• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

A few thoughts on what Schwartz might mean

I was leery at first but reading the articles over at BB.com it looks like he will make the players very well prepared, improve the run D, and improve 3rd downs. If that's true it will make a huge impact on our D. Third downs have driven me crazy for years.

This article talks to Schwartz using the "Wide 9" scheme. But, it does speak to Schwartz being just as aggressive as Pettine.

Doug Marrone moved swiftly to fill his vacant defensive coordinator slot, requiring a little over 24 hours to replace Mike Pettine with Jim Schwartz.

My only concern is that I do not want to stop blitzing as much as we do. I want to keep the pressure up and continue to attack. But it's not like Avril, Suh, Vanden Bosch and even the rookie Ansah haven't been successful getting to the QB.

The Lions for sacks:
    2009- 29th- No players in the top 40
    2010- 6th- Suh on the team, had 10 sacks, Avril had 8.5
    2011- 10th- Avril had 11, Vanden Bosch had 8
    2012- 20th- Avril had 9.5, Suh had 8
    2013- 28th- Avril is gone. Ansah, a rookie, has 8

The Lions last year were 23rd against the pass and 6th against the run.

If you look at their depth chart on D:

DE- Bills- Mario over Ansah
    DT- Lions- Suh over Kyle
    DT- Bills- Dareus over Fairley- Some may argue this but I hate Fairley and Dareus is getting better each year
    DE- Bills- Branch over Young
    OLB- Lions- Levy over Bradham
    ILB- Bills- Kiko over Tulloch
    OLB- Bills- Lawson over Palmer
    CB- Bills- Gilmore over Houston
    S- Bills- Aaron over Quin
    S- Bills- Byrd over Delmas
    CB- Bills- Mathis over McKelvin

I like our starters on D much better than the Lions starters at almost all positions. But one thing stands out to me, Pettines D was built to be aggressive and heavy on the rush especially at LB. Schwartz's D was built with more beef at LB and favored run stopping.

I think our DL's are fairly similar in style between the two but no we don't have anyone as good as Suh. But they also don't have anyone as good as Mario either. And Hughes may be a push to Ansah. I just see similarities in the make up on the DL.

I feel like our secondary is way better than the Lions as far as talent so he should be much better against the pass than he was with the Lions.

It will be very interesting to see what they do at LB now. Yardie and others have clamored to move Kiko and with Pettine I never thought that would happen. But with a different DC who has a history of stopping the run well I could easily see him wanting to beef up the middle and Let Kiko roam on the outside.

If that train of thought holds water it could change what we do at 9 and/or in FA. A guy like Brandon Spikes becomes a much more real option. And maybe guys like Khalil Mack and Kyle Van Noy, who are both outside roamers, become less of an option. Which could mean at 9 we lean towards a WR or OT and not a LB... Some may look at a guy like Mosley at 9 but I just have never been very impressed with him. He's late to the ball too often for me, washed out too much. I like Bullough better at stopping the run than Mosley but Mosley will go higher because he's a better athlete and can rush the passer.

ILB's I like:

Max Bullough- Mich St
    Shane Skov- Stanford

I like Borland but at 5' 11" I really worry about his ability to be great against the run.

Overall I think we may very well see the Bills add a better run stuffer at LB, maybe ILB. That we may also add a run stuffer at OLB since we have pass rushers in Hughes and Lawson. We may add someone to push Bradham as our beefy run stuffing OLB right out the door.

I Don't think we'll see a NT being added. He typically ran 4 man fronts; Shaun Rogers was traded before Schwartz got there. However, he did have Josh Evans and Haynesworth in Tenn even with the 4 man fronts. That may seem to show he likes guys that can play the 3 or 5. But we have that already in Dareus, maybe Kyle and Branch.
    Last edited by X-Era; 01-25-2014, 08:30 AM.

• justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: A few thoughts on what Schwartz might mean

I thought the Lions' DL should have been more dominant than what they have been.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• tomz
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
      I thought the Lions' DL should have been more dominant than what they have been.
      I agree with that. The Lions also play in a division with fairly suspect O-lines.

Maybe the NT with more beef comes into play here? Like Louis Nix or Hageman? This is key to stopping the run IMHO. Is Fairley playing that role in DET? Maybe that's why there is a little less than expected flash in terms of sack numbers--they emphasize anchoring against the run first?

Also, DET coudl never get their secondary up to snuff.

(I still favor the stud WR personally. Especially if Watkins is there, but Evans is good too. Watkins plays taller than he is because he snatches the ball high. First pick should be the most dominant athlete available at a position of need, with 'need' defined somewhat loosely.)

Comment

• ublinkwescore
        Sab and TD are insignificant
        • Sep 2002

I think if we keep byrd, get another Lawson signing - a la the guy who was at AZ, then a fagfin, then back to AZ for our run stuffer ILB, we can focus on Offense - particularly the line in round one, then go WR, TE the rest of the draft. I literally have no problems with us going OL, WR, and TE the entire draft - maybe even add a rb...
        www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tomz View Post
          I agree with that. The Lions also play in a division with fairly suspect O-lines.
          thought they would be as good as the Panthers DL . Maybe they would have been dominant if Schwartz concentrated on being a DC but I don't know that.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ublinkwescore View Post
            I think if we keep byrd, get another Lawson signing - a la the guy who was at AZ, then a fagfin, then back to AZ for our run stuffer ILB, we can focus on Offense - particularly the line in round one, then go WR, TE the rest of the draft. I literally have no problems with us going OL, WR, and TE the entire draft - maybe even add a rb...
            Karlos Dansby isn't a "Lawson" type signing as he might be in top 3 of ILB available. A guy that would fit the mold of what we're looking for is Perry Riley Jr. but he's entering his prime, if looking for older guys a D.J. Williams or Will Witherspoon type yet both are past their prime and wouldn't advocate either one and instead go with a guy in Round 1 and look to shore up other needs in UFA. As I know I'm repeating myself but rookies on offense that make impacts at WR or TE are rare.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
              Karlos Dansby isn't a "Lawson" type signing as he might be in top 3 of ILB available. A guy that would fit the mold of what we're looking for is Perry Riley Jr. but he's entering his prime, if looking for older guys a D.J. Williams or Will Witherspoon type yet both are past their prime and wouldn't advocate either one and instead go with a guy in Round 1 and look to shore up other needs in UFA. As I know I'm repeating myself but rookies on offense that make impacts at WR or TE are rare.
              Spikes is the LB I would like to see the Bills sign.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I'm liking the idea of beefing up the middle.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                X