What's Best For EJ? Offensive Tackle or Wide Receiver/Tight End?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

What's Best For EJ? Offensive Tackle or Wide Receiver/Tight End?

320 lbs of pure up front USDA Certified Angus Beef, or 230 lbs of Flank and Shank?

Which position will help EJ Manuel become a better, healthier quarterback?

I'm starting to think that the Bills are going to take the best offensive lineman on the board at 9.

The Bills like to run the ball a lot. Marrone is a former offensive lineman himself, and when is the last time a team won the Super Bowl with a bad offensive line?

The more I think about it, "Protect The Quarterback," MUST be the Bills number one priority heading into 2014.

If EJ Manuel gets hurt, they're toast. Doug Whaley, Coach Marrone and Nate Hackett went all in on EJ when they drafted him last year and now they've got to back their s$#t up.

Seriously, if Manuel gets hurt a single time all next season it's over. They have to protect the quarterback.

Manning and Brady get a lot of credit for helping pad their receivers stats, but none of it would be possible without a dominant offensive line giving them the time to make big plays.

The Bills can't make the gravy without the meat and potatoes. They have enough good wide receivers. Bill Belichick would have loved to have our wide receivers and tight ends against the Broncos.

The Bills need more meat up front.

Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson? I'll be happy with either one.

It's like choosing between this:

or this:

We need more cow bell...

Time for dinner.
  • SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: What's Best For EJ? Offensive Tackle or Wide Receiver/Tight End?

I think any young QB's best friend is a strong OL -- not just for pass protection but for a strong run game.

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Yes. Hopefully they shore-up several areas in FA and use the draft to get talented prospects.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
        I think any young QB's best friend is a strong OL -- not just for pass protection but for a strong run game.
        This reminds me of the Seahawks. Their offensive line can run the ball down a team's throat, give Wilson the time to make big plays, and Seattle's defense can stop the run...and pass.

And now they're in the Super Bowl.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
          • Aug 2013

I think at OG you can find a serviceable FA. I don't like using a top 10 pick no a non-skill position. I think you go OL in the 2nd, WR in the 1st in general terms.

I don't think Watkins will be there when we pick however, and unless that TE whats-his-name is an outrageous talent maybe we do take OL in 1st.

It depends on what the board looks like at the time, we shouldn't pigeon hole ourselves out of going BPA-CB/RB.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

QBs are suppose to make the people around them better, it's not the people around the QB that makes him better.

Comment

• Beebe
              • Aug 2011

GUARD FIRST TE SECOND.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                I don't like using a top 10 pick no a non-skill position.
                How in your opinion has that worked for the Bills over the past 15 years?

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                  How in your opinion has that worked for the Bills over the past 15 years?
                  Fair, but I don't think we'd be much better with a better O-Line.

This team is a QB away from being a playoff contender, and has been since Jim Kelly.

If I had my choice we'd pick a QB with our first pick every year and have them compete. Yes it's crazy, but I can almost guaruntee we would have found one by now.

The #1 reason this team hasn't made the playoffs in so long hasn't been the O-Line. It's been QB play. And if we're going to be stuck with the QB we have now, we need to surround him with talented playmakers so we know for sure he is/isn't the droid we're looking for. I can already hear the excuses next summer about how he "didn't have enough WR/TE threats" for his subpar play, nobody will be able to make that argument if we find a serviceable guard in FA.

If guard is BPA by a long shot over WR/TE, then what the hell take him. I certainly wouldn't be mad about it. But it won't be a major differencemaker, I promise you that. Even when we had the beast that was Levitre we were still terrible.

Comment

• kishoph
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                    QBs are suppose to make the people around them better, it's not the people around the QB that makes him better.
                    Yea, you hear a lot about QB's helping the linemen hold their blocks.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                      Yea, you hear a lot about QB's helping the linemen hold their blocks.
                      Peyton Manning threw 659 passes and was sacked 18 times.
                      EJ Manuel threw 306 passes and was sacked 28 times.
                      One of the main reasons why?
                      Peyton gets rid of the ball quickly.

So yes the QB does make the line better.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

OT all the way.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

No lineman in the first. We should go for the BPA in the WR, TE, and LB positions in round one. You can get good linemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
                            No lineman in the first. We should go for the BPA in the WR, TE, and LB positions in round one. You can get good linemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
                            You can get good WR, TE and LB in those rounds also.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                              I think at OG you can find a serviceable FA. I don't like using a top 10 pick no a non-skill position. I think you go OL in the 2nd, WR in the 1st in general terms.

I don't think Watkins will be there when we pick however, and unless that TE whats-his-name is an outrageous talent maybe we do take OL in 1st.

It depends on what the board looks like at the time, we shouldn't pigeon hole ourselves out of going BPA-CB/RB.
                              I HATE serviceable. I want GOOD.

If the Bills can sign a GOOD RT, GOOD LG & LB like Spikes in FA, then they would have the luxury of taking a WR or TE early in the draft.

But I think those three needs need to be met for the Bills to make a big improvement next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X