PDA

View Full Version : Why the Schwartz hire should pay big

Don't Panic
01-24-2014, 09:02 PM
In hiring Jim Schwartz to be DC, the Bills have hit on a number of factors. For one, he has a lot to prove after being ousted as a head coach. He will almost certainly be looking for a head coaching gig again soon but will probably not get offered one for at least 2 years given the reputation his teams earned as being undisciplined. Thats where the lot to prove part comes in. Add to that the fact that he should be just as aggressive as Pettine was while fine-tuning the weaknesses of our D both in terms of approach and personnel. Plus, he has been a head coach for five years which will serve as valuable counsel for Marrone given the experience of the support group he had on staff last year. I wouldn't want him as HC but I think it's an "over hire" for DC.

Mace
01-24-2014, 09:16 PM
In hiring Jim Schwartz to be DC, the Bills have hit on a number of factors. For one, he has a lot to prove after being ousted as a head coach. He will almost certainly be looking for a head coaching gig again soon but will probably not get offered one for at least 2 years given the reputation his teams earned as being undisciplined. Thats where the lot to prove part comes in. Add to that the fact that he should be just as aggressive as Pettine was while fine-tuning the weaknesses of our D both in terms of approach and personnel. Plus, he has been a head coach for five years which will serve as valuable counsel for Marrone given the experience of the support group he had on staff last year. I wouldn't want him as HC but I think it's an "over hire" for DC.

With the talent Detroit had and what they did with it under Schwartz, I don't want Marrone listening to his "counsel", imho.

Don't Panic
01-24-2014, 09:19 PM
With the talent Detroit had and what they did with it under Schwartz, I don't want Marrone listening to his "counsel", imho.

maybe not in HC calls, but certainly those 5 years are worth something when grinding out a season.

TigerJ
01-24-2014, 09:31 PM
While Buffalo was undisciplined at times last season, I think Marrone personally values discipline pretty highly. That may be a benefit to Schwartz's coaching style. I hope Schwartz incorporates some of Pettine's scheme into what he does with the Bills. If he does not, it will feel a little too much to me like starting over.

Mace
01-24-2014, 09:32 PM
maybe not in HC calls, but certainly those 5 years are worth something when grinding out a season.

What I'm hanging on in your post, is that he has a lot to prove, is no doubt torked off because he is Jim Schwartz and gets torked off, and that he did learn something and will take it out on people.

That, will be worth an awful lot and if so I'm good with it.

TacklingDummy
01-24-2014, 09:51 PM
http://goodfootproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/May-The-Schwartz-Be-With-You-Spaceballs.jpg

billsfanryan
01-24-2014, 10:09 PM
While Buffalo was undisciplined at times last season, I think Marrone personally values discipline pretty highly. That may be a benefit to Schwartz's coaching style. I hope Schwartz incorporates some of Pettine's scheme into what he does with the Bills. If he does not, it will feel a little too much to me like starting over.

What has Marrone done outside of Syracuse to prove that he values discipline? I saw no evidence whatsoever last season that showed me he values discipline. Buffalo and Detroit had the same amount of penalties (110) last season so I see no.reason to be hopeful that it's going to get better.

imbondz
01-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Not a Schwartz fan. His team had zero discipline.

Don't Panic
01-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Not a Schwartz fan. His team had zero discipline.

That's the point though... its not his team anymore. He'll stand just behind Marrone's left shoulder, following his lead. As for Marrone not having a disciplined team, the penalty stat is concerning, no doubt, but I'm willing to look at that as a baseline and hope to see growth in the seasons to come. The way I felt we were a disciplined team last year was in our mental preparation. There weren't many quarters let alone games where the team just checked out. That's pretty impressive for a coach's first year. Back to Schwartz... I feel like Marrone and Schwartz will work off each other to bring out the best in one another. They will help each other grow in areas they are weak and balance each other, while still allowing their strengths to show. This is what hiring coordinators is all about to me - getting guys you can trust who compliment your strengths and weaknesses. Between this and Hackett's hopeful development (the QB coach should help there), there should be a good deal of growth in our coaching abilities next year.