X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Pettine Loss is big -- Schwartz Hiring is a setback

This is a typical Bills event. Losing talent before it helps us to win something.

First of all, for those who say the hiring of Pettine will help improve the image of the organization they're wrong IMO. Pettine getting hired adds to the Ryan legacy, not the Bills or Marrone legacy. Other NFL teams will now look closer at the Ryan coaching tree for coordinators and HCs. Pettine was a lone wolf and brought a Ryan scheme that was separate from anything Marrone endorsed. He ran it, he called it and coached it. And it was the only successful unit on the team. Once again the Bills manage to lose talent before it wins us anything.

Second, Schwartz is basically the opposite DC to Pettine. Schwartz plays a simple base 4-3 defense, rarely blitzes and relies mainly on front four pressure. His unit had 33 sacks in 2013. We're basically going to be scaling down our defense. Even as the DC of the Titans he was the same. The Bills players are going to be coming off a system where they were having fun, standing up in strange looks, rushing from different positions (Mario coming off both edges as well as inside) and forcing QBs into bad decisions to a defense that will sit back and let Qbs see the field.

At least our defense will match our offense in style points.
  • SquishDaFish
    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
    • Jun 2005

Re: Pettine Loss is big -- Schwartz Hiring is a setback

Disagree. People need to stop looking at his defense in Detroit. Go back to his tenn says that's his style defense. His defense is like pettines where he adapts to his players and runs multiple type schemes. I think he's going to fit in perfect and we won't see a drop of and will see improvements in rush defense And third down defense.I think other than wade this was a perfect hire.

Also yea it's ryans tree but this shows he knows how to his good coaches

Comment

• Strongman
      • Apr 2006

I'm hopeful Schwartz will do great, but I don't see why people think he was an amazing DC. There's a good chance he will be a downgrade from Pettine. Here's how his overall defenses ranked when he was with Titans:

Year Titan's Defense Rank
      2002 #11
      2003 #13
      2004 #30
      2005 #29
      2006 #31
      2007 #8
      2008 #2

I was researching back on some of the Titan's MBs, and they attribute 2007 and 2008 to Albert Haynesworth stepping up his play because he was coming up on his contract year. For much of his tenure there, fans were calling for him to be fired. There was even a website called fireschwartz.com that was running.

I'm starting to wish they went with Wade.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
        • Jul 2002

Some people wouldn't be happy unless the Bills had gone to NE & convinced them to let Bill Belichick step down as HC to be our DC. Then after the Bills did that they'd say how much they hate the move because they've always hated Belichick & his cheating ways.

Comment

• Mouldsie
          • Aug 2012

Agree w/ this thread 100% unless Schwartz changes his stripes I don't like this hire

Comment

• pmoon6
            Legendary Zoner
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
            This is a typical Bills event. Losing talent before it helps us to win something.

First of all, for those who say the hiring of Pettine will help improve the image of the organization they're wrong IMO. Pettine getting hired adds to the Ryan legacy, not the Bills or Marrone legacy. Other NFL teams will now look closer at the Ryan coaching tree for coordinators and HCs. Pettine was a lone wolf and brought a Ryan scheme that was separate from anything Marrone endorsed. He ran it, he called it and coached it. And it was the only successful unit on the team. Once again the Bills manage to lose talent before it wins us anything.

Second, Schwartz is basically the opposite DC to Pettine. Schwartz plays a simple base 4-3 defense, rarely blitzes and relies mainly on front four pressure. His unit had 33 sacks in 2013. We're basically going to be scaling down our defense. Even as the DC of the Titans he was the same. The Bills players are going to be coming off a system where they were having fun, standing up in strange looks, rushing from different positions (Mario coming off both edges as well as inside) and forcing QBs into bad decisions to a defense that will sit back and let Qbs see the field.

What did you expect Buffalo to do? Offer him double what our HC is making to stay as DC?

Pettine was offered a promotion and a contract and took it. I don't know how the team could have changed anything. What is interesting was that Pettine was Clevelands' 4th choice and he got the job by default.

We hired a guy with a pretty good resume.

But, the fans have to stick with what works. Cry about something before you see anything on the field.
            Last edited by pmoon6; 01-25-2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• pmoon6
              Legendary Zoner
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
              Agree w/ this thread 100% unless Schwartz changes his stripes I don't like this hire
              We'll alert the media.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Bad decisions? like handing the ball off to a RB to gash the team for hundreds of yds?

The Bills may not get as many big plays under Schwartz as they did Pettine, but I doubt they give up as many big plays either.

I hate losing Pettine as much as anyone but nothing can be done about that.

I think the Bills made a good hire in Schwartz to replace him.

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                  What did you expect Buffalo to do? Offer him double what our HC is making to stay as DC?

Pettine was offered a promotion and a contract and took it. I don't know how the team could have changed anything. What is interesting was that Pettine was Clevelands' 4th choice and he got the job by default.

We hired a guy with a pretty good resume.

But, the fans have to stick with what works. Cry about something before you see anything on the field.
                  I expected them to hire from within and maintain continuity from the only successful unit we've had in years. Not hire a DC who's system is exact opposite of the one we ran and who was never really that successful as a DC in the first place.

I'm pretty sure our players are not enthused. The ONE time I want the Bills to make a cheapskate move and promote from within they act all smart and get a seemingly high profile hire.

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Strongman View Post
                    I'm hopeful Schwartz will do great, but I don't see why people think he was an amazing DC. There's a good chance he will be a downgrade from Pettine. Here's how his overall defenses ranked when he was with Titans:

Year Titan's Defense Rank
                    2002 #11
                    2003 #13
                    2004 #30
                    2005 #29
                    2006 #31
                    2007 #8
                    2008 #2

I was researching back on some of the Titan's MBs, and they attribute 2007 and 2008 to Albert Haynesworth stepping up his play because he was coming up on his contract year. For much of his tenure there, fans were calling for him to be fired. There was even a website called fireschwartz.com that was running.

I'm starting to wish they went with Wade.
                    Good DC don't go 3 years in a row with bottom ranked defenses....

Comment

• Swiper
                      • Sep 2010

How do you know that? How do you know that the Schwartz hire wasn't contingent on him maintaining the current defensive playbook? Answer: you don't.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

One factor not being weighed here is that Schwartz has a boss, so the final schemes will be determined by Marrone & implemented by him. I would assume a hybrid package that allows for random blitzing, we got to the QB quite a bit but at what cost to our run defense?

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                          How do you know that? How do you know that the Schwartz hire wasn't contingent on him maintaining the current defensive playbook? Answer: you don't.
                          Yer right,,, however, does it make sense to hire a DC that rarely or never blitzes to a team that had major success doing it the previous year and set a franchise record in sacks? Does it make sense to hire a DC who is strictly a base 4-3 guy to take on a defense that was successful being multiple?

Sure we had very spotty run defense but we definitely don't need an overhaul of the playbook to improve that. We need 1 or 2 better run defenders.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                            One factor not being weighed here is that Schwartz has a boss, so the final schemes will be determined by Marrone & implemented by him. I would assume a hybrid package that allows for random blitzing, we got to the QB quite a bit but at what cost to our run defense?
                            Then everybody who has the knife out for the ST coach should be going after Marrone?
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                              • May 2009

What a bunch of pussy ass whiners.

Comment

Working...
                              X