• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Not the first time a coordinator bolted early

Some of you actually around just prior to the glory years may remember this, some may not. Some are probably too young to ever have known it.

Mike Pettine isn't the first coordinator to bolt the Bills after a short stint for a HC job.

Ted Marchibroda wasn't Marv Levy's first choice to run the Bills offense after he was hired as head coach in '86. Bobby Ross was, and was actually given the job in December of '86. Barely a month later, Ross was released from his contract with Buffalo so that he could take the HC job at Georgia Tech. Dude didn't even get his office situated, let alone a full season under his belt, before moving on.

Fortunate for us that he did. We lucked out.

Maybe lightning can strike twice for this team.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Not the first time a coordinator bolted early

CLEVELAND – Claiming that the organization needed, “a fresh new approach,” the Cleveland Browns today announced the firing of Mike Pettine, the former defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills whom…
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• imbondz
      Democrats are people too
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      Some of you actually around just prior to the glory years may remember this, some may not. Some are probably too young to ever have known it.

Mike Pettine isn't the first coordinator to bolt the Bills after a short stint for a HC job.

Ted Marchibroda wasn't Marv Levy's first choice to run the Bills offense after he was hired as head coach in '86. Bobby Ross was, and was actually given the job in December of '86. Barely a month later, Ross was released from his contract with Buffalo so that he could take the HC job at Georgia Tech. Dude didn't even get his office situated, let alone a full season under his belt, before moving on.

Fortunate for us that he did. We lucked out.

Maybe lightning can strike twice for this team.
      no, it won't.
      My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • May 2024

I remember the glory years.

We are not even close to the glory years.

That is why we are so vulnerable to any step backwards.

When the Bills have publicly announced they will not be serious players in this years free agency, how do we expect to leap frog the 3 teams in our division to make the play-offs?

Do you not think the Jets and Dolphins have a legitimate better hope to improve by 2 games to go to 10-6 than we have to improve by 4 games to go to 10-6?

I would be happy to go through 2014 just to know that EJ is indeed our franchise QB even of we end up at 8-8.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post

When the Bills have publicly announced they will not be serious players in this years free agency, how do we expect to leap frog the 3 teams in our division to make the play-offs?

Do you not think the Jets and Dolphins have a legitimate better hope to improve by 2 games to go to 10-6 than we have to improve by 4 games to go to 10-6?

I would be happy to go through 2014 just to know that EJ is indeed our franchise QB even of we end up at 8-8.
          Pretty sure nobody, or very few, thought the team was on the brink of something special in '86 and '87.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• DynaPaul
            • Sep 2003

Yeah but that coach never really worked here so there was nothing to miss.

Comment

• pmoon6
              Legendary Zoner
              • Dec 2002

Pretty sure nobody, or very few, thought the team was on the brink of something special in '86 and '87.
              Actually, I thought they would be very special after we got Biscuit, but very special on defense. I remember we held Eric Dickerson way under a hundred yards and the Colts only scored 3 points with arguably one of the five best backs to play the game.

Comment

• pmoon6
                Legendary Zoner
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post

Hard to compare the late '80s/early 90's with todays game. Lots of player movement today. Back then you could actually build a team and players had to stay. After FA, we pretty much got fleeced with regard to players.

Buffalo suffers from a few factors with regards keeping a team intact. Of course if a player leaves, it's because of mismanagement or at least according to mental defectives that constantly cry in their beer.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                  Actually, I thought they would be very special after we got Biscuit, but very special on defense. I remember we held Eric Dickerson way under a hundred yards and the Colts only scored 3 points with arguably one of the five best backs to play the game.
                  Yeah, the Bennett trade was a big moment.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• WagonCircler
                    Escaped Convict
                    • Jul 2002

You have a very selective memory.

There was a ******* parade when Jim Kelly was signed.

We had just drafted Bruce Smith number one overall.

Hopes were sky high, and for once those hopes were well founded.

Your correlation between losing a guy like Pettine and losing Marchibroda is the stretch of all stretches, and it fails to take into account the census-sized list of failed "second comings" be they Head Coaches, GMs, QBs or any number of pipe dreams.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                      Escaped Convict
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                      I remember the moment I was sure we were finally going places. I was sitting in the front row of the upper deck on the 50 yard line, and Superman made his debut for the Bills, wearing #55. He chased Elway all over the field.

I had never seen a LB that fast in my life.

In the run up to that season, the big argument was "do we draft Conlan or Bennett?" Miraculously, the Bills ended up with both of them.

Bill Polian, to me, is the most valuable person in Bills history, and letting him go was their most egregious fkcup ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X