X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Ken Norton, Jr. Could Be The Bills Next Defensive Coordinator

Former Dallas Cowboy and San Francisco 49er Ken Norton, Jr. is currently serving as the Seattle Seahawks linebackers coach. The Bills still haven't named their next DC, which says a lot in itself. They're waiting.

Norton has a very impressive resume. Wouldn't be surprised if the Bills are waiting until after the Super Bowl to hire him as their next defensive coordinator.

Doug Whaley wants to bring in a heavy hitter as the Bills next DC, not some retread who has been around the block 200 times and still hasn't won.

I think Ken Norton, Jr. knows how to win, and coach. If he gets named the Bills next DC, most Bills fans will get over the loss of Pettine real quick, and the players would be pumped up for 2014.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Norton,_Jr.

Coaching career

After retiring from the NFL, Norton Jr. served as a radio and television commentator and analyst, and coached football at Hamilton High School in Los Angeles, California.
    In 2004, he joined the coaching staff of the USC Trojan football team under Head Coach Pete Carroll. From 2004-2009, he served as the linebacker coach for the Trojans; while at USC he helped recruit and develop NFL-bound linebackers such as NFL Pro Bowler Lofa Tatupu, Dallas Sartz, Keith Rivers, Brian Cushing, Kaluka Maiava, Clay Matthews III, and Rey Maualuga.
    In January 2008, Norton declined offers by UCLA's new head coach, Rick Neuheisel, to join the Bruins coaching as an assistant head coach.[1]
    On January 7, 2009, Norton was promoted to USC Assistant Head Coach for Defense. A form of recognition of his continuing work with the USC linebacker corps, he has developed three consecutive Rose Bowl MVPs: Brian Cushing (2007), Rey Maualuga (2008) and Kaluka Maiava(2009).[3]
    Attending the player evaluations of the by-invitation-only 2009 NFL Scouting Combine were all four of Norton's Trojan senior class linebacker protégés: Brian Cushing, Kaluka Maiava, Clay Matthews III, and Rey Maualuga.
    On January 11, 2010, it was announced that USC linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr. would be joining head coach Pete Carroll in Seattle to fill the same role with the Seahawks, reuniting him with his protégé, Seahawks defensive standout Lofa Tatupu.
  • Albany,n.y.
    • Jul 2002

Re: Ken Norton, Jr. Could Be The Bills Next Defensive Coordinator

It's been 1 day. That hardly means they're waiting.

Comment

• sudzy
      • Apr 2013

I think your reaching.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
        It's been 1 day. That hardly means they're waiting.
        It really hasn't been 1 day. Bills knew Pettine was going to be available more than a week ago if not longer.

Marrone knew the day was coming, it's not like this is news to him. IF the Bills had their replacement ready, they would have announced it by now.

Donnie Henderson isn't getting the job. No announcement means they're waiting to interview potential candidates.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
          I think your reaching.
          Why? Seattle has an amazing defense. Norton has been a huge part of that. Players in Buffalo would give him instant respect. The man won 3 Super Bowls and has helped the Seahawks become the most dominant defense in the NFL.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Over at the official Bills message board, Damon Talbot, who runs a web site featuring interviews of and information on small college draft sleepers, claims to have a source inside the Bills organization who says the Bills expect to have their man in 24 to 48 hours.

I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
              Over at the official Bills message board, Damon Talbot, who runs a web site featuring interviews of and information on small college draft sleepers, claims to have a source inside the Bills organization who says the Bills expect to have their man in 24 to 48 hours.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showt...have-been-told
              Well that would rule out Norton, wouldn't it? Unless the hiring moratorium doesn't start until Sunday.

If that is the case, nothing would please me more than seeing Pete Carroll get ****ed in some manner just prior to the Super Bowl.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                • Mar 2013

24 to 48 hours? If that was the case, somebody like Adam Schefter or Paul Hamiltoon would have tweeted it by now. Word would have been leaked by now in that small of a time frame.

The Bills would be dumb not to at least consider Ken Norton, Jr. and give him an interview.

Wade Phillips was the last head coach to take the Bills to the playoffs, but his resume as a head coach and defensive coordinator makes no mention of a conference championship game or Super Bowl appearance after coaching for more than 35 years in the NFL.

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

The guy said the Bills have been in contact with Schwartz and Spags...

Comment

• feldspar
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                    It really hasn't been 1 day. Bills knew Pettine was going to be available more than a week ago if not longer.

Marrone knew the day was coming, it's not like this is news to him. IF the Bills had their replacement ready, they would have announced it by now.

Donnie Henderson isn't getting the job. No announcement means they're waiting to interview potential candidates.
                    I don't know about all that.

Look at what happened when Nix stepped down last year. Everyone and their grandmother knew that Doug Whaley was going to be the next GM, but they didn't announce it until it was official and the contract was signed. They even talked around it when asked.

And I hate how the Browns strung Pettine along for a bit there. He was considering taking himself of the running because of this, I read at nfl.com. Nobody really knew what the Browns would do.

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                      • Mar 2004

Nope Jim Swartz

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

I guess Damon Talbot's source was reliable.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                        X