PDA

View Full Version : Guess the Wonderlic Was Right After All on Vince Young

Bill Cody
01-23-2014, 03:30 PM
http://money.msn.com/investing/post--how-did-vince-young-waste-dollar25-million

He's burned through 25 large and is broke. That's pretty incredible.:oops:

It's barely Bills news because he was only here for a cup of coffee. But the article struck me how few athletes really appreciate the God given talent they have and the money they get for playing a kid's game. But man VY is kind of the poster child for waste of talent and money. Kind of sickens me.

X-Era
01-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Umm...

Our DC just left and you're concerned with the wonderlic for a never-once-was Bill that rode the pine?

Bill Cody
01-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Umm...

Our DC just left and you're concerned with the wonderlic for a never-once-was Bill that rode the pine?

Just thought it was interesting. What are you doing, holding candlelight vigils for Pettine?

ThunderGun
01-23-2014, 03:43 PM
What are you doing, holding candlelight vigils for Pettine?

I almost spit out my coffee.

X-Era
01-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Just thought it was interesting. What are you doing, holding candlelight vigils for Pettine?
No. I'm researching what Bill Parcells had on his stopwatch for Erik Flowers 40 time.

Bill Cody
01-23-2014, 03:51 PM
I almost spit out my coffee.

:spit:

DynaPaul
01-23-2014, 03:54 PM
I don't feel bad for him.

OLDSRIP
01-23-2014, 05:27 PM
I don't take great joy in seeing anyone crash and burn like this.
But it is amazing.

I would love to see a breakdown on where it all went. I would also like to
see how many people deliberately stole from him or scammed him.

But maybe he had the best advise in the world and wouldn't listen.
I can't even imagine what you can do with that kind of money.
Crazy stuff.

Ed
01-23-2014, 05:41 PM
This isn't surprising considering something like 70% of NFL players go broke within a few years of being out of the league. A lot of these guys have never even really had a job before the NFL and have little understanding of finances and taxes. It doesn't help that they're surrounded by vultures too.

There was a pretty interesting 30 for 30 a while back about pro athletes and going broke. I forget what it was called, but worth watching.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-23-2014, 06:14 PM
I defended him when he first ran into money troubles a few years ago, because athletes are under a different kind of pressure than average people and the situation isn't really comparable.

But to do it again? In only a few years? C'mon man!

jimmifli
01-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Self control is difficult. Most people fail in similar ways when they have unlimited access to things that make them happy but are detrimental longterm.

The next time you see a guy that's overweight you're looking at someone that lacks the self control required to avoid overindulging. He's got access to more calories than he needs and he can't stop himself from eating his longterm health away. It's easy to sit in judgment and act like if you had millions of dollars you wouldn't over indulge, but I think a quick look at obesity rates indicates Vince's problems would be common for most Americans.

Bill Cody
01-24-2014, 09:38 AM
You know what? There is no excuse. None. I don't care how lacking in money experience or brains it just defies belief you could blow that kind of cash. Let's say you put 5m aside to buy a nice house, a few cars, and assorted bling, take care of your posse. And then you just handed $20,000,000 to a random insurance company and bought a guaranteed annuity. You could get a MONTHLY check of $60,000 for life fully guaranteed. Roll that around in your mind for a bit. Most of us find a way to make ends meet for $60,000 a year or less.

jdaltroy5
01-24-2014, 10:05 AM
I watched a 30 for 30 on athletes and money and it was really good.

My favourite part was when Herm Edwards said that he told every player the same thing when they came into the league.

"You can live like a king for ten years or you can live like a prince for the rest of your life."

He said most of the guys didn't listen and just expected to be making that kind of money for the rest of their lives.

feldspar
01-24-2014, 10:09 AM
There was a pretty interesting 30 for 30 a while back about pro athletes and going broke. I forget what it was called, but worth watching.

Oddly enough, it's called "Broke." LOL.

I just watched that over the holidays.

Historian
01-24-2014, 10:13 AM
He shouldn't be afforded bankruptcy protection.

It should be against the law.

Oh what the hell....what's one more government bailout?

feldspar
01-24-2014, 10:13 AM
But Young's financial adviser claims that Young actually borrowed money to throw himself a $300,000 birthday party...testified under oath about it, I believe. On the other hand, Young is suing said adviser, claiming foul play. Dunno.

Look at Mike Tyson...the guy made HUNDREDS of millions of dollars and pissed it all away. Inconceivable to me.

Bill Cody
01-24-2014, 10:46 AM

"A Charlie Brown Christmas", "It's a Wonderful Life", "Miracle on 34th Street", "Broke", have to love the holidays

DynaPaul
01-24-2014, 10:54 AM
But Young's financial adviser claims that Young actually borrowed money to throw himself a $300,000 birthday party...testified under oath about it, I believe. On the other hand, Young is suing said adviser, claiming foul play. Dunno.

Look at Mike Tyson...the guy made HUNDREDS of millions of dollars and pissed it all away. Inconceivable to me.

But most that was scammed by Don King.

stuckincincy
01-24-2014, 11:15 AM
But most that was scammed by Don King.

Historical note about Don King...he was involved in a landmark US Supreme Court decision, Mapp vs. Ohio, about 4th Amendment rights and unreasonable search and seizure:

http://thedocumentarygroup.com/portfolio/search-and-seizure-mapp-v-ohio/

http://www.gvpt.umd.edu/lpbr/subpages/reviews/zotti505.htm

OLDSRIP
01-24-2014, 02:40 PM
I defended him when he first ran into money troubles a few years ago, because athletes are under a different kind of pressure than average people and the situation isn't really comparable.

But to do it again? In only a few years? C'mon man!

Oh, so this is a separate deal?
He filed before? I didn't follow that close. I figured it has been the same situation being drug out.

No way should someone be able to do that twice, especially in such a short time span.
Crazy stuff.

OLDSRIP
01-24-2014, 02:42 PM

Cool. Will have to see if I can find it online.
Don't have TV.

feldspar
01-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Cool. Will have to see if I can find it online.
Don't have TV.

I watched it off Netflix, but if you want to see it, it's right here...should be the whole thing:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/okFEZCgE5ag?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OLDSRIP
01-24-2014, 06:06 PM
I watched it off Netflix, but if you want to see it, it's right here...should be the whole thing:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/okFEZCgE5ag?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Thanks, I have Netflix also.

colin
01-24-2014, 10:32 PM
What would people say vy's IQ is? I'll take under 80.