PDA

View Full Version : Why Schwartz's hiring could make your turkey taste that much better.

JohnnyGold
01-25-2014, 12:09 PM
In the 2014 season, the AFC East will square off against the NFC North.

For the Buffalo Bills, this means home games against the Packers and Vikings, and road games that include traveling to Chicago to play the Bears, and traveling to Detroit to play the Lions.

2013 saw the Lions host the Packers on Thanksgiving (NFC-NFC), while the Cowboys hosted the Raiders (AFC-NFC). Per league rules (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_on_Thanksgiving_Day_broadcasters), the Detroit Lions will host an AFC team on Thanksgiving day 2014. For the Lions, this means either a game against the Bills, or a game against the Dolphins.

If the league didn't already feel compelled to schedule (what will likely be) the final time the Bills travel to Detroit in Ralph Wilson's life time on Thanksgiving day, does the added intrigue of Jim Schwartz returning to Detroit--leading a top 10 Buffalo defense--to face his old Lions team guarantee a Turkey day booking for the Bills?

The schedule releases in 3 months, so we'll just have to wait and see...

better days
01-25-2014, 12:13 PM
With the Bills & Vikings playing in Toronto.

Only logical with the Vikings being a dome team & all.

SpikedLemonade
01-25-2014, 12:22 PM
If the league didn't already feel compelled to schedule (what will likely be) the final time the Bills travel to Detroit in Ralph Wilson's life time on Thanksgiving day, does the added intrigue of Jim Schwartz returning to Detroit--leading a top 10 Buffalo defense--to face his old Lions team guarantee a Turkey day booking for the Bills?

Is this what is keeping Ralph breathing?

IlluminatusUIUC
01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Interesting point.

feldspar
01-26-2014, 01:45 AM
Is this what is keeping Ralph breathing?

Shut up, douche-nozzle.

malvado78
01-26-2014, 05:40 AM
Nope it is the darth vader helmet.

Don't Panic
01-26-2014, 07:33 AM
I love an intelligent thread start... well done, JG.

YardRat
01-26-2014, 07:42 AM
That would be OK...I hate short weeks though.

Skooby
01-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Hmmm... This would give them something to talk about.

better days
01-26-2014, 08:53 AM
The choice is between the Fins & the Bills.

IMO the Bills Lions is a much more compelling game at this point than the Fins Lions.

Skooby
01-26-2014, 09:08 AM
The choice is between the Fins & the Bills.

IMO the Bills Lions is a much more compelling game at this point than the Fins Lions.

The Fins market is a much larger viewing audience than the Bills market.

better days
01-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Well I know there are Fins fans throughout Fla, BUT there are Bills fans throughout the COUNTRY including you & me & Tampa here in Fla that post on this board.

TigerJ
01-27-2014, 08:48 PM
That would be OK...I hate short weeks though.I think with league policy just about every team gets a Thursday game. Might as well be on Thanksgiving. That way, it'll be on a network other than the NFL Network and I can watch it!

BillsFever21
01-27-2014, 08:59 PM
I think we will end up with the Thanksgiving game. It's been a while and with the Schwartz hire it will give them a storyline to talk about leading up to the game.

DynaPaul
01-29-2014, 05:06 PM

You'd think that would lead to more sellouts in Miami but I still keep seeing those empty, ugly, orange seats.

JohnnyGold
04-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Thank you, thank you.

Historian
04-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Schwartz is probably wondering who's ass he has to kiss to get a Thannksgiving off with his family for a change...

MidnightVoice
04-11-2014, 12:28 PM
NFL schedule 2014: Did the Bills reveal a Thanksgiving game with the Lions?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/8/5594318/bills-lions-thanksgiving-game-nfl-schedule-2014

The NFL is set to release the full schedule for the 2014 season in the coming weeks, but the Buffalo Bills may have given us an early sampling of it on Tuesday. In a post titled "13 things to know about 2014 opponents" on the official Bills website, the team talked about multiple games next season, focusing specifically on who the Bills will be playing.

This isn't out of the ordinary because we've known about each team's opponents next season since the end of the 2013 regular season. But the Bills may have revealed that they're one of the teams set to play on Thanksgiving, eight "things to know" down in the post, emphasis mine:

All-Time Regular Season Series 4-4-1 / 1-3 on Road

Bills first year defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz will make his first visit to Ford Field on the opposing sideline after he served as the Lions' head coach for the previous five years.

Buffalo and Detroit will meet for the 10th time in the regular season in 2014. The Bills have played in eight previous Thanksgiving Day games (4-4) in team history with their last appearance on Turkey Day coming in 1994.

Of course, it's totally possible that the folks in Buffalo's PR team simply didn't know much about the Lions and didn't have a whole lot of analysis to offer on the subject. Perhaps they were just given random facts about the Bills and nothing about the Thanksgiving Day games is relevant. Or, the Bills will play the Lions on Thanksgiving next season.

The Jokeman
04-12-2014, 05:55 PM
I think with league policy just about every team gets a Thursday game. Might as well be on Thanksgiving. That way, it'll be on a network other than the NFL Network and I can watch it!

You might have missed this but CBS to broadcast eight Thursday night football games in 2014. (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24431657/cbs-to-take-eight-thursday-night-games-in-2014)

stuckincincy
04-13-2014, 12:28 PM
You might have missed this but CBS to broadcast eight Thursday night football games in 2014. (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24431657/cbs-to-take-eight-thursday-night-games-in-2014)

I think the players are right to dislike the Thursday games.