PDA

View Full Version : Jim Schwartz is our new DC !!

Skooby
01-24-2014, 08:00 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisBrownBills/status/426899667902025728?screen_name=ChrisBrownBills

#Bills have agreed to terms with Jim Schwartz as their new defensive coordinator. Head to http://Buffalobills.com for the details.

SeatownBillsFan21
01-24-2014, 08:01 PM
So much for wade huh Mitch

coastal
01-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Mitchmurraydowntown karma...

THRILLHO
01-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Well. Kudos to the FO for not wasting any time, and signing someone with experience. I have no complaints.

Mr. Pink
01-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Well, they went into the Belichick tree!

Actually not a bad hire and might be an upgrade.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Isn't he a 4-3 guy primarily?

feldspar
01-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Oh, ****.

I'm going to have to learn to like this guy.

The Jokeman
01-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Link that works: https://twitter.com/ChrisBrownBills and it's now on the official BB.com site. other news is Todd Downing is QB coach.

Skooby
01-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Link that works: https://twitter.com/ChrisBrownBills and it's now on the official BB.com site. other news is Todd Downing is QB coach.

Todd is our QB coach? Championship!!

black N yellow
01-24-2014, 08:12 PM
I like it. Maybe him and Jim Kelly can have conversations about how much of a douchebag Jim Harbaugh is.

The Jokeman
01-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Todd is our QB coach? Championship!!

lol and let the Thad Lewis to start QB mantra begin as he worked with Thad in Detroit. [/sarcasm]

Crisis
01-24-2014, 08:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0vDjnoE.jpg

Skooby
01-24-2014, 08:24 PM
lol and let the Thad Lewis to start QB mantra begin as he worked with Thad in Detroit. [/sarcasm]

It's time to dream now, like our defense getting better soon versus the run.

Skooby
01-24-2014, 08:26 PM

We can break the curse now.

The Jokeman
01-24-2014, 08:28 PM
It's time to dream now, like our defense getting better soon versus the run.

One thing that his defenses seem to do is stop the run according to the above pie chart but we still need some help and here's a quick run down of UFAs from the Lions that could help.

QB Shaun Hill: A better backup than Thad Lewis but I'd welcome keeping Thad as a 3rd string QB and dump Tuel.
WR Kevin Ogletree
WR Micheal Spurlock
TE Brandon Pettigrew: Arguably more talented than Chandler
OT Jason Fox
OG Dylan Gandy
C Dominic Raiola
DE Willie Young
DE Israel Idonije: Marv almost signed him when he was a Bear, now could replace Alex Carrington if he elects to leave.
DT Andre Fluellen
LB Rocky McIntosh: Veteran depth that's played inside and outside LB, if we let Moats go I wouldn't mind signing him, heck I thought we should have signed him for depth last offseason too.
CB Rashean Mathis: Veteran depth at CB who could push for a starting job if Gilmore or McKelvin struggle
S John Wendling
K David Akers
LS Don Muhlbach

Turf
01-24-2014, 08:28 PM
I like.

pmoon6
01-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Oh, ****.

I'm going to have to learn to like this guy.Yeah. I would have liked him better if he punched out Harbaugh. But, ya can't have everything.

gr8slayer
01-24-2014, 08:33 PM
No complaints here, if nothing else, our defense will have a nasty streak.

Parzival
01-24-2014, 08:34 PM
I like it.

feldspar
01-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Yeah. I would have liked him better if he punched out Harbaugh. But, ya can't have everything.

LOL. That incident was ridiculous.

Skooby
01-24-2014, 08:35 PM
One thing that his defenses seem to do is stop the run according to the above pie chart but we still need some help and here's a quick run down of UFAs from the Lions that could help.

QB Shaun Hill: A better backup than Thad Lewis but I'd welcome keeping Thad as a 3rd string QB and dump Tuel.
WR Kevin Ogletree
WR Micheal Spurlock
OT Jason Fox
OG Dylan Gandy
C Dominic Raiola
DE Willie Young
DE Israel Idonije: Marv almost signed him when he was a Bear, now could replace Alex Carrington if he elects to leave.
DT Andre Fluellen
LB Rocky McIntosh: Veteran depth that's played inside and outside LB, if we let Moats go I wouldn't mind signing him, heck I thought we should have signed him for depth last offseason too.
CB Rashean Mathis: Veteran depth at CB who could push for a starting job if Gilmore or McKelvin struggle
S John Wendling
K David Akers
LS Don Muhlbach

Can you please point out on what was accomplished by him ?

The Jokeman
01-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Can you please point out on what was accomplished by him ?

him who?

pmoon6
01-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Can you please point out on what was accomplished by him ?He impregnated your sister?

BuffaloRedleg
01-24-2014, 08:44 PM

At least he has a good taste in music, he's no pussy listening to Bruno Mars or something.

Skooby
01-24-2014, 08:48 PM
He impregnated your sister?
Damn congenials.

pmoon6
01-24-2014, 08:48 PM
LOL. That incident was ridiculous.And along with the shew ~ Ed Sullivan

tampabay25690
01-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Great hire.
Kudos to the Bills

Meathead
01-24-2014, 08:53 PM
heck of a strong hire you gotta admit

bigbub2352
01-24-2014, 08:54 PM
Good move

MikeNC
01-24-2014, 09:04 PM
And if Doug don't work out, the FO wont have to look hard for a new HC......

Mace
01-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Well, they went into the Belichick tree!

Actually not a bad hire and might be an upgrade.

No real idea why you think so though it's not a horrible one yet until he actually does anything.

He brought his wide 9 alignment from Tennessee to Detroit via Gunther Cunninghan, an alignment notable for getting gashed by the run, and ran a 4-3 way diff from Pettine's, though aggressive. He is noted for enforcing a remarkable lack of discipline, with a wayward Dareus, 50/50 Mario, and an uncontrollably run ignoring Kyle, saying he might be an upgrade is a tad dreamy. He hasn't actually been a DC since 2008 in any case, Cunningham was a strong personality on his staff.

Plus side, he's aggressive and not Wannstedt.

Hiring the ex Lions QB coach when Stafford is also getting shots for being undisciplined and mechanically not good, to work with young QB's, one of which he taught, Lewis, who has mechanical issues, is just extremely poor judgement in my view.

Well, at least we didn't hire Mangini or Jauron.

FinNasty23
01-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Being back Wanny!!!! :)

kishoph
01-24-2014, 09:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/JimSchwartz.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/JimSchwartz.jpg.html)

YardRat
01-24-2014, 09:22 PM
So...when does Suh hit free agency?

I'll give Marrone credit for one thing...he has consistently hired DC's with experience.

BertSquirtgum
01-24-2014, 09:27 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisBrownBills/status/426899667902025728?screen_name=ChrisBrownBills

Soooooo, your source was totally wrong again.....color me surprised.

better days
01-24-2014, 09:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/kishoph/JimSchwartz.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kishoph/media/JimSchwartz.jpg.html)

I LIKE it. Marrone is the ANTI Gailey. He hires GOOD DC's.

Mace
01-24-2014, 09:37 PM

Ok, this just looks "right" to me, until he charges across the field to attack the opponent head coach, forgetting Marrone gets to fight him first.

Two games and there will be a better real pic of him hatless and throwing his headset with spit flying out of his mouth over a play when his defense was not even on the field.

Come to think of it, that will be a good thing too. I give up.

TacklingDummy
01-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Hopefully Schwartz will help Dareus to be good against the run. Instead of continuously being pushed 5 yards off the LOS.

TacklingDummy
01-24-2014, 09:48 PM
http://goodfootproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/May-The-Schwartz-Be-With-You-Spaceballs.jpg

DetDannyWilliams
01-24-2014, 09:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHw6KXbvazs

better days
01-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Hopefully Schwartz will help Dareus to be good against the run. Instead of continuously being pushed 5 yards off the LOS.

Well, maybe Schwartz can teach Dareus to step on Tom Bradys head Suh style.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-24-2014, 10:01 PM
In looking back over Schwartz' career, I'm not really inspired.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SchwJi0.htm

Let's hope this is where he pulls it together.

kingJofNYC
01-24-2014, 10:01 PM
Not a fan to be honest.

IAG
01-24-2014, 10:02 PM
I hate the hire. He is a 4-3 guy. Undisciplined. He does attack and has experience. Pettine is a better coach.

ublinkwescore
01-24-2014, 10:20 PM

WR Kevin Ogletree
WR Micheal Spurlock
OT Jason Fox
OG Dylan Gandy
C Dominic Raiola
DE Willie Young
DT Andre Fluellen
S John Wendling
K David Akers
LS Don Muhlbach

bring back john wendling - he can replace Carrington as the field goal attempt blocker guy (sorry Wade!!)

Mace
01-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Being back Wanny!!!! :)

(frantically looks for the groan button)

better days
01-24-2014, 10:36 PM
In looking back over Schwartz' career, I'm not really inspired.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SchwJi0.htm

Let's hope this is where he pulls it together.

He had a good career as a DC with the Titans, that's how he got the HC job in Detroit.

better days
01-24-2014, 10:38 PM
I hate the hire. He is a 4-3 guy. Undisciplined. He does attack and has experience. Pettine is a better coach.

Well, I can't wait for the Browns game. We can watch Schwartz & Pettine go head to head.

Mace
01-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Well, I can't wait for the Browns game. We can watch Schwartz & Pettine go head to head.

bwahaha...

BertSquirtgum
01-24-2014, 10:55 PM

Pettine is a douche.

justasportsfan
01-24-2014, 11:02 PM
not as excited as when we hired Pettine. As far as discipline goes, that's all on Marrone.

better days
01-24-2014, 11:16 PM
not as excited as when we hired Pettine. As far as discipline goes, that's all on Marrone.

Going from Wanny to Pettine was like going from chopped liver without the onions to a nice thick juicy bone on Ribeye Steak covered in mushrooms with a loaded baked potato on the side. Something to be EXCITED about.

Going from Pettine to Schwartz is like going from that Ribeye Steak to a Porterhouse Steak. Just not as exciting.

Some people may prefer the Ribeye to the Porterhouse, but NOBODY is going to take Chopped liver without onions over a Ribeye.

feldspar
01-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Going from Wanny to Pettine was like going from chopped liver without the onions to a nice thick juicy bone on Ribeye Steak covered in mushrooms with a loaded baked potato on the side. Something to be EXCITED about.

Going from Pettine to Schwartz is like going from that Ribeye Steak to a Porterhouse Steak. Just not as exciting.

Some people may prefer the Ribeye to the Porterhouse, but NOBODY is going to take Chopped liver without onions over a Ribeye.

Ribeye all the way every time, and hold the mushrooms.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-24-2014, 11:50 PM
He had a good career as a DC with the Titans, that's how he got the HC job in Detroit.

He had two good years at the end, but of the 8 years he was DC, his teams only finished in the top half on defense 4 times. In fact they finished in the bottom 10 more often then the top 10. It's not like he turned around and build a powerhouse D in Detroit either.

BertSquirtgum
01-25-2014, 12:24 AM
Fact for people that don't like the Schwartz hire. His defenses were actually able to stop the run.

Buffalogic
01-25-2014, 01:11 AM
I like it. He is very experienced and the pressure is off him now, should be a good formula.

And why are some people so blatantly loyal to the 3-4? We have amazing talent on the d-line and ****ty linebackers outside of Kiko. We can barely scrounge up one good lb so why have a bunch of them on the field? 4-3 makes sense if that's the way they go.

Meathead
01-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Pettine is a douche.

who?

stuckincincy
01-25-2014, 04:36 AM
What are his views on plantar fasciitis?

swiper
01-25-2014, 05:53 AM
Swiper loves it. He often came across as an ass, but so what. He will maintain the Bills defensive toughness and likely improve the run defense. IMO Bills fans should be happy. This hire was perhaps the best possible scenario. And it shows that OBD may not actually have their head up their arses anymore. Very happy about this news.

Forward_Lateral
01-25-2014, 05:55 AM
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

swiper
01-25-2014, 05:57 AM
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

Why you say that? Schwartz is young, smart and eager to re-prove why he got that head coaching gig.

Night Train
01-25-2014, 06:08 AM
The key is his success against the run.

Historian
01-25-2014, 06:10 AM
I said it to Rat the day after the season ended...he should have never been let go by the Lions.

Took a laughingstock and turned it into a powerhouse.

Their loss is our gain.

And we have positioned self with the next HC should Marrone actually fail.

Great hire!

Historian
01-25-2014, 06:11 AM
Nice to see Brandon actually make a good decision for once!

swiper
01-25-2014, 06:16 AM

And that may be exactly why they went after Schwartz.

Though the Bills were inconsistent against the run, they still finished 10th in the NFL in fewest yards allowed — Buffalo's best ranking since finishing second in 2004. And they finished second in the NFL with a franchise-record 57 sacks.

Schwartz has 20 years of NFL coaching experience, including eight seasons as the Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator from 2001-08.

The Titans' defense three times finished among the NFL's top 10 in fewest yards allowed. Tennessee was particularly stingy in stopping the run, finishing sixth or better in yards rushing allowed, including a first-place ranking in 2003.

http://news.yahoo.com/bills-hire-ex-lions-coach-schwartz-run-defense-024338234--spt.html

Forward_Lateral
01-25-2014, 06:20 AM

Until this year the Lions couldn't stop anyone vs the run.

Schwartz is the exact opposite of Pettine. He never blitzes, and runs a "Wide 9" Defense that sucks almost as bad as the cover 2. Unless he's forced to abandon those practices, fans are not going to like Schwartz's D. Trust me, I live in Lions country, and he was a terrible head coach. Maybe he can go back to being the D.C. he was in Tennessee. Hopefully.

Night Train
01-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Prior to his stint in Detroit, Schwartz served eight seasons as defensive coordinator for theTennessee Titans (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ten/tennessee-titans).The Titans' defense three times finished among the NFL's top 10 in fewest yards allowed under Schwartz's watch. Tennessee was particularly stingy in stopping the run, finishing sixth or better in yards rushing allowed, including a first-place ranking in 2003.

swiper
01-25-2014, 06:25 AM

Schwartz is the exact opposite of Pettine. He never blitzes, and runs a "Wide 9" Defense that sucks almost as bad as the cover 2. Unless he's forced to abandon those practices, fans are not going to like Schwartz's D. Trust me, I live in Lions country, and he was a terrible head coach. Maybe he can go back to being the D.C. he was in Tennessee. Hopefully.

And yet, the Lions sucked before he came to town.

For those *****ing about it, I suggest you look at his record as Tennessee's DC. He was top 10 against the run 3 times during his tenure. I want to hear from Marrone on the hire regarding whether they agreed to continue our current d-scheme or whether Schwartz will have the ok to install a new playbook.

Forward_Lateral
01-25-2014, 06:29 AM
I said it to Rat the day after the season ended...he should have never been let go by the Lions.

Took a laughingstock and turned it into a powerhouse.

Their loss is our gain.

And we have positioned self with the next HC should Marrone actually fail.

Great hire!

You've never watched a Lions game with Jim as the HC then. He was a terrible head coach. Single-handedly cost the Lions a couple of wins each of the past couple of seasons.

Sorry Historian, I usually agree with you, but you are way off on this one. Schwartz is terrible.

And to those saying his Defenses are awesome against the run:

In 2010: Lions were 24th vs the run
In 2011: Lions were 23rd
In 2012: Lions were 16th
In 2013: Lions were 6th

So basically, they sucked vs the run up until this season. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Forward_Lateral
01-25-2014, 06:30 AM
And yet, the Lions sucked before he came to town.

For those *****ing about it, I suggest you look at his record as Tennessee's DC. He was top 10 against the run 3 times during his tenure. I want to hear from Marrone on the hire regarding whether they agreed to continue our current d-scheme or whether Schwartz will have the ok to install a new playbook.

That's a lifetime ago. Now the Bills are hiring coaches based on what they did 5+ years ago?

chernobylwraiths
01-25-2014, 06:33 AM
I hear that while he was a DC in Tennessee, his defenses were top 10 three times in fewest yards allowed.

Forward_Lateral
01-25-2014, 06:34 AM
I hear that while he was a DC in Tennessee, his defenses were top 10 three times in fewest yards allowed.

:rage: :rage: :rage:

swiper
01-25-2014, 06:37 AM
You've never watched a Lions game with Jim as the HC then. He was a terrible head coach. Single-handedly cost the Lions a couple of wins each of the past couple of seasons.

Sorry Historian, I usually agree with you, but you are way off on this one. Schwartz is terrible.

So basically, they sucked vs the run up until this season. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Geez. You detail how Schwartz improved that run defense every year. Let's see if Caldwell can continue it. But you know he won't.

He built that run defense to what it was. WTF are you complaining about? He took over a terrible team and improved that run unit each year!

swiper
01-25-2014, 06:39 AM
That's a lifetime ago. Now the Bills are hiring coaches based on what they did 5+ years ago?

HE'S MUCH better than the stupid suggestions of WADE PHILLIPS, JERRY GRAY, or Donny freaking Henderson. He had the 6th unit against the run last year! You said so yourself!

That in a division with Adrian Peterson twice a season.

The Popcorn
01-25-2014, 06:59 AM
I like this move. Maybe he can turn this defense into a grittier, nastier bunch to toughen up against the run.

pmoon6
01-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Some of you are assuming that he is going to completely change the defensive scheme. We don't know if he will or not. As far as a coach he took a doormat and made them competitive. I also don't get dismissing his track record in Tennessee just because it was 5 years ago, but I guess some Bills Fans always have to find a way to look at the glass as half empty.

Historian
01-25-2014, 07:27 AM
As far as a coach he took a doormat and made them competitive. .

I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but what he did in Detroit, was tantamount to what Levy did in Buffalo.

He took an NFL laughingstock and made it into a winner.

That's coaching, IMO.

Night Train
01-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Schwartz can make some calls and get replacement D asst. coaches here quickly if Pettine takes people with him.

DynaPaul
01-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Called it. Awesome hire. Dare I say upgrade?

RedEyE
01-25-2014, 07:39 AM
I think that the defensive depth chart in Detroit is relatively similar to the one in Buffalo. In other words, the scheme should translate well and there really shouldn't be a lot of focus on obtaining key defensive players. Because of that, my expectations are high for the defense this year. While I think sack totals will be high once again, I don't believe they need to be as high to be successful. I do however expect to see a better run stuffing D and a more stingy secondary. I think we will see a lot moreof Robey and I'm predicting a sophomoric slump out of Kiko.

swiper
01-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Some of you are assuming that he is going to completely change the defensive scheme. We don't know if he will or not. As far as a coach he took a doormat and made them competitive. I also don't get dismissing his track record in Tennessee just because it was 5 years ago, but I guess some Bills Fans always have to find a way to look at the glass as half empty.

Good post.

Again, given all the possibilities, I think this is a bold move (so to speak) by OBD. As some sports writers are describing it on TWITTER as being a "bold hire" by the Bills. Definitely no characteristic:

http://www.thewarroom.com/teams/buffalo-bills

ByTimGraham on Twitter (http://www.thewarroom.com/posts/5247372/read)
DC was a critically important hire. The Bills went big with Schwartz. The organization doesn't have a history of that.

Given the situation, I have to think this was a good option.

better days
01-25-2014, 07:49 AM

I read up on Schwartz since his hire.

It seems he took a more hands on approach to the Defense this past year than he has before with Detroit.

So the year Schwartz gets more involved with the defense, they go from 16th to 6th vs the run, sounds good to me.

swiper
01-25-2014, 07:52 AM
Ralph has a history of going cheap on coordinators. This hiring wasn't that.

Hoping Schwartz turns out to be more Walt Corey than Dave Wannstedt.

imbondz
01-25-2014, 07:53 AM
I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but what he did in Detroit, was tantamount to what Levy did in Buffalo.

Blasphemy. He sucks in game time management and under achieved. The Lions have so much more talent than we do and finished with the same record basically the past two years. IMO Schwartz was an embarrassment how he handled himself in Detroit. Hopefully I'm wrong w this hire but I dont like it at all.

pmoon6
01-25-2014, 07:54 AM

That's coaching, IMO.Why would you catch Hell for it? It's the truth.

Some of my "In-laws" live a couple hours from Detroit. There are a lot of parallels to us as a fanbase. They are so starved for a winner that when the team stumbles, they are right there with the whippin' stick. I thought it was a joke when Swartz got fired. Tough division and the Lions were only a game and a half from winning it.

pmoon6
01-25-2014, 07:57 AM
:rofl: I love the word "underachieved". By who's perception? And didn't the staff help get the talent there in the first place?

Meathead
01-25-2014, 08:16 AM
well i was thrilled when pornstachio came here thinking his credentials as an established dc would mean instant top half defense at the worst. boy was i wrong on that one

still i cant help but say the same thing again, that schwartz brings as much credibility as wade or ryan/pettine on the defensive side plus the advantage of having been a hc that can help develop the team as a whole with marrone. as long as they can work together its like having two head coaches which should help to spread the teaching and accelerate team maturation

ive struggled for a while to figure out wtf happened to wanny but i think maybe he just lost the fire. sorta seemed like he was going thru the motions at times, maybe he really was. schwartz seems to still have the fire which could make all the diff in the world. famous last words eh

pmoon6
01-25-2014, 08:26 AM
well i was thrilled when pornstachio came here thinking his credentials as an established dc would mean instant top half defense at the worst. boy was i wrong on that one

still i cant help but say the same thing again, that schwartz brings as much credibility as wade or ryan/pettine on the defensive side plus the advantage of having been a hc that can help develop the team as a whole with marrone. as long as they can work together its like having two head coaches which should help to spread the teaching and accelerate team maturation

ive struggled for a while to figure out wtf happened to wanny but i think maybe he just lost the fire. sorta seemed like he was going thru the motions at times, maybe he really was. schwartz seems to still have the fire which could make all the diff in the world. famous last words ehIt's obvious what happened to Wannstedt. He was in Miami for a five years. That's something that is hard to overcome.

coastal
01-25-2014, 08:28 AM
It's obvious what happened to Wannstedt. He was in Miami for a five years. That's something that is hard to overcome.i was there for a summer and I still struggle.

feldspar
01-25-2014, 08:38 AM

That's coaching, IMO.

I don't like the fact that the Lions continued to find ways to shoot themselves in the foot and beat themselves recently. They found ways to lose for sure, and THAT'S coaching. I've been saying that for a while. They have talented players on that team. They also had a reputation for being undisciplined, as we all know. There are pretty good reasons why he was fired.

But Schwartz is not the Head Coach here. Those responsibilities that I think were Schwartz's downfall as a Head Coach are basically Doug Marrone's in Buffalo.

I think it was a good hire on paper. Thank God we didn't promote from within. Losing Pettine sucks for sure, but I can get on board with Schwartz, even though my impression of him was that of a douche-bag. Now that he's a Bill, I can change my opinion of him...I can be a whore like that.

The bottom line is that I don't think the Bills could have had found a better guy to fill the spot, and I'm actually impressed they found him and arranged the deal so quickly. Another thing that I like is that the Lions owed Schwartz some money, some of which will offset because he was hired by the Bills. This tells me that Schwartz really WANTS to be here, because he could have taken some time off easily and collected the bling-bling. He's got a lot to work with personnel-wise, and I'm anxious to see what he'll do. I'll have to wait about 7 months to see it, which is a little depressing.

better days
01-25-2014, 08:39 AM
Ralph has a history of going cheap on coordinators. This hiring wasn't that.

Hoping Schwartz turns out to be more Walt Corey than Dave Wannstedt.

I read the Bills now pay their Coaches very well & when looking for a DC, money was going to be no object.

Maybe a different philosophy with Russ in charge of the team.

The funny thing is the Lions still owe Schwartz $12 Mill over the next 2 years, so the Bills probably got him on the cheap.

And Schwartz must really want to Coach or he could have sat home & collected that $12 Million.

X-Era
01-25-2014, 08:41 AM
I hope they have a presser to introduce him. I'd like to hear what he thinks about us and where he wants to take the D.

better days
01-25-2014, 08:44 AM
I don't like the fact that the Lions continued to find ways to shoot themselves in the foot and beat themselves recently. They found ways to lose for sure, and THAT'S coaching. I've been saying that for a while. They have talented players on that team. They also had a reputation for being undisciplined, as we all know. There are pretty good reasons why he was fired.

But Schwartz is not the Head Coach here. Those responsibilities that I think were Schwartz's downfall as a Head Coach are basically Doug Marrone's in Buffalo.

I think it was a good hire on paper. Thank God we didn't promote from within. Losing Pettine sucks for sure, but I can get on board with Schwartz, even though my impression of him was that of a douche-bag. Now that he's a Bill, I can change my opinion of him...I can be a whore like that.

The bottom line is that I don't think the Bills could have had found a better guy to fill the spot, and I'm actually impressed they found him and arranged the deal so quickly. Another thing that I like is that the Lions owed Schwartz some money, some of which will offset because he was hired by the Bills. This tells me that Schwartz really WANTS to be here, because he could have taken some time off easily and collected the bling-bling. He's got a lot to work with personnel-wise, and I'm anxious to see what he'll do. I'll have to wait about 7 months to see it, which is a little depressing.

Schwartz looks like the classic example of the peter principal. A great DC who makes a terrible HC.

The good news is no matter how successful the Bills defense is I doubt any team will be knocking down his door to become HC again any time soon.

X-Era
01-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Schwartz looks like the classic example of the peter principal. A great DC who makes a terrible HC.

The good news is no matter how successful the Bills defense is I doubt any team will be knocking down his door to become HC again any time soon.It's a great point. We knew Pettine was an up and comer who could easily earn a HC job soon from the time he was hired.

If Schwartz works out well we could have him for a while. We need continuity when we find something that works. Now, let's hope his defense works...

swiper
01-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Blasphemy. He sucks in game time management and under achieved. The Lions have so much more talent than we do and finished with the same record basically the past two years. IMO Schwartz was an embarrassment how he handled himself in Detroit. Hopefully I'm wrong w this hire but I dont like it at all.

I think you will be. He will not be managing a clock in Buffalo. And the Lions do NOT have more talent on defense than the Bills. And they don't have a trouble-maker like Suh here for him to have to deal with. He fought with Harbaugh. Big deal. Jim Kelly fought with Harbaugh. Harbaugh is an ******* looking to get punched in the face. Schwartz wants to reprove himself. He's motivated. He looked at the Bills defensive personnel and saw it as a great chance to put the finishing touches on something special.

He has more high points in his defensive coaching career than Pettine. Pettine had one decent season. And there were some stinkers mixed in that year.

Saratoga Slim
01-25-2014, 09:15 AM

The good news is no matter how successful the Bills defense is I doubt any team will be knocking down his door to become HC again any time soon.

Yeah, Greg Williams anyone?

DraftBoy
01-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Isn't he a 4-3 guy primarily?

Yes but he's coached both.

He learned the 43 under Marvin Lewis and the 34 under Gregg Williams.

DraftBoy
01-25-2014, 09:24 AM

The Wide 9 scheme was brought in with Cunningham not Schwartz. It may have intrigued him and he wanted to run it but its not something he's ever actually implemented himself.

DraftBoy
01-25-2014, 09:27 AM
I like the hire, there wasn't a better DC option out there for our variable scheme look which he should keep.

He's a young guy, whose tough and won't take **** (I'm talking to you Byrd and Dareus). He's aggressive and if he can get away from that Wide 9 crap and return to what he knows and runs well then I have few worries.

feldspar
01-25-2014, 09:29 AM
Another happy coincidence is that the Bills play the Browns AND the Lions next year.

Former Bills defensive coordinator (Pettine) as Head Coach squaring off against his former team

And

Former Head Coach (Schwartz) as Bills defensive coordinator squaring off against his former team.

Both guys have to travel to their former workplace too...Pettine comes to Buffalo, and Schwartz goes to Detroit.

Couple of good story lines there. Gosh, I hope they don't overplay them. :shocked:

justasportsfan
01-25-2014, 09:35 AM
Are Weaver and Henderson staying?

Skooby
01-25-2014, 10:17 AM

Schwartz is the exact opposite of Pettine. He never blitzes, and runs a "Wide 9" Defense that sucks almost as bad as the cover 2. Unless he's forced to abandon those practices, fans are not going to like Schwartz's D. Trust me, I live in Lions country, and he was a terrible head coach. Maybe he can go back to being the D.C. he was in Tennessee. Hopefully.Fingers crossed.

The Jokeman
01-25-2014, 10:42 AM

I think the Bills will let Jim O’Neil leave to be DC in Cleveland yet the rest of them are under contract so see no reason we'd let them go if their going to make lateral moves. That's of course assuming Schwartz doesn't want to bring his guys but doing some quick searching most of them that were available are already gone. One guy who is available is Marcus Robertson who's been an assistant Secondary for Schwartz in Tennessee and Detroit might end up here but then again we already have someone who can be in that role in Jeff Hafley.

DraftBoy
01-25-2014, 11:00 AM

Rumor is Pettine wants O'Neil and Weaver.

wmoz11
01-25-2014, 11:00 AM

It makes me laugh when people who think a wide-9 or cover-2 are types of defenses and then attempt to seem informed on a coach's style and scheme. It's akin to thinking the read-option is an offensive system and not just an actual play. Very funny.

The wide-9 is a technique and refers to alignment of the defensive linemen, specifically the ends. Cover-2 is a coverage which every single team in the NFL uses. Just like cover-0, cover-1, cover-3, cover-4. They're situational coverages, though cover-2 is most team's base coverage. Anyway, neither coverage nor d-line technique refers to an entire defense or scheme.

Mouldsie
01-25-2014, 11:09 AM
meh

If you guys liked Wannstedt you'll love Schwartz

IlluminatusUIUC
01-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Well better days is already calling him a "great DC" so that's the kiss of death right there.

pmoon6
01-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Yup. Bills' suck.

SpikedLemonade
01-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Schwartz is probably the best that was available. He does have experience.

Hackett remains the big question mark.

better days
01-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Well better days is already calling him a "great DC" so that's the kiss of death right there.

Well, he Did great as a DC for the Titans.

If he can continue that, he will still be a great DC.

And you can bite me.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Well, he Did great as a DC for the Titans.

If he can continue that, he will still be a great DC.

And you can bite me.

He had two top 10 finishes in scoring D and four bottom 10 finishes in Tennesee, which averages out to "Great" I suppose.

swiper
01-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Schwartz is probably the best that was available. He does have experience.

Hackett remains the big question mark.

Yes.

swiper
01-25-2014, 01:17 PM
He had two top 10 finishes in scoring D and four bottom 10 finishes in Tennesee, which averages out to "Great" I suppose.

And if he succeeds in Buffalo you will give all the credit to the personnel and not the coaching/play-calling. This is the typical Buffalo fan. Judgement made and results will be adjusted to make you look right moving forward.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-25-2014, 01:28 PM
And if he succeeds in Buffalo you will give all the credit to the personnel and not the coaching/play-calling. This is the typical Buffalo fan. Judgement made and results will be adjusted to make you look right moving forward.

I love when people try to predict how I'm going to react to something a year in the future.

And I give plenty of credit to playcalling when it's deserved. Wannestadt took basically this same group of players into the toilet, Pettine saved multiple careers and made Kiko Alonso a household name.

I will even admit that Schwartz was probably the best available right at this moment, but that doesn't mean I think he's a great hire, or the best one we could have gotten this offseason.

Skooby
01-25-2014, 02:14 PM
I'm skeptical on the hire myself but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to do well with the talent we have in place, we didn't leave him with no pieces already in place.

Meathead
01-25-2014, 03:08 PM
If you guys liked Wannstedt you'll love Schwartz

then just kill me now

mrbojanglezs
01-25-2014, 03:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Be18v_LCMAAaTb4.jpg

kishoph
01-25-2014, 03:32 PM
The Wide 9 scheme was brought in with Cunningham not Schwartz. It may have intrigued him and he wanted to run it but its not something he's ever actually implemented himself.

Thank you, people want to ignore the fact that the Lions had '90 year old' Gunther Cunningham as their defensive coordinator. In 5 of Schwartz's 8 years as a DC with the Titans, the run defense finished in the top 10. For a team that has issues stopping the run, Schwartz could be a good fix.
Schwartz may have not of been a great HC, but the reason he got the gig was the same reason that Pettine got his with the Browns, he was a good defensive coordinator.

Ginger Vitis
01-25-2014, 05:10 PM
I love when people try to predict how I'm going to react to something a year in the future.

"the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour"

IlluminatusUIUC
01-25-2014, 05:45 PM
"the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour"

And what past behavior are you basing this on?

Skooby
01-25-2014, 09:33 PM
And what past behavior are you basing this on?

Losing.

better days
01-25-2014, 10:50 PM

And I give plenty of credit to playcalling when it's deserved. Wannestadt took basically this same group of players into the toilet, Pettine saved multiple careers and made Kiko Alonso a household name.

I will even admit that Schwartz was probably the best available right at this moment, but that doesn't mean I think he's a great hire, or the best one we could have gotten this offseason.

OK what great DC would you have hired instead of Schwartz?

Beebe
01-25-2014, 10:58 PM
I hope O'neal and Weaver stay so that Schwartz runs both defenses.

Beebe
01-25-2014, 11:54 PM
And when I say I hope I mean make them stay.

DraftBoy
01-26-2014, 10:12 AM

Give the timing of when our opening was available and the fact that you think Scwartz was the best available, what argument could you make for making a better hire this offseason? We can't make Cleveland decide on Pettine any faster than they did.

Skooby
01-26-2014, 11:44 AM
It's not like Schwartz can't be a good DC, he has proven he can & he also brings a good amount of NFL coaching experience that this current staff lacks.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-26-2014, 12:00 PM
OK what great DC would you have hired instead of Schwartz?

There may not be any great DCs available, and a guy doesn't become great just because the Bills hire him.

Give the timing of when our opening was available and the fact that you think Scwartz was the best available, what argument could you make for making a better hire this offseason? We can't make Cleveland decide on Pettine any faster than they did.

I said he was the best available "right at this moment." As in, if you needed a DC within the next 36 hours then Schwartz was probably the best you could do. That doesn't make him a great hire or even necessarily the best we could have gotten. Schwartz was unemployed for over three weeks, you're telling me the Bills couldn't take the time to even bring in a second interview? Maybe Ken Norton from Seattle after the Super Bowl as was discussed briefly? This, of course, assumes that they had already done due diligence and ruled out Wade Phillips and Donnie Henderson, an assumption that I don't know the team deserves.

better days
01-26-2014, 12:14 PM
There may not be any great DCs available, and a guy doesn't become great just because the Bills hire him.

I said he was the best available "right at this moment." As in, if you needed a DC within the next 36 hours then Schwartz was probably the best you could do. That doesn't make him a great hire or even necessarily the best we could have gotten. Schwartz was unemployed for over three weeks, you're telling me the Bills couldn't take the time to even bring in a second interview? Maybe Ken Norton from Seattle after the Super Bowl as was discussed briefly? This, of course, assumes that they had already done due diligence and ruled out Wade Phillips and Donnie Henderson, an assumption that I don't know the team deserves.

You said Schwartz was not the best DC the Bills could have gotten this offseason.

I assume you mean AFTER Pettine went to the Browns because there was no need for a DC before then.

SO, who do you think the Bills could have gotten this offseason that is BETTER than Schwartz?

IlluminatusUIUC
01-26-2014, 12:29 PM
You said Schwartz was not the best DC the Bills could have gotten this offseason.

I assume you mean AFTER Pettine went to the Browns because there was no need for a DC before then.

SO, who do you think the Bills could have gotten this offseason that is BETTER than Schwartz?

Did you not read the post you just quoted? I gave three names I thought they should have considered. Would they have been better than Schwartz? Phillips has a much better resume, Henderson has familiarity with the team, and Norton has the most recent success. Schwartz might still have been the "best" option but at very least, the Bills should have done a little more homework. Schwartz isn't in such rabid demand that we needed to snatch him up in less than two days without conducting any other search whatsoever. How often have panic hires gone well?

Wade Phillips was open to returning, before someone raises that btw
Yes I would go back to where I have been before.I enjoyed and was treated well at all my stops. I just want to help a team win this year.
— Wade Phillips (@sonofbum) January 22, 2014 (https://twitter.com/sonofbum/statuses/426022108552904704)

better days
01-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Did you not read the post you just quoted? I gave three names I thought they should have considered. Would they have been better than Schwartz? Phillips has a much better resume, Henderson has familiarity with the team, and Norton has the most recent success. Schwartz might still have been the "best" option but at very least, the Bills should have done a little more homework. Schwartz isn't in such rabid demand that we needed to snatch him up in less than two days without conducting any other search whatsoever. How often have panic hires gone well?

Wade Phillips was open to returning, before someone raises that btw
Yes I would go back to where I have been before.I enjoyed and was treated well at all my stops. I just want to help a team win this year.
— Wade Phillips (@sonofbum) January 22, 2014 (https://twitter.com/sonofbum/statuses/426022108552904704)

Marrone said a plan was in place to replace Pettine before he was hired by the Browns.

The Bills knew Pettine was going to be a HC eventually the day he was hired as DC.

In fact, Pettine said Marrone would call him into his office from time to time to discuss things Marrone said Pettine would need to know about when he did become a HC.

I have no doubt Marrone targeted Schwartz as the guy he wanted if Pettine were to leave from the day Schwartz was fired by the Lions.

I believe Marrone did his homework, he just did it early instead of at the last minute.

swiper
01-26-2014, 02:09 PM

And I love when people make judgements about Schwartz based on what Dave Wannstedt did. Doesn't make sense. But that's what you did.

K-Gun
01-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Losing.

The Titans made the playoffs 4 out of the 8 years Schwartz was DC in Tenn.

stuckincincy
01-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Marrone said a plan was in place to replace Pettine before he was hired by the Browns.

The Bills knew Pettine was going to be a HC eventually the day he was hired as DC.

In fact, Pettine said Marrone would call him into his office from time to time to discuss things Marrone said Pettine would need to know about when he did become a HC.

Huh? What facts?

.. "Chudzinski didn’t last a year. Don’t think the owner didn’t help facilitate that move. Such a quick hook has turned the organization toxic, despite management’s claims to the contrary. Pettine’s hiring ended a 25-day search-and-rescue mission in which candidates emerged, disappeared and re-circled. Eventually, Pettine was selected, though not as Haslam’s first choice."...

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/01/25/with-a-new-browns-coach-words-are-cheap.html

SquishDaFish
01-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Huh? What facts?

.. "Chudzinski didn’t last a year. Don’t think the owner didn’t help facilitate that move. Such a quick hook has turned the organization toxic, despite management’s claims to the contrary. Pettine’s hiring ended a 25-day search-and-rescue mission in which candidates emerged, disappeared and re-circled. Eventually, Pettine was selected, though not as Haslam’s first choice."...

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/01/25/with-a-new-browns-coach-words-are-cheap.html

I know it was cryptic but what Betterdays was talking about was that Marrone knew Pettine would get a HC job at some point so he was showing him things. Thats what he was talking about

stuckincincy
01-26-2014, 03:27 PM
I know it was cryptic but what Betterdays was talking about was that Marrone knew Pettine would get a HC job at some point so he was showing him things. Thats what he was talking about

??? Don't know what Marrone was showing Pettine...last season was Marrone's first in the NFL, Pettine had been working in the NFL since 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pettine

SquishDaFish
01-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Maybe let him in on some stuff head coaches do??? How the hell do you know?

stuckincincy
01-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Maybe let him in on some stuff head coaches do??? How the hell do you know?

It's easy to be a CEO - or a HC. Just bark out orders to underlings and then call for your tee time. Easier in pro football, where your boss is invariably a rich egomaniac, and that owner wants a supplicant. Pettine's NFL creds dwarf Marrone's (non-existent) ones.

better days
01-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Huh? What facts?

NOBODY said the Bills knew Pettine would be hired by the Browns.

Marrone said that he had a plan in place in case Pettine did leave.

In other words, Marrone was PREPARED for the possibility of Pettine leaving.

better days
01-26-2014, 03:53 PM
It's easy to be a CEO - or a HC. Just bark out orders to underlings and then call for your tee time. Easier in pro football, where your boss is invariably a rich egomaniac, and that owner wants a supplicant. Pettine's NFL creds dwarf Marrone's (non-existent) ones.

Well, you must have been talking to Steve Spurrier. I think that was his thought when he took the HC job with the Redskins & the reason he was fired so quickly from it.

Most people know NFL HC's spend an inordinate amount of time at their job.

Probably only young lawyers & doctors can match the amount of time a HC puts into his job.

DraftBoy
01-26-2014, 05:37 PM

So your point boils down to a few maybes? This was a great hire, that being said it means absolutely nothing in terms of what happens on the field. We judge it now based on the fact that we got a good DC who has HC experience (and added value to our still relatively new HC) who can coach a hybrid scheme (something nobody you mentioned can or is willing to do). There wasn't a better option out there unless you want a complete scheme switch which is not something I wanted given how well the D played as a whole.

YardRat
01-26-2014, 05:43 PM

Well, Marrone does have the upper hand on Pettine as far as NFL HC experience is concerned. Granted, the scoreboard right now is only 1-0, but IMO doesn't qualify as 'dwarfs'.

kishoph
01-26-2014, 06:45 PM
??? Don't know what Marrone was showing Pettine...last season was Marrone's first in the NFL, Pettine had been working in the NFL since 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pettine

It was Marrone's first in the NFL, if you're not counting the 8 years from 2001 to 2008.

IlluminatusUIUC
01-26-2014, 06:57 PM
So your point boils down to a few maybes? This was a great hire, that being said it means absolutely nothing in terms of what happens on the field. We judge it now based on the fact that we got a good DC who has HC experience (and added value to our still relatively new HC) who can coach a hybrid scheme (something nobody you mentioned can or is willing to do). There wasn't a better option out there unless you want a complete scheme switch which is not something I wanted given how well the D played as a whole.

What? Ten days ago, when the rumors were floating about Pettine leaving, no one (including you) was floating Schwartz' name as a legitimate option. [http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/222407-Replacement-DC]

And why would you? He has an extremely mixed track record, capped off with this season's complete and total collapse. I mean, we have Gailey/Jauron no end of hell for missing the playoffs after 5-2 starts. Schwartz missed the playoffs after a 6-3 start in year when all three of his division rivals lost their starting QBs. And he has absolutely no excuse for it, he had multiple elite players and extremely good injury luck. I mean, we're praising him for his rush defense when, in a must win game in a biblical snowstorm, his unit coughed up nearly 300 yards to Philadelphia.

Again, he might have been the best available. But so too might the girl with 80% of her teeth and a cigarette smell once the bar lights come on at 2AM. That doesn't mean it's a great ending.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-26-2014, 09:42 PM
HC and DC and completely different animals. DC has a boss , the HC, who can rein him in. As a HC, you are running free.
I'm not saying Schwarz guarantees success in Buffalo, just pointing out the role difference.

B-DON
01-27-2014, 12:28 AM
What? Ten days ago, when the rumors were floating about Pettine leaving, no one (including you) was floating Schwartz' name as a legitimate option. [http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/222407-Replacement-DC]

And why would you? He has an extremely mixed track record, capped off with this season's complete and total collapse. I mean, we have Gailey/Jauron no end of hell for missing the playoffs after 5-2 starts. Schwartz missed the playoffs after a 6-3 start in year when all three of his division rivals lost their starting QBs. And he has absolutely no excuse for it, he had multiple elite players and extremely good injury luck. I mean, we're praising him for his rush defense when, in a must win game in a biblical snowstorm, his unit coughed up nearly 300 yards to Philadelphia.

Again, he might have been the best available. But so too might the girl with 80% of her teeth and a cigarette smell once the bar lights come on at 2AM. That doesn't mean it's a great ending.

I dont think anyone thought Schwartz was a realistic possibility given this franchises track record for promoting from within or hiring some no name on the cheap

Mouldsie
01-27-2014, 01:06 AM
He is cheap, Detroit is paying him

B-DON
01-27-2014, 03:33 AM
He is cheap, Detroit is paying him

but he's not a no name guy like 95% of the hires this team makes. The guy took an 0-16 team to the playoffs within 3 years. Funny that seems to get over looked when evaluating him

better days
01-27-2014, 09:10 AM
but he's not a no name guy like 95% of the hires this team makes. The guy took an 0-16 team to the playoffs within 3 years. Funny that seems to get over looked when evaluating him

And Schwartz's biggest strength of his defense is on 3rd downs.

His defenses have been great in that area. And we all know how the Bills have struggled on 3rd down plays especially against the Pats*

GingerP
01-27-2014, 02:27 PM
And Schwartz's biggest strength of his defense is on 3rd downs.

It wasn't last year. Detroit was the worst in the NFL in 3rd down conversion percentage allowed.

The King
01-27-2014, 02:41 PM
a huge majority of the defensive staff is gone to Cleveland.

Mouldsie
01-27-2014, 04:57 PM
It wasn't last year. Detroit was the worst in the NFL in 3rd down conversion percentage allowed.
Shhhh Kwis Bwown from www.bb said he's teh bessed 3rd down DC in teh enefel!

Skooby
01-27-2014, 06:45 PM

Won't we be getting new guys that Schwartz wants anyways ?

BillsFever21
01-27-2014, 07:24 PM
All of us would've rather still had Pettine instead of making a coaching change but he's gone and there's nothing that can be done about it. I'm happy with the Schwartz hire and that's who I hoped for last week after Pettine left for Cleveland.

To have the chance to pick up Schwartz this late in the offseason after losing Pettine is a good deal. He's experienced and also has HC experience. Unless we had found the next young assistant coach to step in and be a good coordinator then Schwartz was the best guy we could get at this point. With his defensive and HC background that also leave Marrone open to focusing more of his attention on working with and trying to improve the offense. Schwartz doesn't need somebody looking over his shoulder everyday to make sure he is able to perform his job duties.

DraftBoy
01-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Ok…and Horton wasn't available…so?

I'm not saying Schwartz is a savior or he'll lead this D to new heights. We can't know that. However getting a hire of his caliber is phenomenal. There wasn't a better option and that makes it a great hire. It's not often the Bills go after and land the best coach available. Let's enjoy that and gear up for May.

Trying to predict what will happen next season is boring and pointless. The roster will change so much between now and then the discussion is almost futile.

BillsFever21
01-27-2014, 07:35 PM

This really sucks losing Pettine after one season. Unless there is somebody on the staff that has a good grasp with his system then we need to find a proven DC. I wouldn't mind seeing Jim Schwartz. He didn't work out as a HC but he would bring instant experience and past success to our DC position.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/222488-Official-Pettine-Browns-Head-Coach?p=3904128&highlight=#post3904128

I hope I wasn't the only one who wanted him. We will have to wait and see how he works out but at least we got somebody with experience and past success. Many guys fail as head coaches but are still good coordinators. He failed as a HC but at least he is just coming off that experience and has 8 years of experience as a DC under his resume. Given who was left out there I'm happy to give him a shot then to try out some positional coach and hope that he can be a defensive coordinator. Not to mention dealing with learning curves of that type of hire. We're already going through enough of that with Hackett and Marrone.

BillsFever21
01-27-2014, 08:40 PM

Actually it was the other way around. They were the best in the NFL on 3rd down last season. They gave up 64 3rd down conversions on 211 attempts which was at a 30% rate. That ranked #1 in the NFL.

feldspar
01-27-2014, 10:19 PM
If Schwartz was entirely responsible for Detroit's defensive production as Head Coach, then why worry? Marrone is now responsible, or is he only responsible for the offensive side of the ball? If he is, then we can always let Nate Hackett off the hook. How does all that work? We usually have coordinators for a reason, right?

To tell you the truth, I cannot recall any specifics about how the Titans' defense was when Schwartz was the d-coordinator there. The most recent time was like 6 years ago, right? I find it hard to believe that very many people can really remember (if they ever knew) when Schwartz was a defensive coordinator. Some people like to project that they were not only on the edge of their seats about it, but they've religiously followed Schwartz's career that far back. I don't buy it.

People look at the stat sheet, or even lazier still, read an article and repeat those accomplishments or lack thereof and then claim knowledge about it. I can't remember the Titans defense over that entire span...not even close, and I follow the sport.

better days
01-27-2014, 10:26 PM

According to team rankings.com, Detroit ranked #1 in 3rd down conversions of all 32 teams.

30.3% 64 3rd downs made in 211 Attempts.

The Bills ranked #14

37.14% 91 3rd downs made in 245 Attempts.

Looks like you are WRONG.

better days
01-27-2014, 10:36 PM

Well, Donnie Henderson the best Defensive Coach on Pettine's staff is Staying in Buffalo.

better days
01-27-2014, 10:39 PM
If Schwartz was entirely responsible for Detroit's defensive production as Head Coach, then why worry? Marrone is now responsible, or is he only responsible for the offensive side of the ball? If he is, then we can always let Nate Hackett off the hook. How does all that work? We usually have coordinators for a reason, right?

To tell you the truth, I cannot recall any specifics about how the Titans' defense was when Schwartz was the d-coordinator there. The most recent time was like 6 years ago, right? I find it hard to believe that very many people can really remember (if they ever knew) when Schwartz was a defensive coordinator. Some people like to project that they were not only on the edge of their seats about it, but they've religiously followed Schwartz's career that far back. I don't buy it.

People look at the stat sheet, or even lazier still, read an article and repeat those accomplishments or lack thereof and then claim knowledge about it. I can't remember the Titans defense over that entire span...not even close, and I follow the sport.

Well, there is a reason a Coordinator gets a HC job. Because he did a GOOD job as a DC or OC.

That should be all people need to know about how good Schwartz is as a DC.

If he wasn't any good, he never would have gotten a job as a HC.

And reports are he was more hands on with the defense last year than he was in the past in Detroit.

better days
01-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Shhhh Kwis Bwown from www.bb (http://www.bb) said he's teh bessed 3rd down DC in teh enefel!

You should have listened to Chris Brown instead of GingerP.

Ginger is WRONG!

Mouldsie
01-30-2014, 11:22 PM
You are right. Considering the **** talent he had in the secondary that is damn good.

Still not all in though

better days
01-31-2014, 05:22 AM
You are right. Considering the **** talent he had in the secondary that is damn good.

Still not all in though

From what I have heard players that played for him say, you will be all in soon.

Historian
12-02-2015, 06:14 AM
Bump for all those clamoring for Schwartz now.

Lets see where you stood when he was hired.

Luisito23
12-02-2015, 06:19 AM
Damn it, I thought he was hired again.

Cleve
12-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Damn it, I thought he was hired again.

Yup - thought the same damn thing until I noticed the date. I sure wished he was back on staff - but the old foot-fondler had to have his own 'posse' in place. IF the defense this season were as good as last years, our win loss record would be a lot better, even with no-name QBs in the pocket.

Yasgur's Farm
12-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Pettine may be available

gebobs
12-02-2015, 11:58 AM
This dredging up old posts for public shaming is pretty damned weak.

Skooby
12-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Mitchmurraydowntown karma...

Karma's a B****.

Night Train
12-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Pettine may be available

Cleveland is dead last against the run, according to what I heard during their night game. Not sure that's the answer.

YardRat
12-02-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm more than OK with my comments at the time.

swiper
12-02-2015, 03:37 PM

I am vindicated, not shamed. So I don't care.

BertSquirtgum
12-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Rex and his clown crew need to be gone at the end of the year. Bring back the schwartz.

Cleve
12-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Bring back the schwartz.

May The Schwartz Be With Us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVz1kBnIDd0

BertSquirtgum
12-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Was hoping someone would get the reference.

Ginger Vitis
12-03-2015, 07:52 PM

Swiper spends 3/4s of his day researching old posts

swiper
12-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Swiper spends 3/4s of his day researching old posts

LOL. No I don't. You idiots are easy to show up.

Mace
12-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Hated when we hired him. Was wrong. Came to love his D. Hated when we hired incompatible Rex and let him go. Think he'd have been a mess as HC. Absolutely perfect as DC under contract for an offensive coach. Would he have remained after his contract and this year if we sweetened him with green and an assistant head coach title ? I sure think so as he spent his time increasing his value for his sweet spot job.

I will always remember his brief time here as magnificent after the junk we put up with in Tampa-2 & Wannstedt, I will always wonder what could have been, and I will honestly always wish him the very best as long as he doesn't end up in Miami.

You can absolutely be sure he'll end up in Miami in one role or another and make it all worse.