PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion: Will Pettine Turn Out to Be a Better Coach Than Marrone?

more cowbell
01-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Personally (...and what the hell do I know?) I think Mike Pettine has the "it" factor to become a good Head Coach. His system that he runs is progressive and unique. He also seemed to make halftime adjustments rather well. I know we have a small sample size to work from as he was only a DC for officially two seasons, but Pettine seems to be a smart, forward thinking, energetic type coach that players will really take to (examples can be both Harbaugh's, Rex Ryan, Sean Payton....you get the drift).

I think the Bills let the wrong guy get away...

Albany,n.y.
01-23-2014, 03:18 PM
NO!
Marrone will go down as the greatest coach in Bills history and many of his assistants will be successful head coaches from the Marrone tree. Pettine is only the 1st. Just wait until those Lombardis start filling the trophy case at One Bills Drive and the new stadium that will be known as the stadium that the Marrone era built.
I'm sick of the Marrone doubters.

SquishDaFish
01-23-2014, 03:18 PM
I think currently hes not going to be good in Cleveland. Long term wherever he ends up being a HC next he will succeed

Fixxxer
01-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Obviously the guy that isn't here is always the right choice

ThunderGun
01-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Neither one will be regarded as a very good coach, IMO

justasportsfan
01-23-2014, 03:31 PM
One thing that bills bills haven't prior to Marrone were coaches who acted like the CEO of the team. Just like BB . Marrone supposedly was one when he was with Syracuse . If Pettine ends up being like Jauron and Gailey who were at the mercy of their OC/DC , he may end up struggling .

streetkings01
01-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Depends who his OC is. Heard he wants Van Pelt so I would say he's gonna fail.

GvilleBills
01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
I said Pettine. Lotta talent on the defensive side of the ball on Cleveland, he'll look good quickly.
Marrone hasn't canned Crossman (among other things), so his judgement is in question.

better days
01-23-2014, 04:42 PM
I said Pettine. Lotta talent on the defensive side of the ball on Cleveland, he'll look good quickly.
Marrone hasn't canned Crossman (among other things), so his judgement is in question.

I agree. I am questioning Marrone keeping Crossman.

I questioned his hire of Hackett as OC, still not sold on him, but like EJ I will give him next year to prove himself.

Now the PRESSURE is on Marrone to hire another GOOD DC.

I didn't vote because I just don't know yet how I feel about it.

If Marrone hire Pepper Johnson or Wade Phillips, I am on board.

If it is Henderson, he will have to prove it to me, just as Crossman has to show much better on Special teams

DynaPaul
01-23-2014, 04:49 PM
NO!
Marrone will go down as the greatest coach in Bills history and many of his assistants will be successful head coaches from the Marrone tree. Pettine is only the 1st. Just wait until those Lombardis start filling the trophy case at One Bills Drive and the new stadium that will be known as the stadium that the Marrone era built.
I'm sick of the Marrone doubters.

Can I have a hit of that stuff too?

The Jokeman
01-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Personally (...and what the hell do I know?) I think Mike Pettine has the "it" factor to become a good Head Coach. His system that he runs is progressive and unique. He also seemed to make halftime adjustments rather well. I know we have a small sample size to work from as he was only a DC for officially two seasons, but Pettine seems to be a smart, forward thinking, energetic type coach that players will really take to (examples can be both Harbaugh's, Rex Ryan, Sean Payton....you get the drift).

I think the Bills let the wrong guy get away...

If the rumor that the Browns are going to take Johnny Manziel at pick #4 to be their QB of the future then nope. As they also have some question marks at RB to answer on offense too.

BillsFever21
01-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Knowing the Bills luck that will obviously have to be the case.

The Popcorn
01-23-2014, 09:04 PM
I honestly don't know so no vote from me.

kishoph
01-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Depends who his OC is. Heard he wants Van Pelt so I would say he's gonna fail.

It is sort of odd that the Browns did chose Pettine (not many choices left), because I thought they would want someone with experience on the offensive side of the ball, seeing that they're more than likely going to choose a QB with their 1st pick and they're going to need someone to groom hm. The Browns did have a good defense last year and it is a similar defense to what Pettine ran with the Bills, so he should succeed there, but as you said, his choice for OC is going to determine a lot.
As for who will be the better head coach, I'd have to go with Marrone, Marrone seems like he's more diplomatic and better in handling overall game, whereas Pettine seems to me more of the coordinator type that may be a better X's and O's guy, but lacks the experience of running the whole team. Of course it's his 1st chance and he might turn out to be a good head coach, but for now, I have to say Marrone will be the better head coach in the long run.