PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Schwartz Hiring

swiper
01-26-2014, 06:11 AM
Seems posters are diametrically opposed on the Bills hiring of Jim Schwartz as the new defensive coordinator. Curious to see which side out-weighs the other. Like it or not. Not gonna give you a "I'll wait and see choice," so give your gut response. There has been a day or two for people to post their arguments one way or another. After digesting that, how do you feel now? Post your reasoning below if you like.

swiper
01-26-2014, 06:15 AM
I like. I tend to fall into the "best possible choice available at this time given who is out there." I think he'll do well. I think the Bills will force him to adapt to the scheme they used last year. I understand the Wannstedt comparisons b/c of "4-3, rely on d-line, doesn't blitz as much as Wannstedt," but I would be surprised if Whaley would let that happen all over again, just 2 seasons removed from having the Wannstedt experiment here.

feldspar
01-26-2014, 06:15 AM
Is there a "I'd rather have Mike Pettine" option?

swiper
01-26-2014, 06:21 AM

I remember reading, when Pettine got hired by the Bills, that the defense of the Jets was really run by Rex Ryan. Heard it over and over. Now the guy came into Buffalo and did well in one single season with a stacked line, a ROY ILB, and a very good secondary. How good is Pettine? I'm not dissing him. I'd rather have him too, but not having that option what does everyone think about what OBD did in hiring Schwartz? It is kind of an uncharacteristic hiring for the Bills. Is this the Whaley stamp? Hope so. Whether Schwartz works out or not. It was refreshing to me to see the Bills go out and get a "name" and do it quickly.

TacklingDummy
01-26-2014, 06:41 AM
Doesn't matter. There's talent on the defensive side of the ball. They will make whoever was hired look good.

YardRat
01-26-2014, 06:44 AM
I like it. Arguing points aside, he has experience, and a track record, that is at least from this century. If he feels he has something to prove, even better. From a strictly PR standpoint, it was a great recovery from any black eye the team received from Pettine bolting so quickly. I do believe that what we have seen in the past season is the stamp of Brandon and Whaley, and so far I like it.

pmoon6
01-26-2014, 06:48 AM
I like. I tend to fall into the "best possible choice available at this time given who is out there." I think he'll do well. I think the Bills will force him to adapt to the scheme they used last year. I understand the Wannstedt comparisons b/c of "4-3, rely on d-line, doesn't blitz as much as Wannstedt," but I would be surprised if Whaley would let that happen all over again, just 2 seasons removed from having the Wannstedt experiment here.Exactly.

Even if he doesn't blitz much, I think we will still be OK pressuring the QB. Dareus and Kyle got a pretty good push in the middle last year.

Novacane
01-26-2014, 06:49 AM
Indifferent

justasportsfan
01-26-2014, 06:49 AM
Doesn't matter. There's talent on the defensive side of the ball. They will make whoever was hired look good.

they didn't make Wanny look good as a matter of fact , they turned him into an ST coach that he may never be a DC ever again.

pmoon6
01-26-2014, 06:50 AM
Doesn't matter. There's talent on the defensive side of the ball. They will make whoever was hired look good.Oh Noez. I'm agreeing with Tackling Dummy.

What is the world coming to?

DynaPaul
01-26-2014, 06:52 AM
Love it, he was the best guy out there right now.

pmoon6
01-26-2014, 06:52 AM
they didn't make Wanny look good as a matter of fact , they turned him into an ST coach that he may never be a DC ever again.Different personnel. Aaron Williams was switched to safety and Alonzo, Lawson and Hughes were added at linebacker. Our backers during Wanny's year left a lot to be desired. Nickell Robey also played a big role.

swiper
01-26-2014, 08:41 AM
they didn't make Wanny look good as a matter of fact , they turned him into an ST coach that he may never be a DC ever again.

That was the Mario Williams hurt wrist season though. He was a much different player in 2013 compared with 2012.

YardRat
01-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Talent or no talent, being able to DC passed Wanny by a long time ago, and he really wasn't that good to begin with.

better days
01-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Different personnel. Aaron Williams was switched to safety and Alonzo, Lawson and Hughes were added at linebacker. Our backers during Wanny's year left a lot to be desired. Nickell Robey also played a big role.

But it is like I said about Crossman. It is up to the Coach to decide who plays where & then to coach them up.

Wanny had Williams playing CB & not very well at that. Pettine moved him to safety & made him a good one.

Wanny is proof, the best players can't overcome a bad scheme. Opposing teams said of the Bills, we knew just what they were going to do on defense.

Skooby
01-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Schwartz got handed the keys to a corvette, I just hopes he knows how to drive.

stuckincincy
01-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Schwartz got handed the keys to a Corvette, I just hopes he knows how to drive.

Indeed. His personality might repeatedly rev it up to 6,500 rpm and side slip the clutch pedal until the drive train shatters.

swiper
01-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Bump

Meathead
01-26-2014, 03:05 PM
i just think its good to have some seasoned nfl presence in a prime spot, finally. doesnt guarantee success but it should be a much more reliable bet than another perceived up and comer in a sr coaching position. i think we might regret hackett not going the same route with his qb coach but who knows, pudge and comeback frank did pretty good as young qb coaches so keep your fingers crossed

stuckincincy
01-26-2014, 03:10 PM
i just think its good to have some seasoned nfl presence in a prime spot, finally. doesnt guarantee success but it should be a much more reliable bet than another perceived up and comer in a sr coaching position. i think we might regret hackett not going the same route with his qb coach but who knows, pudge and comeback frank did pretty good as young qb coaches so keep your fingers crossed

Schwartz was the name of the kid that succumbed to the triple dog dare and licked the pole in "A Christmas Story."

Meathead
01-26-2014, 03:52 PM
well that changes everything

better days
01-26-2014, 03:58 PM

If there were he would still be the Bills DC.

The Browns removed that option.

swiper
01-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Schwartz was the name of the kid that succumbed to the triple dog dare and licked the pole in "A Christmas Story."

and....?

better days
01-27-2014, 12:48 PM
So, 3 people do not like the hire.

They probably did not like the Pettine hire either.

swiper
01-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Now we should play name those 3 posters.

better days
01-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Now we should play name those 3 posters.

OK, let me start. I say Op is one.

justasportsfan
01-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Different personnel. Aaron Williams was switched to safety and Alonzo, Lawson and Hughes were added at linebacker. Our backers during Wanny's year left a lot to be desired. Nickell Robey also played a big role.

part of coaching is realizing where a player is best suited so Aaron Williams was in the wrong place because Wanny didn't know any better. Leodis also played better under Pettine. 2 guys who were around when Wanny was the coach. Dareus, Kyle, Mario etc, same talent different performance.

justasportsfan
01-27-2014, 01:24 PM
I am not worried about schemes at this point. I worry about philosophy and aggressive/ tough players. Schwartz supposedly likes to attack which was Marrones philosophy which is why he hired Pettine to begin with .

If Marrone hired Jauron or Wanny, I'd be worried.

BillsFever21
01-27-2014, 03:19 PM
I like the hire and that's who I proposed they should've hired last week if they didn't hire from within and was able to get somebody with experience. I'm surprised we got a proven guy with experience to replace him.

swiper
01-29-2014, 05:53 AM
Surprising results based on all the outrage posted here when the signing was announced.