X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Typical Bills Luck (pettine)

The one solid thing about our team last year was our Defense.

The offense sucked and the coordinator there is a huge question mark but we had a solid up an coming defense to look forward to.

Of course we lose our great DC.

What makes this so much worse is that the ****ing dumb ass Brown's waited so ****ing long to do this there is virtually nothing out there DC wise.

Donny Henderson... YUCK has done nothing in any previous chance.

Wade Phillips? Ok so we want to completely change everything about our defense to an older system that isn't forward thinking? Ughhhhh

To me this is the worst possible thing that could have happened and gives me 0 faith the team/defense will be any better than last year. If anything at this point I predict a worse team.

I am generally a fairly optimistic person and I am sure I will be better with this as time goes by but this is how I feel at this moment.

I almost feel like I would rather have Pettine as head coach than Marrone.

Hopefully this works out.
  • Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

Re: Typical Bills Luck (pettine)

This whining needed a separate thread?

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

The defense was good, opportunistic, fun to watch, but they gave up a lot of big plays.

And I don't mean in man coverage on a blitz.

Huge run plays, right up the gut.

So perhaps its a blessing in disguise.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

I don't think so.

I think we had ****ty linebackers.

even Kiko is not very good against the run due to small stature.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
        This whining needed a separate thread?
        Just thougths and feelings.

Comment

• Buffalogic
          • Feb 2006

Linebackers are holding this defense back for sure. Easy fix this year though with the correct maneuvering.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
            • Aug 2012

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this.

We have a lot of talented guys on the defense. Guys that were already considered talented before Pettine got here.

We've invested a lot of high draft picks and a lot of money there and it was still not dominant by any stretch of the imagination.

He got them to play up to their potential (which was a far cry from Wanny), but it's not like he worked miracles and EXCEEDED that.

I think he is a good coach and I'd love to keep him, but it's not like we're losing Dick Lebeau.

Comment

• pmoon6
              Legendary Zoner
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
              I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this.

We have a lot of talented guys on the defense. Guys that were already considered talented before Pettine got here.

We've invested a lot of high draft picks and a lot of money there and it was still not dominant by any stretch of the imagination.

He got them to play up to their potential (which was a far cry from Wanny), but it's not like he worked miracles and EXCEEDED that.

I think he is a good coach and I'd love to keep him, but it's not like we're losing Dick Lebeau.
              Interesting that Pettines' defense ranked No. 10 and Labeau's was 13.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                • Feb 2006

He did develop a lot of double digit sack guys. Hughes in particular imo.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                  Interesting that Pettines' defense ranked No. 10 and Labeau's was 13.
                  I just used LeBeau because IMO he is one of the all time great DCs.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

This has nothing to do with luck. It has to do with bad decisions from the FO. If we had made Pettine HC and Marrone OC last year, we wouldn't be in this mess.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      This has nothing to do with luck. It has to do with bad decisions from the FO. If we had made Pettine HC and Marrone OC last year, we wouldn't be in this mess.
                      I don't know that Marrone would have left Syracuse to be a coordinator again, and there's no telling that Pettine would be a great head coach. The list of great coordinators who failed in the big chair is a long one.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

That's a crappy critique and you know it. Nobody was even whispering Pettine's name as a HC last year.

The worst part of this is the timing. Cleveland waited so damn long a lot of the recently unemployed coaches have caught on elsewhere.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

What exactly makes one unqualified candidate any more qualified than the next in your world view?

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            • Feb 2006

Just hope Marrone doesn't repeat himself and hire another unqualified coordinator ala Hackett. If we get a no named college coach to run the D I think my head will explode.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
                              Just hope Marrone doesn't repeat himself and hire another unqualified coordinator ala Hackett. If we get a no named college coach to run the D I think my head will explode.
                              I don't know why people jump on Hackett so quickly. In NFL, talent wins. The Bills D has almost the entire starters drafted in 1st/2nd rounds (and are veterans) save for guy like Kyle Williams whereas on offense before this past rookie season, has exactly 2 first rounders and one 2nd rounder. The talent is obviously tilted towards defense. It's not a miracle work by Pettine, porbably due to the comparison to retreads like Wanny.

If anything, this look good on Marrone. He is able to hire good people who can springboard to HC in NFL. If I'm Marrone, I'd say to the next guy that we are going to add talent to this D, and if you are good, come to Buffalo and you can have in your name in the HC ring next year.

Just to play along the same line on offense. If EJ takes a big step forward (we all expect that, just don't know how big a step), if we hit on a big WR, and if the QB coach works out -- I know a lot of ifs but none of them are that far fetched -- guess what? Hackett's name will be floating up as the upcomers just like the Denver guy who until this year no one ever heard of. In fact by that time, Hackett will be far more desirable than Pettine because he is the "QB developing guru" so I guess if by some posters logic here, we should can Marrone and make Hackett the HC now to prevent losing him next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X