior to the Super Bowl, so they need to have one in place before this weekend or wait another week.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-23-2014, 05:47 AM
Remember 4 years ago when Nix were conducting the search for HC and wound up with Gailey? Imagine how people were laughing at the Bills then.

To be honest, I think the Brownies now have more talent than the Bills then.

X-Era
01-23-2014, 06:10 AM
Browns are talking to McDaniels again.

They want an offensive minded HC IMO... And if that's your mindset would you rather have Pettine and AVP as your OC or McDaniels?

I really hope we don't lose him.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-23-2014, 06:26 AM
If Whaley has any way to get Steelers Keith Butler interview for DC job, it might even be an upgrade. Butler is highly thought after and the Steelers have already denied Whisenhunt's request for interview. That is before Whisenhunt hired Ray Horton which has been terrific, especially against NE and Brady. But chances are if Pettine leaves, the Bills likely to promote O'Neil for consistency and logical reasons. The Steelers likely to protect Butler just like the Bills do to O'Neil, though they are not able to offer Butler any promotion this year while LeBeau is still there, which hasn't prevented Steelers denying interview requests.

DynaPaul
01-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Normally a head coaching gig is an upgrade but this is going to be a downgrade for Pettine if he takes it. That organization is such a mess, even worse that ours, that it's hard to see Lombardi succeeding there.

GingerP
01-23-2014, 06:45 AM
Normally a head coaching gig is an upgrade but this is going to be a downgrade for Pettine if he takes it. That organization is such a mess, even worse that ours, that it's hard to see Lombardi succeeding there.

Except, they have:

1) Tons of cap room, projected to be the most in the NFL
2) The #4 Overall pick
3) Extra picks in the 1st (Ind), 3rd (Pit) & 4th (Ind) rounds
4) A core of really talented players, including 5 Pro Bowlers (Josh Gordon, Cameron Jordan, Joe Haden, Alex Mack, Joe Thomas)

They don't have a QB, but their cap room and draft position will allow them to build depth if they want to. Granted, this coaching search has been a cluster, but if they get a QB in this draft who can play they have a lot of potential.

Of course, given the incompetence ownership and the front office has shown, they will probably screw it up.

kishoph
01-23-2014, 06:55 AM

This is what I'm thinking also. It was reported that Pettine wanted a answer by yesterday, obviously he didn't get it, so it has me wondering if the Browns are just stringing him along with this 3rd interview.

Browns are talking to McDaniels again.

They want an offensive minded HC IMO... And if that's your mindset would you rather have Pettine and AVP as your OC or McDaniels?

I really hope we don't lose him.

I would guess that the Browns are going to take a QB with their 1st pick in the draft, so they're going to want someone to groom that young QB and Pettine doesn't fit that bill. It may depend on who Pettine has in mind for his OC.

Mace
01-23-2014, 07:39 AM
Present rumors from the SB nation sites and NFL.com have Pettine top vetted candidate, 3rd interview is for contract, he heads to Cleveland at 12:52. (Yes, he will not be there at 12:53, nor 12:51).

BUT, meantime, they called McDaniels, just to see if he changed his mind, looked into Schiano (after consulting Bill Belichick), chatted with Dirk Koetter.....fan base wants Quinn. Good luck to Pettine if he takes it, had I been him and gotten wind of them calling McDaniels again and consulting Belichick (and listening to him in speaking with SCHIANO) despite their wealth of "football knowledge" in Banner & Lombardi, I'd see what they're doing there, decide to have an even better defensive year, and end up with a better franchise situation down the road, because he won't be getting a solid commitment.

Before his plane lands, they have to call McDaniels ONE more time, ask Belichick if he has any other ideas, maybe talk to Dr. Phil and Incarcerated Bob, then bounce it off Haslam's favorite waitress before almost being positive.

Don't open the door to the cellar during a power failure after hearing the dead walk again, Pettine, don't do it !

ghz in pittsburgh
01-23-2014, 07:47 AM
There is no Pettine is turning down the offer. Heck he's not even that well known as an upcoming coordinator. minimum $7 million contract and calling shots?

JohnnyGold
01-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Present rumors from the SB nation sites and NFL.com have Pettine top vetted candidate, 3rd interview is for contract, he heads to Cleveland at 12:52. (Yes, he will not be there at 12:53, nor 12:51).

BUT, meantime, they called McDaniels, just to see if he changed his mind, looked into Schiano (after consulting Bill Belichick), chatted with Dirk Koetter.....fan base wants Quinn. Good luck to Pettine if he takes it, had I been him and gotten wind of them calling McDaniels again and consulting Belichick (and listening to him in speaking with SCHIANO) despite their wealth of "football knowledge" in Banner & Lombardi, I'd see what they're doing there, decide to have an even better defensive year, and end up with a better franchise situation down the road, because he won't be getting a solid commitment.

Before his plane lands, they have to call McDaniels ONE more time, ask Belichick if he has any other ideas, maybe talk to Dr. Phil and Incarcerated Bob, then bounce it off Haslam's favorite waitress before almost being positive.

Don't open the door to the cellar during a power failure after hearing the dead walk again, Pettine, don't do it !

As a Bills fan, I couldn't agree with you more. He should stay as far away from that train wreck as possible and coach our d for one more year!

As a man, I couldn't disagree with you more. Head coaching jobs are typically only open for franchises who are on a downward spiral--the Patriots aren't firing the hoodie, the seahawks aren't firing carol, the broncos aren't firing fox, the harbaughs wont be available any time soon, etc.

So, a head coaching job opens up for a "bad" team, and you take it. No questions asked. Maybe you do only have one year, but if you can say during negotiations that you want to establish a hierarchy of coaches, and do x y and z, then you have to believe in yourself and your systems to be successful. It's not so much a matter of these men being arrogant, it's a matter of knowing your craft, and believing that you can implement systems to be successful. I feel that way in the field in which I work, I manage people, and if there was a "toxic" job opening that only the top .0001 percent of my field had access to, and I was offered it for 3-4 million dollars a year, I would take it. Not arrogance, just the chance of a lifetime to utilize a skill set that I have been schooled in and developed professionally in over the years.

So--good luck to Pettine as a man. As a Bills fan, selfishly, I hope they finish 5-11 instead of 11-5. I dont know if I could bear watching him leave to be a coach AND turn that team into a winner. Imagine if he has Bill Beliceck like success for the next 15 years?

superbills
01-23-2014, 08:24 AM
We need to fire Marrone and hire Pettine as OUR head coach before he gets on that plane!!! Ok, back to reality...I wish the man luck...uber-disappointed to see him go, but when they call you to sit in the big-boy's chair, you say "yes" and ask questions later.

Uncle Jesse
01-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Reports coming out of Cleveland is Pettine is there man and getting the gig, to be announced soon.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-23-2014, 09:15 AM
https://twitter.com/WillBurge

Congrads Pettine! Now Marrone needs to act soon.

kishoph
01-23-2014, 09:22 AM
https://twitter.com/WillBurge

Congrads Pettine! Now Marrone needs to act soon.

Well if it's on twitter, it must be official.
To me, a third interview looks like a stall tactic.

Meathead
01-23-2014, 09:22 AM
pettine is taking that job knowing hes gonna fail. that works in his favor as he gets a free pass in his first job as hc. he can really let it rip now, do all kinds of experimenting and learning, and as long as he doesnt offend any rich old white men he is guaranteed another shot at hc in just a few years. cleveland has lost all credibility in putting together a mgmt team that can produce a winner (even worse than the bills, imagine that) so nobody on the planet will expect anything out of the next 'sap' they get to take the hc job. pettine knows that and thus goes in with about as little pressure as any nfl hc could possibly have. it literally doesnt matter at all what happens on the field, pettine is guaranteed another hc shot after this one blows up. good move for him

SpikedLemonade
01-23-2014, 09:25 AM
pettine is taking that job knowing hes gonna fail. that works in his favor as he gets a free pass in his first job as hc. he can really let it rip now, do all kinds of experimenting and learning, and as long as he doesnt offend any rich old white men he is guaranteed another shot at hc in just a few years. cleveland has lost all credibility in putting together a mgmt team that can produce a winner (even worse than the bills, imagine that) so nobody on the planet will expect anything out of the next 'sap' they get to take the hc job. pettine knows that and thus goes in with about as little pressure as any nfl hc could possibly have. it literally doesnt matter at all what happens on the field, pettine is guaranteed another hc shot after this one blows up. good move for him

He is also guaranteed to get 3 years since I doubt they want to do this again in 2 years.

justasportsfan
01-23-2014, 09:28 AM
It's a win-win for Pettine. He may very well fail but even if he does , he knows he'll get another DC gig .

Jan Reimers
01-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Well if it's on twitter, it must be official.
To me, a third interview looks like a stall tactic.

Yeah, what's he gonna do in a third interview, sing the Browns' Fight Song by heart?

Uncle Jesse
01-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Schefter just tweeted the job is Pettines.

kingJofNYC
01-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Impossible Night Train and Novacane said he wouldn't get a HC job...lol

Pettine's a very good D coach, with some of the slop that gets hired in this league, no brainer that Pettine would get a shot eventually.

SpikedLemonade
01-23-2014, 10:57 AM
His loss makes the difference between a 6-10 and 8-8 season.

We weren't going to make the play-offs in either event.

coastal
01-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Can't wait for him to raid the closet and take the rest of the defensive staff with him.

then we can lose Byrd, Carroington and Chandler.

but as long as we draft some "stud" in round one, the rebuild will be heading in the right direction.

i can't wait for Ralph to die to find out once and for all, that the parking lot is dead.

Not even a Bass Pro Shop can save your city. your're all losers for living there and the only thing going for you is that you have others to share it with.

DraftBoy
01-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Big time loss and at the worst possible time with most of the formerly unemployed coaches getting picked up by other teams. I hate this.

kingJofNYC
01-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Big time loss and at the worst possible time with most of the formerly unemployed coaches getting picked up by other teams. I hate this.

Yup, timing couldnt be any worse.

feldspar
01-23-2014, 12:11 PM
i can't wait for Ralph to die to find out once and for all, that the parking lot is dead.

Not even a Bass Pro Shop can save your city. your're all losers for living there and the only thing going for you is that you have others to share it with.

**** you, too.

HAMMER
01-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Can't wait for him to raid the closet and take the rest of the defensive staff with him.

then we can lose Byrd, Carroington and Chandler.

but as long as we draft some "stud" in round one, the rebuild will be heading in the right direction.

We all knew this post#$ was a douche, but wow, this puts the post#$ at a whole new level.

GingerP
01-23-2014, 03:26 PM
The Bills can block any assistant under contract from leaving.

Mace
01-23-2014, 04:00 PM
As a Bills fan, I couldn't agree with you more. He should stay as far away from that train wreck as possible and coach our d for one more year!

As a man, I couldn't disagree with you more. Head coaching jobs are typically only open for franchises who are on a downward spiral--the Patriots aren't firing the hoodie, the seahawks aren't firing carol, the broncos aren't firing fox, the harbaughs wont be available any time soon, etc.

So, a head coaching job opens up for a "bad" team, and you take it. No questions asked. Maybe you do only have one year, but if you can say during negotiations that you want to establish a hierarchy of coaches, and do x y and z, then you have to believe in yourself and your systems to be successful. It's not so much a matter of these men being arrogant, it's a matter of knowing your craft, and believing that you can implement systems to be successful. I feel that way in the field in which I work, I manage people, and if there was a "toxic" job opening that only the top .0001 percent of my field had access to, and I was offered it for 3-4 million dollars a year, I would take it. Not arrogance, just the chance of a lifetime to utilize a skill set that I have been schooled in and developed professionally in over the years.

So--good luck to Pettine as a man. As a Bills fan, selfishly, I hope they finish 5-11 instead of 11-5. I dont know if I could bear watching him leave to be a coach AND turn that team into a winner. Imagine if he has Bill Beliceck like success for the next 15 years?

Comically just read Banner already has an idea who he wants as DC.

Shouldn't have opened the door into the cellar, Mike.

Honestly, no you don't take it no questions asked. Gase didn't, McDaniels didn't, Bowles, etc. Same with any job, a wise man enhances his resume when on the rise for a better opportunity, and let's face it, coordinators trending hot stay hot for years whether or not they get hotter.

I managed people too, trained them, and managed my career the same, trained me. Getting promoted from first mate on a cargo ship to captain on a garbage scow because it's a step up when you could have a shot at captain of a liner in another year, is not by any means necessarily a good career move.

But Pettine opened the door and now Haslam, Banner and Lombardi will "help" him choose his DC and staff, make his draft picks, and no doubt enhance his career development by not being able to do any of that.

I'd have to disagree with your philosophy, but Pettine doesn't, so we see how it ends up.

JohnnyGold
01-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Comically just read Banner already has an idea who he wants as DC.

Shouldn't have opened the door into the cellar, Mike.

Honestly, no you don't take it no questions asked. Gase didn't, McDaniels didn't, Bowles, etc. Same with any job, a wise man enhances his resume when on the rise for a better opportunity, and let's face it, coordinators trending hot stay hot for years whether or not they get hotter.

I managed people too, trained them, and managed my career the same, trained me. Getting promoted from first mate on a cargo ship to captain on a garbage scow because it's a step up when you could have a shot at captain of a liner in another year, is not by any means necessarily a good career move.

But Pettine opened the door and now Haslam, Banner and Lombardi will "help" him choose his DC and staff, make his draft picks, and no doubt enhance his career development by not being able to do any of that.

I'd have to disagree with your philosophy, but Pettine doesn't, so we see how it ends up.

but if there are no liner ships, and there are only 32 garbage scows in the entire ocean, you don't pass up a job as captain of a garbage scow because you don't like the paint job on it.

DynaPaul
01-23-2014, 04:28 PM
No doubt about it. Pettine screwed up. He should have interviewed with them to get his name out there and then waited for an opening with a real team to take that next step.

Downinfloflo
01-23-2014, 05:11 PM
The Bills and the Browns are in the same boat..No one want's them.

BillsFever21
01-23-2014, 09:46 PM
This isn't any different then the ugly fat chick in the bar at 2am. She might have a handful of guys turn her down or ignore her during the night but there will be at least one guy anxious enough to get some from anybody he can. The Browns are the fat chick and Pettine is the guy that is anxious to go home with anyone that night.

Pettine wasn't on any other teams radar considering he never received an interview until the Browns came along with the last opening. It was only after their plan A, B, C, D, E, F and G turned them down before he even got an interview there. He was their fallback plan and it sounds like they were still trying to get others to reconsider before they had him sign on the dotted line. He was the best one left with the most potential that would accept their job.

It doesn't mean that Pettine will fail but it's not a great sign to start your HC career on. He isn't going to turn down the only team who has ever given him a HC interview and the guaranteed money that comes with it to stay in Buffalo as a DC. With another good season or two he could've been on more teams radar but he wasn't going to chance it or turn down the raise in pay/title when he had the chance. Some guys have done that and never received another opportunity if they didn't continue building on their success.