X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

What Did Hackett Do to Keep His Job?

We are focused on the new DC logically and wonder about the ST Coach, but to me whether we even get to 8-8 next year depends on Hackett.

I never liked a new NFL HC bringing along such an inexperienced OC (and no QB Coach for a rookie QB?) and Hackett really showed nothing in his first year.

As some have correctly pointed out, our rushing yards were due to the huge number of carries rather than a per carry average.

I see another year of a weak O coming up and then Marrone being pressured to throw his buddy under the bus.

Hackett was a mistake from the start and are there any results which tell you otherwise?
  • Lone Stranger
    • Sep 2002

Re: What Did Hackett Do to Keep His Job?

The Bills' problems rest with the QB position. Until that is ever settled there will be deficiencies in our offensive performance regardless of whom is OC.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
      • Jun 2024

I appreciate the QB position is the key, but why would you hire a very young inexperienced rookie NFL OC to develop a rookie QB?

Marrone should never have been given that choice.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

I wasn't thrilled with bringing in an inexperienced coordinator either, but Hackett didn't screw anything up badly enough to consider jettisoning him after just one season, especially considering the QB situation. Young guys gotta start somewhere, hopefully with a full season under his belt at this level the lightbulb comes on brightly sooner rather than later.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Bangarang
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
          I appreciate the QB position is the key, but why would you hire a very young inexperienced rookie NFL OC to develop a rookie QB?

This is Marrone's offense. Hackett is just an extension of Marrone.

Any other guy is going to want to run his own scheme.

Comment

• bleve
            • Mar 2005

I thought it was a red flag when Marrone brought in Hackett too. But, as mentioned, given the QB situation, I'm willing to see how he adjusts over the off season, and see how it plays out next year.
            "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
            ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• Raptor
              • Jan 2009

Because Marrone is an offensive guy so he is going to choose someone who is an extension of himself and will run the offense the way he would. It's really not that hard to understand

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

19th ranked offense in his 1st year with a rookie qb vs. 19th ranked offense in Gaileys 3rd year with a vet qb playing in the same system for 3 years. While Hackett doesn't impressed me yet, we can't judge his work either especially with the injuries sustained by Ej, Spiller, SJ,Woods etc.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• sudzy
                  • Apr 2013

Truth is he did nothing. But, he's Marrone's guy and he's here as long as Marrone is

Comment

• kishoph
                    • Jun 2003

As some have correctly pointed out, our rushing yards were due to the huge number of carries rather than a per carry average.

I see another year of a weak O coming up and then Marrone being pressured to throw his buddy under the bus.

Hackett was a mistake from the start and are there any results which tell you otherwise?
                    At 4.2 yds. per carry, the Bills were tied for the 9th best ypc average. When teams are trying to stop the run against you, that's a pretty good average.

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

yeah i certainly dont think hackett deserves to be fired but i would have felt a lot more comfortable if he had hired a more experienced qb coach. if it all works out great but that unit could have used a more seasoned presence in the middle of it and the qb coach could have been where to put it. but whatevs this is what theyve chosen. it has to work or hackett could easily be next januarys sacrificial lamb as marrone tries to get that extension
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Luisito23
                        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                        • Apr 2003

Run option, run option, pass, punt...Can't wait 'till next season.
                        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                          • Sep 2002

The Bills had one of the worse QB groups in the league and you are wondering why we didn't do better. Please be realistic.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                            • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Lone Stranger View Post
                            The Bills had one of the worse QB groups in the league and you are wondering why we didn't do better. Please be realistic.
                            "But...but...but...Biddy Nix gathered so much talent for this team it is not possible our QB group was that bad..."

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                              • Aug 2013

Nothing.

Marrone is just giving him more than a year to grow with EJ.

It's that simple. We don't have to like it, but it's not complicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X